Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

6 weeks in hell -Abu Dhabi to Conn via Donadea

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

Feeling good today - easy turbo for 90mins - had to knock it on the head a little early as WW III was breaking out at bedtime...

Definitely hitting the wall at the moment. Twice this week, I've jumped out of the pool after 10mins to hit the sauna...

The logistics for Abu Dhabi are also beginning to do my head in - always a bad idea to intertwine work and play:(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

You've just come off one hell of an awesome weekend - you probably needed the sauna more than the pool anyway. :)

Dory Dory wrote: »
    You've just come off one hell of an awesome weekend - you probably needed the sauna more than the pool anyway. :)

True - but there is always a voice whispering in my ear about people doing 6k "yard" sets, far, far away (while training for a marathon)....

Izoard wrote: »
    True - but there is always a voice whispering in my ear about people doing 6k "yard" sets, far, far away (while training for a marathon)....

Filthy rumors....... ;)

• Advertisement

Was looking forward to my "short" run today of 27km..lie in until 0630:)

27km @ 5.10km pace.

Beautiful morning for a run - we've been spoilt this winter with the weather.
    Mind you, I have not done one outdoor km on either the TT or road bike - ideal prep for a 200km bike next weekend.

This is turning into a logistical nightmare, but heading out to Abu Dhabi tomorrow, with a bucket load of work stuff in Dubai on Thurs/Fri.

Really hoping I can make it back to AD on time to register on Fri afternoon...:rolleyes:

They way home is not much better- finish the race around 1700 and then get ready for a 0200 departure (will need to be nice to a couple of the Irish lads in order to sponge a shower off them...), which gets me back home around 0800 - just in time to head back out to assist at the u6 rugby blitz on Sun morning....

Can't imagine Macca or Crowie putting up with this nonsense!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭griffin100

This is turning into a logistical nightmare, but heading out to Abu Dhabi tomorrow, with a bucket load of work stuff in Dubai on Thurs/Fri.

Really hoping I can make it back to AD on time to register on Fri afternoon...

They way home is not much better- finish the race around 1700 and then get ready for a 0200 departure (will need to be nice to a couple of the Irish lads in order to sponge a shower off them...), which gets me back home around 0800 - just in time to head back out to assist at the u6 rugby blitz on Sun morning....

Can't imagine Macca or Crowie putting up with this nonsense!

Oh woe is me, having to race in the nice weather in an exotic location with some of the best pro's in the world :P

Yes I am jealous (it certainly sounds better than my plans for a half marathon in the arse end of Meath this weekend).

Good luck with it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

Best of luck in Abu Dhabi. The race will be an oasis of calm, the rest sounds like a lot of stress!

griffin100 wrote: »
    Oh woe is me, having to race in the nice weather in an exotic location with some of the best pro's in the world :P

Yes I am jealous (it certainly sounds better than my plans for a half marathon in the arse end of Meath this weekend).

Good luck with it :D

True - if I make the registration, the rest will work itself out.

BTW, I could never really distinguish the "ar$e end" of Meath from any other part of it... :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Best of luck this weekend. Should be a cracking event. Enjoy

Belated congrats on Donadea too. Well done :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭RedB

pgibbo wrote: »
    Best of luck this weekend. Should be a cracking event. Enjoy

Belated congrats on Donadea too. Well done :cool:

+1

If the heat is bothering you, just cast your mind back to last year's Wicklow 200 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭handangeo

Really hoping I can make it back to AD on time to register on Fri afternoon...:rolleyes:

Can't imagine Macca or Crowie putting up with this nonsense!:)

Need a wingman??:D:D:D:D:D:D

RedB wrote: »
    +1

If the heat is bothering you, just cast your mind back to last year's Wicklow 200 :)

There is a picture of myself and a mate at the top of Slieve Maan that day - might as well have been taken in Jan:)

You planning to do it in prep for IMAT?
    handangeo wrote: »
    Need a wingman??:D:D:D:D:D:D

Ehh, yeah! Expect to see you at T2 tomorrow, bright and early...you can cycle up!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

Is it an option to register thurs am and up to Dubai then with less time pressure?

Reg was a relaxed affair last year, organised well and they were hangin around a little in case any late ones but ideally not what you want obv.

Alternative can you get one of the irish lads to register for you?

Enjoy the race, it's superb and the bike is pure class. Even in 38 degree windy days.
    Rather you than me doing the long stuff though! Fair play!
    Hope the next few days go as planned.

There is a picture of myself and a mate at the top of Slieve Maan that day - might as well have been taken in Jan:)

You planning to do it in prep for IMAT?

Ehh, yeah! Expect to see you at T2 tomorrow, bright and early...you can cycle up!

I don't need to be asked twice! But I'm not ready for that heat :eek:, best of luck - I'll be expecting a podium placing from you, nothing less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Enjoy the race Fergal hopefully it goes smoothly for you. Sounds like getting to the start line is half the battle:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Best of luck Chief, I'll follow with interest. Can't wait to hear your take on it all

• Registered Users Posts: 4,086 ✭✭✭Bambaata

All the best Izoard!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Hope they are televising this one again later in the year, we might see you looking sharp hanging around with all the Irish elites in transition. Enjoy the race!

• Advertisement

Knock em dead!!!!! Or at least dazzle the hell out of them. ;)

Right...made it! Just as well - bike is in rag order...:eek:

Wall-to-wall pros wandering around and very friendly.

Also the cream of Irish talent - was sitting at a table with LCD, Owen Martin, Bryan McC and Matt Molloy...spot the odd one out:)

Temp expected to be 28 C on Sat - however, it feels waaayyy hotter between 11-3pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Also the cream of Irish talent - was sitting at a table with LCD, Owen Martin, Bryan McC and Matt Molloy...spot the odd one out:)

Were you the one sipping on a Margherita with a plate of chips beside you??

Right...made it! Just as well - bike is in rag order...:eek:

Wall-to-wall pros wandering around and very friendly.

Temp expected to be 28 C on Sat - however, it feels waaayyy hotter between 11-3pm.

Keeping only the best of company I see!

catweazle wrote: »
    Were you the one sipping on a Margherita with a plate of chips beside you??

These guys must eat nothing - skelatal...

"Ehhh Liam..you finishing that bean sprout???"

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Best of luck. Enjoy, looking forward to the report.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

Good luck with race. 28 degrees in the shade too I guess? I'd have melted away by the time I came out of T1!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Best of luck, cant wait to read the report. ;)

While the Irish IM elites were ripping it up (I saw 2 of them in transition, disecting their race, as I was heading out on the run:eek:), I took a more leisurely 9.30 to get around.

I'll get a report up in the next day or so....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

While the Irish IM elites were ripping it up (I saw 2 of them in transition, disecting their race, as I was heading out on the run:eek:), I took a more leisurely 9.30 to get around.

I'll get a report up in the next day or so....

Good stuff Fergal hope you enjoyed it and cannot wait to read your race report. Enjoy the well earned pints. 2 down and Conn to go :)

Advertisement