Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do we ignore animal cruelty to suit us?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭softmee

So did you sit and watch this 1 cow with no water all day or just see it in passing? Maybe he hose filling up the water was blocked and would soon be unblocked by the farmer.

Likewise with the little lamb and it's broken leg? Was it left in the field all week limping around? Or was it removed from the field as soon as the farmer realised it was injured?

I was living for a while in a cottage near some farm and those cow didnt have water constantly, I was trying to talk to the farmer about it and this ignorant was just laughing at me.
    The same with the lamb -I reported it and it was just ignored.
    (oh and his poor dog was living in a metal barrel all year long)

-that is your "animal paradise"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

No, no it wouldn't. You see we can grow more than one kind of crop. In fact we can grow hundreds or even thousands of different types of grains and vegetables, all with different resistances to different diseases. We can also use pesticides and even genetically engineer the plants we grow if needs be.

If it was through that one new 'crop disease' could wipe out all vegetation on the planet then I'm not sure how we'd be able to survive eating only animals that feed exclusively on crops such as grass.

I understand that it is feasible but is it as practical as is being said. I wasnt talking about a super crop disease that would wipe out all the vegatation on the planet. If it just hit the corn varieties alone you would be up the swanny. As for GM foods...I think thats a different argument which I will be honest I have little knowledge of. Also livestock can be grazed where crops couldnt be grown. I would wonder what percentage of the land in Ireland and the rest of the world is actually arable, its just a thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

archer22 wrote: »
    You do know there are Halal factories in Ireland yeah.And anyhow I have seen animals being slaughtered by butchers in Ireland in a manner that unless you are a total savage you would have to look away.

Yes I do realise there are halal factories in Ireland, although most of this meat is for halal butchers or foreign contracts. As far as I know most of the meat in my local butchers and supermarkets is slaughtered in a more humane fashion, I wish I could say 100% of this meat was non-halal but sadly I don't have the power to pass laws or regulate the meat industry. As for being a total savage, I have no problem with that so long as I can maintain my ability to think objectively.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

softmee wrote: »
    I was living for a while in a cottage near some farm and those cow didnt have water constantly, I was trying to talk to the farmer about it and this ignorant was just laughing at me.
    The same with the lamb -I reported it and it was just ignored.
    (oh and his poor dog was living in a metal barrel all year long)

Outside of talking the farmer did you report it?

One farmer should not tarnish you view on the Irish farming industry, to let it do so is small minded tbh.

No, I don't , but if people keep them locked they should be responsible -not nature, because they cant go and search for water.

Cattle shouldnt be in a field without water, Its different in the wild they can go where the want. I wouldnt put any of our cattle into a field without a constant supply of water.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

I understand that it is feasible but is it as practical as is being said.

It's not practical because there's too strong a market for meat and I'm not saying we should get ride of all meat farming because I do eat meat, it's something I enjoy. I was just trying to make the point that there are downsides to eating meat beyond the 'aww lookada little piggie-wiggies' argument and I was also trying to counter any argument that we could not feed the population of the world without meat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

If god didn't want me to eat animals, why did he make them out of food?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭vangoz

Jimmy: I have this crazy friend who says it's wrong to eat meat. Is he crazy?
    Troy McClure: No, Jimmy, just ignorant. You see, your crazy friend hasn't heard of the food chain. Just ask this scientitian.
    Scientist: Uhhh...
    Troy McClure: He'll tell you that one creature invariably eats another to survive. Don't kid yourself, Jimmy. If a cow got the chance he'd eat you and everyone you care about.
    Jimmy: Wow, Mr. McClure, I was a Grade A Moron to ever question eating meat.
    Troy McClure: Yes you were, Jimmy. Yes you were. [playfully rubs Jimmy's head]
    Jimmy: You're hurting me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,139 ✭✭✭-Trek-

I have never seen cattle mistreated on a farm here in Ireland, in fact its quite the opposite. The amount of care and attention a farmer gives to his herd would set aside any fears of cruelty for me.

Does that include long periods of time they spend in slatted units sleeping on top of their own excrement?

It's not practical because there's too strong a market for meat and I'm not saying we should get ride of all meat farming because I do eat meat, it's something I enjoy. I was just trying to make the point that there are downsides to eating meat beyond the 'aww lookada little piggie-wiggies' argument and I was also trying to counter any argument that we could not feed the population of the world without meat.

I wasnt using the cute and cuddly argument. I have enough experience around livestock to know they are not always as cute and cuddly as they look in the fields on a sunny day. I am sure what you are saying could be done but being realistic its not going to happen in our lifetime at least. People like meat too much!! I fear this thread is going off topic. I really dont like the basis of debate that meat is bad for you and that you can take supplements to have the minerals or whatever your missing out on. I would much prefer to be getting my Iron from a steak then a tablet made in a factory out of god knows what.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

-Trek- wrote: »
    Does that include long periods of time they spend in slatted units sleeping on top of their own excrement?

Do you really think a cows concern is sleeping in it's own crap?

Yes,where there excrement falls down into tanks.

What do you want for them, fluffy pillows and blankets to lay on?

Do you really think a cows concern is sleeping in it's own crap?

I don't know, I haven't asked one. But its not like they are getting a choice in the matter anyway, but if it were you and me in that situation I think we might express some concern.

I don't know, I haven't asked one. But its not like they are getting a choice in the matter anyway, but if it were you and me in that situation I think we might express some concern.

Seriously? You are using this as a point?

I am away before this thread becomes even more ridiculous!

Seriously? You are using this as a point?

I am away before this thread becomes even more ridiculous!

Yes SERIOUSLY, you think sleeping on top of your own crap is not cruel?

Yes SERIOUSLY, you think sleeping on top of your own crap is not cruel?

Not if I was a cow. Pigs roll around in their crap willingly. Dogs eat crap willingly. I am pretty sure a cow couldn't care less about its own crap, which while in sheds falls down into tanks anyway!

These are bloody animals we are talking about. They are not evolved enough to care about things like lying in excrement.

I am definitely going now!

2 thinks a cow cares about

1. Her calf

2. Grass and water

Most sheds have cubicles that the cows lie on designed in a way so that that they cant poo on their bed, All their poo goes down through the slats. Cows dont care once they have enough to eat and drink really. They are very easy pleased animals.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

i disagree with this point from scumlord.
    You basically repeated my point with more words.

The fact that we bread them only to kill in the end is hard for me to take. Killing is evil and it scares me. Most of the people couldnt watch a cow beeing killed, but they have no problem eating them..
    your wrong, if any one of us was hungry enough we'd quite gladly rip the thing apart with our bare hands, us westerners just don't have to suffer that kind of hunger, count your self lucky. another thing is what exactly do you think would happen to all these cute cattle if we didn't eat them. They won't get squatters rights on the fields, there'll be no emancipation they'll all be slaughtered to make way for our crops that we'll need to eat. Domestic cattle need us to eat them or their screwed.

Pigs roll around in their crap willingly.

This is just not true -they do, because they are kept in small cages and have no choice, in nature pigs would have a clean "nest".

"
    PIG BEHAVIOR
    Who ever said pigs were dirty?? Actually, they are clean. The reason some people think they are dirty is due to the fact pigs like to roll in the mud. but, they like this mainly in the hot summer months. By rolling in the mud, this cools them off. Pigs are extremely sensitive to heat and can suffer from sunburn and heat stroke just like a person can. Wading in water and mud helps keep the pigs from getting over heated, also helps control parasites.
    If fresh straw is put in their house (which it should be) they keep their house very clean, they do not urinate or
    defecate in their house.
    So straw in their house will last quite a while. In fact, pigs prefer to sleep on clean dry straw at night"
    Dogs eat crap willingly.
    -maybe your dog does.. (if he doesnt get nutritrious food, he would look for what he's body needs somewhere else...

These are bloody animals we are talking about.

-you are a bloody animal too and not much more evolved! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭ItsAWindUp

Absolutely, it's a bloody disgrace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Pigs roll around in their crap willingly.

No they don't.

The maintain completely different eating, sleeping and ****ting area's.

Just like people.

No idea why so many think pigs are dirty creatures.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

The Green Party were the only party that had any animal welfare issues on their agends - the rest don't give a focaia. This country sucks when it comes to animal cruelty - look at those hideous fairs like 'puck fair' etc., and the savage way the savages flog and treat the poor animals and nothing happens to stop this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭flas

If being nice to animals means me losing out on my fry after a night on the lash then codswollop to that.

Maybe some people also don't care for Fish since they don't seem to show any emotion.

The reason why Cats and Dogs have more of an uproar is because many people(including myself) would see that animal as a member of their family and more than just a pet.

So, no one cares about animals we eat. I sure as hell don't give 2 flying sods about the lads down in the local trough.

i have had many many different fish that have their own personalities and quirkes....

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Chinasea wrote: »
    This country sucks when it comes to animal cruelty -
    Compared to who?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

I really find it difficult to understand people who think they are more evolved than others because they don't eat meat, or because they believe that animals should have the same rights as people.

I personally dislike premediated cruelty, however, I really enjoy meals where I have killed the animal myself. I like to hunt so I like to provide the food for my own table, this includes shooting it, cleaning and preparing it for cooking and finally eating it.

I have always like to hunt, and find that providing food for my own table makes me more interested in animal welfare. I want my kills to be clean one's and avoid any suffering, I want my prey to be there the next time I hunt. I dislike the attitude that some people think they are emotionally superior to me, because the think they care more about animal welfare that me.

Odysseus wrote: »
    I really find it difficult to understand people who think they are more evolved than others because they don't eat meat, or because they believe that animals should have the same rights as people.

I personally dislike premediated cruelty, however, I really enjoy meals where I have killed the animal myself. I like to hunt so I like to provide the food for my own table, this includes shooting it, cleaning and preparing it for cooking and finally eating it.

I have always like to hunt, and find that providing food for my own table makes me more interested in animal welfare. I want my kills to be clean one's and avoid any suffering, I want my prey to be there the next time I hunt. I dislike the attitude that some people think they are emotionally superior to me, because the think they care more about animal welfare that me.

You just like to kill... admit it! :rolleyes: and yes- you are a real man.. :cool:

-but seriously I get your point and I think - to be killed suddenly by a bullet is a "better" death for animal.. no transportation etc and free life before the time comes..
    At least you face it, without letting some people somewhere to do the dirty job..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭ItsAWindUp

Well in all fairness if they don't hunt and murder animals then they more thank likely are!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭archer22

Well given that you run around looking for things to kill...I would say that you dont give a jot about animal welfare...nothing against you hunting to eat (even if it is by choice not need).But please dont insult our intelligence by claiming to be concerned about their welfare.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭archer22

2 thinks a cow cares about

1. Her calf

2. Grass and water

Most sheds have cubicles that the cows lie on designed in a way so that that they cant poo on their bed, All their poo goes down through the slats. Cows dont care once they have enough to eat and drink really. They are very easy pleased animals.
    Have you given them questionaires to fill out?..

• Advertisement

They like some fun too :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NA-ST8nXl4U :pac:

LOL :
    -(comment under the video : "Did you see Big Foot running circles in the top left corner the last 10-15 seconds of the video" ( there really is one running on the back beside trees!) ;)

Advertisement