Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dr Ferrari's Camper Van (off-topic discussion)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

stetyrrell wrote: »
    Thinking of selling my Charge Plug frame and fork and buying a Dolan Precursa, I want to give Sundrive a crack. Undecided on whether I should just sell the entire thing including cranks and wheelset and just start from scratch.

Go down and just hire one of the bikes for awhile before you start selling anything. Why not use the Plug?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

CramCycle wrote: »
    On a karma note, I stopped to do my good deed for the day on my way into work, ended up slightly late but my boss was OK with this. For my troubles it rained on me on the way home but was so warm I nearly collapsed from dehydration (dramatic license hear, I just found myself really thirsty), my rear wheel slipped as I took off from a light and I nutted myself but luckily did not faceplant, and an expensive test I was running for my boss decided that while it was all set up perfectly, the software would freeze in the middle and take no usable results, wasting half my working day and costing the company about alot of money.

Karma, like the cake, is a lie,

F'king computers, they save so much time, then once every so often they decide they want some of it back and it's always at the worst time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

While trying to manoeuvre my commute bike into the crowded bike rack in work this morning, I lifted the back of it by holding onto the rear of the saddle as usual. There was more movement in the saddle than there should have been, and when I looked underneath I found that one of the rails had snapped. My very reliable and very comfortable 10+yr old Selle Italia Flite has died. This is a sad day. RIP :(

Lifting the bike by the saddle to move it around, particularly while carrying stuff on the pannier or while the child trailer was attached, certainly did nothing to extend the saddle's life, but I can't help feeling that my arse on the saddle was the main cause of metal fatigue over time. My arse now hangs in shame, and I can't even look at it. It's my other saddles that I feel worst for though, they'll continue to suffer in silence until they eventually and inevitably fall victim to my arse's ministrations too. Whyyyyyyyy?!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

doozerie wrote: »
    While trying to manoeuvre my commute bike into the crowded bike rack in work this morning, I lifted the back of it by holding onto the rear of the saddle as usual. There was more movement in the saddle than there should have been, and when I looked underneath I found that one of the rails had snapped. My very reliable and very comfortable 10+yr old Selle Italia Flite has died. This is a sad day. RIP :(

Lifting the bike by the saddle to move it around, particularly while carrying stuff on the pannier or while the child trailer was attached, certainly did nothing to extend the saddle's life, but I can't help feeling that my arse on the saddle was the main cause of metal fatigue over time. My arse now hangs in shame, and I can't even look at it. It's my other saddles that I feel worst for though, they'll continue to suffer in silence until they eventually and inevitably fall victim to my arse's ministrations too. Whyyyyyyyy?!!!

Does this mean you have to ride home on the seatpost alone? :D

@Zyzz, Hmm, as penance for my arse goes, that's a bit too Christian Brothers for me!

• Advertisement

Midges are bastards. While stopped up at Glencullen last night they assaulted a few of us in large numbers. It was getting cold so I took the time to put on a rain jacket before heading home down Cruagh Road, and while one swarm of midges continued to attack my face and trapped themselves between my helmet vents and my head, another swarm deposited themselves down my sleeves and inside the body of my jacket before I zipped it up, where they continued to be bastardy all the way home.

You have to respect their work ethic mind you, their purpose in life seems to be solely to annoy and they demonstrate a suicidal dedication to that aim. Pure bastards though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

So my second attempt at baking flapjacks for cycling ends even more disasterously than the first.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Midges are bastards. While stopped up at Glencullen last night they assaulted a few of us in large numbers. It was getting cold so I took the time to put on a rain jacket before heading home down Cruagh Road, and while one swarm of midges continued to attack my face and trapped themselves between my helmet vents and my head, another swarm deposited themselves down my sleeves and inside the body of my jacket before I zipped it up, where they continued to be bastardy all the way home.

You have to respect their work ethic mind you, their purpose in life seems to be solely to annoy and they demonstrate a suicidal dedication to that aim. Pure bastards though.

This stuff is the business

737%5C5000462671737%5CIDShot_225x225.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

Discovered the most bizare looking flying insect on my leg on the Cruagh Road last night, thee seem to be creatures there that are found no where else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

So my second attempt at baking flapjacks for cycling ends even more disasterously than the first.

Pics or gtfo!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Definitely a question for here - any idea on the best route from Dublin city centre (south quays) to Corkagh Park? Not sure if the N7 is the best idea, especially with the M50 interchange. Is there a route that's not down a 3-lane carriageway?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

Tallaght->citywest and opposite to corkeagh park is a possibility but probably a longer route. N7 is fine, the only bad spot is where all the traffic comes along where it meets m50.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

seamus wrote: »
    Definitely a question for here - any idea on the best route from Dublin city centre (south quays) to Corkagh Park? Not sure if the N7 is the best idea, especially with the M50 interchange. Is there a route that's not down a 3-lane carriageway?

Quays > Ballyfermot > Fonthill Rd > Clondalkin. Pretty sure there is a bus lane most the way down.

Ballyfermot...ugh. I used to ride through there everyday. Glass everywhere, constant punctures. Is it worth jumping on the canal cycle path @ inchicore and then jumping off onto the Nangor road just after the M50.

I'll do the N7 thing if it's the best route, the red cow is just a mess though, slip roads everywhere before the junction, on the junction and after it. Grand when you're doing 80km/h with the rest of the traffic...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Seamus
    The way I take is Quays to Naas Road to Nangor Road.
    Turn left onto Outer Ring Road in the direction of Kingswood.
    Then you are at Corkagh PK.

If you are heading out to Orwell race on Thur I will be heading in that direction circa 530/545.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Ziboo

Ballyfermot...ugh. I used to ride through there everyday. Glass everywhere, constant punctures. Is it worth jumping on the canal cycle path @ inchicore and then jumping off onto the Nangor road just after the M50.

I'll do the N7 thing if it's the best route, the red cow is just a mess though, slip roads everywhere before the junction, on the junction and after it. Grand when you're doing 80km/h with the rest of the traffic...

You could turn off the N7 at the Longmile Road junction and follow the Nangor road http://goo.gl/maps/d7zLj

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Quays, Cork Street, Crumlin, Greenhills Road, brings you onto the N7 after the interchange.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

ROK ON wrote: »
    Seamus
    The way I take is Quays to Naas Road to Nangor Road.
    Turn left onto Outer Ring Road in the direction of Kingswood.
    Then you are at Corkagh PK.

If you are heading out to Orwell race on Thur I will be heading in that direction circa 530/545.

Can I tag along too, no idea how to get there by bike!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Jawgap wrote: »
    Pics or gtfo!!!
    It'd be a picture of my bin then.

Apparently I need a shallower baking tray...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

To the old lad (who possibly I've seen in a certain club jersey) who was cycling home along the rock road this evening at about 5:30 and casually sailed through EVERY busy junction when the lights were red, I have this to say:

You are some muppet!

You are old enough to know better so try setting a good example and stop acting like a clown.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Plastik

null_zps5c1a7ebe.jpg

La Vie Kleenex !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

id go off quays towards crumlin, up long mile road onto nangor road, then towards newlands cross but turn right before it that road along n7 brings you their then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Can I tag along too, no idea how to get there by bike!

Me too, please. Have no clue about those roads, thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Hmmzis wrote: »
    Me too, please. Have no clue about those roads, thanks.

F#ck off would ya. The last time you were out there you wupped everyone. It's my turn to win tomorrow.

I think we have a winner, I forgot that the Naas road to Nangor road does that weird loopy thing, rather than a straight right turn off the carriageway. So I'll go that way, then left onto Fonthill Rd and right through the back roads to Corkagh...
    http://goo.gl/maps/nWQ7V

I like the Crumlin road route, but I don't fancy the Walkinstown r/about in rush hour with SPD-SLs :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

I think we have a winner, I forgot that the Naas road to Nangor road does that weird loopy thing, rather than a straight right turn off the carriageway. So I'll go that way, then left onto Fonthill Rd and right through the back roads to Corkagh...
    http://goo.gl/maps/nWQ7V

I like the Crumlin road route, but I don't fancy the Walkinstown r/about in rush hour with SPD-SLs :)

i recommend you do cork st crumlin over inchicore, bluebell, more room for cycling as theirs bike lane or bus lane most way. and its straight onto nangor road then

• Registered Users Posts: 8,065 ✭✭✭buffalo

What's wrong with the N7? Quick, direct, bit of TT training... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I always found the Long Mile Road/Nangor Road fine. That was over ten years ago though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭Scuba_Scoper

Is there a nice spot to view the races at Corkagh Park ? .. never seen racing up close and would love to have a look

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Plastik

You can see the whole course from anywhere that you stand. Very easy to stroll around and view it from a lot of places.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement