Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nature programmes on the TV

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭santasbird

I have to agree with you there. I recorded it to view later on Friday night. Switched it off half hour into it because I began to drift off. Didnt hold my attention like it used to. It seems to be lacking the true nature feel to the programme. All a bit too jokey.(if you know what I mean)

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭swifts need our help!

Did you hear the disco / techno birds on the one show?

A music producer realised that blackbirds, song thrushes and great tits sing to 127bpm

Cool or what?

Mark

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

rte 2 now. 19.30 mon 28 nov. programme about peregrine falcon. its over now, only a five minute short.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭swifts need our help!

What's the programme called? It's not on next week so we have to catch up on the web site

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

It was just a slot-filling short. Looked like it was filmed in the 80's.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

What's the programme called? It's not on next week so we have to catch up on the web site

didnt catch the name but it was only on for 5 mins between the simpsons and How to Look Good Naked. just some stuff of falcons hunting on the south coast of England and then also in New York. some nice shots of them on office balconies in New York but other than that wasn't great.The only thing on the menu in both locations were pigeons.

New 3-part series starting on Sunday - Great Barrier Reef with Monty Halls.

8pm on BBC2.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b019851n

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭foxshooter243

You guys might want to catch this...starts tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Bsal

The first episode of Eartflight tonight was incredible, some really spectacular views. Something to watch on Thursdays now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,645 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Bsal wrote: »
    The first episode of Eartflight tonight was incredible, some really spectacular views. Something to watch on Thursdays now.

I've recorded it so looking forward to seeing it over the weekend hopefully:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Eyeore

I missed it, set it to record for the rest of the series though. Anybody know if there will be a repeat that I can catch the first one?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

Brilliant programme thank's Foxshooter, i'd have missed it only for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭foxshooter243

marlin vs wrote: »
    Brilliant programme thank's Foxshooter, i'd have missed it only for you.

no bother marlin, was really good, loved how the goose escaped the eagle at the end, I thought his goose was cooked:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

I saw this last night, really enjoyed it too. great footage... what about the flying rays :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

is it not cruel having a camera strapped to a birds back?? surely it must cause discomfort and drag as its flying??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

fryup wrote: »
    is it not cruel having a camera strapped to a birds back?? surely it must cause discomfort and drag as its flying??
    Ohh holy god.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Traonach

marlin vs wrote: »
    Ohh holy god.:rolleyes:
    A valid question by Fryup. The welfare of the bird would be paramount I would say.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭F.R.

fryup wrote: »

Ordinarily attaching any tag or monitoring equipment to a wild animal requires that it does not effect the animals behaviour, the behaviour of other members of its own species towards it or make it more open to predation.

For the making of Earthflight they used trained birds which meant that they did not have to worry about those restrictions.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b018xsc1
    To create its bird’s-eye view of the world Earthflight uses a host of extraordinary filming techniques including filming “imprinted” flocks from microlites, wild flocks filmed from model gliders and silent drones, full-sized helicopter with stabilised mounts and cameras on the backs of trained birds.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭bogtreader

A programme called natures weirdest events on BBC2 on Tuesday 3rd of jan
    & wednesday the 4th of jan at 8pm
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b019f6kv/broadcasts/upcoming
    Episode1 Chris Packham investigates various natural events such as a car
    cocoon by caterpillars and exploding toads in germany
    Episode 2 has a part on the mysterious death of sea birds on America east coast
    The mysterious deaths of birds was a subject of numerous posts on here
    during last year.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056141209

There was a good episode of Natural World on RTE2 last night.

Mainly featuring a family of White-tailed Eagles and Black-throated Divers in Scotland. Some great footage of the eagles in particular.

Should be on the Player for those with good enough broadband!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭Durnish

Earthflight was wonderful. Looking forward to seeing the next one, about Africa, I think. The Monty Halls prog about the barrier reef was so boring, it sounded like an old schools programme.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

bogtreader wrote: »
    A programme called natures weirdest events on BBC2 on Tuesday 3rd of jan
    & wednesday the 4th of jan at 8pm

excellent programme, did you see the mouse plague in australia:eek: good holy god

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Bsal

Yeah that mouse plague was a bit mad, and the Locusts. Don't think I'll be going to Oz anytime soon. Can't wait for Earthflght later too.

I must say I'm not gone on Earthflight. There are some good shots but it's very poorly put together.

The same shots used over and over again, and others that clearly aren't from the same scene thrown together to suit their narration.

Not sure if I've seen this series, but repeated tonight on TG4.

AINMHITHE NA HÉIREANN

Éamon de Buitlear - Ainmhithe na hÉireann (Animals of Ireland)

TG4 - Starting Monday January 10th 8PM

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭trebor28

Inside Natures giants was on tonight.

they were dissecting a baboon, only got the last 15 mins.

didnt see the programmes advertised anywhere beforehand for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Butterface

Watching this at the moment. Some really fantastic shots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

trebor28 wrote: »
    Inside Natures giants was on tonight.

they were dissecting a baboon, only got the last 15 mins.

didnt see the programmes advertised anywhere beforehand for some reason.

4OD can be watched from Irish computers.

river monsters on utv on tuesday nights @7.30 is worth a look

• Advertisement

river monsters on utv tuesday nights @7.30 is worth a look

Advertisement