Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dr Ferrari's Camper Van (off-topic discussion)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Best place to see it is from within the bunch ;)

Failing that, there'll be a load of people standing around near the start/finish line, so that's probably the best place. If you're looking to take photos, probably standing at the corners on the eastern side of the track are the best places to get action shots as they're the fastest corners.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Ziboo

A potential solution to the repeated threads about bad cycle lanes: A new Bike ?????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭Scuba_Scoper

seamus wrote: »
    Best place to see it is from within the bunch ;)

Next year !!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

ROK ON wrote: »
    F#ck off would ya. The last time you were out there you wupped everyone. It's my turn to win tomorrow.

This time I'll be with the chasers and if statistics are to go by then we wont catch ya'. :D

So, are you guys meeting up somewhere in city before heading out and what time?

So officially what happened tonight is that I punctured just as I was about to make a comeback. In reality it was 25% "ah crap" and 75% "oh thank fnck I can drop out". I have a million excuses ranging from the wind to Hmmzis being a sandbagging machine, but excuses, excuses :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭Scuba_Scoper

Super seeing the racers in Corkagh tonight... was that Hmmmzis that won?? Nice to see a boards jersey bringing home the bacon. Must have been crap facing into that headwind on the home straight each time.:eek:

Definitely interested in racing next year

I assume it was Hmmzis, didn't get a chance to talk to the two boards jerseys beforehand. Yeah, that reverse direction with the headwind is savage. There's no let up at all. Going the anticlockwise direction you get some respite on the western and southern straights. Clockwise you have to keep the power up through the corners and then fight the headwind on the straights. There were a lot of drop outs tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

Super seeing the racers in Corkagh tonight... was that Hmmmzis that won?? Nice to see a boards jersey bringing home the bacon. Must have been crap facing into that headwind on the home straight each time.:eek:

Definitely interested in racing next year

Yup, that was me. Was one helluva tough race, the wind made it what it was today, there was minimal shelter on the South straight on anyone's wheel. Have to thank the other 4 lads who were working with me at the front, it's nice to have a wheel to sit on once in a while.

Was there actually a bunch left at the end of it or did all of the race split to groups of 4 and 5? I know there was another group chasing us and they were like 10-15sec behind all the time. Was there anything behind them that would resemble a bunch?

Now have two issues to sort out, my rear derailer getting stuck half way through making me finish the thing with just one gear and the cramping up of my right calf muscle in the final sprint.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

God damn nobody will buy the GoPro I have up for sale even though I have it up for sale 100 euro cheaper than anywhere else..and I need it to sell so I can afford cycling related pieces of equipment :(

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Zyzz wrote: »
    God damn nobody will buy the GoPro I have up for sale even though I have it up for sale 100 euro cheaper than anywhere else..and I need it to sell so I can afford cycling related pieces of equipment :(

If you throw in the dog then I'll make an offer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

If you throw in the dog then I'll make an offer.

Speak of the devil..

1OE4yfP.jpg?1

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSQL0agII2aSbt-DfEf3w0MLQ7pylRPpMOAMoeqDRc37MeE6LW5Rw

• Registered Users Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭buffalo

Hmmzis wrote: »
    Yup, that was me. Was one helluva tough race, the wind made it what it was today, there was minimal shelter on the South straight on anyone's wheel. Have to thank the other 4 lads who were working with me at the front, it's nice to have a wheel to sit on once in a while.

Was there actually a bunch left at the end of it or did all of the race split to groups of 4 and 5? I know there was another group chasing us and they were like 10-15sec behind all the time. Was there anything behind them that would resemble a bunch?

Jaysus, I'm only just in the door from the pub, I'll do the report tomorrow and you can find out then!

PS no. That chasing group were riding for the last two placings after your break of four. After them were about six or seven, slightly scattered, including the women. And FrankGrimes, who rode like a savage, but unfortunately started late.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Zyzz wrote: »
    Speak of the devil.. wookie

FYP:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

doozerie wrote:
    My very reliable and very comfortable 10+yr old Selle Italia Flite has died.

Apparently this snapping of my saddle rail on Wednesday was a warning. And apparently I didn't heed it. This morning my steel-framed MTB escalated hostilities and shot itself in the dropout. Yeah, that'll teach me!

My commute was going okay until, a couple of kilometres from work, the back end of the bike started to feel a bit "spongy". A quick glance down confirmed that it wasn't a puncture. It couldn't be the frame, I thought. Not again. But yes, the very same dropout that snapped and was replaced under warranty about 5 or 6 years ago had snapped again. Bah! Cycling home later should be interesting, with my now poorly named hardtail.

Anyone know anywhere in or around Dublin that builds or repairs frames and might be able to replace/weld a dropout on a steel frame? I'm looking into the possibility of it being covered under warranty but I'm not optimistic so I'm exploring alternatives in the meantime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Who manufactured frame? Trek have lifetime guarantee on frame to original owner.

doozerie wrote: »
    Apparently this snapping of my saddle rail on Wednesday was a warning. And apparently I didn't heed it. This morning my steel-framed MTB escalated hostilities and shot itself in the dropout. Yeah, that'll teach me!

My commute was going okay until, a couple of kilometres from work, the back end of the bike started to feel a bit "spongy". A quick glance down confirmed that it wasn't a puncture. It couldn't be the frame, I thought. Not again. But yes, the very same dropout that snapped and was replaced under warranty about 5 or 6 years ago had snapped again. Bah! Cycling home later should be interesting, with my now poorly named hardtail.

Anyone know anywhere in or around Dublin that builds or repairs frames and might be able to replace/weld a dropout on a steel frame? I'm looking into the possibility of it being covered under warranty but I'm not optimistic so I'm exploring alternatives in the meantime.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

@ford2600, It's a Kona and the warranty info that I've found for them isn't entirely clear. It looks like frames made from 2009 onwards have a lifetime warranty (to original owner) suggesting that anything earlier than that (including mine) doesn't. I'm in contact with a local dealer though and they are looking into it so hopefully I'll know for sure soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

doozerie wrote: »
    @ford2600, It's a Kona and the warranty info that I've found for them isn't entirely clear. It looks like frames made from 2009 onwards have a lifetime warranty (to original owner) suggesting that anything earlier than that (including mine) doesn't. I'm in contact with a local dealer though and they are looking into it so hopefully I'll know for sure soon.

On basis of original post it appears it's a reoccurrence of an original fault. If first failure was covered, why shouldn't 2nd failure?

In my mind this is an obvious defect. I wouldn't be rolling over on this if I was you.

Best of luck with it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭buffalo

Sagan, Hondo... these guys are fads. Jens Voight will always be my first love: http://bicycling.com/blogs/hardlyserious/2013/06/14/my-craziest-day/

A great account of not giving up.

League of Ireland football. Can't beat the real thing.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

League of Ireland football. Can't beat the real thing.

Went to Ferrycarrig Park myself tonight, can't wait to get back to going to Tallaght again. I also missed both goal tonight.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

Went to Ferrycarrig Park myself tonight, can't wait to get back to going to Tallaght again. I also missed both goal tonight.

Eric scored two absolute screamers. Second one was one of the best I've ever seen at our place. He can really bang them in when given the chance.

Feel free to drop me a message next time you're going down to Ferrycarrig, I'll be at all the games for the rest of the season.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Eric scored two absolute screamers. Second one was one of the best I've ever seen at our place. He can really bang them in when given the chance.

Feel free to drop me a message next time you're going down to Ferrycarrig, I'll be at all the games for the rest of the season.

Coincidence there, were you part of the singing section, lol? I'm working in Wexford for the next few weeks so I should be at the Athlone game.

EDIT: I should have looked at your location.

Coincidence there, were you part of the singing section, lol? I'm working in Wexford for the next few weeks so I should be at the Athlone game.

EDIT: I should have looked at your location.

Nope, not a singer! I usually go to the matches with my father, so we stand over by the dugouts. Will keep an eye out for you at the Athlone game!

Nope, not a singer! I usually go to the matches with my father, so we stand over by the dugouts. Will keep an eye out for you at the Athlone game!

I'll let you know in advance. It was my first time there, I love the way there's a small stand which had about as many people in it as the bar overlooking the pitch.

It was one of our smallest attendances all year, only about 130-140 there. We usually get between 200-300. When I started going there, we'd get 600-800.

But this is by a million miles our best year on the pitch. Strange stuff. Wexford county is crying out for a proper sports team to get behind, now that our hurlers and gaelic footballers are rubbish.

It was one of our smallest attendances all year, only about 130-140 there. We usually get between 200-300. When I started going there, we'd get 600-800.

But this is by a million miles our best year on the pitch. Strange stuff. Wexford county is crying out for a proper sports team to get behind, now that our hurlers and gaelic footballers are rubbish.

I unfortunately see similarities with Kilkenny City, pitch too far away from town, nice but basic facilities, small attendances. I'd say the ground is set up though to be developed quickly if ever it did take off. I'd say if you got into the play-off slot, it'd create a buzz about the place. Every LOI team should be made to allow kids in for free, get them hooked young.

I unfortunately see similarities with Kilkenny City, pitch too far away from town, nice but basic facilities, small attendances. I'd say the ground is set up though to be developed quickly if ever it did take off. I'd say if you got into the play-off slot, it'd create a buzz about the place. Every LOI team should be made to allow kids in for free, get them hooked young.

You're right, but the thing about Kilkenny is that they are very definitely a hurling county more than anything. It seems to be that Wexford can get behind any particular sport - Hurling, Gaelic, Rugby, Boxing, or Football. Given a good enough reason of course. The team that Shane Keegan is currently building at the Youths at the moment is definitely big enough to surpass anything the Hurling or Gaelic will be producing in the next few years. Some man for one man.

Assuming the club doesn't go under in the next few years, there's no reason we can't follow the likes of Sligo, Dundalk, or Drogheda to bigger and better things.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Tour Divide 2013 Race......

http://tourdivide.org/

http://trackleaders.com/tourdivide13

England's Mike Hall, Round The World Race record holder out in the lead. Animal.
    http://www.pivotcycles.com/news/item/138

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

This sounds like a race for Bear Grylls.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement