Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adult Braces Experience

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39 bowsandarrows

Where are you getting metal braces for £380???

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭pillphil

NHS. Confused me too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,168 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

LottieP25 wrote: »
    Treatment can take a little longer with ceramic braces. If you have crowns it can increase the risk of damage to the tetth.

Why are metal quicker than ceramic?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

I've them on nearly 14 months and my ortho had been saying possibly off by Christmas but was back today and he just wants it as close to perfect as possible so they'll be staying on until the new year :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,419 ✭✭✭✭jokettle

Hi all,

I'm getting my braces on next Tuesday. Ceramics top and bottom, so hopefully they'll be a bit less noticeable. Very excited/nervous now! I've been having a few doubts, but my smile has been bothering me for long enough that I think the investment will be worth it.

Thankfully I have Wednesday and Thursday off work, so I have some time to deal with any pain, not being able to chew, or whatever else might happen immediately afterwards. I'm going to stock up on soup, mashed potatoes and ice cream for next week just to be on the safe side :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭Mooby

Thanks for this thread - I have wanted to get braces all my adult life but have always been concerned about being too old! Just gonna go for it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭ENMcD

Just got my braces fitted today, only doing my tops as bottom is fine, there the clear 6 month! feels so weird and bit tender :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭Mooby

6 months will fly by! Best of luck

How often did you get your appliances adjusted? I've had mine in since Sept and still not had them adjusted yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭ENMcD

The braces i have will be adjusted every month I think as i am booked in for November? what type do you have?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 aine_b

I had my upper and lower brackets put on along with lower wire 10 days ago and today had top wire put on. My dentist then scheduled me in for a tightening in 4 weeks.

Top braces went on about 2 hours ago! Delighted with how discreet they are. The bottom ones will go on in 4 weeks.

0163D5C1-45B1-4440-8490-A1C5E5070DE0-9052-0000097D88CE61F4_zps9e4cb7df.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

jokettle wrote: »
    Top braces went on about 2 hours ago! Delighted with how discreet they are. The bottom ones will go on in 4 weeks.

0163D5C1-45B1-4440-8490-A1C5E5070DE0-9052-0000097D88CE61F4_zps9e4cb7df.jpg

Wow, straight already, good work....:D

Wow, straight already, good work....:D

You can't see the bottom ones in that pic ;) There's some slight overlapping on the top, and the front right one sticks out quite a bit but that's only really noticeable from the side view.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭kingQuez

A few years ago, when I was about 28, my dentist commented on my crooked teeth (upper arch has lots out of alignment, making it hard to keep clean) and suggested I look into having them straightened. The left and right side are asymmetric which I've always hated. They thought it might be doable as a 6month alignment, but told me to get a second opinion from an orthodontist (as the case was more severe than anything they'd worked on before).

The orthodontist said for an ideal result I needed 18months of full braces, wisdom teeth out, and jaw surgery to bring my lower arch forward. They said it would be easy to straighten the teeth, but with my current jaw-alignment it would leave me with a very obvious overbite if I didnt also adjust the jaw. For a less-invasive but non-ideal result they suggested using invisalign to straighten, but also angle, the upper teeth to avoid the massive gap between the arches that would result from applying regular braces.

The idea of having jaw surgery put me right off the orthodontists first recommendation (it seems pretty serious for me to do as an adult, when its not for something that affects my day to day wellbeing?), and after looking into invisalign (and quizzing the hygenist I use) I wasn't too keen on that approach (the hygenist seemed to think that I'd need to have quite a lot of tooth surface removal to allow for my teeth to be appropriately positioned).

It's always in the back of my mind that I could sort out a nicer smile, and make looking after my teeth easier, but neither option seems appealing. I'm curious if anyone's had similar recommendations, and how you got on if you went through with the treatment?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Canonfan

Hi all,

I need recommendations for a good orthodontist in Dublin, please.

Many thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭applesock

Hi

im going for my first scale and polish next week. I dont know what to expect, anyone had this done? do they take the wires off when doing it? Worried as bottom need implants so current crowns loose, feel like they will fall out if wire removed they are already cracked :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭LottieP25

applesock wrote: »
    Hi

im going for my first scale and polish next week. I dont know what to expect, anyone had this done? do they take the wires off when doing it? Worried as bottom need implants so current crowns loose, feel like they will fall out if wire removed they are already cracked :eek:

They won't remove the wire, they will work around it and will take extra care with your bottom teeth

Bottom braces went on today. Ceramics on the front 6, mental on the rest. I'm planning on eating a huge early dinner before the inevitable discomfort/pain kicks in!

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭paulers06

Plenty of wax and medijel at the ready and you'll be fine. When I had braces I suffered the whole way through with mouth ulcers, particularly in the week after adjustments. Medijel is a god send, much better than bonjela

• Advertisement

I've loads of wax at the ready. The top ones went on last month so I'm fairly well prepared.

Good to know about the medijel, though; I used bonjela a few weeks ago without realising my cheek was a little bit cut and it stung so badly!

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭dublingirl83

Braces on a year 19th Dec, time has flown by. Now been told they will be on for another 4-6 months:( hope it will fly as quick as last year... I'm dying to bite into an apple or have some chewing gum :)

Last week I had to get more brackets onto my back lower wisdom teeth, my braces only went back as far as my molars, now they are all not in line with each other.

My ortho said its unusual to get braces onto wisdom teeth, anyone else get this done?

Stronger wires on mine now 3 months in. I can see the change already. I'm just dying now for everything to complete and get them off. I wish I done this years ago :(

Still have a problem getting the teeth cleaned, especially as the gaps keep increasing and decreasing as the teeth shift.

Other than that, no issues so far apart from bleeding lips due to bracket.

What issues are you having with the cleanings?

I've my braces on nine months now, change is insane ! Started with the elastics two weeks ago and they're making an improvement too.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 aine_b

I have mine on 3 months now, il be honest and say my cleaning regime hasnt been the best as it takes so long! i dont eat sugary foods or drinks. I went for a cleaning with the hygienist last monday and she said my teeth were clean and in good shape and to start using the little mini christmas tree brush thingies around the brackets as sugar will stick around the bracket and can leave a mark if not cleaned. so now im worried that the damage may have already been done! she said they were clean so im hoping theyre fine! im strict on myself now and even though it takes about 30 mins every morning to do the whole regime im hoping they will be fine once taken off!

aine_b wrote: »
    I have mine on 3 months now, il be honest and say my cleaning regime hasnt been the best as it takes so long! i dont eat sugary foods or drinks. I went for a cleaning with the hygienist last monday and she said my teeth were clean and in good shape and to start using the little mini christmas tree brush thingies around the brackets as sugar will stick around the bracket and can leave a mark if not cleaned. so now im worried that the damage may have already been done! she said they were clean so im hoping theyre fine! im strict on myself now and even though it takes about 30 mins every morning to do the whole regime im hoping they will be fine once taken off!

Ya should be fine , itwasn't over a prolonged period of time . Would recommend getting them clean every 3 months anyways even if you do step up your cleaning at home, as it's still a lot of hardware to have in the mouth .

What's your night time routine like?

What issues are you having with the cleanings?

I've my braces on nine months now, change is insane ! Started with the elastics two weeks ago and they're making an improvement too.

Mainly directly behind the wire. There was a brown line like a shadow behind it. Now, I must say I brush teeth in morning, after lunch and last thing at night. I usually get a rinse of mouthwash in during the day too. So I was very disappointed that there was staining.

Now that teeth are drifting about I am now able to use a te-pe for the first time ever. Not sure if it is making a difference. We'll see in January when I go to the hygenist again. I notice that their are some unsightly dark marks which I don't seem to be able to do anything about - these are inbetween teeth that have drifted into a different position and I assume it is old plaque etc which needs to be removed.

I'm hoping that my next appt in early Jan (2nd adjustment) will see the focus switch from lining them vertically to correcting the arch. I've got no elastics on yet, but I notice I've got brackets with hooks to accept them.

Do the bands on the molars get added at a later date, or if you don't have them now do you not need them?

Mainly directly behind the wire. There was a brown line like a shadow behind it. Now, I must say I brush teeth in morning, after lunch and last thing at night. I usually get a rinse of mouthwash in during the day too. So I was very disappointed that there was staining.

Now that teeth are drifting about I am now able to use a te-pe for the first time ever. Not sure if it is making a difference. We'll see in January when I go to the hygenist again. I notice that their are some unsightly dark marks which I don't seem to be able to do anything about - these are inbetween teeth that have drifted into a different position and I assume it is old plaque etc which needs to be removed.

I'm hoping that my next appt in early Jan (2nd adjustment) will see the focus switch from lining them vertically to correcting the arch. I've got no elastics on yet, but I notice I've got brackets with hooks to accept them.

Do the bands on the molars get added at a later date, or if you don't have them now do you not need them?

Do you drink a lot of tea or coffee? What mouthwash are you using, these can be contributing to the staining .

No they can be added at a later date. I got mine 7 months in .

Do you drink a lot of tea or coffee? What mouthwash are you using, these can be contributing to the staining .

No they can be added at a later date. I got mine 7 months in .

I'd drink a couple of coffees per day and two teas.

I was using Colgate Fluoriguard and have recently switched onto Sensodyne (after staining was noticed).

I am hoping I get the brackets and elastics on this next time. Progress is flying along. Just the staining is causing an issue :(.

• Advertisement

I'd drink a couple of coffees per day and two teas.

I was using Colgate Fluoriguard and have recently switched onto Sensodyne (after staining was noticed).

I am hoping I get the brackets and elastics on this next time. Progress is flying along. Just the staining is causing an issue :(.

That's a lot if caffeine , and Is defiantly contributing to your staining. Maybe try cutting down and see if you notice a difference

Advertisement