Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

6 weeks in hell -Abu Dhabi to Conn via Donadea

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Mighty stuff on going sub 3. At least something went well for you on the day

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

Took her 1:55 - not quite in line with her 43 minute 10k time in the congested womens mini marathon. Maybe she had a bad day.

Phew!, just got in ahead of her - always knew she was a talented runner.

Cracking day for a run - decided to incorporate some speed work in the session, (for the first time this season:)) after the shambles of Galway last week.

I won't bother making any predictions for the OLY on Saturday, as the swim in Brittas Bay is a total lottery - when the current is against you, it turns into an IM swim...

Anyways, the weather looks good for it and the beers at the finish line are always worth the trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Best of luck to you Izoard. And enjoy the beer! :)

This event has been running for 15 years, and #12 for me, so you would think I’d know my way around the (swim) course at this point…

Pre- race
    Big numbers this year, thanks largely to the 2 charities involved, gathering the troops. As such, the sprint distance proved by far the most popular, so only 45 of us + 6 relays, hit the start line for the Olympic distance.

This is a tough Olympic race – I’d be at 2.40 level for Athy/DCT, but lucky to break 3 hours here.

The hard core who show up every year, has dwindled over time, as age, injury and weight takes it’s toll. I was trying to figure out who would be providing the competition, when I bumped into Mr. Amphibian King (AK) and his Side Kick (SK). AK was recovering from a wedding the night before, but I wasn’t fooled – he looked in good shape and had turned in a good performance in Galway last week.
    I had never see the SK race, but the word was, he could move.

A stunning day (a rarity in the past few years), meant that everyone was in good spirits and ready to rock.

Swim:
    The swim is 1.5km parallel to the shore, so requires a 1.5km walk to the start area. Instructions were that the wind and flow were against us, but staying in closer to the shore will reduce the flow issue somewhat.
    However, my problem in this swim, is that I’m a left sided breather only.
    So, looking out towards Wales for 1.5km means I am taking a severe face-bashing and taking on gallons of sea water. To reduce this, I need to get out of the chop and head for deeper water.

At one point, I looked up and the Garda boat is right along side me – never a good sign. Nevertheless, as with Galway last week, I was feeling good and thinking that my gamble to “go deep” was paying off.

For some reason I had only lubed-up the back of my neck, so already was feeling the irritation on the front.

Today, my neck looks like a 14 year old after a successful night at a teenage disco.

Rounding the bouy and heading to shore, I had cautious optimism that I had exorcized the Galway swim demons.

Not so – 49.xx on the Garmin.

This was so bad, that all I could do was laugh – chuckling to myself as I headed up the dunes to transition – must have looked like I’d completely lost it.

Swim 49.28

T1
    Scanning transition, it was hard to pick out who was left from the Oly race, as there were many sprint guys also milling around.
    2:40

Bike
    This is a tough-ish course. Slightly long at 44km, wind in your face down the N11, very technical return to transition along the coast road and a ramp straight out of transition, make this a handful.
    I was steadily passing guys and gals on mountain bikes etc., but no sign of anyone who looks like they are doing the full Olympic.

Am I actually last???

Out on the N11 and I catch one of the 3 Amigos who are famed for “walking the swim” every year. So, I now know I’m not last, but the swim walkers beat me by 8 mins or so this year- comical!

N11 was a challenge, as the wind was stiff and some of the novices were struggling. Still hoovering up bikers, but very few numbered 1-45, the guys I really needed to catch.
    Caught the 3rd of the 3 Amigos on the 2nd lap, but no sign of AK or SK.
    The last 5km of the bike allows you to see where the competition is on the run – still no sign of the boys – am I ahead of them?

Coming into transition, I see AK reclining on the grass verge – excellent!

The wedding hangover must have taken him out of tackling a 10km run in hot conditions.

Bike 1.24.32 (44km)

T2 1.01

Run
    Back out into a stiff headwind, I have 2 guys right behind me. Crazy hill after 800m is a real leg crusher, but no sign of my 2 friends coming along side or taking up the pace.
    I see SK flying in on the bike – he’s behind me and I’ve about 3 mins in hand.

I start running the bends (i.e crossing the road to keep the racing line), to see if I can encourage my 2 friends to join in – no luck.
    One hits the 2.5km marker and turns around as he’s doing the sprint, so I now have just the one shadow.

By 4km, I turn to him and jokingly said “tell me you are not going to sprint past me at the finish?”
    He was full of apologies and I could see he was grimly hanging on. He was a relative novice and I felt bad that he thought I was serious…

At the 5km turnaround I grab a water and head back up the hill only to see AK and SK hot on my heels – what? Looks like AK is pacing SK to a fast run in the hope of catching me, but more importantly, another Wicklow Tri victim a little further up the road.

With the wind behind me, I was feeling good and I could see that some of those around me were going to suffer in the heat for the return trip.

I quickly dropped The Shadow and concentrated on keeping the pace below 5min/km which should be enough to catch the chap a few hundred meters ahead and keep the twosome behind at bay.

Heard some heavy breathing from behind, but was relieved to see it was one of the relay runners – tried to stay with him, but he was going like a train.

Caught a few more heat victims before crossing the line while the 2 boys rolled in 3 mins down. Turns out AK had a mechanical on the bike after a great swim...

Run 50.45 (10.5km)

Overall 3.08.30 pos:11/45

As ever a cracking day out – post race beers and BBQ always a welcome bonus.

The swim is becoming a worry – I’ve only been in the open water 3 times this year (all races) and been terrible twice.

Starting to plot for next year – Ms.I wasn’t totally against the idea of an IM – the next conversation will be crucial:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭handangeo

Izoard wrote: »
    FONT=Calibri]Today, my neck looks like a 14 year old after a successful night at a teenage disco.[/FONT]

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Very entertaining report Izoard! Wished I had the power of bilocation, would have liked to do this one, especially with the day that was in it. Love your Schadenfreude at passing other competitors!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭griffin100

At one point, I looked up and the Garda boat is right along side me – never a good sign.
    Swim 49.28

Are you sure it was a Garda boat and not a West Wales Constabulary boat? :D
    Starting to plot for next year – Ms.I wasn’t totally against the idea of an IM – the next conversation will be crucial

Oh the dreaded annual IM conversation. I'm still at the I promise that next year I will not do an IM stage with the wife and any suggestions otherwise have been met with a somewhat colorful response.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

As comical as ever Izoard. Really enjoyed reading that.
    Is that the end of your exploits for 2012 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Also spotted the lovely Rosanna D, who fills a tri suit particularly well. Comical scenes behind her, as guys are falling over each other to get the best view.

I remember that blonde coming whilst spectating and using my only perving pass for the day.

Catweazle to Mrs C - "christ look at the hot blonde coming here".

This always gives me licence to ogle as much as I want to as I was honest and told her i would be doing so very soon, this usually sends Mrs C off into seeing if she agrees with me or not on the womans looks. (she did)

Forgot it was Rosanna until I read your report

• Advertisement

catweazle wrote: »
    I remember that blonde coming whilst spectating and using my only perving pass for the day.

This always gives me licence to ogle as much as I want to as I was honest and told her i would be doing so very soon, this usually sends Mrs C off into seeing if she agrees with me or not on the womans looks. (she did)

They showed a quick glimpse of her on the TV as part of the IM coverage on Channel 4 over the weekend and she did look good. Keith Duffy on the other hand was a different story, he even managed to make me look slim :D

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭handangeo

griffin100 wrote: »
    They showed a quick glimpse of her on the TV as part of the IM coverage on Channel 4 over the weekend and she did look good. Keith Duffy on the other hand was a different story, he even managed to make me look slim :D

As with last years Galway IM coverage it was just a Keith Duffy show :mad:.

catweazle wrote: »

Nice work CW - the simple strategies are often the most effective.

Mrs I. had been boring me with tales of how great shape he was in, but the tri suit never lies.
    Looks like he was spending way too much time in the gym when he should have been out hitting the roads.

Abhainn wrote: »
    As comical as ever Izoard. Really enjoyed reading that.
    Is that the end of your exploits for 2012 ?

Down to pace DCM, but that's it for 2012.

The bucket list for next year is IM, Lost Sheep and maybe actually run a marathon properly:)

Just weighed myself for the first time in 5 months - Yikes - heaviest weight in 18 years:)

Probably goes some way to explain the poor run in Galway.

It starts now....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

It starts now....

...just after you finish that bag of crisps and 4 pack of mars bars?

Just weighed myself for the first time in 5 months - Yikes - heaviest weight in 18 years:)

Probably goes some way to explain the poor run in Galway.

It starts now....

Jaysus I thought I'd wandered into Tunney's log reading that :D

If it makes you feel any better I'm at my lightest in about 15-16 years (actually I know it wont make you feel any better but I like typing it :))

...just after you finish that bag of crisps and 4 pack of mars bars?

It is that 4-pack of Double Deckers you were recommending, that tipped me over the edge...
    Jaysus I thought I'd wandered into Tunney's log reading that :D

If it makes you feel any better I'm at my lightest in about 15-16 years (actually I know it wont make you feel any better but I like typing it :))

Your right - it doesn't make me feel any better...I prefered it when you were fat:)

This isn't quite the car crash* that it might sound though - I've been more or less the same weight for the past decade or so.
    18 years ago, I moved back from New York after 2 years of rugby, beer and chinese food - no one recognized me:)

*actually, it probably is - deal with it, fat boy...

Meh...the one IM I had a free pass for in 2013, get's cancelled:mad:

Probably no harm, it looked like a race that was a complete irritation to NY/NJ (at ridiculous prices, even for WTC).

Moscow - Lovely morning run along the river to the Olympic Stadium and back.

I take back some of what I've said about this place in the past.

Travel is back with a vengence until mid November, so marathon prep will be much more miss than hit....

• Advertisement

Given my terrible swims in the last 2 outings, decided to do a little test.

3 x 500m TT, interspersed with 1,500m easy.

9m 56
    9m 35 (this was slightly artificial as I had a good draft for a few lengths)
    9m 48

All slightly better than previous efforts (10m+), so I've got to put it down to lack of OW training...simples.

3,000m total.

Just had to endure the "walk of shame" at the blood donation clinic - apparently I was "pale and looked unwell", so was hauled out of the canteen and they were pushing little old ladies out of the way, to get me onto a bed.

Decided not to tell them I was an eh, Ironman...

Morto.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Happens me both times I tried it a few years back.

After much argument last year I was sent into get my bloods done, told the doctor what would happen, he laughed and said he would keep me occupied. Alas woke up a few minutes later on the chair again, me and giving blood don't agree :o

Dubai - if it is humanly possible, this place is actually getting worse for pedestrians/ runners/waddlers.

In the blind panic to build the biggest, tallest, shinyest structures, they have now figured out that the access roads are totally inadequate and starting to tear them up, removing the few footpaths that were around.

Madness.

13km in 75mins - lots of stopping, vaulting over roadworks signs etc..

Still, great to be running in the heat:)

Advertisement