Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adult Braces Experience

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭applesock

have my braces two years now in january. Recently got elastics on one side. I can really feel the pressure/pain, but not quiet pain if that makes sense,at times. Ive been googling and alot of people say they got the elastics towards the end of their treatment. Whats peoples experience with elastics? Ive forgotten some night to put on :o hopefully won't effect treatment time to much. Although it was initially 18months - 2yrs so will be going over that abit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭jimmer123

I was shown a picture of my teeth before I started treatment today it was disgusting.

Braces will be on a year in February, time flies :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,168 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Back tomorrow for another adjustment. Hoping to get the elastics on as that'll mean I should be on the home straight (I think).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

Hello, just came across this thread.

Same boat as most here I assume, was not happy with my teeth and never got anything done to fix them. Went through school and college and now out working.

At 24 I decided it was time to get something done.

Have had clear braces on for 5 months now and delighted I got it done. The difference in that space of time between how they did look to how they look now is great.

Shame I didnt get it done sooner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭jimmer123

Smile.JPG

• Advertisement

Really hate looking at my before picture, awful stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 8,168 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Well, got the elastics on yesterday. I can feel the constant pressure and eating has now become tender again.

I think I'll have about 4 months to go according to the Ortho as it is all going really well.

Only problem to date is on my upper arch. My lateral incisors to either side of the central incisors are triangulated which means there is a gap at the gum between it and the central incisor. He intends to shave a bit off the side of both lateral incisors in order to get them closer and close the gap. However, as I get oldr and the gums recede then this gap will become more apparent again :(

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭LottieP25

It's not a written rule that your gums will receede as you get older, regular dental maintenance and a good Oral hygiene routine should stop that.

If your gums do receed there is procedures that can be done to rectify that. Depending on bone loss etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Hide behind the post

13 years after getting my braces off as a teenager I am back with ceramic's for cc. 6 months.

Wisdom teeth have caused some movement and I have taken the plunge for 'cosmetic' reasons....Vanity :-)

Ceramic's are great...machined so angles eliminate light bouncing and therefore they are not that noticeable (think thats the reason).

On a very positive note I reckon braces has taken at least 5 years off me :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭OntheStrings

Great seeing all the success stories on here. I went for a consultation recently and was told it'd take 10 months and just a top brace. My problem is that I'm reluctant to go ahead with it because I have a very minor alignment issue. My teeth look straight but they're a bit out of alignment at the front.

So my question is, is it worth it for minor problems?:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 aine_b

So my question is, is it worth it for minor problems?:o

My answer would be, does it affect your self confidence? If it holds you back from smiling or when talking to people face to face or if you focus in on your teeth when looking at photos I'd say def go for it! If they don't bother you and they're not doing any damage I'd say hold it off, ask friends and family their opinion or stick a photo up on here for our opinion!

aine_b wrote: »
    My answer would be, does it affect your self confidence? If it holds you back from smiling or when talking to people face to face or if you focus in on your teeth when looking at photos I'd say def go for it! If they don't bother you and they're not doing any damage I'd say hold it off, ask friends and family their opinion or stick a photo up on here for our opinion!

Cheers for your reply! I guess it's always held me back from smiling confidently. Not many pics of me smiling because of it. They look fine from the front but from my side profile, they make me feel really insecure. I will more than likely go ahead with the procedure. I just keep worrying I'll regret it somehow, but maybe in the long run it'll be the best money I ever spent.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Hide behind the post

Cheers for your reply! I guess it's always held me back from smiling confidently. Not many pics of me smiling because of it. They look fine from the front but from my side profile, they make me feel really insecure. I will more than likely go ahead with the procedure. I just keep worrying I'll regret it somehow, but maybe in the long run it'll be the best money I ever spent.

I second this....had braces when I was a teenager...loved the results into my late 20's...some slight misalignment due to wisdom teeth now.

Only I notice it really but it bothers me and every pic I see .... thats all I see!!

Doing this for me ... not anyone else

Go for it...look at it this way .... Christmas 2014 you can rock a new smile!!!

I second this....had braces when I was a teenager...loved the results into my late 20's...some slight misalignment due to wisdom teeth now.

Only I notice it really but it bothers me and every pic I see .... thats all I see!!

Doing this for me ... not anyone else

Go for it...look at it this way .... Christmas 2014 you can rock a new smile!!!

Thanks!:D great advice!! I suppose it's worth it in the long run!

Go team!

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭TJ Mackie

Hi people,

Figured this was the best place to ask. Asking on behalf of my girlfriend, who is looking for a dentist/orthodontist in South Dublin (preferably, or inner City) who you guys have good feedback for. She's thinking 6 month smile, but may go for full braces depending on her consultation.

Would appreciate any PM's as this will be an overdue Christmas present from me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭tooth_doc

Adult braces is now a predictable treatment provided certain parameters are met, many names now, six month smiles, cfast, quick straight teeth etc

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Ooonie

Well I'm getting my braces on on Monday (sort of). Because of my teeth the orthodontist has suggested putting on the brackets to help me get used to them, then removing 4 teeth and then 6 weeks later getting the wire placed on.

I have a fairly bad snaggletooth so he wants my lips to get used to having a bracket wedged up there.

I have the spacers on at the moment.

I'm a little nervous but more excited than anything else. I just want to get the next few weeks over with so the wire can go on and I can get the show started!

6 months next week since I started, how time flies, and what a difference in that time

• Registered Users Posts: 43 louisewalsh23

Guys, getting braces on on the 15th of Feb and can't wait to have the smile I've always dreamed of!

Big question: do I go damon brackets, or pay the extra and get the ceramic? I'm only being offered them on top front 6 and ortho says they will take 3/4 months longer. Does anyone know of this is accurate?

I'm really tempted to get ceramic but they stain badly with coffee and curry?

Would love to hear thoughts!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 louisewalsh23

Guys, getting braces on on the 15th of Feb and can't wait to have the smile I've always dreamed of!

Big question: do I go damon brackets, or pay the extra and get the ceramic? I'm only being offered them on top front 6 and ortho says they will take 3/4 months longer. Does anyone know of this is accurate?

I'm really tempted to get ceramic but they stain badly with coffee and curry?

Would love to hear thoughts!

This is what I mean by the 2 types! Also, the girls in my orthodontist surgery were selling the metal over the clear. Is there any reason for this? Were they being genuine or is there some advantage to them if I go for clear?

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭farmer_dave

I'm not 100% sure, but I think the metal works a bit quicker than the clear. It dpends on the price as to which you go for and whether you could cope with the metal ones visually.

Me, I went for the metal ones for financial reasons. I'm well used to the now after freaking out initially.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Lovbnmoma

Hey guys, I got the ceramic on top and metal on bottom. Have them on since March last year. I think the ceramic do take a bit longer and my ortho was saying he might need to put metal on my top for last 3 to 4 months as he wasnt happy with the length the ceramic were taking. He said for some people the ceramic dont work as well as metal. As for staining, mine are not too bad, I drink tea and coffee on regular basis and havent had bad staining. Id say if you smoked then they would definitely stain.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭ennis81

Had metal on bottom and ceramic on top, I had no staining from tea, coffee or smoking :D:) stay away from fizzy drinks though especially coke

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭LottieP25

Im getting mine off soon :) just got my wisdom teeth out as part of the treatment plan. so as soon as everything settles again , they're coming off :)

Cant wait!

Fantastic!! Getting my braces off was one of the happiest days of my life:D

Still got a few months left, then the retainers.......

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

I'll have my top braces a year next week (the bottoms went in last September), there has been a massive amount of movement and re-alignment of my bite(most of which took place in the first six months). I have about another year to go, and will stick up a montage of before/during/after pics then.

Things I've noticed
    1) The auld gnashers get very tender for a few days after a tightening (esp when the ortho puts in a thicker wire), but nothing too bad.
    2) Giving my gumline a proper clean is nigh impossible with them on. I was in the dentist today for my second clean since getting the braces, there was a fair bit of calculus built up which was fairly sore to clean out, but it's done now :). In general, she was happy with their cleanliness (very little bleeding of the gums when she was cleaning) so I was pleased with that.
    3) I do smile more broadly now that I have a semi-decent smile. Hopefully this time next year I'll have more to smile about with the end of my treatment! I'll have a bonded retainer for life at the end of the course, but that means no night-time retainer for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭dowhatyoulove

Am I the only person here who absolutely hates their braces? I have damon metal ones, have them on 10 months and tbh, I get wait to get them off. I feel horrible with them on, they are really affecting my self esteem!

My Orthodontist is great, and the next thing to go on is the brackets I think but I'm just so sick of having them already!

• Advertisement

I had day's when I just wanted to rip them off my teeth, I was told a year but it was 2 years and 2 month's for me so I was well sick of them at the end. Don't let it affect your self esteem, you are doing this to improve your smile, your dental health and your self esteem REMEMBER THAT!! Everyone seems to be getting them these days they are like a fashion accessory lol. Hang in there it will all be worth it;)

Advertisement