Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rotterdam Marathon 2012 - 15/04/2012

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Knightmove

First post, first marathon. Running this with my two brothers one of whom is a decent runner ( he says so himself) while myself and the kid brother are the cannon fodder to make him look good. Thanks to all those who keep Training Logs up on this site, they have been a source of great encouragement to a non runner such as myself. On the back of Asiminov's advice I (very) loosely followed the P&D 55 programme while using the Dungarvan 10 mile ( thanks for pacing me around, Village Runner) and the Bohermeen 1/2 to confirm my lack of progress. Very much looking forward to the marathon and hoping all the early morning weekend runs in the Phoenix Park and the mid week wintery jaunts along the Clontarf sea-front are sufficient to break 4 hours...time will tell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

Folks, heading over with my dad.if anyone knows of good websites fir entertainment there offhand let us know. Considering a swim there on Monday, outdoors. Again if anyone knows of a canal etc.that is used by swimmers I'd be grateful. Hope taper is going well for everyone. Let's hope Moses mosop breaks the world weather and the rest of us have good runs at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭PaulieYifter

Itziger wrote: »
    Paulie, those relay fellas are a bunch of muppets. No way should they be ahead of 3 hr runners. Last year myself and Kentucky Pete pushed up past em just before gun went. With about a minute or two to go start edging in and around them. Good luck.

Thanks man - reckon I'll do a selfish shimmy up to the front so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

Knightmove wrote: »
    First post, first marathon. Running this with my two brothers one of whom is a decent runner ( he says so himself) while myself and the kid brother are the cannon fodder to make him look good. Thanks to all those who keep Training Logs up on this site, they have been a source of great encouragement to a non runner such as myself. On the back of Asiminov's advice I (very) loosely followed the P&D 55 programme while using the Dungarvan 10 mile ( thanks for pacing me around, Village Runner) and the Bohermeen 1/2 to confirm my lack of progress. Very much looking forward to the marathon and hoping all the early morning weekend runs in the Phoenix Park and the mid week wintery jaunts along the Clontarf sea-front are sufficient to break 4 hours...time will tell.

In fairness to your brother, he has age on his side (as well as talent). And sub four hour target? I don't think you're meant to include the time it takes to walk to and from the hotel in your goal time. Sub 3:30 is more like it.

In terms of pens, I think I'm in C.

T-runner, our dad is coming over as well. I wonder is there a dad-crèche to leave them in? I'm liking that weather outlook.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭dowlinj

Does anyone know what the situation with pace groups is...can't see anything on the website about it?

Starting to get excited now...not long to go - obsessively checking the 10-day weather report at every opportunity :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Fingers crossed - let it be true!
    7056046009_f5407f59c5_c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

T-Runner, if you wanted to relax for an hour or 2 check out an art gallery. Thats particularly true if you have time in Amsterdam on the way back.

T-Runner, if you wanted to relax for an hour or 2 check out an art gallery. Thats particularly true if you have time in Amsterdam on the way back.

You can always go window shopping ;)

it looks like there could be some serious elevation gains according to this map. :)

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Fingers crossed - let it be true!
    7056046009_f5407f59c5_c.jpg

Not bad if a bit cold given the windchill. The few days before and after sunday and monday look perfect at 11-14 '.

Will take it though. A disposable pair of running tights and a couple of disposeable long sleeve tops might be brought to the start line. Also gloves, cap and those cycling armwarmers i never wear may be sacrificed to keep the body warm for the early stages!!!

• Advertisement

Thanks SJ. Flights in at lunch on Friday so it will be lunch and a trip to the Gallery in Amster then.

Right down to the serious stuff
    Name|Bib|Predicted Time|Starting Pen|Pints|Actual Time
    BeepBeep67|1495|2:58:59|C|Yes

Right down to the serious stuff
    T Runner|3148|2:33:30|B|Coffees!

What time for Paddy Murphy's??

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭dowlinj

dowlinj|2098|3:29:59|D|In Amsterdam!

T runner wrote: »
    What time for Paddy Murphy's??

I'm easy - hopefully I'm heading back to the hotel for a shower shortly after 1:30, so around 3 bells?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

Best of luck to everybody doing this. Very fond memories of when I did this 2 years ago. Not much in the way of scenery but a good general atmosphere, with lots of music around the course, and of course it is fairly pan flat. Hopefully the Dutch weather will be as kind as it was on that day.

Enjoy the pints after but stay away from those coffee shops!!

PaulieYifter|3664|3:27:57|D|Hopefully

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    I'm easy - hopefully I'm heading back to the hotel for a shower shortly after 1:30, so around 3 bells?

Cant commit 100% to making it but will try and make an appearance. Have a few club mates headng over so will try and steer them in that direction.

PaulieYifter|3664|3:27:57|D|Hopefully
    Asimonov|1135|2:47:59|C|Dutch Gold

So, how is everybody's week going and what's the plan?

Mon - cut toenails
    Tue - shave shin/calf for kinesio tape
    Wed - physio massage
    Thu - hair cut
    Fri - fake tan pack
    Sat - fly
    Sun - run

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

So, how is everybody's week going and what's the plan?

Mon - cut toenails
    Tue - shave shin/calf for kinesio tape
    Wed - physio massage
    Thu - hair cut
    Fri - fake tan pack
    Sat - fly
    Sun - run

You forgot to schedule a few hours each day to analyse the numerous weather forecasts:)
    Very best of luck, I hope it goes really well for you and that you and your family have a great weekend.

Marthastew wrote: »
    You forgot to schedule a few hours each day to analyse the numerous weather forecasts:)
    Very best of luck, I hope it goes really well for you and that you and your family have a great weekend.

Cheers.

I'd given up on taking part so had cancelled hotel and redirected family flights to a summer holiday instead.

So now I'm bringing a mate with me and leaving the family at home!

The missus thinks it was part of my plan all along - maybe she's on to something there ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

Cheers.
    The missus thinks it was part of my plan all along - maybe she's on to something there ;)

I'm pretty sure she is on to something..... A very big present from duty Free for her I think?
    Have fun:)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Best of luck folks. Gutted I won't be taking to the start line with yee.

Have fun, was looking forward to this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

Best of luck to all on here running it, and to the 3 Irish guys & 2 Irish gals hoping for Olympic Qualification.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,753 ✭✭✭corny

Best of luck folks. Gutted I won't be taking to the start line with yee.

Have fun, was looking forward to this one.

Me too. Wasn't too disappointed a while back but now........:(

Anyway best of luck to all taking part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

corny wrote: »
    Me too. Wasn't too disappointed a while back but now........:(

Anyway best of luck to all taking part.

Me three, same as that. I've been avoiding this thread cause I'm pissed I'm not going. Lots of reasons but I've only run 3m in 5 weeks.

Best of luck to everyone, will be thinking of yee....enjoy the buzz afterwards and well done for getting to the line.

Give it socks.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 zinzan1

Who are the Irish runners trying for Olympic qualification in Rotterdam?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

zinzan1 wrote: »
    Who are the Irish runners trying for Olympic qualification in Rotterdam?

I believe Gary Thornton from Galway will be chasing a sub 2:15 which will get him the B olympic qualifying standard

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

Abhainn wrote: »
    I believe Gary Thornton from Galway will be chasing a sub 2:15 which will get him the B olympic qualifying standard

I think that would be the A standard. On the men's side Sean Connolly is also running. Not too sure about the ladies.

Best of luck to all those running. I'll be keeping a keen eye on the race as well as the obvious Irish interest I expect the world record to be smashed this weekend. Fingers crossed you all get the times you are chasing.

Advertisement