Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Expendables 2 *spoilers from post 263*

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,230 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

If the first piece of crap is anything to go by, you'd be better off putting everyone's best film on at the same time and embracing the cacophony that ensues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

Hush your mouth. The first one was the greatest action movie ever made.

Exp+1+Statham+plane.jpg

This scene alone was worth the admission price.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,230 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

iMax wrote: »
    The first one was the greatest action movie ever made.

Really?

I'm all for a bit of hyperbole, but really?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

haters-1.gif&sa=X&ei=7PdtTrmlCcWe-QbZ1NnOBQ&ved=0CAcQ8wc&usg=AFQjCNG1AFriDA1D2lh7SpM7-IChm1n_GA

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I love Stallone / Arnie movie's and others that were the pinnacle of 80's action violence but The Expendables was a complete let down for me. Had some fun but brief moments which ultimately couldn't save it.

I won't be going into the next one with the same hopes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Gandalph

should throw in Mike Tyson

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I thought the first one was garbage. At least Rambo was entertaining cheese. The Expendables was just boring crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

The Expendables was terrible. Most of those guys were in classics in their day, but bringing them all together didn't work at all. The Arnie/Stallone/Willis scene was just awful too!

I remember being sure that The A-Team was going to be the bad summer action film, but it turned out pretty well.

I'm a bit bemused anyone would be willing to defend the Expendables. It was like a really bad cover version - desperately trying to emulate the original, but misinterpreting the fundamentals of what made the originals so endearing in the first place. It never embraced its inherent stupidity. As Prof said, Rambo is what the Expendables should have been had anyone involved been interested in anything more than a cynical cash grab. The Red Dwarf: Back to Earth of cinema.

Worst of all was the waste of various actors who deserved better. The Arnie / Willis cameo should have been great fun, but so utterly pointless in practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I thought the first one was great fun. It's a terrible, terrible move, but I think that's why I enjoyed it. I'm looking forward to the next one.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,194 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I thought the first one was ok but a bit of a let down considering the hype, both the other men on a mission movies that came out around that time were much better IMO which would be The A-Team and The Losers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

Really?

I'm all for a bit of hyperbole, but really?

I love that word.

It was enjoyable hokem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I thought the first one was ok but a bit of a let down considering the hype, both the other men on a mission movies that came out around that time were much better IMO which would be The A-Team and The Losers.

It was all a surprise to me. It was pretty much guaranteed that the A-Team would be crap. All the hype was about the Expendables. In the end the A-team was very enjoyable(IMO), with some really funny moments. I then got blind-sighted by The Losers which I hadn't known about and ended up loving it. I thought was the superior of the three.

That said my mate hated the losers and loved the expendables, so we are all different.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

The first one sounded amazing in theory, but lets face it, they couldn't have ****ed it up more than they did, it was a big pile of crap, in no way was it entertaining, it was just cringe worthy nonsense that SHOULD have been alot better.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

I'm pretty sure most people here are missing the whole point of what The Expendables and similiar films are supposed to be about... If you go into them with your "I hope this is as good as Gone With the Wind" hat on, you're in for trouble.... these films are about testosterone, cheesey one-liners, good-guy winning, leading men pulling hot chicks and blowing. sh*t. up!

The Expendables achieved all of this... ergo - good film...

Period...

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,194 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

WHIP IT! wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure most people here are missing the whole point of what The Expendables and similiar films are supposed to be about... If you go into them with your "I hope this is as good as Gone With the Wind" hat on, you're in for trouble.... these films are about testosterone, cheesey one-liners, good-guy winning, leading men pulling hot chicks and blowing. sh*t. up!

Period...

I went in with my Die Hard/Rambo/Commando hat on and I still thought it was pretty average.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I thought the Expendables was absolutely brilliant. The whole stretch beneath the compound/palace was stupidly excessive in a way only brainless action movies could be. Will be the first in line for the sequel.

It was a massive success so it's not really fair to say it was terrible/a joke/so on and so forth. I know plenty of people that considered it to meet and exceed expectations...it was pure nonsense, but the best I've seen in a long time.

Period...

Thats a ridiculous notion. No-one on here went to it in the hope of exploring the underlining themes, and sub-plots. They went looking for a good action movie. Having Statham, Stallone and Willis in it, suggested it would be on a par with The Transporter, Rambo or Die Hard. Instead it was bollocks. It was badly written, the plot made little sense, and there was no decent action. Maybe you and I define 'decent' action differently.

Thats the same excuse you hear in the Transformers threads all the time "If you didnt enjoy it then you were expecting too much". Ah no. I expected a decent film. Instead I got ****e, in all three cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭leposean

Worst film which made it unbelievable!!!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,019 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

God this thread's just like the one for the original movie - people mistaking criticism for misaligned expectations.

The Expendables was a total mess of a movie, and even as a balls-to-the-wall action film it failed. To be honest, I thought it was boring. That you could conceivably take all those action-movie icons and make a dull feature on a par with a TV pilot is fairly embarrassing. Most of Staham's back catalog is infinitely superior to this one.

CGI blood, badly shot action scenes, forgettable dialogue (the Arnie / Willis cameo had about the only funny lines in the film), hell even the explosions themselves seemed a bit weak; as a comparison, Stallone's new Rambo / Rocky movies were more entertaining than The Expendables ever was.

• Advertisement

Ill never understand this concept that anything with explosions is immune to criticism - it just seems like having dreadfully low standards.

Rambo did explosions well, the most brilliantly cheesy faux machismo I've seen in the last decade. The expendables didn't do explosions well, and hence failed to live up to my considered expectations.

Suggesting we were all so dim that we missed the point is somewhat insulting! Its not like its an easy point to miss!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Rambo was awesome because it was insanely over the top violent.

Which is what everyone wanted from the expendibles but didn't get.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I'm in the camp that adores the Expendables. I do acknowledge the genuine criticisms leveled at the film here, but respectfully disagree. I felt the action sequences were more than exciting enough and the humour was cringeworthy enough to be a nice homage to the cheesey Commando style action movies of yesteryear.
    For starters I felt the Jet Li versus Dolph Lundgren fight was a very well put together scene. The car chase was fun. Statham's character doing an aeroplane bombing run was so ridiculously over the top that it tickled me in a way that if a woman tickled me that way I'd say, "mmm, thats nice". Then there was that ridiculous continuity error when Stallone jumps onto the moving plane. he clearly misses by about a yard but still somehow makes it. That's the kind of 80s shyte I adore and expected from The expendables. On that level it delivered.
    But then again I think Showdown In Little Tokyo is one of the best things in the history of everything...

Oh and an MMA fighter punched a man to death... WHILE HE AS ON FIRE!!! :eek: :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

syklops wrote: »
    Thats a ridiculous notion. No-one on here went to it in the hope of exploring the underlining themes, and sub-plots. They went looking for a good action movie. Having Statham, Stallone and Willis in it, suggested it would be on a par with The Transporter, Rambo or Die Hard. Instead it was bollocks. It was badly written, the plot made little sense, and there was no decent action. Maybe you and I define 'decent' action differently.

Thats the same excuse you hear in the Transformers threads all the time "If you didnt enjoy it then you were expecting too much". Ah no. I expected a decent film. Instead I got ****e, in all three cases.

See, you're doin it, Buddy - you're doin it... You forgot to switch the brain off when ya watched, that's all... I suppose the plot to Predator made sense then? An alien... followin lads around... then killing them... for sport...

Predator - best action movie of all time by the way :pac:

See, you're doin it, Buddy - you're doin it... You forgot to switch the brain off when ya watched, that's all... I suppose the plot to Predator made sense then? An alien... followin lads around... then killing them... for sport...

Predator - best action movie of all time by the way :pac:

Predator made absolute sense. That it doesnt to you, I dont know what to respond with.

We obviously watch and enjoy movies so fundamentally differently that I don't think there is any point in continuing.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

I actually also enjoyed the first one, I was let down yes but all in all I think it was entertaining enough. I hope the sequel is much more in the Rambo mold though.

I saw Red, The Loosers and the expendables all in the one weekend and I stragely most enjoyed Red with the other two about the same.

I hope it's as good as the hype this time but I'd be happy with much of the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Period...

I went in expecting a good cheesey action flick like die hard/commando/cobra as Mick said, and that isn't what i got, it was cliched tripe and the action sucked balls. It was meerley put together to rob idiots of their money, hint hint.. i watched it in a friends house so i was glad i didnt waste cash on it.

Watching the trailer was a good thing for this movie, it showed how bad it was going to be and it was accurate. The cast is what brought all the movie goers in and it was all it offered, sadly..
    ziedth wrote: »

I hope it's as good as the hype this time

It won't be..

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I was really let down by the first one (and got a load of mockery from a bunch of people for bothering to discuss why I thought it was a let-down) but it made seriously good money for that kind of film so a sequel was inevitable.

I won't be going near it, but I'm sure it'll do well. I'll stick to stuff like Crank, District 13 and River Tam Beats Up EveryoneChocolate for my fix of action-oriented silliness, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,019 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

My only problem with The Expendables was that it wasn't sh1t enough. I mean it should have been p1ss yerself laughing, fist in the air awesomely bad but it wasn't, it was just "meh". With that amount of meat-heads it should have been gloriously stupid. Now it was stupid but not insanely stupid. I mean trying to give The Stath a chance to act with Charisma Carpenter? Nooooo. He should have gone all "Crank" in the film

I wanna see Jackie Chan and Jet Li (If he finally signs the contract) square off but he doesn't play baddies. Ah well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Galvasean wrote: »
    I'm in the camp that adores the Expendables. I do acknowledge the genuine criticisms leveled at the film here, but respectfully disagree. I felt the action sequences were more than exciting enough and the humour was cringeworthy enough to be a nice homage to the cheesey Commando style action movies of yesteryear.
    For starters I felt the Jet Li versus Dolph Lundgren fight was a very well put together scene. The car chase was fun. Statham's character doing an aeroplane bombing run was so ridiculously over the top that it tickled me in a way that if a woman tickled me that way I'd say, "mmm, thats nice". Then there was that ridiculous continuity error when Stallone jumps onto the moving plane. he clearly misses by about a yard but still somehow makes it. That's the kind of 80s shyte I adore and expected from The expendables. On that level it delivered.
    But then again I think Showdown In Little Tokyo is one of the best things in the history of everything...

Oh and an MMA fighter punched a man to death... WHILE HE AS ON FIRE!!! :eek: :D

+1 on everything you just said, I think Expendables was amazing it did exactly what I expected of it. Stallone said before its release he was going to try bring back the 80,s style action movies. People cannot tell me Commando made sense? But I still love it. It had a terrible plot yeh, some cheesy momments and some great action it gave me exactly what i wanted.

It was terribly brilliant like a lot of 80,s action movies which I love.

I for one will 100% be going to see this in the cinema cant wait. Maybe some people just cant buy into it but found it easier to accept the flaws from a film because it was made in the 80,s?

Advertisement