Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Psycho cyclist near miss

Options
  • 18-02-2012 7:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭

So earlier today I was heading from Kilmacanogue back towards Roundwood, and this happened at the sharp right hand bend at top of the hill after the quarry. I was minding my own business, no other cars about & had slowed down to about 45kph and just starting to turn into the bend when this idiot on a bike came booting around the apex of the bend and straight into my lane.

I welded it to the road and he slapped my mirror, I had the window opened as it was pleasant enough out, and got called a ‘c u next Tuesday’ by the stupid arrogant w****r. The mirror was ok, but I was so annoyed at first. I was tempted to turn & follow him and have a word. I did not, but I’m still pissed off at his behaviour. The guy looked in his late 30’s early 40’s so should have more cop on.

My question is if this stupid meat sack ran into me what would happen? As there were no other witnesses, would I be guilty until proven innocent? If he damaged my car how would I recuperate the cost to repair? I honestly hope the idiot ends up in a ditch & cops on before he hits someone else.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,547 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

This is standard fare.

I saw a cyclist turn left on a red earlier without leaving slowing down to take a look if he was in the clear. And hell, even at that he shouldn't be cycling through a red.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭pajo1981

glynf wrote: »
    My question is if this stupid meat sack ran into me what would happen? As there were no other witnesses...

Batter him with your tyre iron...

The guy was a ****. Not because he was a cyclist, but he sounds like a **** no matter what he mode of transport he is using.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

If, as a cyclist, you don't obey the rules of the road as you should, you deserve everything you fcuking well get.

/no pity.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

pajo1981 wrote: »

Think his skull was probably too thick :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭randy hickey

Dash cams were invented to protect you in this sort of situation.You can pick them up from €40 to €400 and theres even a thread here about them.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056524172

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

pajo1981 wrote: »

Conversely I carry my U Lock (3kg of ultra hardened steel) in my belt loop when about town on my bike for this reason.

Batter me and you will be left with no windows in your car :D

All joking aside, there is some daft cyclists about as much as there is daft motorists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

These prats dressed in their condoms are the scourge of the N11 & surrounding areas on weekends

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭650Ginge

These prats dressed in their condoms are the scourge of the N11 & surrounding areas on weekends

You get some prats on here too. This cyclist was in the wrong but you can't judge them all. Funny they were around on the roads before cars and will be around long after cars are gone.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Cyclists are knobs, especially the Tour de France wannabes.

Gave one a kick up the hole one day going over the Wicklow Gap, w*nkers were cycling three wide forcing all traffic in their lane to go around them, on a narrow twisty road! Pr*cks

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

KamiKazi wrote: »
    Cyclists are knobs, especially the Tour de France wannabes.

Gave one a kick up the hole one day going over the Wicklow Gap, w*nkers were cycling three wide forcing all traffic in their lane to go around them, on a narrow twisty road! Pr*cks

That really gets me.
    I did a lot of cycling in Germany, way back when...
    Was ALWAYS told by the others "single file, single file!"
    It was the rule that cyclists cycle single file, NEVER 2-3 abreast, because it's not a smart thing to do.
    I just cannot understand it.
    There used to be a cyclist on the dual carriageway near me, I always saw him cycling IN THE DRIVING LANE (FFS!).
    Then I heard about an accident on the same dual carriageway, later I heard it was a cyclist knocked down, then I heard he was killed.
    There is now a cross, flowers and a candle and I never saw that cyclist again.
    Cyclists:
    If you want a pretty cross and flowers in your honor by the roadside, don't keep left, cycle 2-3 abreast and cross over into the opposite lane.
    If you'd rather stay alive, keep left.
    I think it's the Irish "I Am Entitled To Be Here" mentality to blame.

This is what happens when a cyclist actively tries to block a bus overtaking him. Insane stuff by the bus driver. Why the cyclists clearly attempts to block the bus passing him by moving out into the middle of the road I dunno.

Its called taking the lane. Rather then cycling 6 inches from kerbs and allowing traffic to pass you in the same lane which can be quite dangerous, taking the central position on busy streets and bad roads forces cars to overtake you safely. At least that's the idea. Its also useful so you don't get "doored", ie someone opens the door from a parked car into a cyclists path. Lastly there is a lots of debris and drains kerbside which I don't want to get stuck in.

In the city I'm predictable and decisive about my movements on a bicycle signalling my intentions early to other drivers. I also don't dawdle, I'm quick in most traffic.

Most times it works for me, however I still get some messers trying dodgy overtake moves. In three years of cycling throughout dublin city centre I have to say that majority of these bad manoeuvres are taxi drivers in bus lanes whereas most Dublin buses behave themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭glic71rods46t0

A lot of cyclists behave like retards so the best thing is to have a default position of treating all of them as retards unless an individuals actions proves otherwise.
    "Spare the rod, spoil the retard" - dash cam to prove law breaking and then make a citizens arrest. Advise the cyclist that he has broken the law and you have evidence. On that basis you are making a citizens arrest and then call the gardai.
    I have done this just once but I was very happy that the cops took the matter seriously once they knew I had video evidence.
    Its quite legal to make a citizens arrest and reasonable restraint is permitted - I have used cable ties but duct tape would be useful too

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

BX 19 wrote: »
    Its called taking the lane. Rather then cycling 6 inches from kerbs and allowing traffic to pass you in the same lane which can be quite dangerous, taking the central position on busy streets and bad roads forces cars to overtake you safely. At least that's the idea.

Sorry,but that's also called taking the piss.

You should keep to the left. http://www.rotr.ie/rules-for-pedestrians-cyclists-motorcyclists/cyclists/cyclists_cycling-safely.html

And I cycle too btw....

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

galwaytt wrote: »

You should keep to the left. http://www.rotr.ie/rules-for-pedestrians-cyclists-motorcyclists/cyclists/cyclists_cycling-safely.html

And I cycle too btw....
    I agree with you but you didnt need to qualify your opinion by saying you're a cyclist. Taking the piss - nicely said

And I cycle too btw....
    I agree with you but you didnt need to qualify your opinion by saying you're a cyclist. Taking the piss - nicely said

I put that in to show I'm not some tunnel-visioned 'cage' driver. I teach kids cycling at weekends, and I'm no angel myself, but putting yourself in harms way will only end in tears.

And to top it off, I ride a motorbike every day, and to top that off......I came off that today.......so I'm both sore and grumpy this eve... :(

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

I put that in to show I'm not some tunnel-visioned 'cage' driver. I teach kids cycling at weekends, and I'm no angel myself, but putting yourself in harms way will only end in tears.

And to top it off, I ride a motorbike every day, and to top that off......I came off that today.......so I'm both sore and grumpy this eve... :(
    sorry to hear you had a spill. Just my opinion but "cage" is not a nice term.

And I cycle too btw....

Ok so I should keep left as far as I can get to endanger my safety? That makes no sense whatsoever.

The primary position is a recognised cycling technique and has been for years. The cyclist is a vehicle too and has as much rights to be in that lane as a car does.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/roadusers/cycling/14798.aspx

Have a read of that, its wrote for london cyclists bus its applicable in any urban situation.

EDIT:

Before this turns into a cyclist vs car debate, there was more then meets the eye in that bus ramming cyclist incident in england. A local paper did report that there had been an altercation between the cyclist and the driver so the cyclist may have been cycling aggressively but that in no way justifies the bus drivers behaviour

Its called taking the lane.

It's called being a c*nt.

• Advertisement

Typical attitude "I'm driver so I have a divine right to drive at any speed I so wish, everything else should get out of my way"

Typical attitude "I'm driver so I have a divine right to drive at any speed I so wish, everything else should get out of my way"

I'm not driver actually I'm a motorcyclist, if there's something faster behind me I'll happily move over and let it by, as you should.

Now shouldn't you be off getting your lycra gimp suit ready for your Sunday Tour de Wicklow?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,971 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I'm not driver actually I'm a motorcyclist, if there's something faster behind me I'll happily move over and let it by, as you should.

Now shouldn't you be off getting your lycra gimp suit ready for your Sunday Tour de Wicklow?

Is there really any need for that? You're not helping your side of the motorist Vs cyclist debate.

And I cycle too btw....

Ok so I should keep left as far as I can get to endanger my safety? That makes no sense whatsoever.

The primary position is a recognised cycling technique and has been for years. The cyclist is a vehicle too and has as much rights to be in that lane as a car does.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/roadusers/cycling/14798.aspx

Have a read of that, its wrote for london cyclists bus its applicable in any urban situation.

EDIT:

Before this turns into a cyclist vs car debate, there was more then meets the eye in that bus ramming cyclist incident in england. A local paper did report that there had been an altercation between the cyclist and the driver so the cyclist may have been cycling aggressively but that in no way justifies the bus drivers behaviour

I didn't say ride in the gutter, and I wouldn't either, and the TFL link says it MAY be safer to ride in the centre of the lane. MAY. Like not when theres other, larger, heavier traffic about. To do so would be poor judgement, and exposing yourself to even greater risk. No point in being 'right', and dead/injured.

You cannot ride a full door length out from parked cars. There is not enough room in an urban environment..... I did my Cat C licence test last year, and if trucks can't, bikes definitely can't.

And I'm not so sure you have equal rights to a 'vehicle'. I'd like too see something official on that to be convinced.

Ode To The Motorist

Its gas the way cyclists feel agrived at the behaviour of motorists but treat pedestrians way worse.
    Jumping lights at pedestrian crossings is very common in the city centre. I have clothes lined several cyclists at College Green.

And I'm not so sure you have equal rights to a 'vehicle'. I'd like too see something official on that to be convinced.

Bicycles are regarded as vehicles under Irish law I'm afraid.

http://dublincycling.ie/node/324
    At the outset, it is important to note that cyclists, in riding a bike, are driving a vehicle in both Irish (Road Traffic Act, 1961) and international (UN Vienna Convention on Road Traffic, 1968) law.

Is there really any need for that? You're not helping your side of the motorist Vs cyclist debate.
    ah come on, where's your sense of humour - that was pretty funny!

Its gas the way cyclists feel agrived at the behaviour of motorists but treat pedestrians way worse.
    Jumping lights at pedestrian crossings is very common in the city centre. I have clothes lined several cyclists at College Green.

I feel aggrieved at anyone who acts improperly on the road, be that a pedestrian, cyclist or motorist. Not every pedestrian is an eejit, not every cyclist is an eejit, not every motorist is an eejit etc. As always there's a mix of good and bad.

Depends. Bendy country road? I'll hold the lane. I don't want something overtaking me on a blind corner potentially endangering me if something comes the other way. Think of it this way, your on a slow moped ect (not saying you have one, but for arguments sake), would you want someone to overtake you on a blind corner?

Straight patch or somewhere where there is good line of sight. I'll keep as far left as practically possible. Give way to faster traffic proceeding from the right and all that.

Don't get me wrong, Ill keep as far left as I can for my safety but sometimes its a necessaries measure to stop me from becoming mince meat.

• Advertisement

I think a lot of cyclists simply have the same attitude as a lot of driver.

Essentially that they own the road and shouldn't yield an inch for any other road user. The difference is that cyclists are more noticable as they move a lot slower than cars.

As a motorist, I like to be able to drive with an open road ahead of me. I hate traffic and I hate being held up. Knowing this, I believe that this is the same for other road users. Hence, if I am holding up another road user, I try my utmost to safely leave the other road user to pass me. It's just common courtesy.

If every road user would do this, there would be little road rage, road users would generally be happier, road congestion would be less and the roads would work a lot more efficiently.

But this is Ireland and there's always people on the road who try to rub other road users up the wrong way. Sad.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement