Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dr Ferrari's Camper Van (off-topic discussion)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

Anyone see the big neon sign on the Rock Road "Garda message to cyclists please obey the rules of the road". Just saw it today don't know how long it's been there. I hope they follow this up with "Garda message to motorists stop at amber".

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Hungrycol wrote: »
    Anyone see the big neon sign on the Rock Road "Garda message to cyclists please obey the rules of the road". Just saw it today don't know how long it's been there. I hope they follow this up with "Garda message to motorists stop at amber".

Seen one on the Merrion road last week.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Seen one on the Merrion road last week.

Or even eventually -

"Message to Garda motorists, Garda motorbikers and Garda cyclists - obey the rules of the road unless it's an actual emergency"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

Jawgap wrote: »
    Or even eventually -

"Message to Garda motorists, Garda motorbikers and Garda cyclists - obey the rules of the road unless it's an actual emergency"
    Ive seen them out with no lights when its dark, and turning left when theres no left turn allowed. they werent chasing after crime either

• Registered Users Posts: 11,751 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

The roadside LED signs have been showing "Garda Message to Cyclists" installments all year on and off (preceding each one, bizarrely, with a "No Cycling" symbol).

cyclestreets18712-size180.jpg

The first one was "Wear a helmet Reduce the risk", which presumably was a reference to the RSA's misanalysis of Garda collision statistics.

The next one, as I recall, was a "Stop at Red" message.

Then a "Be Safe Be Seen" sort of message.

Now this one.

I have no objections to the final three , but it does seem a bit of an over-emphasis on cyclists, given that pedestrians are a much bigger group in the KSI statistics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,898 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

QAYN4.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

^^ QED on the male/female thought process :pac:

The worst thing I've seen a Garda doing was as follows: I was driving on the newly opened M8 motorway, doing about 110km/h, family onboard, heading home on a Sat afternoon, there was a car in front of me doing the same speed but when they slowed off a bit I decided to pass, I was just about to finish the manoeuver when I thought I saw something heading towards me, yep, it's a car :eek:, and he's going quite fast, I tear back into the slow lane, and zoooom there's goes the Garda car past me in 'my' fast lane, in the opposite direction !!!! & no flashing lights or sirens, I looked over at my wife and she was in a state of shock, as for a moment there I thought I was going mad :confused:

Friday morning while going to work, again on the M8, in thunder rain, my wiper decided to call it a day and broke !! Not an easy situation to deal with but managed to get to work unscathed, phew.

A friend of mine told me that he saw 2 cyclists on the M8 yesterday, but........there were being spoken to by a Garda, and he had his little black book in his hand, presumably he was throwing it at them !!

Moral of the story...............stay away from the M8 :pac::p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Thief

Went for a run today for the first time in a couple of years. I remember now why I took up cycling!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

Garda car past me in 'my' fast lane,
    you lost credibility right there.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Went for a run today for the first time in a couple of years. I remember now why I took up cycling!

I bought runners a few weeks ago for the same purpose as I'm a bit sluggish on the soccer pitch. I still have to put them on.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,331 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Garda car car past me in town yesterday - driver was texting.
    Stoopid idiot!

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 14,976 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Had a very considerate motorist today when leaving the supermarket. Followed the cycle lane down to where it joined the road. To my right is a roundabout and to my left the road leads to the motorway which is always busy as folk come back into town. The driver in a 4x4 coming from the motorway stopped and waved at me to head out in front of him. I waved, smiled and went on my way.

It's nice to remember there are some good considerate motorists on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Thief

I bought runners a few weeks ago for the same purpose as I'm a bit sluggish on the soccer pitch. I still have to put them on.

Yeah, cycling fitness really doesn't transfer across to running does it.

I have no choice though as I'll be putting the bike up for sale next week in preperation for the big move.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

Does life get any better than this:confused::D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Lemag wrote: »
    Does life get any better than this:confused::D
    I may have read the headline wrong, but it does say...
    ONLY 595€ FOR YOUR OWN APARTMENT WITH U.S. PRO LIZ HATCH!
    Apartments and live-in girlfriends seem cheap in Spain!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

Hermy wrote: »
    Garda car car past me in town yesterday - driver was texting.
    Stoopid idiot!

You should have called traffic watch :D

Seriously!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

Ad97gm3CEAEMws2.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

Meh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,898 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Yeah I stole other peoples work without crediting it first!

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

bi5Od.jpg

From /r/bicycling :pac:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭LooksLikeRain

RobFowl wrote: »
    Paul Kimmage on Newstalk this morning

As an admirer of kimmage and not a fan of lance Armstong I was surprised with what Paul said on this show. He claimed Armstrong always brings up cancer as a defence when questioned about drugs. But it was paul Kimmage who described lance as "the cancer of cycling". This is why Armstrong brings it up when questioned by kimmage. Does kimmage regret using this phrase? Disappointing interview by yates who had not done any research and clearly had no interest. Could have pursued Kimmage to discuss the cover up of drugs in soccer but again everyone turns a blind eye to this one.

Could have pursued Kimmage to discuss the cover up of drugs in soccer but again everyone turns a blind eye to this one.

Yates is a Citeh fan, and we all know you need lots of drugs to be able to support them ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I don't know if my 105 cassette is screwed, or my memory is. When I moved the cassette onto my new wheels, it basically fell apart in my hands; most of the cogs and spacers separated, and I had to slot it all back together.

I'm more used to MTB cassettes which are held together with pins; when an MTB cassette falls apart in your hands, it's finished. But the 105 cassette looks fine, and there are no pins. I don't remember what happened when I originally fitted this cassette and whether this is by design. Anyone know for sure?

Only the first three are held together.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,327 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Only the first three are held together.

what he said (freaked me out when i first took my 105 casstette off as well) yeh had it piled up neatly and the prommptly kicked it across the floor Doh!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Cheers, good to know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

181403.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement