Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dr Ferrari's Camper Van (off-topic discussion)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Instead of rounding up a posse here to add further fuel to the fire, it might be more prudent to report the posts and leave it to the Motors mods when they come back online.

I take it you're not coming this evening then? For the rest of you, please ensure you bring a pitch-fork and enough fuel for your torches, we meet at sunset.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Lusk Doyle

RT66 wrote: »
    Wheely GR8 wrote: »
    Never thought of that ,maybe a trench coat aswell.

Seriously. I only wear fingerless gloves. If your head is warm, your extremities don't get cold.

I was wondering why my hands were frost bitten the last time I went skiing. No hat! Thanks RT66!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

Lusk Doyle wrote: »
    I was wondering why my hands were frost bitten the last time I went skiing. No hat! Thanks RT66!

Also, skiing on a bicycle is silly.

RT66 wrote: »

Also, skiing on a bicycle is silly.

Ah, touche!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,743 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

This has turned pretty ugly pretty quickly:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056553163

It'll be interesting to see where it goes.
    The thread is closed now.

Somebody makes the point that the Rules of the Road says that cyclists must wear reflective clothing at all times, and provides this link:
    http://www.rotr.ie/rules-for-pedestrians-cyclists-motorcyclists/cyclists/cyclists_cycling-safely.html

In fact, it says merely "Wear reflective clothing at all times". This choice of wording seems to border on misleading, hoping the reader will read it as a legal obligation, rather than a predictable bit of hi-vizm from the RSA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,965 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I did think the bit about reflective clothing was odd as I had never heard of such a stipulation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

didnt want setup new thread for what bike thread and couldnt find genereal one, im looking at two bikes if someone could pm me their thoughts on the specs aside from full ultegra.

http://www.sensabikes.com/product_info.php?cPath=4&products_id=466

verus

http://www.leisurelakesbikes.com/product/cubeagreegtcracecompactroadbike2012.aspx?&id=17920

or

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/fuji/altamira-20-compact-2012-road-bike-ec031208

any thoughts by pm appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

...what might happen if you start/engage in an argument on the road.

You may be right or wrong but if this is the result then does it really matter?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

New cassette, chain and front mech last week. Gears are smoother, but not perfect. Discovered why - the pivot on the rear mech is a little stiff, so it doesn't move freely forward and back. That little 105 mech has seen a lot of crappy usage, served its time. Seeing as I've changed to an Ultegra Front mech, do I go Ultegra on the back? €57 from CRC. Not bad.

Of course that then means that I will need to find another €500 this year to upgrade the chainset and shifters to Ultegra...

(I could also try applying a little lubricant to the rear mech, but we'll call that "Plan B")

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

I have an Ultegra rear mech on my bike, still dialing it in as I've only put about 100k on it but it seems to be pretty much perfect.

Keep your eye on Adverts for chainsets/shifters, they seem to pop up quite regularly!

I wonder how PBK does any business, it's so massively overpriced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Isle of Man TT CC......

This could be interesting

"The Isle of Man CC (Cycle Challenge) is a new cycling sportive which will be held on the world-famous Isle of Man TT Mountain Course for the first time in 2012. Now is your chance to ride like a Manx!

The TT organisers have given us the use of the TT grandstand and start / finish area for this event and local tour operators are offering special accommodation and ferry packages for the weekend. Finishers will receive a celebratory medal and goody bag including an Isle of Man CC water bottle. Cyclists can either ride solo or can enter as a relay team (one lap each).

The course : one, two or three laps of the Isle of Man’s 37.7 mile (60.7 km) TT Mountain Course – ie 37.7 miles, 75.5 miles or 113.2 miles in total

The date : Saturday 15 September 2012"

EDIT : From another part of the site:-

"The course record on a bicycle has stood unbroken since 1993 when Chris Boardman passed 60mph on the descent to Creg-Ny-Baa to finish his lap in 1hr 23min 54sec during the Manx International Cycling Week."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

Seamus reminds me of a question I have: While I've been replacing my chain, cassette over the years should I not be replacing the RD pullies too? Kinda makes sense to you think?

Jawgap wrote: »
    Isle of Man TT CC......

This could be interesting

"The Isle of Man CC (Cycle Challenge) is a new cycling sportive which will be held on the world-famous Isle of Man TT Mountain Course for the first time in 2012. Now is your chance to ride like a Manx!

The TT organisers have given us the use of the TT grandstand and start / finish area for this event and local tour operators are offering special accommodation and ferry packages for the weekend. Finishers will receive a celebratory medal and goody bag including an Isle of Man CC water bottle. Cyclists can either ride solo or can enter as a relay team (one lap each).

The course : one, two or three laps of the Isle of Man’s 37.7 mile (60.7 km) TT Mountain Course – ie 37.7 miles, 75.5 miles or 113.2 miles in total

The date : Saturday 15 September 2012"

EDIT : From another part of the site:-

"The course record on a bicycle has stood unbroken since 1993 when Chris Boardman passed 60mph on the descent to Creg-Ny-Baa to finish his lap in 1hr 23min 54sec during the Manx International Cycling Week."

It's a nice part of the world - I went for a weekend trip there Easter 2010.

26192_404106364047_523199047_5023217_8346401_n_thumb.jpg 26192_404109399047_523199047_5023390_6956460_n_thumb.jpg 26192_404113294047_523199047_5023600_6870040_n_thumb.jpg 26192_404113299047_523199047_5023601_1342104_n_thumb.jpg 26192_404113339047_523199047_5023609_6129088_n_thumb.jpg

Very small. But some great corners for descending!

Something to make you want to get on the bike in the morning..

Stars and Watercarriers

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

NickWray wrote: »
    Something to make you want to get on the bike in the morning..

Stars and Watercarriers

Actually came across that last night but @1hr28mins it's one to watch through my TV.
    A little box on a 15" screen doesn't do the likes of that film justice.

Yeah I thought that too but the resolution is very poor so blowing it up would likely look awful. I wonder can you get it on DVD?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

Just tried it on the TV and it's grand to watch.Looks just like old footage that a channel would broadcast. I've a youtube app on my TV so that may be helping things resolution wise.

Good to know, thanks! I'll give it a shot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

Last night I watched my recording of Stage 5 of the Tour of Oman, and what a finish it was, ie. up Green Mountain, a fierce climb. So the goooogler in me decided to research the climb, and thanks to Taylor Phinney (on Strava), I get to see the profile of the climb and the stage itself.

Stage was 176km done @ 32.7km/h.
    Green Mountain: 5.6km @ 9.9% done @ 11.9km/h, VAM 1175
    .........and he finished in 88th pos, 9min behind the winner Nibali (just shows what you need to win !!).

Another click tells me that 'Ziggy Startdust' holds the KOM (on Strava) for that climb, but who in the peloton is 'Ziggy Startdust' ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Another click tells me that 'Ziggy Startdust' holds the KOM (on Strava) for that climb, but who in the peloton is 'Ziggy Startdust' ??

He is an old white guy, from royalty I think. Now very very thin. He used to hang around with a buch of guys in a band - I think they were called the Spiders from mars or something like that.

:D

ROK ON wrote: »
    He is an old white guy, from royalty I think. Now very very thin. He used to hang around with a buch of guys in a band - I think they were called the Spiders from mars or something like that.

:D

There was a lot of Hype around them for a while:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

Got 85km in this morn/aft. 3 climbs (repeats)of a long-ish climb plus keeping RobFowl company into Northside area into a pig of a headwind and the felt great on the way back. ;)
    Now for the next challenge.
    MUST.RESIST.PANCAKES.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭Mr.Plough

Fcuking wind in this country ;skjfsdlkfjsdlkf

TLCTz.jpg

the suspension is lovely..

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

AstraMonti wrote: »

Yeah, I'd say it'd go up and down all day for a smooth ride.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

Looks firm alright;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Too much travel on the front. Looks like its been customised...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,894 ✭✭✭furiousox

Cyclist discussing near miss with 18 wheeler on liveline now.

CPL 593H

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement