Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nature programmes on the TV

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭swifts need our help!

Hen Harrier Persecution - tonight BBC1 7.30pm
    Inside Out: North East & Cumbria.

Chris Jackson asks if we need a super-mayor to speak up for the North.
    As Hen Harriers disappear from northern hills, might Scotland have found a way to stop persecution?

Sky channel 755

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01qzftc

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭swifts need our help!

sorry I gave a wrong channel number should have been 955

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Bsal

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

Bsal wrote: »

Beat that Winterwatch!

Don't forget, tonight @ 7 on RTE1.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

That guy had a really lovely cottage garden. Funny that he was the artist who designed the pine marten stamps, years ago. Those wooden sculptures he had on the desk were brilliant too.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Prowetod

Great episode. I had never seen a pine martin before.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Shocking the way she released them grey squirrels
    Trying to get rid of them
    Pine Martin footage was good

• Registered Users Posts: 9,645 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Trying to get rid of them

Yes - very odd, was she tagging them or something:confused:

PS: Anyone watching Wild Arabia ATM?? - some great footage of species like striped hyena's, Arabian wolves, leapards, oryx etc. species you rarely see on the tele.

She was studying them. Most people would like to see more reds, but we don't all share your hatred of the dreaded greys. IMO both types are here to stay, and a balance will be found.

• Advertisement

Another great episode of Wild Arabia tonight on BBC2, really enjoyed the series.

The poor Kestrel chicks on living the wild life last night was very sad, I wonder what happened to them, they think it might have been a fox. I would have loved to see if the little fella was going to survive.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Great Bear Stakeout all about Grizzlys in Alaska ...the 2nd episode is on tonight and its excellent

bbc1 @ 9.00

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

recedite wrote: »
    She was studying them. Most people would like to see more reds, but we don't all share your hatred of the dreaded greys. IMO both types are here to stay, and a balance will be found.
    I doubt a balance will be found, as the grays have a better ability to store fat for winter, and have a better chance of finding any food stores that it has hidden (the grays spatial memory is better). Also, I think the grays can eat acorns but the reds can't.

=-=

Also, has anyone saw "Birders The Central Park Effect"? Saw some of it recently, and thought it's nice to watch.

=-=

Finally, saw a bear documentary last night "Great Bear Stakeout" which follows the life of bears in Alska. And as they're not hunted up there, they don't fear humans, and thus go a lot closer to humans without getting aggressive.

The Telegraph did a review of last nights program.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,432 ✭✭✭✭Alun

the_syco wrote: »
    Finally, saw a bear documentary last night "Great Bear Stakeout" which follows the life of bears in Alska. And as they're not hunted up there, they don't fear humans, and thus go a lot closer to humans without getting aggressive.
    Watched the second episode last night ... so glad little Pushki survived :)

the_syco wrote: »
    grays can eat acorns but the reds can't.
    Reds do better where pine cones are the main food source, and are better at evading pine martens, so it will probably depend on the type of habitat available, as to which species predominates in an area.

16,000 years ago, Ireland was a land covered in ice, uninhabitable to both humans and animals. So how did Ireland go from being a frozen country to the green and pleasant land of today? In this new series, Derek Mooney pieces together the clues to uncover the Secrets Of The Irish Landscape...
    Secrets Of The Irish Landscape starts on Sunday, May 5th at 18:30 on RTÉ One

http://www.rte.ie/radio1/mooney/programmes/2013/0429/387453-monday-april-29th-2013/?clipid=1069335

.....followed by.....

A new 10-part series with Colin Stafford-Johnson, Nature on One starts on Sunday May 5th at 7pm on RTE Radio 1.

http://www.tcd.ie/tcbr/news/articles/2013/tcbr-rte.php

Looks like the Late Late Show is taking part in the RTE Goes Wild season tonight. The two-part Shannon series mentioned is to start on Sunday May 26th.

Also saw somewhere online that some members of Kildare Wildlife Unit will be on it.
    Tune into the Late Late Show tonight to see THE SECRET LIFE OF THE SHANNON presenter Colin Stafford-Johnson talking about the new series and the other programmes coming up in the RTÉ Goes Wild Season.
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=591372857554057&set=a.591372854220724.1073741829.586127991411877&type=1

Plus, RTE providing live coverage from Bioblitz on Friday May 24th @ 7pm with a highlights package on the Sunday.

http://bioblitz.biodiversityireland.ie/live-broadcast-of-irelands-bioblitz/

BBC2's Springwatch is back on Monday 27th of May. Looking forward to it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

whyulittle wrote: »

Plus, RTE providing live coverage from Bioblitz on Friday May 24th @ 7pm with a highlights package on the Sunday.

http://bioblitz.biodiversityireland.ie/live-broadcast-of-irelands-bioblitz/
    Yours truly (nerves permitting!!:eek:)will be part of the live broadcast. About a 2 minute segment...should be able to bluff my way through that :pac:

• Advertisement

A short clip from The Secret Life Of The Shannon which aires on Sunday at 6.30pm RTE ONE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIj5eAcdjB4

Bsal wrote: »
    The Secret Life Of The Shannon which aires on Sunday at 6.30pm RTE ONE
    Apparently the first Irish wildlife documentary filmed with a super high speed high definition camera, á la David Attenborough, it would be great to see it on RTE2 HD some time.

whyulittle wrote: »

RTE providing live coverage from Bioblitz on Friday May 24th @ 7pm with a highlights package on the Sunday.

RTE's answer to springwatch, but to be fair they did a very good job Well Done RTE....esp liked the tribute to Eamon de Butlair

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Mothman wrote: »
    Yours truly (nerves permitting!!:eek:)will be part of the live broadcast. About a 2 minute segment...should be able to bluff my way through that :pac:

Well done on your television debut MM :)
    fryup wrote: »
    RTE's answer to springwatch, but to be fair they did a very good job Well Done RTE....esp liked the tribute to Eamon de Butlair

agreed. Pity there's not more regular coverage through the weekend/ today.

don't forget folks..life on the shannon this evening @ 6.30 rte1 and following that the bioblitz results @ 7.30

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 146 ✭✭Prof Nincom Poop Ph.D

fryup wrote: »
    don't forget folks..life on the shannon this evening @ 6.30 rte1 and following that the bioblitz results @ 7.30
    was just looking for somewhere to post this, I liked it. Slow motion bits, with kingfisher/bats especially were very good.

And the poor corncrake calling for a mate and no mate around, terrible.

Hated the music though, it's something that should add to the program and you shouldn't really notice but I had to turn it down several times.

Well worth a watch anyway.

I enjoyed "Life on the Shannon", really well done.

Hated the music though, it's something that should add to the program and you shouldn't really notice but I had to turn it down several times.

That's funny because I noted how much I liked the music and actually said out loud at one stage how lovely one particular piece was... wondering who it was. Couldnt see the credits properly with the split screen.. will check on player later.

Good stuff on Bioblitz wrap up too. A nice evenings viewing :)

littlebug wrote: »
    I enjoyed "Life on the Shannon", really well done.

That's funny because I noted how much I liked the music and actually said out loud at one stage how lovely one particular piece was... wondering who it was.
    The bit with the foxes playing?

I suppose it's just not music I'd like, old irish/country, just not for me.

Other nature shows go with classical or just a rhythmy tune.

• Advertisement

The bit with the foxes playing?
    no, the song just after 40 minutes... just lovely.
    I suppose it's just not music I'd like, old irish/country, just not for me.
    There you go... tis for me :D and I thought it worked well.

Funny the credits just list Kíla and Rónan Ó Snódaigh who I wouldn't generally much like... go figure. That song isn't Kíla though (the fox bit is)... I'll have to trawl a bit more.

Advertisement