Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rotterdam Marathon 2012 - 15/04/2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭dermCu

asimonov wrote: »
    I wasn't planning on racing the half, but rather using it as a final preparation long tempo - so running 50' @ 3:50 or so and then hopefully a bit quicker for the final bit.

Tempo???? That'll be MP wont it? ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

It's a bit close for a half, isn't it? I'm doing Boston the day after Rotterdam so currently trying to figure out races. Think I'll aim for Ballycotton, earlier in March (4th) and try and find a 10k 2/3 weeks before race weekend (possibly Wicklow 10k).

Gad to see you're signed up for another marathon, to do some serious damage to that PB.

My new firend Mr Canova tells me that running too fast too close teaches the body to burn too much glycogen and is not specific enough.

Im thinking of the Bohermeen half on 4th March--6 weeks before race day. . Will be training for marathon but will race it 100%.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭pre

Looked up Wicklow a couple of weeks ago myself. A half marathon 3 weeks before it is a bit too close for me. Would mean sacrificing the last long run unless I did another 10 or so miles on top of that.

I'm thinking of either Kinvara (where going on last years times I could finish fairly high in the rankings) or the one in Meath on the same weekend. Enniscorthy 10k will be one of my warm up races most likely as well.
    I done Rotterdam last year and done the 10 k in wicklow which was quite hilly and a good test. U can still fit in ur long run maybe on thurs or friday before. Its different for everyone but a half marathon would probably tax the body too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

T runner wrote: »
    My new firend Mr Canova tells me that running too fast too close teaches the body to burn too much glycogen and is not specific enough.

Im thinking of the Bohermeen half on 4th March--6 weeks before race day. . Will be training for marathon but will race it 100%.

Yep thinking of that one too if they get a few entries, or maybe Kinvara which is a bit more established.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Yep thinking of that one too if they get a few entries, or maybe Kinvara which is a bit more established.

If it's the same crowd that organise the 5km (I assume it is) in Bohermeen you can be sure it will be inch perfect. I'm thinking of doing it myself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Woddle wrote: »
    If it's the same crowd that organise the 5km (I assume it is) in Bohermeen you can be sure it will be inch perfect. I'm thinking of doing it myself.

+1. Their 5k race this summer was very good.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

BeepBeep67 wrote: »

Yeah, it's either or for me. Kinvara seems to be a decent course so would be a good one to race. Anyone know what the route for Bohermeen is likely to be like? No need to practice on the hills for Rotterdam, so a nice flat half is enough of a test for me! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭PaulieYifter

Right - I'm in - Managed to convince Mrs. Yifter that Rotterdam is better than Barcelona.

Entry, Flights and Hotel confirmed.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 zinzan1

I've just entered this race, no accomodation or flights booked yet. Any advice would be appreciated. Main question is whether to stay in Amsterdam or Rotterdam. It will be my first attempt at a marathon, but I'm travelling with my sister (2 marathons) and cousin (3 marathons).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Cheaper to fly to Ams, if you are there primarily for the race stay in Rtm. If you want to get some sightseeing in stay in Ams about 45mins by train. The race starts late 11, so you can collect your race pack on the morning between 8 and 10:30.

• Advertisement

zinzan1 wrote: »
    I've just entered this race, no accomodation or flights booked yet. Any advice would be appreciated. Main question is whether to stay in Amsterdam or Rotterdam. It will be my first attempt at a marathon, but I'm travelling with my sister (2 marathons) and cousin (3 marathons).

On my e-mail confirmation there is a line:
    Important: the start is at 10.30 hrs!
    I'm sure this will be confirmed/denied in due course.

I'd recommend collecting your race pack on Saturday and staying in Rotterdam Saturday night. You'll be stressing enough about the start of the race without adding to it queuing to get your number on the morning of the race.

http://www.abnamromarathonrotterdam.com/home/3600_Mosop,-Kitwara-and-Kirui-go-for-the-world-record

Renato Canova has stated that he believes the world record will go this Spring and not in London. Mosop with a 2:03:06 in Boston might be the man to do it.

Confirmed start time is now 10:30 am to make it more conducive to record breaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 zinzan1

Does anyone know anything about showers/changing after the marathon. We're planning to stay in Rotterdam on Saturday night but we'd prefer to stay in Amsterdam on Sunday night so we're looking for somewhere to have a shower after the race. I don't expect our Sat night hotel would let us back in for a shower! I'm trying to find out if there's a sports center anywhere nearby where we could go for a shower/swim. If anyone has any ideas, let me know. Thanks in advance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

Does anyone know anything about showers/changing after the marathon. We're planning to stay in Rotterdam on Saturday night but we'd prefer to stay in Amsterdam on Sunday night so we're looking for somewhere to have a shower after the race. I don't expect our Sat night hotel would let us back in for a shower! I'm trying to find out if there's a sports center anywhere nearby where we could go for a shower/swim. If anyone has any ideas, let me know. Thanks in advance.

I remember the last time I was there (2010), some of the lads had a shower put on by the race just after the finish. I didn't bother, I had a hotel close. Don't know where I heard this but I heard it gets too busy there. Why not pay a little extra for a late checkout. Can't be more than €30 ?, then all of your friends can take turns.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭dowlinj

I'm doing the same thing and intend to ask for a late check-out.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭topday

Rotterdam back on the books for me. Flights, Hotel, Reg all sorted.
    Going to head over on Friday and make the most of the trip and stay till Tuesday...

Got confirmation docs in the post this morning.
    1st physio beating of the plan due this afternoon.

Hope everybody's training is going well.

topday wrote: »
    Rotterdam back on the books for me. Flights, Hotel, Reg all sorted.
    Going to head over on Friday and make the most of the trip and stay till Tuesday...

Back on the books for me too. The day after signing up I was diagnosed with an overactive thyroid (sounds serious but its not) that had my training in a jock for a couple of months. The jelly legs are gone now and I feel normal again so I'm gonna get around as best I can.

Likewise, I got the documentation. I'm in pen C.Training going well but I only started 4/5 weeks ago from no base. Got an easy 16m in last weekend and going to build from there. I'm really looking forward to it now.

How about yourselves? are yee getting the long runs in? I'm going to start the LSR's with MP miles from here until April. Must start 1-2 mile intervals too.

Back on the books for me too. The day after signing up I was diagnosed with an overactive thyroid (sounds serious but its not) that had my training in a jock for a couple of months. The jelly legs are gone now and I feel normal again so I'm gonna get around as best I can.

Likewise, I got the documentation. I'm in pen C.Training going well but I only started 4/5 weeks ago from no base. Got an easy 16m in last weekend and going to build from there. I'm really looking forward to it now.

How about yourselves? are yee getting the long runs in? I'm going to start the LSR's with MP miles from here until April. Must start 1-2 mile intervals too.

Well done and fair play on the comeback! Got documentation also. A good reminder that theres enough time to get plenty done, but that its not too far away to lose concentartion.

Long run tonight...first of a good few i hope!

Theres going to be loads of Irish at this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭dowlinj

Yeah, confirmation in the post today too...myself and the missus are in pen D. According to the website's map, there's 84 Irish signed up. Good showing by the Boys & Girls in Green :D

• Advertisement

Training going ok for me so far but the closer we get the more manic I'll become - half way through my P&D schedule with a 20 miler already done.
    Took a fair hammering at the physio session today though - dry needling may have been easier!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

Training going ok for me so far but the closer we get the more manic I'll become - half way through my P&D schedule with a 20 miler already done.
    Took a fair hammering at the physio session today though - dry needling may have been easier!

Glad to see your training is going well.

how is junior doing? He must be four months now and hopefully letting you all get some sleep. What does his big sister make of him?
    Is Mrs P going to Rotterdam with you or are you gettng a pass for the weekend?

Marthastew wrote: »
    Glad to see your training is going well.

how is junior doing? He must be four months now and hopefully letting you all get some sleep. What does his big sister make of him?
    Is Mrs P going to Rotterdam with you or are you gettng a pass for the weekend?

Thanks. Almost 4 months alright and big sis looking after him well. All 4 of us heading for the weekend. However I've been told that if we have another baby then marathons are banned for the 1st 6 months!

I see you've signed up for the ultra in Connemara - hope all is going well and looking forward to hearing about it - on my bucket list for the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

Thanks. Almost 4 months alright and big sis looking after him well. All 4 of us heading for the weekend. However I've been told that if we have another baby then marathons are banned for the 1st 6 months!

I see you've signed up for the ultra in Connemara - hope all is going well and looking forward to hearing about it - on my bucket list for the future.

Best of luck with the rest of the training. And don't forget to get Junior's passport sorted out!

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭topday

Hey misty floyd, great to hear it's back on the books for you too..I am sure you are delighted! I am really looking forward to Rotterdam. I'm in pen D. Training is going okay but the way I feel training over the winter months I am not sure if I will beat my Dublin time... I am 5 weeks in and starting to feel good and getting back on track but I have an injury hanging around.

Long runs - I got 17 miles in last Sat and another 17.5 miles in today. I was only heading out to do 13mile but got lost so next week my longest run will be 13miles and the following week 19/20miles.

Joined a club last week which is great because I am doing some speed work and running with some great runners which I am sure will really help!!

How is the training going for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Lex Luther

Hey Misty great stuff. Hopefully we can hook up for a long one some Sunday soon. Just be careful not to push too ggressively , too soon, in case you knock yourself back..
    LL

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭kandikane

Done a stupid thing after been on the beer the night before done a tempo session and pulled a muscle off training now for a week i recon nightmare((

kandikane wrote: »
    Done a stupid thing after been on the beer the night before done a tempo session and pulled a muscle off training now for a week i recon nightmare((

If its any consolation I'm sitting here with ice on my knee and have been grimacing with pain for the past 48 hours - not sure if it's my pes anserine tendon acting up again or something more sinister - may head for an MRI but deffo at least a week off running - to be discussed with my physio. Can't seem to get the words Stress Fracture out of my mind.

Missing a few days now is not the end of the world I suppose so rest hard and come back stronger.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,753 ✭✭✭corny

I've had to admit defeat and abandon plans for the marathon. Injured knee was just getting worse even with limited training. Desperately disappointed but in a strange way its a weight off not worrying about missing runs or running low mileage.

Anyway i'm all booked up so does anybody know if they'll exchange my marathon entry for a 10k entry?

• Advertisement

topday wrote: »
    Hey misty floyd, great to hear it's back on the books for you too..I am sure you are delighted!
    Long runs - I got 17 miles in last Sat and another 17.5 miles in today. I was only heading out to do 13mile but got lost so next week my longest run will be 13miles and the following week 19/20miles.

Joined a club last week which is great because I am doing some speed work and running with some great runners which I am sure will really help!!

How is the training going for you?

Training going great and thanks. Watch that injury. Great you joined a club. What kind of sessions are you doing with them? I'm going to ease off on the shorter stuff (400's) and start doing longer intervals (1m - 2m).
    Lex Luther wrote: »
    Hey Misty great stuff. Hopefully we can hook up for a long one some Sunday soon. Just be careful not to push too ggressively , too soon, in case you knock yourself back..
    LL

Cheers Lex. Fine line between improving and doing too much but so far so good. I am running with lots of niggles but you know yourself, going from zero to marathon training isn't a great idea. I did get 60 miles in last week. How are you getting on?

Would defo meet up for a long run over the next few weeks. Up to the big 20 this weekend. I'm tagging on MP miles which worked really well in the past for me.
    Missing a few days now is not the end of the world I suppose so rest hard and come back stronger.

Exactly!

Advertisement