Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dr Ferrari's Camper Van (off-topic discussion)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

Cycling to work yesterday, I was stopped behind a bus that was taking up most of the cycle lane. Chap come belting up behind me on his bike, tries to do a bunny hop up onto the footpath (which is crowded with people), fails miserably and ends up sprawled on the ground. Gets back on his bike, cycles straight through the red light. I don't there's anything you can say to people like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

colm18 wrote: »
    I don't there's anything you can say to people like that.

i think I'd have to quote Nelson from the simpsons and say 'HA HA'

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Some clown joined from Parkgate street yesterday as I was coming over the bridge.
    I politely told him that it wasn't a gap if I had to brake. Cue him desperately racing up the quays with me leisurely cycling directly beside him. I chatted about the weather, pointed out red lights (much to his annoyance I presume but he couldn't let himself "win" unfairly now) , busses about to stop etc. He got a good workout, and I got to practice my halfwheeling.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

Jawgap wrote:
    "Well we'll remind you of that when we're scraping you off the road"

Does the garda employee handbook include "Instil fear and paranoia in the general public!" in it these days or something - for a garda to suggest that cycling on the road essentially means certain death is shockingly ignorant.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,021 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

daragh_ wrote: »
    Chap in his mid 30's, on his way to work, jumped past a few of us waiting at the lights, lashed through the red, missing a women and her small child at the crossing by an inch. I caught him a few metres up the road and said (calmly enough) that he was giving the rest of us a bad name. He went ballistic, screamed at me and got very abusive

A more appropriate approach might be to do very close pass.

He can't complain about not being given space after ploughing through a pedestrian crossing like that.

I'd never do it, obviously. Someone could get hurt.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Pretty sweet new feature on veloviewer.com - Rivals!

I think Ryan Sherlock will feature heavily on everyone's...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,609 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

So it turns out my crank extractor won't fit in my cranks as it's too long, my chain breaker won't work with 1/8th chains, and I can't get this seatpost to move. Trip to the LBS it is then, could be a feckin' pricey job too. Might wait though, and get the star nut installed and steerer tube cut on the new frame.

Which I'm still waiting on this frame to come, it finally says it's out for delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

Lumen wrote:
    A more appropriate approach might be to do very close pass.

He can't complain about not being given space after ploughing through a pedestrian crossing like that.

That is actually recommended in the christian handbook as "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you" or, put more colloquially, "Mess with a christian brother [other religions are available], christian brother gonna mess you up".
    Lumen wrote:
    I'd never do it, obviously. Someone could get hurt.

No it's grand, god will see them right. I, for one, take comfort in that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

I'd respond to that shout with "Real men don't need a machine to move them around like an invalid"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I'd respond to that shout with "Real men don't need a machine to move them around like an invalid"

I believe Cian Healy drives a monstrous defender complete with all the unnecessary funnels, bars, cages and other crap reserved for safari vehicles.

He's a bit of a meat head anyway.

7A49F7B1ABED3B11B2B06A6E637F83_h416_w624_m2_q80_cERiRbYSE.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭AIR-AUSSIE

The lads making their way to the Eurotunnel in London

BO5Xx2JCUAAoiMC.jpg

The Irishcorner twitter profile is picking up some pace too.

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    I believe Cian Healy drives a monstrous defender complete with all the unnecessary funnels, bars, cages and other crap reserved for safari vehicles.

Donnybrook tractor?

Does anyone know where to get a replacement for a 'B' screw for an Ultegra derailleur? I've a feeling that if I don't replace this one soon I'm going to end up needing a pliers to get it out when the head goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

something_here_doesnt_quite_fit_07.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

He (Cian Healy) got a bike in June to work the ankle after he was injured.....

......obviously not into the cycling thing, yet.

Here's snap of what he got

BOPNpFzCMAAgZ4T.jpg

Not sure I'd want to be the one to tell him to get rid of the pie plate and reflectors.

He's also been tweeting about his cycles around the city - he's not enjoying it:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Max_Charger

Prob a repeat but good documentary on Mark Cavindish just on now on ITV4.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Officially the least practical working vehicle ever produced:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syJq10EQkog&feature=c4-overview&list=UUaaBYl_LnxAecUOgfVTQHvg

Of course the point of ridiculous machines like this is really to make small design strides - for example in trying to get this to work, perhaps they discovered a more efficient blade design which they can sell to the aviation industry.

I always though this was the kind of thing Obree should be getting drafted in for. His innate engineering aptitude is beyond that of mere mortals.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

seamus wrote: »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syJq10EQkog&feature=c4-overview&list=UUaaBYl_LnxAecUOgfVTQHvg

Of course the point of ridiculous machines like this is really to make small design strides - for example in trying to get this to work, perhaps they discovered a more efficient blade design which they can sell to the aviation industry.

I always though this was the kind of thing Obree should be getting drafted in for. His innate engineering aptitude is beyond that of mere mortals.

Any idea what the power requirements were to get liftoff and maintain flight? The design looks very, very lighweight but even with that getting a human to maintain flight is worth of a massive kudos.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

imagine the damage tony martin could do with that front chain ring!

airwolf, eat your heart out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

When other Commuters run red lights I now ring my bell, its non confrontational and has a kind of shaming effect, usually results in very bashful looks from offenders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭laraghrider

lennymc wrote: »
    imagine the damage tony martin could do with that front chain ring!

airwolf, eat your heart out.

Did you see the size of what he had on during the TT. It wasn't far off that video. Think they said on cycling news it was a 58!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

seamus wrote: »

WANT IT! WANT IT!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭colm_gti

colm_gti wrote: »
    A 52kg cervélo....feic that!

:( My lidl repair stand only supports up to 30kg. I feel this would cause me issues with maintenance...

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Brad768

The Contador impression is perfect. Voeckler impression cracked me up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭marketty

you know you're cycling home for a BBQ when you have a bottle of red sauce in your bottle cage

• Registered Users Posts: 21,609 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Seen a lad on a mtb the other day on the Malahide Road with a GoPro attached to a cap. Bit of a weird one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,961 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

If anyone saw a boardsie violently gyrating on Parnell Street this evening, it was myself.

I turned the corner from O'Connell Street to discover fresh horse dung (Garda mounted unit?) smeared on the road. I was beyond the point of no return and just about managed to hold it together! :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement