Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adult Braces Experience

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭LottieP25

No just aligning the gums at end of ortho treatment is pretty standard afaik, your laterals could be aligned . Not going as far as laser realignment or crown lengthening, just changing your brackets and moving the gum line.

I dunno if It can be done to everyone , I'm not an expert , but I'm getting mine done at the moment as part of my ortho , i notice the difference.

I dunno six months smiles is a very short time period to get everything perfect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭FairytaleGirl

Hi all!
    Have an assessment on 25th for eligibility RE adult braces on the NHS.

Just have a quick q, I'm scheduled to have a post crown done the day before the appointment, will this be ok? (at present my tooth is broke away up to the gumline - two back from incisior) should I go ahead and get this done? Just thinking I could probably use the gap if I do get approved for the braces, and the post crown is gonna cost around £150.

Otherwise, I hope I get approved and get to join this thread soon!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

And I'm done!

Will post up pics tomorrow |:D

I'm getting mine fitted tomorrow. Quite nervous about it. :(

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Best of luck Karsini, it's the best decision/money I have ever spent.

• Advertisement

Yeah it's hurting a bit alright. My gums feel quite raw, if I as much as touch a toothbrush off them it hurts. Apparently this is normal for the first few days, though.

My biggest fear, as I've said before, is having to clean and look after them. I always brushed my teeth regularly so that's not a problem. My problem is flossing. My teeth are badly overcrowded and I have trouble getting the floss in there. I can do it with some of my teeth but not others.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,118 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

LottieP25 wrote: »
    No just aligning the gums at end of ortho treatment is pretty standard afaik, your laterals could be aligned . Not going as far as laser realignment or crown lengthening, just changing your brackets and moving the gum line.

I dunno if It can be done to everyone , I'm not an expert , but I'm getting mine done at the moment as part of my ortho , i notice the difference.

I dunno six months smiles is a very short time period to get everything perfect.

I'll see what he says when I go back. Part of my problem is a short upper lip. I'm not sure what if any treatment there is for this.

Does anyone know of treatmtent?

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭applesock

Karsini wrote: »
    Yeah it's hurting a bit alright. My gums feel quite raw, if I as much as touch a toothbrush off them it hurts. Apparently this is normal for the first few days, though.

My biggest fear, as I've said before, is having to clean and look after them. I always brushed my teeth regularly so that's not a problem. My problem is flossing. My teeth are badly overcrowded and I have trouble getting the floss in there. I can do it with some of my teeth but not others.

I find that happens to me sometimes after i get mine tightened , that even a tooth brush will hurt,but you'll manage dont worry.
    As for the flossing and overcrowding, would you consider maybe getting a Waterpik flosser? I use floss on the teeth i can get at properly and then i use the waterpik on my whole mouth.

applesock wrote: »
    As for the flossing and overcrowding, would you consider maybe getting a Waterpik flosser? I use floss on the teeth i can get at properly and then i use the waterpik on my whole mouth.
    I never knew about this! Thanks. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Buyer12

Hi all I am new to this as well. Got my braces on today and whilst they are not sore it's very uncomfortable in my mouth :-( I know the soreness is to come so have read this full thread for encouragement and tips! How are yours feeling one Karsini?

• Advertisement

My gums have improved a lot but I'm finding it a bit painful to eat stuff, especially with my front teeth. I'm also a bit afraid of them, afraid of breaking them while eating, so that's affecting me too.

The whole experience has felt very strange; I can actually feel the teeth loosening up already.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

Big rumours I could be getting mine off next month!!!

Yea I have only swallowed soft food no ...chewing here yet!!! Me bite isn't meeting properly so she had to put "cement" onto tooth so I wouldnt bite my brace and it feels like a bad filling so I have chewed properly yet :-( I can't believe it's only day 2 for me time is crawling and 2years seems daunting....hoping I have made the right decision. On the positive side snacking in between my "meals" is not even worth it cause of cleaning etc so expecting to shed some pounds!
    The doctor that's great to be nearly finished congrats..

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Lovbnmoma

Hey Guys, Have my braces on a year now! That year went so so quick so dont worry about time dragging, it feels like that at the start and it takes a while to adjust to them in your mouth but after a while you wont be as conscious of them! I have ceramic on my top and metal on bottom, ortho isnt happy with the movement on my top teeth so Im getting the metal on top ones in July for three months and hopefully that will be it then! Im kinda dreading the metal ones though. I got elastics on them last weekend, have to wear them all the time bar when Im eating and I hate them, I think they are so ugly! Anyone else with the elastics? Whats the reason for them does anyone know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭jimmer123

http://www.archwired.com/Elastics1.htm explanation here on elastics.

I had elastics on for a good few months and didnt find them that annoying but I was alot more conscious opening my mouth when I had them in. They are ugly :p

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Lovbnmoma

Yeah they arent actually uncomfortable as such but definitely more conscious when opening my mouth! Thanks for the link!

I have metal topand bottom with a year, elastics with a while now, you don't notice mine though , well at least I don't think you do.

Really conscious about my front tooth at the moment, he moved it up to even the gum line so one central is about 2mm shorter than the other, it looks stupid.

Priced getting a temp filling added to the end of it but cheapest is about 110 euro, and I just can't justify paying that much for something that will be coming out when the braces come off anyways.

Getting fed up of them now I must say, can't wait to get them off!

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Ooonie

Well I'm officially one month into my braces. Some bad post-extraction complications meant that my orthodontist couldn't do my first tightening yesterday. He tried to tighten them up but had to stop I was in so much pain.

I had 4 teeth out 6 weeks ago and got dry socket in every single one so my poor mouth is in desperate shape at the minute. Healing is very slow.

The ortho just changed the wire for me yesterday but even today the pain is quite bad.

Please tell me that the tightenings aren't that bad. I've had rotten luck since I started down this path and am genuinely looking forward to things going back to normal.

Aww you poor thing, dry sockets are awful.

I don't even notice the thightenings if I'm honest, only time I ever had pain was when I got them on for the first time . Then again maybe I'm just very lucky

I need 4 teeth out as well 2top and 2 bottom so getting bottom out first on different days , my dentist won't do them on same day. I have never had a tooth pulled.....I am not even going to google dry sockets but do feel sorry for ya :-(. Can't help anyone with any questions as I am only 4days in!.
    I also am having screws in top gums to pull front line back he said that would be in about 4 months... Anyone had these in? I did ask if there was a nicer name for them! Implants seems to be the best going! I really need to stop thinking of all the stuff and take one day at a time cause I really freak and think I must be mad for starting this! Continued good luck to everyone :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 Ooonie

Buyer12 wrote: »
    I need 4 teeth out as well 2top and 2 bottom so getting bottom out first on different days , my dentist won't do them on same day. I have never had a tooth pulled.....I am not even going to google dry sockets but do feel sorry for ya :-(. Can't help anyone with any questions as I am only 4days in!.
    I also am having screws in top gums to pull front line back he said that would be in about 4 months... Anyone had these in? I did ask if there was a nicer name for them! Implants seems to be the best going! I really need to stop thinking of all the stuff and take one day at a time cause I really freak and think I must be mad for starting this! Continued good luck to everyone :-)

I think one day at a time is a good mentality to have, definitely! I sometimes find myself thinking about the length of time I have to wear them and it just feels daunting. So much better to forget about it and just plod along and take each day as it comes.

Dry socket is absolutely awful. I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. The best way I can describe it is that it feels like your entire face is melting off. I'm through the worst of it now thankfully but it's just slowed the healing down so much. It's taking twice as long!

My next appointment on Monday! I'm hoping to get an end date if him.... I've had mine on 2yrs 2months. The end has to be in sight. I read that power chains are put on towards the end of treatment I've them at the moment. Any one else have power chains?i have various other problems with my teeth /bite that could lead to a longer treatment.i day dream about being able to eat chewing gum again.

I still have chewing gum... Just very carefully. !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭jimmer123

applesock my experience with power chains is not from the end of treatment. I got mine on halfway through treatment and still have them on. Ive had my braces on for a year now and was given a provisional date of 18 months of treatment.

jimmer123 wrote: »
    applesock my experience with power chains is not from the end of treatment. I got mine on halfway through treatment and still have them on. Ive had my braces on for a year now and was given a provisional date of 18 months of treatment.

Thanks for the reply. I have read they put them on towards the end of treatment :o was just hopeful, ah sure not to worry. Had my appointment today, I'm looking at another couple months anyway. Ah well. Im abit fed up with braces today.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,419 ✭✭✭✭jokettle

6 months in to treatment today, and the ortho is pleasantly surprised at how quickly things are moving along. Hopefully the 15 month deadline might be met! That would mean getting them off at Christmas :)

Orthodontist also confirmed that I won't need any teeth extracted. I'm so relieved!

I've only had my braces on for a week and a half but I'm already noticing some differences. Before this, if I bit down fully I could only touch my back teeth on one side at a time, but now I'm able to touch both sides. I didn't think I'd notice something so quickly!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,118 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

I've not noticed much movement since my last appt. Still not happy with the prominance of the central incisors and overjet so I want to continue with the treatment.

We'll see what happens - appt is next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭dowhatyoulove

My last appointment I got an A* at brushing and was told that my bottom teeth are nearly done and my uppers are coming along quite well.. Here's hoping that means I will get them off before the 2 year mark!!

• Advertisement

My last appointment I got an A* at brushing and was told that my bottom teeth are nearly done and my uppers are coming along quite well.. Here's hoping that means I will get them off before the 2 year mark!!
    That's great to be nearly finished. Well done.
    I am just over a week in, had first of four teeth out on the, wasn't to bad actually cause I was dreading it as never had a tooth out! Another one to come out next week and then back to get my bottom brackets wired:D

Advertisement