Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nature programmes on the TV

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

I have finally got an internet connection that enables me to watch via RTE player.
    A repeat of series one at moment
    4 episodes available at moment to view though tomorrow is last day for episode one.

I'll watch it with kids. About Foxes, Lampreys and Corncrake.

Lampreys amazing moving the rocks!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

Just caught some of this on RTE, home based wildlife mini-series.

http://www.rte.ie/tv/wildjourneys/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

On now... rte2.

Geese on Inis Gé

We're repeating ourselves.
    Thread merged with original thread from the first showing of the series back in March.

RTÉ One: Series 4 begins 8th March Tuesday 7.00pm

Emmy-Award winning wildlife cameraman Colin Stafford-Johnson is back with a fourth series of RTÉ's very popular nature programme Living the Wildlife.

In this series, Colin travels all over Ireland filming a fascinating variety of wildlife including nesting kingfishers on the Dodder in Dublin, drumming woodpeckers in Wicklow, vampire eels in Limerick and one of the rarest birds in Ireland, the Grey Partridge which is making a comeback in a re-claimed bog in Offaly.

Living The Wildlife promises to be a visual feast and of course educational and entertaining.

"The aim of our new series has been to find positive stories and show all the good inspiring things that are happening around us and to meet some of the wild and wonderful characters who dedicate their lives to the natural world. A great time was had by all with the Grey Partridge Conservation Project in Offaly. Kieran Buckley and Paddy Kelly have managed to rescue the Grey Partridge from extinction. From under 20 pairs left breeding in the wild in 2002 this year they had over 90 pairs and over nine hundred chicks. It's without doubt one of the most effective and successful conservation project of it's kind that I have come across anywhere in the world."
    - Colin Stafford-Johnson, Presenter

Colin has a busy and exciting 2011 planned. He has been commissioned by RTE to spend four seasons on the Shannon. The resulting films will be broadcast next year. Colin will also be launching his own Radio One show 'Nature On One' in the next few months.

http://www.rte.ie/tv/livingthewildlife/index.html

• Advertisement

7pm tonight on RTE 1, Great Spotted Woodpecker.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Browning

Tonight's programme showcases the Grey Partridge project in Boora and is well worth a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭trebor28

eater special on BBC2 at 8

anybody watch this?

its on channel 4 usually on wednesday nights.
    they do a dissection of the animal in question and show animations of how it works in the real animal.
    the also have Richard Dawkins talking about the evolution of the animal, and talk to other experts.

tonights episode was a thorough bred horse. it was quite interesting, i havent seen them all but of the ones i have seen the Giraffe is probably my favourite. the engineering involved to make it the animal it is, is nothing short of astonishing.

one of the episodes was done about the fin whale that washed up on a beach down in cork.

i would recommend a watch if you have any spare time.

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/inside-natures-giants/4od

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭F.R.

I watch it when I can. Have to say my favourite of those I've seen was the Fin whale that washed up on the West coast, the shear size of it when the vets were standing beside it.

• Advertisement

F.R. wrote: »
    I watch it when I can. Have to say my favourite of those I've seen was the Fin whale that washed up on the West coast, the shear size of it when the vets were standing beside it.

yeah the fin whale was pretty good, they did a sperm whale recently as well which washed up in england. its a pity they cant get more time with the whales because of the tides, its would seem there is so much more to show.

if you havent seen it i would recommend the giraffe.
    because its such an extreme animal, parts of its body have to be at extreme lengths to cope.
    very interesting and cant recommend it enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

The giraffe is astonishing!

I enjoyed the thoroughbred episode.

Didn't see any ads for it, but the listings say Autumnwatch is on tonight at 9pm on BBC2.

Every Friday for 8 weeks according to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,432 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Noticed this too. Odd that they didn't announce it beforehand, usually there's weeks of ads leading up to it. Also note that "jolly hockey sticks" Kate Humble appears to have been replace by Michaela Strachan.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,492 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

maybe bbc NI weren't too pushed in advertising it? it *is* odd that there were no announcements.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

oh great :) I don't mind kate, dunno who that Michaela one is, but thank jebus it's not the irish one replacing her, can't stand her! though i probably won't get to watch it anyway, stupid housemate :mad:

Michaela Strachan was a presenter on "The Hitman and Her" with Pete Waterman in the late 80s. :D Anyone else remember? :o Thankfully she's gone on to greater things and has presented quite a few wildlife programmes. I must remember to watch this evening.

oh great :) I don't mind kate, dunno who that Michaela one is, but thank jebus it's not the irish one replacing her, can't stand her!
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michaela_Strachan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Alun wrote: »
    I wonder if she'll be wearing her kissogram outfit tonight? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,645 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

recedite wrote: »
    I wonder if she'll be wearing her kissogram outfit tonight? :D

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQhy7x_WMz1eryL9XrKQEGTwqhNUgSr-_xmKWgHcyHzwMH9wdjHimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcR4H-tlMqFn3NBM9_9JFYcHrF9ka4Bq9snXW_Nl4MPfwT47lrAZRg

I'm a big fan of her earlier work:D;)

• Advertisement

Never mind Michaela, what about that bat eating seagull :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭swifts need our help!

I remember her and Chris on The Really Wild Show when Chris had a white spikey cut.

I only knew about it while flicking through the listings on Sky.

What's happened to Kate :confused:

What's happened to Kate :confused:
    Apparently she's off somewhere filming something else, and she'll be back for Springwatch 2012.

what did people think of last nights episode??

thought it as a bit too "jokey" myself.

i know its always a big lighthearted, but i dont care about mr games indian slippers!

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭bogtreader

I didnt see that autumnwatch was on until about 7 o clock last night so gave the Ireland match a miss.I thought Michaela did a good job.I particularly like the home videos as Littlebug said the seagull picking the bats off one by one was very interesting.
    http://katehumble.com/

It's that night again :) I'm looking forward to the Osprey updates and the (inside) badger sett webcam.

and oh :D I'd forgotten.. last week when Michaela kept calling Hummingbird Hawk Moths "hummingbirds" I thought I was going to hyperventilate!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Pie Man

littlebug wrote: »
    and oh :D I'd forgotten.. last week when Michaela kept calling Hummingbird Hawk Moths "hummingbirds" I thought I was going to hyperventilate!:D

n63yvd.png

The Sparrowhawk in the hand looked tiny! And gorgeous of course!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Rainbowsend

Is it just me or has the programme gone a bit "samey" and "stale"? I am watching it but find my attention wandering.

Advertisement