Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory Best injury - Collar Bone

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

ambid wrote: »
    On Vincent Browne just now they reviewed tomorrow's papers and I'd swear I saw a headline on the Irish Independent which said "Kidney names Best in the team".

I could be wrong, but...

Teams announced soon AFAIK, won't have to wait long to find out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

Yep its been tweeted by rte too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭ambid

durkadurka wrote: »
    Yep its been tweeted by rte too

http://twitter.com/#!/RTErugby

Woohoo! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,096 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

Best asking what time they will let it out that the injury was a hoax:pac:

BrianGreenRoryBest1_IrelandtrainRWCWellington.jpg

Seriously though, thats great news that he's fit enough to start.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,578 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

great stuff - we must have the hardest pack around - Cian H, POC, Seanie, Ferris - fear nothing -

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭mjp

All over twitter now. Apparently took part n training this morning which is some turnaround. Prob will need a late fitness test before the game. Wouldnt fancy being n middle of scrum there if shoulder wasnt A1. Think his recovery will bhuge psychological boost for the irish. Team being named in an hours time 1:15 irish time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭jd007

What a legend, fair play to him!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

Jesus - what relief. An immense boost going into the Wales game.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Absolutely terrific news if he's right. If he's not 100% I can't imagine they would have named him in the team as, if they had to withdraw him a few hours before the match, that could be a psychological boost to the Wales team. So I'm guessing he's right.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭csm

I'd say the fact the team announcement included Best/Cronin at 2 would indicate he still has a way to go. But if he's doing scrummaging & lineout practice as RTE claim then it's great news and a remarkable recovery.

To see him jogging out on Saturday would be magic. God I'm excited about this game!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

Can we update the title of the thread, collar bone fine'

Delighted for best, given his form goin into the last 8

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

Steady on folks. He has to pass a fitness test and that is far from a sure thing. Delighted he's even in consideration but I won't go getting my hopes up until I see him on the pitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

As was all over twitter, he's been named, but I don't think that's gonna mean too much, not yet anyway.

Here's the story from rte

http://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/worldcup/2011/1005/rwc_ireland__team_wales.html

For anyone who can't click or on a phone
    Rory Best has been named in Ireland team to face Wales in Saturday's RWC 2011 quarter-final clash with Wales, while Ronan O'Gara and Conor Murray are to continue in the half-back positions.

The hooker was forced off by a shoulder injury after 50-minutes during Ireland's 36-6 Pool C victory over Italy last Sunday. He has been picked on a 'wait and see' basis. The AC joint shoulder injury has responded well to treatement and Best has done some scrummaging and lineout practice this week, and will continue to be monitored by Ireland's medical staff.

Should he fail to recover full fitness in time for the match, Sean Cronin will take his place in the starting XV with Damian Varley stepping up to take his place on the bench.

Head coach Declan Kidney said Best would be given every chance to prove his fitness.

He explained: "We have to put a team in 48 hours before kick-off. The decision could go right to the end, we'll make it when we have to make it.

"I wouldn't want to tempt fate by rating Rory's chances, but he's not ruled out which is always the first sign. He had a good day yesterday which everyone was very positive about. He's making great progress and we're taking it one day at a time."

The rest of the team is also unchanged.

Cian Healy is named at loosehead with Mike Ross at tighthead. Paul O'Connell and Donncha O'Callaghan in the second row with O'Callaghan set to win his 80th Ireland cap. Stephen Ferris , Sean O'Brien and Jamie Heaslip will start in the back-row.

Cronin, Tom Court, Donnacha Ryan and Denis Leamy are the substitute forwards.

Kidney has resisted the urge to make changes in his backline, opting to stick with Ronan O'Gara and Conor Murray at out-half and scrum-half respectively.

Jonathan Sexton and Eoin Reddan are again named on the bench, along with Andrew Trimble.

Kidney said: "Half-back is the most competitive area of the team. I know it's unconventional to use different half-backs at different times.

"When they've been on the pitch they've brought their own things to it. For example Jonathan was hugely strong for us in defence in the last 10 minutes against Italy.

"Eoin robbed two great balls for us in the last 10-15 minutes. Leaving them out isn't easy, but Conor and Ronan have gone quite well for us."

But Kidney is not concerned about Wales targetting O'Gara and expects an varied attack from a team Ireland have consistently described as 'improved' this week.

He added: "They have quite an array of places where they can attack, I don't think they'll pick anyone in particular.

"Wales are a better side now because before you knew where they would attack, but now they attack other places too. It's going to be a case of everyone defending their own zone."

Tommy Bowe continues on the right wing with Keith Earls on the left and Rob Kearney at full-back. Gordon D'Arcy and Brian O'Driscoll will start in the centres with O'Driscoll set to win his 117th cap.

Ireland expect a difficult match on Saturday with Kidney keen to emphasise strong record at RWC 2011 and before and the freshness in Warren Gatland's team.

Kidney added: "Playing Wales is a huge challenge. They got the better of us in March and are going well. They only lost to the kick of a ball against South Africa, otherwise they'd be on four wins from four games.

"They beat England and Argentina during the warm up games as well. They have a few younger players who have brought their own spark. The senior guys are showing good form too.

"They're showing different trends in the way they play, but are more unpredictable than before. If it was possible to read them before, it's more difficult now."

Ireland team to play Wales in the RWC 2011 quarter-final at Westpac Stadium, Saturday 8 October, 6am (Irish time):

15. Rob Kearney 14. Tommy Bowe 13. Brian O'Driscoll 12. Gordon D'Arcy 11. Keith Earls 10. Ronan O'Gara 9. Conor Murray 1. Cian Healy 2. Rory Best 3. Mike Ross 4. Donncha O'Callaghan 5. Paul O'Connell 6. Stephen Ferris 7. Sean O'Brien 8. Jamie Heaslip

16. Sean Cronin 17. Tom Court 18. Donnacha Ryan 19. Denis Leamy 20. Eoin Reddan 21. Jonathan Sexton. 22. Andrew Trimble

• Registered Users Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

I wouldn't get too excited just yet. Kidney is just giving him the max amount of time to get fit. He didn't partake in scrum practise,instead, using the scrummage machine on his own. I don't know,it may be too risky to play him, only for him to break down at the first scrum or lose his effectiveness in the scrum.
    Maybe I'm too pessimistic?:(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

I wouldn't get too excited just yet. Kidney is just giving him the max amount of time to get fit. He didn't partake in scrum practise,instead, using the scrummage machine on his own. I don't know,it may be too risky to play him, only for him to break down at the first scrum or lose his effectiveness in the scrum.

i'd tend to agree with you, all we can do is hope he keeps responding to intensive treatment, the fact he's been out doing some light training is encouraging.

But I don't understand why he'd name him in the team if this is the case. He'd surely be better off naming Cronin and then springing Best on the Welsh as late as possible?

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭del_c

nkay1985 wrote: »
    But I don't understand why he'd name him in the team if this is the case. He'd surely be better off naming Cronin and then springing Best on the Welsh as late as possible?

Don't agree; what if he comes on and breaks down after 5 minutes...then you've 2 subs used....if yer going to risk him, do it at the start.

He's having a great tournament, missing him would be a huge blow.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

nkay1985 wrote: »

I assume you're not allowed change your teamsheet except through someone having to be removed because of injury and not added cos they're now fit.

del_c wrote: »
    Don't agree; what if he comes on and breaks down after 5 minutes...then you've 2 subs used....if yer going to risk him, do it at the start.

I was thinking that playing Best wasn't a great idea, but actually you've just made me rethink that! That makes sense!

del_c wrote: »

Yeah that makes sense if he's definitely going to be well enough to play a part but surely that decision would have to be made much later. It's only if the below quote is correct that I can understand it.
    CatFromHue wrote: »
    I assume you're not allowed change your teamsheet except through someone having to be removed because of injury and not added cos they're now fit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

Best starting. Announced this morning.

:D

GerM wrote: »

Just seen it...
    http://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/worldcup/2011/1006/rwc_bestr.html

If you're on a phone

Ireland hooker Rory Best will start against Wales in Saturday's RWC quarter-final after a further assessment in Wellington on Thursday.

The 29-year-old has been suffering from a sprained AC joint in his shoulder sustained in a collision in the last Pool C game against Italy.

Best was named in starting line-up on Wednesday but Declan Kidney was still unsure at that stage about his participation.

Kidney said: "We have to put a team in 48 hours before kick-off. The decision could go right to the end, we'll make it when we have to make it. I wouldn't want to tempt fate by rating Rory's chances, but he's not ruled out which is always the first sign.

"He had a good day yesterday (Tuesday) which everyone was very positive about. He's making great progress and we're taking it one day at a time."

With Best now starting, Sean Cronin will take his place amongst the replacements.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭ScissorPaperRock

GerM wrote: »

I guess you could say thats the Best news we could have hoped for!

See what I did there?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,411 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

I guess you could say thats the Best news we could have hoped for!

See what I did there?

According to twitter yesterday he was pegging darts of the egg ball kind.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭wixfjord

That is huge news.
    Hook not starting and Rory making it is a big momentum swing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Delighted for Rory. Playing the rugby of his life.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Mighty news. It allows us take to the field with the same belief in our set piece, no nagging concerns about how the scrum or lineout might misfire, just positive thoughts, determination and massive belief

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

kudos to the team's medical staff for getting him back in contention

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭skydish79

I hope Best is 100%

It could be that they are just naming him, giving themselves an extra 48hours see how he goes

They can always take him out and replace him with cronin

Cant do it if we name cronin and it turns out best is ok

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

skydish79 wrote: »
    I hope Best is 100%

It could be that they are just naming him, giving themselves an extra 48hours see how he goes

They can always take him out and replace him with cronin

Cant do it if we name cronin and it turns out best is ok

That's very possible alright. the whole thing has the feel of a Kidney management coup all along. The additional benefit of this is that Wales dont know if we are playing silly buggers or if Best is actually going to play.

Advertisement