Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

6 weeks in hell -Abu Dhabi to Conn via Donadea

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

Pre Race;
    The combining of this race with work, meant logistics turned into a bit of a nightmare, but managed to end up back in AD on Thurs night, albeit with some work to do on Friday.
    On the bike front, this was going to be the maiden voyage with the S80s – managed to wreck 2 tubes before I left trying to get the tyres on (is it just me that can’t mount the Conti GP4000s?).
    Sure enough, I blew out a 3rd, so down to the bike store on site.
    While dealing with the tyre issue, the main man informed me that my chain was on the wrong way. Apparently Shimano now have directional chains, so this has been on backwards for the guts of 2 years.
    Though it was a pi$$ take at first, but the guy was German, so not in his make up J
    Anyways, a good few $$$ later and the bike is good to go.
    Aside from the bike issues, I was getting nervous about the quality of the field that were here.
    With 300 or so entries, all appeared to be at the sharp end. None more so, than the stellar Irish IM cast that was in the hotel – LCD, BMC, Owen Martin and Matt Molloy.
    All the serious heads, and me, were doing the long course – everyone else doing the Sprint or Short.
    Aside from our local heros, the place was wall to wall pros.
    Although not racing, Julie Dibens, as the double defending champion is everywhere.
    I’m down in the race start area and she is being filimed for something or other. I was chatting to the camera guy earlier and he comes over to me saying they quickly need a Trek bike for a piece.
    With my trusty steed beside me, I said “no problem”, delighted that she (the bike…) would finally get recognition for her faithful support.
    Cue Julie “Hi, actually I need a Trek Speed Concept…not....this…”
    Beeatch! J
    Race Day;
    Up @ 4am and watching what the Irish boys are eating – Breakfast of Champions – porridge and eh, porridge. If it is good enough for them….
    Once in transition, it is announced there will be a 30min delay – no one seems to know why, but more hanging around than necessary.
    Eventually, the pros line up and the start to introduce the top guys and gals one-by-one. Incredible field – very tough to pick a winner from such depth.
    After the leading women have completed their first swim lap, we are next.

Standing at the start beside LCD and Owen Martin, I get a slight panic attack…
    “What the fu$k am I doing here?
    My outdoor cycles have been exclusively a massive 19km (round trip) bike commute, while turbos have taken the form of 2 hours spinning, watching movies…this is not a bike that you can blag your way through”
    While I’m sweating about preparation, the gun goes off…
    Swim (3km): Goal 1:00 Actual 1:01:44
    Standard 2 lap swim – no real debate about wetsuits, temp was 20C or so.
    First lap was clear – I had a lot of space, very quickly J
    2nd lap, although sighting was better, there was a lot of traffic from the short course heads, so plenty of kicks in the face etc…2nd lap slightly lower than the first.
    T1:
    Somehow managed to waste 7:21 in transition – shocking.
    Bike(200km): Goal 6:40 Actual 6:33:03
    My goal plan was based on the 30kph delivered in Roth, however there was a fatal flaw that this would automagically happen, without any training…
    Nevertheless, the 1st out leg to the Yas F1 circuit went well (appears to be no wind – lucky break, eh???).
    The route is generally elevated motorway with a few bridges for variation.
    The spin around the F1 track was good, but a little lacking, as it was completely empty.
    As we made our way around the track, the wind suddenly appeared J
    Once exiting the F1 track, we were straight into a headwind for the 40k back to the transition area. While it was a wake-up call, I was still feeling good and it wasn’t long before I was back at the F1 circuit with 120km done (through the 100k in 3:04).
    At this point the wind had really picked up and once we turned back into the wind, I was gone. Cursing myself for not doing the short course, I was facing 80km of complete pain.
    The one benefit of the wind, was that, although very hot at this point, you didn’t really feel it.
    The 40km back to the transition, was probably the most difficult triathlon bike leg, I’ve had to deal with.
    Mentally, I was cooked, sitting up on the bars pedalling squares into a howling wind, knowing I’d done no real prep for this.
    Somehow I managed to crawl back to transition, with an “easy” 20km ahead, followed by another 20km of wind.
    I finally got my act together to get back down on the bars and try to rescue the situation - this wasn’t a physical issue really, mainly mental.
    On the way back out for the final mini lap, I was having real difficulty controlling the bike in the cross windswith the s80 on the front. At one point, I came to a stop, convinced that the QR had come loose, such was the vibration
    In all hone.sty, I found the bike leg crushingly boring – endless highway (easy one way, very painful the other – Eireman, anyone?).
    Once the “short” guys had peeled off, you were out there on your own, looking for miles in the distance with nothing ahead.
    The spin through the F1 track, was novel, but with nothing going on, it was, well, empty!
    Never been as glad to get a bike over with…
    Having said that, this is a course hand built for the uber biker – some of the times put up were incredible.
    T2: Another 5:49 wasted – was probably crying into my runners at the thought of having to do anything after the bike – seeing a few of the Irish elites standing around in transition, dissecting their race, didn’t help.
    Run(20km): Goal 1:45 Actual 1:42:37
    My legs were like jelly from the bike and I shuffled and stumbled my way to the 5km mark.
    I fell into the very inviting trap of stopping at all aid stations (like an IM run, this was one long aid station), which again was a mental frailty.
    Through 10km, I gave myself a bit of a pep talk and the normal running service began to resume.
    I ignored all the aid stations from then on and picked my way through 8-10 people in the last 10km.
    Coming to the finish, I was flying, semi-wishing this was an IM marathon, as I was bouncing at this point.
    Finishing was a relief, but also a frustration – I was feeling great, for the first time in about 4 hours!
    Overall, 9:30:32 – better than the 10:00, I’d originally aimed for and based on the terrible training, about the limit of what I could deliver.
    As a race – this is iconic in a number of ways and well worth doing (very welcoming and low key, despite the massed pro ranks), the bike just didn’t float my boat, for a number of reasons.
    Finally, the Irish boys ripped it up – BMC 16th overall, LCD 1st in AG & 23rd overall (was on stage at the awards gig!) and Owen Martin 36th overall.
    Matt Molly had the fastest overall AG swim, and was flying on the bike, before coming a cropper on the F1 track – road rash only, so he’ll fight on.
    2 down one to go – Connemara Ultra...not a bike in sight!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Congrats to you! You've been a very busy boy.....and you're really flying! Fantastic report - sounds like you had a memorable experience hobnobbing with the elites.....even if that Julie girl wasn't willing to give your spiffy ride the time of day. Her loss. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭griffin100

Great report, I felt your pain on the bike having been there in IMUK, you did well to keep going. I do like this idea of doing long distance tri's of a minimum of bike training and beating your target time :)

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Congrats to you! You've been a very busy boy.....and you're really flying! Fantastic report - sounds like you had a memorable experience hobnobbing with the elites.....even if that Julie girl wasn't willing to give your spiffy ride the time of day. Her loss. ;)

Well said, DD...

In case anyone is wondering what Julie gave the proverbial 2-fingers to...

417312_10150580263853333_577703332_9332062_1959351503_n.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

Brilliant report, a joy to read that. well done on the race, and exceeding what you expected.
    Apparently Shimano now have directional chains...
    Though it was a pi$$ take at first, but the guy was German, so not in his make up

:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Good stuff enjoyed reaing that. although the bike sounds long and boring would it be considered fast in your opinion.

Izoard wrote: »
    Well said, DD...

In case anyone is wondering what Julie gave the proverbial 2-fingers to...

417312_10150580263853333_577703332_9332062_1959351503_n.jpg

Ppffttttt...........that's soooooo 2009.

Good stuff enjoyed reaing that. although the bike sounds long and boring would it be considered fast in your opinion.

It is a fast course - my lack of training notwithstanding.

Good roads, little climbing - the slower AGers were just unlucky in that the wind was building throughout the day.

griffin100 wrote: »
    Ppffttttt...........that's soooooo 2009.

How very dare you! - I was going to go with....

429225_333727520010737_100001204762958_1048159_748163658_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

That was a fantastic performance lad. Great reading. can't believe you only have done 19k on the bike outside before the race. Mad hatter you

Abhainn wrote: »
    That was a fantastic performance lad. Great reading. can't believe you only have done 19k on the bike outside before the race. Mad hatter you

Well, it was 19km per day, when in Dublin - still not ideal prep...:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Nice report. Congrats! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭handangeo

Like the race details - dont think the heats for me ;)

Absolute disaster since making it back from AD on Sun morning.

Woke up Monday with an epic dose of man flu which has levelled me since, although I had to make 2 work trips in between.

in addition, the youngest was carted into Tallaght hospital with a nasty reaction to something or other that resulted in a huge swelling in his nether regions:rolleyes:

48 hours later, they finally let him out, but have no idea what happend to him - very frustrating.

Absolute write off of a week, hoping Monday brings some normality and I can start worrying about Conn again!

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Sorry to hear youre back down to earth a bit too hard. Wishing you normality!

Still coughing up my insides, but have forced myself out running again.

Keeping it nice and easy and hoping things get a bit better by next week.

Will probably skip the 20miler at the weekend, in favour of 2 shorter runs..

I was looking at the official photos from Abu Dhabi earlier - first ever (run) photo with both feet off the ground...

The MC was giving me the full Paddywhackery coming down the finish chute - I was lapping it up:)

ABUD0263.jpeg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭DustyBin

I'm doing long runs with a group of friends Saturday mornings if you happen to be holiday-ing down this way and in the humour sometime?
    Pace tends to be about 5.30-5.45/k so no bother to ya.
    I'm doing 15 miles this weekend if you're about

Was hoping to make it down to Wexford in time for a group run with DustyBin and his cohorts, but still in Dublin, so decided to have a crack at a long run, which has been overdue.

Up and out at 6.15am - great to be starting a morning run in daylight!

35km @ 05.19 pace. Very happy with that considering I sounded like a 40-a-day man all the way around and lost about 3kg in weight from snot and phlegm...nice.

A bit similar to RQ's flu travails (although being male, mine is of the "epic" variety...), this has come back with a vengence this week.

Had great plans for a 35km run at easy pace that would give me good confidence for Conn.

Instead, 22km of coughing and spluttering on the hottest day of the year.

Managed it @ 5.10km pace - legs were fine, but lungs were another matter.

Mental travel week ahead, so just hoping to hit the Conn start line in reasonable shape and see how we go.

Beautiful weather in Johannesburg for running - however I'm confined to 2 x 70min treadmill sessions.

Reality check came after 10 mins of coughing and spluttering all over the treadmill:

Gym Manager: Basss, you OK?

Me: Grand, grand...

Gym Manager: You sure you shouldn't be lying down...?

Fair point - on that basis, I decided against any granular discussion of pace for the Conn Ultra given the risk of immediate committal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

You should have told him you were planning to run 63 k on Sunday and observed his reaction

• Advertisement

Final leg of the " 6 week season" coming up!

Still feeling pretty sh1te, but I don't plan on elevating the HR too much anyways, so hopefully, I'll survive.

Back from SA yesterday, only to head out again to London today, so looking forward to finally getting home tonight and being able to properly panic about this race.

Looks like there is a good crew aiming for sub-6...I think sticking with the group, at least until the 26.2 is complete, is the path to success in this case.

Bring-it-on!

Best of luck on Sunday F. Hopefully I won't see you on the road, if I do it means I've died in a big way. Sh1te, you did almost catch me with the 4.30 group in DCM...........

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

6 weeks of remembering to wish you good luck and then a lengthy break :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Best of luck on Sunday Izoard, sorry that I won't be there for you to chase down for 60k and overtake me when the pain sets in.

If you don't break 6 you don't deserve to come back here to receive any plaudits.

Have fun. I'm dead jealous.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Good luck on Sunday! I bet you'll breathe a sigh of relief when it's over. ;)

Best of luck on Sunday Izoard, sorry that I won't be there for you to chase down for 60k and overtake me when the pain sets in.

If you don't break 6 you don't deserve to come back here to receive any plaudits.

Have fun. I'm dead jealous.

I presumed the rules of Connemara required your participation before the event could actually go ahead.

In any event, I'm likely to see more of you around the mean streets Leenane than in Donadea after your "of course I'm aiming for 4.30" farce of Donadea, where you disappear at 4hr pace or similar.

All the best with your recuperation and general health maintenance over the next few weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Give it socks lad....you have been slacking lately :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

Best of luck on Sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Best of luck tomorrow, see you there.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Good luck with it :)

Advertisement