Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Falling birds?

Options
  • 07-01-2011 12:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭

so what do people think of the recent finding of all the dead birds and fish out in Arkansas??

i dont buy the thing that 3,000 of one variety of bird took flight at night and crashed into something and died.

why wasnt any other species found dead then?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

2 unrelated incidences which happened over 100 miles apart.

The fish seem, at this stage, to have fallen foul of an illness as no other species of fish was killed.

The Red Winged Blackbirds seem to have died from crashing into buildings, cars, trees and even each other. There was no poison or disease found in any. They probably paniced when a large volly of fireworks went off nearby to celebrtae the New Year. This species is one of the most populous in the USA with over 200 Million birds. They gather in immense flocks to roost and fly in close flocks. There was a very large regular roost in trees beside the town. It's not hard to see how large explosions at midnight, in mid winter, would cause mass panic among the flock. All deaths seem to have been as a result of blunt force trauma and not from contact with the ground, so collision in the most likely cause. The number of dead birds involved seems to be closer to 1500 than the 5000 originally reported. (Many thanks to my brother-in-law in Arkansas for the updates)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭trebor28

more signs of the apocalypse.......

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-12139452

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Feargal as Luimneach

trebor28 wrote: »
    more signs of the apocalypse.......

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-12139452
    Turtle doves are migratory and are not present in Europe during the winter, so it was probably some other bird. The top bird in the link is a collarded dove so maybe it was that species. The most likely cause I'd say is either poisoning or shooting. Italian hunters like to shoot anything that flies:mad:

Turtle doves are migratory and are not present in Europe during the winter, so it was probably some other bird. The top bird in the link is a collarded dove so maybe it was that species. The most likely cause I'd say is either poisoning or shooting. Italian hunters like to shoot anything that flies:mad:

surely they wouldnt have killed them in those numbers in that space of time??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,226 ✭✭✭emo72

2 unrelated incidences which happened over 100 miles apart.

The fish seem, at this stage, to have fallen foul of an illness as no other species of fish was killed.

The Red Winged Blackbirds seem to have died from crashing into buildings, cars, trees and even each other. There was no poison or disease found in any. They probably paniced when a large volly of fireworks went off nearby to celebrtae the New Year. This species is one of the most populous in the USA with over 200 Million birds. They gather in immense flocks to roost and fly in close flocks. There was a very large regular roost in trees beside the town. It's not hard to see how large explosions at midnight, in mid winter, would cause mass panic among the flock. All deaths seem to have been as a result of blunt force trauma and not from contact with the ground, so collision in the most likely cause. The number of dead birds involved seems to be closer to 1500 than the 5000 originally reported. (Many thanks to my brother-in-law in Arkansas for the updates)

the only thing that doesnt add up there is.......if they all died from bashing into something, then shouldnt they be lying at the side of a building or something?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Rainbowsend

Very strange occurance of the birds falling out of the sky by their hundreds it seems, and also hundreds of fish dying too, no sign of poisoning but would the powers that be let on?

Some of the reasons were just mad....fireworks :eek: cmon?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Related posts moved from the News thread to this one.

@Rainbowsend.... sorry I thought they would add on after your post, not before. I don't think I can change that!

There are also threads on this topic on the weather forum and the conspiracy theories forum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭googsy

There are large fish kills most years in some part of the world... eg low temperatures / red tides... I read at least one story each year about a large school of whales beached somewhere.... are all these not normal natural annual occurrences ?

Same with large bird deaths.... been happening for years, some are explained through extreme weather conditions / human activity but tbh I don't think it's an end of the world event lol...

fecking Mayan's and their conspiracys :D I heard twitter and other social network sites have a lot to do with this s**te ! eg instant panic and people arriving at ridiculous conclusions not based on any sorta rational reasoning !

Very strange occurance of the birds falling out of the sky by their hundreds it seems, and also hundreds of fish dying too, no sign of poisoning but would the powers that be let on?

Some of the reasons were just mad....fireworks :eek: cmon?

exactly!

every new years for the last how many there has been fireworks in every city etc.

why suddenly this year did they die from it?

@googsey.
    in relation to whales, is that not where the pod follows the elder leader who is sick into the shallows and end getting beached?

• Advertisement

littlebug wrote: »
    Related posts moved from the News thread to this one.

@Rainbowsend.... sorry I thought they would add on after your post, not before. I don't think I can change that!

There are also threads on this topic on the weather forum and the conspiracy theories forum

No problem, I was wondering why no body commented on this earlier, but I was only looking in this part of the forum :)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

I would be nearly sure its a event related to the altering of magnetic lines whic could affect their navigation ability.

They were not migrating at the time so navigation or magnetic lines have as much to do with it as alien attack. :)

The fireworks were set off right beside an enormous roost. This is the first year this has happened as they roost elsewhere normally.

As for not striking buildings: some did. Others show evidence of mid-air impact with other birds.

emo72 wrote: »
    the only thing that doesnt add up there is.......if they all died from bashing into something, then shouldnt they be lying at the side of a building or something?

If you read the post you quoted you'll see there are more things than buildings to crash into. :rolleyes:

They were not migrating at the time so navigation or magnetic lines have as much to do with it as alien attack. :)

The fireworks were set off right beside an enormous roost. This is the first year this has happened as they roost elsewhere normally.

As for not striking buildings: some did. Others show evidence of mid-air impact with other birds.

But were there not more than one occurance of this happening? and surely the odds of fireworks being the cause on both occasions are unlikely, and what about the fish???

But were there not more than one occurance of this happening? and surely the odds of fireworks being the cause on both occasions are unlikely, and what about the fish???

The bird incident in question was only in Beebe Arkansas. The fish kill (at the risk of repeating myself) was hundreds of miles away. It's like linking an event in Cavan with one in Cork. On top of this, the Fish deaths now seem to be disease related.

I thought there were three incidents, Louisianna, Sweden and Arkansas?

I thought there were three incidents, Louisianna, Sweden and Arkansas?

The Louisianna event was the death of about 500 birds due to a particularly cold snap.

The Louisianna event was the death of about 500 birds due to a particularly cold snap.

Yeh but no but .........why would it only affect one species ie Red wing blackbirds?? surely if it was just the cold more than one species would have been affected, and what is the explanation for the 500 Jackdaws in Sweden?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Wild_Dogger

wheres " run to da hills "these days ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,639 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Advertisement