Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

6 weeks in hell -Abu Dhabi to Conn via Donadea

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

Managed to hit the 3 Gold on the S/B/R challenge a little earlier this year!

Trying to keep the output around the 12 hour per week range, to include a couple of turbos and a long run.

Long run is proving difficult to get motivated for, but I'm tipping along in the 13-17km range for each run at the moment.

Calf/achillies problems have abated, so feeling good on the runs...

Starting to enjoy the turbo again, so less of a problem to kick myself out to the bike cave...

Das Boot - a great way to kill 3hrs 30min on the turbo!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭griffin100

Izoard wrote: »
    Das Boot - a great way to kill 3hrs 30min on the turbo!

Now that's a movie - one of my favourites. If I ever get back on the turbo again I'll be watching that

griffin100 wrote: »
    Now that's a movie - one of my favourites. If I ever get back on the turbo again I'll be watching that

Couldn't actually motivate myself to do the full movie in one go, so, I've 2 hours left for tomorrow morning!

Still on track to hit 12 hours (in fairness, this includes the bike commute when in Dublin) ave p/w over the course of 2011, but it will require continuous output at this level until 31/12....

Comparing volume to 2010, I'm currently at;
    Swim: 134%
    Bike: 128%
    Run 98%

A few likely work changes mean that I'll have significantly less time in 2012, so probably a good idea to get the long events out of the way early;)

A rep from the Leinster Development team was giving a tutorial last night on "introducing the tackle" to under age teams in rugby.

Given I'm training the mighty under 6's, I was prepared for a handy indoor Powerpoint session with a couple of the more experienced coaches throwing some shapes.

Cue 2 hours of rolling around in the mud and sleet with my "partner" - 6ft 4 and 20 stone, (re)learning the dark arts of rugby tackling.

Still can't really feel my legs and had to chuck out all my clothes when I got home...

Toughest workout in years!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Swim 134%

How has the added swim volume affected your swim pace/results?

Sound like fun on the pitch there!

Swim 134%

How has the added swim volume affected your swim pace/results?

Sound like fun on the pitch there!

I think you already know the answer there - long n' slow all the time:)

In order to get much below the 1:18 from Roth, I'd need to start getting some lessons - actually I generally know what needs to be fixed (swimming square in the water with little rotation), but I've been enjoying 50-60 min swims and just emptying my head - good de-stresser!

Is it really only 6 weeks to Donadea???

Woke up in the middle of the night a couple of days ago, with the not-having-studied-for-The Leaving dream - pretty close correlation with my state of readiness for the spring.

Longish run and turbo yesterday to test current levels - not too bad, as I've been ticking away at all 3 since DCM, but no long stuff.

Now that the panic levels are nice and high, time to get going!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I was thinking of that the other day.

13 is the max I've done since DCM, aiming for about 15 at the weekend.

Can do 50k off a long run of about 18 miles I hope. :)

L(V)SR - 32km @ 5.30min pace.

I blew this off yesterday, so had to get it done today, as I'm off the reservation for the next while.

Woke up with a bit of a hangover, but out with the foxes @ 0630.

I'm hoping to do the 2 ultras at around this pace (except for planned walks up the 2 major climbs @ Conn), so was quite happy to average this for the first run over 17km since DCM.

Will try to get 2 more in before Donadea...

Good first week of 2012 - plenty of turbo action and a solid LSR.

• Advertisement

Ahh, Thierry Henry - all is forgiven!:)

Finally got off the swimming mark yesterday - nothing like hanging around the bottom of the SBR challenge to encourage some action.

Legs feeling it from the run on Sunday so 2 swims should have me back ready for a run at lunchtime...

Legs feeling it from the run on Sunday so 2 swims should have me back ready for a run at lunchtime...

I'd say all the turbo has a part to play in that too...

He was offside. :p

He was offside. :p

He's 12-for-12 against Leeds...you must love him:)

He's 12-for-12 against Leeds...you must love him:)

4 of them in one game. Relegation season. Michael Duberry in defence. Christ. :rolleyes:

That scoreline flattered us if Arsenal's shooting wasn't so poor it would have been a lot worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

That scoreline flattered us if Arsenal's shooting wasn't so poor it would have been a lot worse.

Been listening to that for the past 15 years!

I'd say all the turbo has a part to play in that too...

True.

Did my standard 17km route, ave 5.10 per km - slower than my planned 5.00, but was feeling rubbish for the first 6k or so...flying towards the end.

Someday soon I'll get around to running on consecutive days:rolleyes:

Donned the compression tights in an effort to get another reasonable run in today.

While the lycra body coverage was approaching 90% (almost at full morphsuit level), I felt good all the way round , ave of 5.02min per km for 17km - considerably better than yesterday.

Possible placebo-effect, but I'm convinced of the benefits!

I fear my brief time frolicking in the deep end of the SBR Challenge, is coming to an end.

Heading to the US tomorrow for a week, where I'll be lucky to squeeze in a couple of treadmill efforts.:rolleyes:

3 treadmill + 1 outdoor run, squeezed into a busy work/party schedule.

Knowing when to slink off to bed to avoid a show-stopping hangover is a black art I'm getting better at...

• Advertisement

Knowing when to slink off to bed to avoid a show-stopping hangover is a black art I'm getting better at...

That's whats known as one's age and maturity finally starting to match :D

Managed to avoid any running over the weekend, but did put in some time on the turbo.
    Was looking forward to a decent run at lunchtime, only to discover I'd forgotten my running shorts.
    Now, I still had my under shorts, but you can pretty much tell my religion through them, so not wanting to scare any small kids, I gave it the skip.

So, jumped into the pool for the second time today - 5.1km for the day - probably a cool down for someone like interested....

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Notwitch

You're going to have some top Irish company in Abu dhabi it would seem!

Notwitch wrote: »
    You're going to have some top Irish company in Abu dhabi it would seem!

Haven't seen which of the Irish glitterati will be in attendance, but it always attracts a serious pro field...

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Notwitch

Haven't seen which of the Irish glitterati will be in attendance, but it always attracts a serious pro field...

Quote from Bryan McCrystals recent SA 70.3 race report

"You can read about my next venture to Abu dhabi with Ironmen Owen Martin and Liam Dolan in March where we will swim 4km, bike 200km and run 20km."

Matt Molloy going too i think.

"You can read about my next venture to Abu dhabi with Ironmen Owen Martin and Liam Dolan in March where we will swim 4km, bike 200km and run 20km."

Should be a good duel. Matt Molloy has an unreal lineup of races this year
    Lanza, 70.3 worlds, Abu Dhabi LD, Roth for the Irish record, Kona and Kilkee!

Not sure of Bryan's plans, but I'll be sticking to the official 3km distance!:)

Great Irish line up....

Saw 3 different Vibram-clad people out running at lunch time...what am I missing?

Saw 3 different Vibram-clad people out running at lunch time...what am I missing?

The feel of dog sh1t between your toes.

• Advertisement

griffin100 wrote: »
    The feel of dog sh1t between your toes.

The South County Dublin Tourist Authority are on your case...

Advertisement