Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

‘OCCUPY Wall Street’ protestors on Dame Street

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

20Cent wrote: »
    Ben Brenanke, Obama and now Angela Merke;l are taking the protesters seriously and have said they don't blame them. Looks like it is getting somewhere.
    http://uk.reuters.com/article/2011/10/17/eurozone-germany-protests-idUSB4E7LA00C20111017

Oct 17 (Reuters) - German Chancellor Angela Merkel is taking very seriously anti-capitalism protests this weekend, her spokesman said on Monday.

"The government is ... taking the protests very seriously. They express a concern for more justice of the people," Merkel's spokesman Steffen Seibert told a regular news conference.

"It hasn't yet been achieved but it must be achieved to give the financial markets the rules that we find socially acceptable in Germany," he added.

A finance ministry spokesman also said there should be an international discussion about splitting banks into their business arms.

Heh - the politicians finally want to rein in the financial sector, and there you guys are, calling for the financial sector to be reined in. Congratulations, you're convenient! Which means the protests will likely "achieve" something.

Apologies for the cynicism.

it's still good,
    Scofflaw

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Scofflaw wrote: »
    Heh - the politicians finally want to rein in the financial sector, and there you guys are, calling for the financial sector to be reined in. Congratulations, you're convenient! Which means the protests will likely "achieve" something.

it's still good,
    Scofflaw

What have you achieved today? :p

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    What have you achieved today? :p

Much the same as yourselves, by the looks of it.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

Much the same as yourselves, by the looks of it.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

I've done loads actually - on me third load (cottons - low temp) and its only just gone 10. ;)

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    I've done loads actually - on me third load (cottons - low temp) and its only just gone 10. ;)

Ah, well if we're competing on that basis, I've already cleared out the under-stairs cupboard, walked my daughter to school, and rewritten a small stack of code.

glamorously,
    Scofflaw

• Advertisement

Ah, well if we're competing on that basis, I've already cleared out the under-stairs cupboard, walked my daughter to school, and rewritten a small stack of code.

glamorously,
    Scofflaw

Are we competing? - damn! Better up my game so....;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭20Cent

it's still good,
    Scofflaw

Like its only a coincidence :rolleyes:

I'm sure you've brought the politicians to their senses/knees.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

it's still good,
    Scofflaw

Well it certainly hasn't come about as a result of the pathetically misguided Dame St protest lol

Well it certainly hasn't come about as a result of the pathetically misguided Dame St protest lol

You need to understand the bigger picture, this is a worldwide thing all working together. The people on Dame Street are just a part of it. It is a game changer which will make a huge differences and changes for the better for all of us. Don't expect any detractors to admit or acknowledge this since they have invested so much time mocking the protesters instead of joining them.

• Advertisement

You need to understand the bigger picture, this is a worldwide thing all working together. The people on Dame Street are just a part of it. It is a game changer which will make a huge differences and changes for the better for all of us. Don't expect any detractors to admit or acknowledge this since they have invested so much time mocking the protesters instead of joining them.

Hardly took any time at all, really. But the global protests, I would say, are in danger of being taken over by the politicians for their own purposes, because they're useful. The Dame Street protest, not so much.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

Hardly took any time at all, really. But the global protests, I would say, are in danger of being taken over by the politicians for their own purposes, because they're useful. The Dame Street protest, not so much.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

Useful as a distraction so no one notices how stupid and incompetent politicians are.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

The Dame St protest lacks the substance of the others, especially in the US.
    The goal is clearer there and the agenda is more real.

Corporate control of government is also much more widespread there than here.

Also, you can't compare the "99%" there with here at all. Those without jobs on Dame St are at least collecting the dole; I bet that's something they'd die for in the US

The Dame St protest lacks the substance of the others, especially in the US.
    The goal is clearer there and the agenda is more real.

Corporate control of government is also much more widespread there than here.

Also, you can't compare the "99%" there with here at all. Those without jobs on Dame St are at least collecting the dole; I bet that's something they'd die for in the US

You reckon? Wouldn't think so check out our two tier society for examples.
    What does the 99% have to do with the dole?

The lefty rag the Financial Times Editorial on the Occupy movement:

America wakes to the din of inequity
    http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/0/76a7c01a-f66f-11e0-86dc-00144feab49a.html#axzz1b30OFbvh

But the fundamental call for a fairer distribution of wealth cannot be ignored. What is at stake is the future of the American dream. The bargain has always been that all who work hard should have an opportunity for prosperity. That dream has been shattered by a crisis brought about by financial excess and political cynicism. The consequence has been growing in­equality, rising poverty and sacrifice by those least able to bear it – all of which are failing to deliver economic growth.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭LaBaguette

Dammit, I missed this thread.

I went there to have a chat with the lads on the 2nd or 3rd day of protest, on my way home from the pub. Interesting alright !

A few of the signs were funny enough. I spotted a few "MEDIA BLACKOUT" signs, nevermind the fact that they were on the front page of the Times website on their 2nd day.

Also, various mentions of anarchism. How does it fit with the big "Real Democracy" banner, I've yet to figure.

On that particular topic, and many others, the answer I got from one of the lads who seemed to be "in charge" (read : trying to organise stuff and more informed on the subject than the others) was that they did not know exactly what they meant by this, and that figuring it out was one of the aims of the protest.

Protest first, figure out your ideas next.

I can't resist a few quotes, though.

(on the topic of their choice of location) "Besides, the Central Bank is symbolic : I've got it from a reliable source that they are reprinting the punt in that building because they know that the euro will collapse". Nevermind the fact that it's printed in Sandyford.

"Why not the IFSC you say ? Well to be honest I don't really know where it is, and there's loads of space here."

"The IMF was funded by Anglo anyway, so it's only going full circle when they give back to money to us."

• Registered Users Posts: 33,013 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Why is it when you see protests like this, most of the protesters look like they wouldn't get out of bed to do a day's work, ever.

They all want to live in a utopian world that could never exist.

OK so I know a few at the top ruined the country for the rest of us and we will pay for years to come, but they want things now that simply are crazy. "Go home IMF", yeah ok so where are we going to get the money to pay the Gardai, the teachers, the nurses, the doctors, the hundreds of thousands on the social?

Would love to hear their ideas.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭LaBaguette

They'd invite you to debate about it to figure it out.

Oh and, they're against politicians and they don't want politicians to join in.

I suppose a lot of people just like to sit and wait for a solution they totally agree with to fall into their lap. Newsflash this will never happen.
    Others go out and work for what they believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

NIMAN wrote: »
    Why is it when you see protests like this, most of the protesters look like they wouldn't get out of bed to do a day's work, ever.

By what prejudiced criteria are you judging someone's likelihood to work? The colour of their clothes? The length of their hair? How tall they are? Their accent?
    They all want to live in a utopian world that could never exist.

You mean like a world in which I go into a bookies and bet on a horse, that horse loses the race and I DON'T expect the Irish taxpayer to refund my money? (for "I" read "bondholders", for "bookies" read "bank" and for horse read "investment")
    OK so I know a few at the top ruined the country for the rest of us and we will pay for years to come, but they want things now that simply are crazy. "Go home IMF", yeah ok so where are we going to get the money to pay the Gardai, the teachers, the nurses, the doctors, the hundreds of thousands on the social?

Would love to hear their ideas.

These are tough questions but they'll have to be answered sooner or later - the IMF won't keep throwing money at us forever, and one day we'll have to repay every penny WITH INTEREST. Where do you suggest we're going to get this?

The IMF may help us in the short term but their programme is storing up horrific problems which will then have to be faced by later generations.

• Advertisement

LaBaguette wrote: »
    They'd invite you to debate about it to figure it out.

Do you object to this? If we the public don't come up with our own solutions we'll have to accept whatever self serving bullsh*t those in power throw at us. Fine mess that's got us in so far, eh?
    Oh and, they're against politicians and they don't want politicians to join in.

We're perfectly ok with politicians joining in provided they leave their party affiliation at the door and join as individuals.

I suppose a lot of people just like to sit and wait for a solution they totally agree with to fall into their lap. Newsflash this will never happen.

And how do you feel about 40% of what you work to earn being taken out of your pocket, not to build schools or roads or hospitals for the Irish people but to repay speculators who knew perfectly well what they were getting themselves into when they chose, of their own free will, to bet on the horse?

And how do you feel about 40% of what you work to earn being taken out of your pocket, not to build schools or roads or hospitals for the Irish people but to repay speculators who knew perfectly well what they were getting themselves into when they chose, of their own free will, to bet on the horse?

I think your getting the wrong end of the stick I'm all for Occupy Dame Street.

New statement out now re Saturday

http://www.occupydamestreet.org/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

And whose idea was it to handover this money?
    Yes thats right you should be protesting outside the Dail

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭Sand

By what prejudiced criteria are you judging someone's likelihood to work? The colour of their clothes? The length of their hair? How tall they are? Their accent?

Their having immense amounts of free time to spend camped out on Dame Street for weeks on end?

Sand wrote: »
    Their having immense amounts of free time to spend camped out on Dame Street for weeks on end?

Not everyone is there all the time it rotates.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

So this is work for these people? :eek:, geez I wonder who's paying them, the taxpayer would be my guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭mikep

An interesting report on yesterdays drivetime on Radio 1...David Norris was canvassing and visited dame street. A number of the protestors were spoken too and all, it has to be said, came across as totally idiotic..

One guy, Francis I think his name was went off on a rant about not needing a piece of paper that was hundreds of years old(!!) ( referring to the constitution) to get his rights...he had started by asking was Norris a "sovereign"...The mad part was that you could hear the other "protestors" cheering him and clapping....It was classic comedy sketch "loonie left" stuff..

Pity Norris didn't ask them what they did for a living....

So this is work for these people? :eek:, geez I wonder who's paying them, the taxpayer would be my guess.

A good few work and are there when they are off. Some are unemployed, some come fro a few days then go. Stuff like that.
    I’m a businessman. Here’s why I joined Occupy Dame Street
    http://www.thejournal.ie/readme/column-im-a-businessman-heres-why-i-joined-occupy-dame-street/

• Advertisement

ei.sdraob wrote: »
    And whose idea was it to handover this money?
    Yes thats right you should be protesting outside the Dail

Dame St is a better location not enough room outside the Dail. IFSC is too out of the way not enough passing traffic.

Advertisement