Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adult Braces Experience

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭LottieP25

Yakuza wrote: »
    I'll have my top braces a year next week (the bottoms went in last September), there has been a massive amount of movement and re-alignment of my bite(most of which took place in the first six months). I have about another year to go, and will stick up a montage of before/during/after pics then.

Things I've noticed
    1) The auld gnashers get very tender for a few days after a tightening (esp when the ortho puts in a thicker wire), but nothing too bad.
    2) Giving my gumline a proper clean is nigh impossible with them on. I was in the dentist today for my second clean since getting the braces, there was a fair bit of calculus built up which was fairly sore to clean out, but it's done now :). In general, she was happy with their cleanliness (very little bleeding of the gums when she was cleaning) so I was pleased with that.
    3) I do smile more broadly now that I have a semi-decent smile. Hopefully this time next year I'll have more to smile about with the end of my treatment! I'll have a bonded retainer for life at the end of the course, but that means no night-time retainer for me.

What I find helps with cleaning the gum line on top of your regular brushing , is introducing a babies toothbrush. It's small it fits perfectably over the braces to get to the gum line. That what i do anyways

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Nearly there... Bottom should be coming off next month with the top after Easter. Can easily say it's the best money I've ever spent.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

6 months today, had a tightening yesterday, sore again now.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Ooonie

I got my braces on yesterday (ceramic top and bottom) & I'll be honest & say I'm finding it hard to adjust. I'm in a lot of pain & it just seems like I'll have them on forever at this stage.

I'm hoping it's just a matter of getting used to them & adjusting to the change then I'll see the light at the end of the tunnel. The constant feeling of pressure on my teeth is driving me insane!

I'm getting 4 teeth out next week under sedation & looking forward to getting that fond & over with. At least after that I'll have 4 weeks to get used to things before my ortho goes at them again!

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭pillphil

Ooonie wrote: »
    I got my braces on yesterday (ceramic top and bottom) & I'll be honest & say I'm finding it hard to adjust. I'm in a lot of pain & it just seems like I'll have them on forever at this stage.

I'm hoping it's just a matter of getting used to them & adjusting to the change then I'll see the light at the end of the tunnel. The constant feeling of pressure on my teeth is driving me insane!

I'm getting 4 teeth out next week under sedation & looking forward to getting that fond & over with. At least after that I'll have 4 weeks to get used to things before my ortho goes at them again!

The pressure goes away after a day or two.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,168 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

I'm using Sensodyne Pro-namel mouthwash and it states that it can cause staining.

Could that be part of the reason why my front teeth have some stains on them or is it more likely due to poor care? I brush my teeth approx 4 times per day, try to floss 1 - 2 times per day and use the mouthwash t least twice per day.

I had a simialr issue previously with another brand of mouthwash which gave me bad staining. It was only when the hygenist asked why was it so bad that it came out that the mouth wash was the issue then. Corsodyl I think it was...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

I was at my dentist's (again) yesterday (part of my gum became inflamed after an...err...vigorous cleaning). She suggested I use Corsodyl gel (as opposed to the mouthwash) on the part of my gum that's sore as the active ingredient in Corsodyl (Chlorhexidine) can interact with toothpaste and can cause quite bad staining.

On a separate issue, generally (when in work or at home, not when out in a restaurant or friend's houses) I drink tea/coffee in a thermos mug with a straw - it reduces staining a fair bit as the liquid bypasses the front teeth. It does look odd (but at my age I really don't give a rat's ass about stuff like that). It's also handy while driving as you don't have to take your eyes off the road while drinking.

I'm using Sensodyne Pro-namel mouthwash and it states that it can cause staining.

Could that be part of the reason why my front teeth have some stains on them or is it more likely due to poor care? I brush my teeth approx 4 times per day, try to floss 1 - 2 times per day and use the mouthwash t least twice per day.

I had a simialr issue previously with another brand of mouthwash which gave me bad staining. It was only when the hygenist asked why was it so bad that it came out that the mouth wash was the issue then. Corsodyl I think it was...

There's a brand called ortho kin. Try that it's made specifically for ortho people. Should help reduce staining. I use it day to day and cleanings every 3 months and drink at the very least 8 cups a tea a day and have no staining

You can get it in almost every chemist expect boots never seen it there

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭applesock

i think il try the orthokin never heard of it. Im super paranoid about staining. Drink coffee and everything with a straw. Im afraid when the braces come of il be left with staines around the brackets :o

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭dowhatyoulove

Just got powerchains in and brackets. No notion if this means I am further along in the process. Glad though as the gaps where I got teeth taken out were very annoying! Had them in since April last year..

• Advertisement

Quick question, my braces do not extend back to the last teeth in the arch. Therefore there is a bit of a step outwards from the braced teeth to the last tooth. Is anything done to bring it into alignment? Although no one will see it, it looks odd and is slightly annoying me visually.

Also, I need to get my lateral incisors shaved as there is a gap between it and the central incisor. Now that I've the elastics in the it is rotating one of my central incisors transversely. Will shaving the lateral incisor resolve this and what does shaving the incisor involve? Is it a painful process?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭jimmer123

I don't have a bracket on my back molars either and there is a difference in position but I don't mind.

Cant answer your last question I'm afraid.

Feel like my teeth are nearly clicking today, must to moving. Looking really straight which makes the process worth it,would love to be getting them off , but from what i can gather from dentist need more time fix my bite. Ive had them over 2yrs now, i daydream about getting them off & then think will i look weird without them :D

Getting close to completion apparently. Still not 100% happy with upper arch, to me there is still too much prominence from central incisors - it is 4mm at the minute and othro says they aim for between 2mm to 4mm. Got two teeth shaved as well.

I might stick up a photo of the progress for independant advice when I get them cleaned next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Duberlin Chick

Ate mustard like an eejit and now power chain is luminous Yellow. Rookie
    Error

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭dublingirl83

Quick question, my braces do not extend back to the last teeth in the arch. Therefore there is a bit of a step outwards from the braced teeth to the last tooth. Is anything done to bring it into alignment? Although no one will see it, it looks odd and is slightly annoying me visually.

Also, I need to get my lateral incisors shaved as there is a gap between it and the central incisor. Now that I've the elastics in the it is rotating one of my central incisors transversely. Will shaving the lateral incisor resolve this and what does shaving the incisor involve? Is it a painful process?

Hi funkey_monkey

My braces didn't go as far as my back teeth either. It didn't cause me much problems initially apart from the visual aspect which people couldn't see.
    But as teeth moved move food then began to get caught there all the time.

I went back to my ortho who extended my braces all the way to my back teeth ( on bottom only)
    He said some people do need there braces on back teeth but not very common.
    If it causing you issues I would definitely ask for them to be extended. It made a huge difference to mine.

Should be getting mine off in May (fingers crossed)

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭dublingirl83

Just got powerchains in and brackets. No notion if this means I am further along in the process. Glad though as the gaps where I got teeth taken out were very annoying! Had them in since April last year..

Power chains are usually a sign things are moving on. I've had the chains on and off a couple of times. Think they are for helping little gaps in teeth close.
    They really do work but can make teeth a little harder to access to clean.
    Ps) try avoid curry sauce, stains chains something terrible :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23 archie84

I have had my braces on 8 months now and im 29. My braces do not go to my back teeth. He said if he did this there was alot of risk of creating a gap between my front teeth. This may be rhe reason for you guys also!!

I've had the powerchains on my teeth since the end of January. I didn't realise googled after seeing it mentioned on this forum. A lot reckon they are put on towards the end of treatment! 😄 I'm hoping this is true. What's everyone else's experience with them? Mine are not very noticeable at all.

Hi funkey_monkey

My braces didn't go as far as my back teeth either. It didn't cause me much problems initially apart from the visual aspect which people couldn't see.
    But as teeth moved move food then began to get caught there all the time.

I went back to my ortho who extended my braces all the way to my back teeth ( on bottom only)
    He said some people do need there braces on back teeth but not very common.
    If it causing you issues I would definitely ask for them to be extended. It made a huge difference to mine.

Should be getting mine off in May (fingers crossed)

There is no issues with food debris, just the visual step outwards as the arch goes backwards. However, the ortho did say that my bite was good as is and he didn't want to risk anything for this reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭dowhatyoulove

Power chains are usually a sign things are moving on. I've had the chains on and off a couple of times. Think they are for helping little gaps in teeth close.
    They really do work but can make teeth a little harder to access to clean.
    Ps) try avoid curry sauce, stains chains something terrible :)

I hope things are moving on! I only have two gaps on the top arch and one is nearly closed so the other side just has to get a move on. Teeth are very tender with them on, moreso than the start of treatment!

LOL about the curry stains, it wasn't until I ate a curry and brushed my teeth after that I seen the stains! Nearly gone though! Got different size intradental brushes and they seem to do the job. Flossing is mega difficult though!

Getting close to completion apparently. Still not 100% happy with upper arch, to me there is still too much prominence from central incisors - it is 4mm at the minute and othro says they aim for between 2mm to 4mm. Got two teeth shaved as well.

I might stick up a photo of the progress for independant advice when I get them cleaned next week.

For a short time only. I'm not 100% happy with where they are currently. The twist on the central incisor is very noticable in these photos. Plus I think the overjet is still too much. I would also prefer a broader arch - I think they are too narrow still. Am I being realistic in my expectations here? Braces have been in for just over 5 months.

My short upper lip is not helping matters either :(
    13069116355_f7bf099f20.jpg
    13069237643_228443d60d.jpg13069441924_ed0468032e.jpg

For reference this is what they were like prior:
    7694020852_0ed85461e2.jpg

7694022394_6351dccc8e.jpg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Mine are coming off Thursday week :D

Does anyone think there should be much improvement expected in my photos above? I was told only one more adjustment needed, but when I look at those images I'm very disappointed in the outcome so far - especially as a twist on the incisor has been introduced as well. :(

How do they feel at the back?

How do they feel at the back?

Not sure what you mean here? If you mean alignment between the upper and lower arches then it is okay.

When you slide your tongue along the back do they feel flush?

I'm getting started on Friday week (the 21st).

I'm getting the top brace fitted first because if I were to get the bottom one at the same time I'd be unable to bite fully. Also, I've a blocked tooth on the bottom that would need to be freed first. Treatment time was estimated to be 20-24 months. I'm looking forward to the end result but I'm terrified of having them on, especially having to keep them clean. :o

For a short time only. I'm not 100% happy with where they are currently. The twist on the central incisor is very noticable in these photos. Plus I think the overjet is still too much. I would also prefer a broader arch - I think they are too narrow still. Am I being realistic in my expectations here? Braces have been in for just over 5 months.

My short upper lip is not helping matters either :(
    13069116355_f7bf099f20.jpg
    13069237643_228443d60d.jpg13069441924_ed0468032e.jpg

For reference this is what they were like prior:
    7694020852_0ed85461e2.jpg

7694022394_6351dccc8e.jpg

Is he going to align the gums at all for you ?

• Advertisement

LottieP25 wrote: »
    Is he going to align the gums at all for you ?

Are you talking about laser gum re-shaping? I did mention this to my dentist when I realised that braces alone would not solve my problem smile.

She was concerned about reshaping causing excessive visible tooth length - so-called horse teeth.

In regards to the ortho do this - I'm not sure, I don't think so as it was not mentioned. I would have recollected if he had done this, as a gummy smile is a big issue for me.

I've read that apart from the risk of 'horse teeth', the gums can grow back or require veneers in order to stop their advance.

Advertisement