Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marriage cert = €150, average Irish wedding cost in a recession= €29,000, why?

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

Chiggers wrote: »
    LOL.

lol indeed

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I have never understood weddings in Ireland. I have worked in a few hotels where weddings are held and they are ALL THE SAME! They are way too expensive, generally boring and full of people you rarely see who just want free food (and maybe drink).

I was working at a wedding a few weeks ago where the bride and groom wanted a full Irish breakfast to be served at 2am. For 300 people. It cost them and extra €1,800. Srsly.

I don't plan on getting married, but if I do it would probably be in a warm country with only a few people. And would still be a lot cheaper than most Irish weddings.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

I know of a lot fun things one can do with 29.000 and a few sensible ones as well. Spending it on my wedding is NOT one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

I got married 3 weeks ago.

Total at the reception 130. Total at the afters another 40 or so.

Total shelled out, including honeymoom? Less than €11k.

The craic was ninety! I'd nearly do it all again! At least I'll know for the second time around.

We're adults. We invited who we wanted to invite, both mammies got a say in one invite. This shíte of "Oh you have to invite such and such, shure did they live down the road from us, back in the old county." Bolix. I don't know them. You haven't even seen them in years. GTFO.

Cars wise, a mate lent me his Mustang. My Best man sorted out a tidy 200SX for him and the groomsman. He also sorted out a nice Audi for me Mammy. All favours.

Supposed to have to 67 Beetles for the bride. Landed to pick one up, and wheel was siezed. Got home, went to the pub with the brothers for a swift one, and pulled in another favour, and a nice 300C turned up for her.

Cake, wedding present from Brother & Sister in Law, Sister in Laws sister makes them.

Dress. She got one of last years designs. Less than €500, fitted.

Band. Got them all day, from ceremony music, to pre function music, to band music, to DJ, €2000. Well worth it. Best wedding band I've ever seen, and I see at least 2 bands a weekend.

Photographer and videographer. Mates rates. Groomsmans father did video, and photographer works that with him did a savage price for us.

Favours? Utter bolix. I've invited you to my wedding. I'm paying for your meal and wine. I'm laying on entertainment. Do you really think I should have to put little trinkety crap on the tablets, or donate a herd of cattle to Ethiopia for you to feel good?

Honeymoon? Booked it the Monday after the wedding. Didn't care where we went. Anywhere we go, we have a laugh. Ended up going to the Algarve, and had a great week. Another couple that got married a couple of weeks before us are off on a 4 month honeymoon. They're fed up with each others company already, and they have 2 & half more months to go!

I couldn't have picked 2 better best men. She couldn't have had 2 better bridesmaids. I couldn't have picked a better Wifey. She had her Mam and Dad at the top table, I had me Mam and oldest brother (representing the male side of our family, Dad died years ago.)

Long story short. Spend what you want. Spend what you can afford. It's not all about the flashy bolix, (which I admit is nice) it's about who you have beside you on the day.

So...eh..Go Team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

Lia_lia wrote: »
    I have never understood weddings in Ireland. I have worked in a few hotels where weddings are held and they are ALL THE SAME! They are way too expensive, generally boring and full of people you rarely see who just want free food (and maybe drink).

I was working at a wedding a few weeks ago where the bride and groom wanted a full Irish breakfast to be served at 2am. For 300 people. It cost them and extra €1,800. Srsly.

I don't plan on getting married, but if I do it would probably be in a warm country with only a few people. And would still be a lot cheaper than most Irish weddings.
    They are full of people you rarely see who want free food and drink.

Are you sure its weddings in Ireland you are referring to? The bride and groom invite who they want to be there and bar some mean guests the majority more than pay for their meal with the wedding gift. In fact I know of plenty people including myself who would rather not being invited to weddings as they are expensive for guests also.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

how can a wedding cost 29 grand?

so far mine has cost -

flowers - a gift from a family friend
    cake - 300
    cars - mate has a limo company so 300 for a vintage and a stretch limo
    suits - 300 again, the fella who did my brothers suits so he is 'looking after' me
    the reception - a gift from the brides parents
    band - 1200 and the dj is a mate who is doing it for free
    dvd - a lot of haggling brought the price down to 900
    the dresses - she is getting them in debenhams and wont be spending more than 500 on the bridesmaids, hers wont be more then a grand
    the church - 200 (more haggling)
    honeymoon - a grand
    rings - havent looked yet

few more things but they are not expensive. we got a double chocolate fountain for 400

a lot of cost can be haggled, word of mouth and who you know help a lot as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

so far mine has cost -

cake - 300
    suits - 300 again, the fella who did my brothers suits so he is 'looking after' me
    the dresses - she is getting them in debenhams and wont be spending more than 500 on the bridesmaids, hers wont be more then a grand
    honeymoon - a grand

few more things but they are not expensive. we got a double chocolate fountain for 400

The reception meal is by far the most expensive part to be fair...
    Having said that I won't be spending more than a couple of thousand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

so far mine has cost -

cake - 300
    honeymoon - a grand

€1000 for the honeymoon. That's some bargain where are ye going and for how long?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Got married 3 years ago this December. Told our parents a week or so before hand that the day was coming. Registry office wedding, only important people there. Best day ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭tobsey

My girlfriend and I are getting married next June. When we were talking about how many people we were going to invite I said how I was very fond of my mother's family, my aunts, uncles and cousins. My mam has 9 siblings so they are a big family. In the last 10 years we have all been together for my granny's funeral, my aunt's funeral, my uncle's wedding and my grandad's funeral. I know which of the four I prefered. So when deciding between a wedding with 30 guests or going all out and inviting both families we decided we wanted everyone there with us on the day.

I'm not sure if any of this applies to you OP. I don't agree with your parents requesting 60 friends and colleagues. We are struggling to get our parent's to pick a few close friends that they want to invite, never mind 60! Our list currently has 208 people in total, but we are not going to spend anywhere near 29k. The 208 isn't padded either, it's family and close friends.

11k - hotel
    900 - Bride's dress & shoes
    700 - Bridesmaid's dresses & shoes
    300 - Bridal party hair and make up (I think, no idea TBH)
    600 - Mens suits (6 including both fathers)
    900 - Photogropher
    550 - Cars (friend rate)
    200 - Church donation (we have decided)
    200 - Flowers (the flower committee in church will arrange so cost price)
    270 - Pre-Marraige course and Registrar fee
    1750- Band and DJ
    5000- Honeymoon (haven't decided on this yet, less if possible but want it to be once in a lifetime style)

Total 22,370

I think that's everything. We should have at least 15k saved and will borrow for the rest if needs be. We could certainly trim that back a lot as well if we wanted. The hotel is 55 per head, we could have gotten it for ~30 in nice hotels but we liked the package we got. Photogropher could go because the pictures will probably on facebook by the end of the day. Cars could go. Band could go so just a DJ. That could knock at least 8k off the bill. Take away the honeymoon and you're well under 10k.

Each to their own I suppose but we felt we wanted to have everyone with us to celebrate. We have a daughter and bought our house three years ago so we feel as if our marriage is already started. We just want to enjoy making it official.

• Advertisement
Advertisement