Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dr Ferrari's Camper Van (off-topic discussion)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

buffalo wrote: »
    Of all the weekends to be saddled with the on call roster. Realistically can't go on anything resembling a spin... I'm debating setting up the rollers in the back garden, but my legs still hurt from Thursday's league race. Choc ice it is so!

I'm saddled with a child all weekend.

I'm actually considering getting out at 6am tomorrow before the missus has to leave just so I don't get to Sunday night and this weekend (which lets face it is the best we're going to get all year) has been completely wasted...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,345 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

barbie beer 20 plus degrees in donegal

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

My tan lines are complete.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

barbie beer 20 plus degrees in donegal

Filed under "Things you don't hear every day".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

My tan lines are complete.

I'm gonna need a trip down the east coast for the left side.

The right side looks grand though :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Crossed paths with a United Healthcare rider on the Blessington lakes - Martin Irvine perhaps. Didn't think it was Deignan, but my eyesight is poor enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

ROK ON wrote: »
    Crossed paths with a United Healthcare rider on the Blessington lakes - Martin Irvine perhaps. Didn't think it was Deignan, but my eyesight is poor enough.

is martin back from his injury so had nasty crash in Asia not so long ago?

Deignan is alot more slight I have seen him flying along the n7 in his old cervelo gear

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

I haven't noticed a thread about "knock-off" frames and clothing here in a while, but the topic continues to divide people. There is nothing of significance in the article itself, it reads a little like a press statement from Specialized, but the comments encompass many of the arguments for and against - there is even mention of knock-off parts for airlines causing "aircraft to disintegrate in midair resulting in death and severe injury", a comment presumably inspired by the poster thinking the discussion lacked sufficient hysteria.

Every now and again I wonder about the truth behind many of the claims made about knock-off frames ("there are exactly the same as the branded versions, my 10euro frameset is the very same as the branded one that Wiggins rides, the loser", "you'll die if you ride one, for sure, at the very least they cause cancer", etc.), then I read an article like the one above and its associated "discussion" and I just lose the will to live - I guess that's what I get for buying a knock-off life for half the price of a real one, it's prone to quality variations *sigh*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

doozerie wrote: »
    I haven't noticed a thread about "knock-off" frames and clothing here in a while, but the topic continues to divide people. There is nothing of significance in the article itself, it reads a little like a press statement from Specialized, but the comments encompass many of the arguments for and against - there is even mention of knock-off parts for airlines causing "aircraft to disintegrate in midair resulting in death and severe injury", a comment presumably inspired by the poster thinking the discussion lacked sufficient hysteria.

Every now and again I wonder about the truth behind many of the claims made about knock-off frames ("there are exactly the same as the branded versions, my 10euro frameset is the very same as the branded one that Wiggins rides, the loser", "you'll die if you ride one, for sure, at the very least they cause cancer", etc.), then I read an article like the one above and its associated "discussion" and I just lose the will to live - I guess that's what I get for buying a knock-off life for half the price of a real one, it's prone to quality variations *sigh*

You brought it on yourself. Reading the comments pfffft. You some kind of Internetz noob??? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭tfrancer

"Top American brand Specialized and Invista, the company behind Lycra and Coolmax fabric, worked with Homeland Security Investigations (HSI) officers in Houston, Texas, to shut down the international sites this week."

I thought Homeland Security was set up to protect Americans from terrorist threats rather than fake jersies and dodgy bicycle parts???

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

9005245966_d745079d9c_z.jpg

Spotted in town this morning. An image of someone faceplanting on the Luas tracks might have been more effective.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭marketty

tfrancer wrote: »
    "Top American brand Specialized and Invista, the company behind Lycra and Coolmax fabric, worked with Homeland Security Investigations (HSI) officers in Houston, Texas, to shut down the international sites this week."

I thought Homeland Security was set up to protect Americans from terrorist threats rather than fake jersies and dodgy bicycle parts???

Don't you know that when you buy counterfeit goods/download pirated media you are directly funding international terrorism??

• Registered Users Posts: 8,068 ✭✭✭buffalo

Spotted in town this morning. An image of someone faceplanting on the Luas tracks might have been more effective.

By the Bleeding Horse? Thought it was phrased in a rather passive-aggressive manner myself. Why not just have "Bikes are not allowed in tram lanes". And then a picture of bike being crushed slowly by a tram.

buffalo wrote: »
    By the Bleeding Horse? Thought it was phrased in a rather passive-aggressive manner myself. Why not just have "Bikes are not allowed in tram lanes". And then a picture of bike being crushed slowly by a tram.

Not enough. Needs more gore. The masses are apathetic at the best of times, messages can only be successfully communicated if they "touch your heart" or "make you sick to your stomach". Then in six months you need to re-invent your campaign cos they've acclimatised to the previous one already and forget the message.

I mean look at all those kids wearing Cradle of Filth t-shirts now, no-one bats an eyelid, in my day....

You brought it on yourself. Reading the comments pfffft. You some kind of Internetz noob??? :)

My stocks of inner indignation and rage were running low, I needed to replenish them and Internet comments do this nicely.

This is an interesting read on how to recognise when someone is drowning, it challenges some probably common misconceptions. As I read the description I was reminded of a near drowning incident from my own early years which fitted with a lot of what the article states - I was less than 1m from an apparently oblivious school teacher overseeing the swimming "lesson" when it happened (whatever about the intended lesson from that session, the lesson that I took from it was to not trust a supervising adult who casually insists "Look, just jump into the pool, I'm right here, what's going to happen?!" - such a statement may precede what seems like a long time spent squirming underwater and watching bubbles of air fleeing for the surface right in front of your eye until comforting blackness envelops you). Ah, the nostalgia of health and safety standards in the early 80's!

The same site has this article on the benefits of balance bikes over training wheels, for kids:
    To learn to bike, you must solve two problems: the pedaling problem and the balance problem. Training wheels only solve the pedaling problem—that is, the easy one. Learning to balance on a bike is much more difficult, and a “training” tool that eliminates the need to balance is worse than beside the point. Training wheels only train you to ride a bike with training wheels. It’s no wonder your first experience riding a bike with no training wheels was terrifying! You’d never done anything like it before.

The article includes a link to [ a Parent Tip Sheet on teaching kids to ride a bike without training wheels.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

The only useful pie chart:

PiesIHaveEaten.png

9005245966_d745079d9c_z.jpg

I don't believe the statement on the poster is even correct, or perhaps it is just ambiguous (I guess it depends on the strict definition of "tram lanes"). Some LUAS lines are on shared roads, so some lanes for trams are indeed for other traffic too which obviously includes bicycles. I raised this with the RPA a few years back when they stated in some public material that cyclists should not cycle even on "shared running" areas with tram lines, and they essentially said that they wouldn't change their advice/wording as they were trying to discourage cyclists from using such lanes even where they legally could. They seemed to assume that a change of wording would somehow encourage cyclists to treat all tram lines, even non-shared ones, as being open to cyclists.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Cue lots of Audrey Hepburn wannabes pootlng down the Luas line on High Nellies from the Odeon to Stephens Green and back again, during the good weather.

Cycling on LUAS lines, its illegal and you can look really stylish doing it, go on, you know you want to.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I'd be more concerned that her handbag is unsecured in the front basket. Either a scumbag will swipe it at the lights or when she falls off the bike.

Fair play, out of the saddle and pumping hard, Dirk approves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

Her saddle is way way too low.

Letters of complaint to the ASA, I don't see any brakes on that Bike, tut tut.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

CramCycle wrote: »
    Letters of complaint to the ASA, I don't see any brakes on that Bike, tut tut.

Coaster brake :pac:

BX 19 wrote: »
    Coaster brake :pac:

Wouldn't want to be fixed with skinny legs like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭AIR-AUSSIE

The New York Times Releases an interactive map for cyclists in New York to share their Biking Wisdom in 10 Words - Article

Interactive Map

Also takes recommended routes from strava.

Not sure how useful it is or will be, but should get some good use, now that they've rolled out their bike share scheme.

Although combining strava and raceshape seem to have something similar already: Heat map of Dublin Cycle Routes

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Heads up for anyone cycling on Stocking Lane, when I was descending about 25 minutes ago a big built entrepreneur with blond hair and a celtic jersey stepped into my path to slow me down and was asking "How much does one of dem things cost" as I zipped past him.

I don't think he was there because it was the best place to price a roadbike.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

Heads up for anyone cycling on Stocking Lane, when I was descending about 25 minutes ago a big built entrepreneur with blond hair and a celtic jersey stepped into my path to slow me down and was asking "How much does one of dem things cost" as I zipped past him.

you should report this to the gardai, they always do a patrol as cars can be broken into while parked on road.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Similar experience in Clonskeagh a couple of weeks back coming home from UCD, and I drew a similar conclusion and kept moving. I wouldn't mind, but I was on my ageing hybrid, and the first response that came to mind was "how much do you have?"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

manafana wrote: »
    you should report this to the gardai, they always do a patrol as cars can be broken into while parked on road.

Done.

• Advertisement

F'kin "Hey, how much does a bike like that cost?" questions all the time.

The only good thing about the change in the weather is that 50% or more of those sh!tbags will go back into hiding in their bedrooms and leave us squares alone.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement