Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Expendables 2 *spoilers from post 263*

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Jumboman

They seem to have shot this as PG13 because there is little or no bad language in the film:(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Got around to seeing this over the weekend. It was okay, I can't say I found it to be any better than the first, which was equally just okay.

Would have been better without Chuck "I'm a creationist looper" Norris.

Highlights for me was Arnie in the airport with what sounded like a ****ing canon. And JCVD doing his trademark roundhouse kick to the face on Stallone, that was a thing of beauty!!

Also, I like how Jet Li was substituted out for another Asian.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

Would have been better without Chuck "I'm a creationist looper" Norris.

why?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

CMpunked wrote: »
    why?

I agree with MM.
    Norris scenes seemed forced and would have preferred to have seen more of Jet Li.

As for the CGI tank etc....I can honestly say it didn't bother me in the least.

I agree with MM.
    Norris scenes seemed forced and would have preferred to have seen more of Jet Li.

A lot of the movie felt forced, but personally I thought Norris' part wasn't too serious nor a massive deal so I was able to enjoy it for what it was which was there just for shíts and giggles.
    Like its not like he was a massive part of the plot to make me think "this would be better without him".
    I can totally understand some may not like certain characters, personally I didnt like the asian chick too much and it made it worse that the qualities I didn't like were in the movie a lot.
    So the idea of not liking a character to the point of thinking it would be better without him, even though he was only in the flick for at most, 4 minutes, doesnt make sense to me.

• Advertisement

Yeah, fair point.
    I too didn't like the Asian chick, but as much as I didn't like her, she was atleast an integrated part of the story from the beginning right through to the end.
    Norris on the other hand was the exact opposite, really seemed tacked on like some after thought to humor an internet joke.

Imagine if every character was walked through the script like that....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,674 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

I got around to watching this last night and frankly it was dreadful.
    Complete and utter crap from start to finish.
    I enjoyed the first film which was over the top fun but this one was just awful.

The plot was threadbare,the acting was appalling,the one liners poor and it had zero suspense.
    The action scenes were poorly shot ,it was a horrible mess ,poorly edited too,all over the shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

I got around to watching this last night and frankly it was dreadful.
    Complete and utter crap from start to finish.
    I enjoyed the first film which was over the top fun but this one was just awful.

The plot was threadbare,the acting was appalling,the one liners poor and it had zero suspense.
    The action scenes were poorly shot ,it was a horrible mess ,poorly edited too,all over the shop.

You now its very hard to disagree with you. If i watched this at home on my couch i could easily have switched off but instead i saw it in a male packed cinema where we spend most of the film whooping and cheering, best fun I've had in the cinema ever!

You now its very hard to disagree with you. If i watched this at home on my couch i could easily have switched off but instead i saw it in a male packed cinema where we spend most of the film whooping and cheering, best fun I've had in the cinema ever!

I was close to switching it off a number of times allright .

The pacing of the film was nonexistant ,it just moved from action scene to action scene.
    With such a high profile cast the end result was a terrible waste.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

Wasn't keen on this at all, some nice moments but nothing spectacular. what was up with the music though, some of it was downright painful to listen to,.

• Advertisement

I think people forget that most of the action classics of the 80s that we all so fondly remember are actually pretty terrible films.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

is Novak Djokovic in this ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

Thought it was better than the first one tbh. Harmless disposable, tongue-in-cheek fun. People can be as critical as they want but seeing all those stars in the same place having a bit of craic was special.

I'd love to see The Rock in the next one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Joshua J

Just started watching it there and got as far as the stand off in the forest at the crashed plane. Poor Billy, his monologue in the plane about his adopted dog getti ng shot signalled his doom. And surely soldiers don't read their fallen comrades letter home to loved ones?. Do they?. Turned it off.

Joshua J wrote: »
    Just started watching it there and got as far as the stand off in the forest at the crashed plane. Poor Billy, his monologue in the plane about his adopted dog getti ng shot signalled his doom. And surely soldiers don't read their fallen comrades letter home to loved ones?. Do they?. Turned it off.

Should stick it back on, you didn't give it much of a chance imo.

But i suppose, if you're getting hung up on little things like that maybe it would be better if you didn't watch the rest! :pac:

Joshua J wrote: »

Yes that monologue thing was cringeworthy and totally out of whack with the previous scene where Billy and his mates slaughtered hundreds of men and seemed to be having great fun doing so.
    Are we meant to believe that the death of Billys dog meant something to these men who butcher for a living ?
    It had no place in the film ,a film which was completely over the top in violence for the vast majority yet has this tacked on morality guff.

Rambo handled this contrast well but this film certainly did not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Sorry to repeat, but does Djokovic make a cameo in this film ? or was it cut ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,528 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

the_monkey wrote: »
    Sorry to repeat, but does Djokovic make a cameo in this film ? or was it cut ?

Sorry it was cut http://www.tennisworldusa.org/Novak-Djokovic-deleted-in-the-movie-The-Expendables-2-articolo5553.html

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,210 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Watched it last week and thought it was around the same level as the first one. It passed the time but thats about all it did, if anything I enjoyed the first one a bit more. None of the big name cameo/guest stars really did it for me, their cheesey one liners were very badly delivered, it felt like they were reading them off a tele-prompter or something, though I did get a laugh out of the Chuck Norris fact gag.

The first one was outdid in the entertaining dumb action movie stakes for me by The Losers and The A-Team the year it came out and this one was down right pummeled by Dredd.

Yes that monologue thing was cringeworthy and totally out of whack with the previous scene where Billy and his mates slaughtered hundreds of men and seemed to be having great fun doing so.
    Are we meant to believe that the death of Billys dog meant something to these men who butcher for a living ?
    It had no place in the film ,a film which was completely over the top in violence for the vast majority yet has this tacked on morality guff.

Rambo handled this contrast well but this film certainly did not.

I think they were trying to fill the hole that Micky Rourke, and his role, left from the last one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

I think they were trying to fill the hole that Micky Rourke, and his role, left from the last one.

They failed... spectacularly

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Just got around to watching this now, as much as I wanted to see it in the cinema never got around to it.

Have to say I really enjoyed it, in fact I prefered it to the first one found the action better. Also now I know some of the one liner were borderline cringeworthy but I also found them funny. It may be nostalgia but it was still great to see Arnie back on the screen aswell. Its a film id watch it again.

It was tongue in cheek at times and I loved it. Yeh its not original or amazingly written or breath taking performances but sometimes a good old plain and simple balls out action film is what is needed :).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

I am not sure what was wrong with it when it was released to the cinema as it was grainy and difficult to see properly in parts but it is much better now on the dvd release so that is something at least

What I didnt like about it was the fact that chuck norris got to share the screen with action legends willis stallone and schwarzenegger hes a nobody compared to those guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭iColdFusion

Jumboman wrote: »
    What I didnt like about it was the fact that chuck norris got to share the screen with action legends willis stallone and schwarzenegger hes a nobody compared to those guys.
    Yeah your so right, complete nobody, I can't remember the amount of times I've seen those other guys fight to the death against Bruce Lee in the Colosseum.
    brucelee4.jpg

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Yeah your so right, complete nobody, I can't remember the amount of times I've seen those other guys fight to the death against Bruce Lee in the Colosseum.

*pic*

:rolleyes:

Way Of The Dragon or not, Chuck Norris is a fucking dick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Lol, youre obviously not old enough to remember all his 80s action movies. He was a big star, he just faded.

Lol, youre obviously not old enough to remember all his 80s action movies. He was a big star, he just faded.

Chuck Norris was never an A list movie star. Most of his films were low budget straight to video. Hes not in the same league as willis stallone and schwarzenegger who are the biggest action stars of all time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Chuck Norris was never an A list movie star. Most of his films were low budget straight to video. Hes not in the same league as willis stallone and schwarzenegger who are the biggest action stars of all time.

By that rationale, Jason Statham and even Dolph Lundgren had even less of a place in the movie.

I dont dispute your point in terms of high budget movies, but Norris had a huge following nonetheless. I remember everyone in school was mad about his films, it was also around the time that peoples families actually got video players and the video shops were full of his stuff. He was a decade too soon for the huge action productions that followed but it doesnt diminish his popularity in the 80s. Anyone who remembers that era would appreciate his appearance in the film. Being one of the first action stars is just as important as being one of the big action stars.

• Advertisement

By that rationale, Jason Statham and even Dolph Lundgren had even less of a place in the movie.

I dont dispute your point in terms of high budget movies, but Norris had a huge following nonetheless. I remember everyone in school was mad about his films, it was also around the time that peoples families actually got video players and the video shops were full of his stuff. He was a decade too soon for the huge action productions that followed but it doesnt diminish his popularity in the 80s. Anyone who remembers that era would appreciate his appearance in the film. Being one of the first action stars is just as important as being one of the big action stars.

I dont mind Chuck Norris being in the film I just dont like the fact that he got to share the screen with Willis Stallone and Schwarzenegger.

I rather see those 3 guys on there own I'd say the same thing if jason statham was using up screen time beside those legends.

Advertisement