Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory Best injury - Collar Bone

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

GerM wrote: »
    Have to tend to agree. Why is someone like BOD left on the pitch when we're winning 26-6 until the 74th minute? And Healy, who had treatment again today after recovering from a damaged eye 2 weeks ago left on until the 72nd? Just seems really pushing it.

Was it the same eye even?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

jk86 wrote: »
    What the hell does that mean?? I won't be able to sleep now...

I dunno, but loads of people have asked him, haven't seen a reply het.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

GerM wrote: »
    Have to tend to agree. Why is someone like BOD left on the pitch when we're winning 26-6 until the 74th minute? And Healy, who had treatment again today after recovering from a damaged eye 2 weeks ago left on until the 72nd? Just seems really pushing it.

When you have someone of Trimble's ability on bench it is all the more surprising..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 peterireland

Could be an issue with Sean Cronin, he took a big blow around 70 mins, rib or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

Could be an issue with Sean Cronin, he took a big blow around 70 mins, rib or something?

I'd actually rather that than lose Ross or Healy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭padraig.od

Could be a citing rather than an injury?

padraig.od wrote: »
    Could be a citing rather than an injury?

They might cite Healy for attacking Ghiraldini's fingers with his eyes. Or for smacking Bergamasco's fist with his nose.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭padraig.od

They might cite Healy for attacking Ghiraldini's fingers with his eyes. Or for smacking Bergamasco's fist with his nose.

he's got a vicious head

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭overshoot

http://www.irishtimes.com/sports/rugby/2011/1002/1224305134835.html
    another link but still no definate he is out

overshoot wrote: »
    http://www.irishtimes.com/sports/rugby/2011/1002/1224305134835.html
    another link but still no definate he is out

Won't be confirmed till later tonight I'd imagine, Monday morning in NZ. :(:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,578 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

fully disagree here. If you're calling the above players the first choice

POC -> Cullen isn't near as big a gap as Best -> Cronin
    Bowe -> Trimble again
    Kearney - > Murphy is a big step, but again not in the same league.
    ROG -> Sexton is not even a step, as it's a crazily close decision already.

You're completely underestimating just how good Best has been and how important he is for our game.

did things fall apart when Cronin came on ? - i thought he did just fine

and i never said bests form was poor - he is/was having a super WC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭RoryMc23

Leen is being such a child. "I know something you dont!!" Why doesn't he just say who the other injury worry is?

thebaz wrote: »
    did things fall apart when Cronin came on ? - i thought he did just fine

and i never said bests form was poor - he is/was having a super WC

Coming up against the Welsh line out is a serious step up Baz. AW Jones, Charteris and Davies are some of the best lineout operators around and will target Cronin. The Italian pack were tired when Cronin came on today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

Will the smaller Cronin allow Ross to push in more effectively? I notice Ross tends to try and push in towards the opposition hooker. Some props on here may let us know is it an advantage to have a hooker who's a bit smaller?
    It's a squad game. He can be a useful ball carrier that sides are not prepared for. Sides are going to be watching Healy, Ferris and SOB like hawks. If Cronin breaks a tackle he very quickly dashes on into open space. Reportedly as fast as Fionn Carr over 20 metres.

Reportedly as fast as Fionn Carr over 20 metres.
    At which point he has to stop to eat a bacon sandwich.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭cython

RoryMc23 wrote: »
    Leen is being such a child. "I know something you dont!!" Why doesn't he just say who the other injury worry is?

I agree with your sentiment, but I would wonder is he actually referring to a possibility of a citing (presumably for Healy, though anything he did was reactionary, and not over the top in light of what was missed) rather than injury? I know the normal citation window is 48 hours after the conclusion of the match, but is there a reduced 36 hour window for the world cup? Tournament organisers have that discretion to vary it between 12 and 48 hours, and 36 hours is a very specific window for him to quote.

If that is the case, he could simply be stirring the proverbial to get attention as a news editor!

Will the smaller Cronin allow Ross to push in more effectively? I notice Ross tends to try and push in towards the opposition hooker. Some props on here may let us know is it an advantage to have a hooker who's a bit smaller?
    It's a squad game. He can be a useful ball carrier that sides are not prepared for. Sides are going to be watching Healy, Ferris and SOB like hawks. If Cronin breaks a tackle he very quickly dashes on into open space. Reportedly as fast as Fionn Carr over 20 metres.

Not really Dave, essentially the role of the hooker at scrum time is to support his prop in targeting the opposition prop by driving at a particular angle and trying to drive a wedge between the opposition hooker and prop destabilising their scrum. Healy and Ross will miss Best terribly. Cronin will do ok in the loose, but he lacks real physical strength and tends to spill alot of ball in contact.

Brewster wrote: »
    Cronin will do ok in the loose, but he lacks real physical strength and tends to spill alot of ball in contact.

This is my abiding image of Cronin alright. Sprinting like a maniac through a gap and then dropping the ball with the predictability of the sun rising.

This is my abiding image of Cronin alright. Sprinting like a maniac through a gap and then dropping the ball with the predictability of the sun rising.

He is next best option, so I hope he can step up to the plate. He will have a great pack around him which hopefully will inspire him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

Cronin can step up, did well today, let's hope he's not injured swell,

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Just watching the highlights on RTÉ, for Earls first try you could see Best going down clutching his collar bone, doesn't look great, but he got back up and ran across the pitch

Clareman wrote: »
    doesn't look great, but he got back up and ran across the pitch
    ...screaming and weeping like a girl. :pac:

Seriously, I hope that means it's not a fracture - he must have been possessed if he got up again to play and it was.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

It wasn't that he got up to play, he went down and grabbed his shoulder, then you could see him going back into position, he must have been watching Seanie McMahon

Clareman wrote: »
    It wasn't that he got up to play, he went down and grabbed his shoulder, then you could see him going back into position, he must have been watching Seanie McMahon

Somehow I doubt if he was watching Seanie! Conor O Shea more or less said he was out on rte highlights programme. I'm sure he would have heard by now, certainly Horgan would have been txting the lads and would have news of any injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Well watched it again, if did get back up off his feet quick enough.

If you break a colar bone you don't get up, simple as. But if he's in hospital its gotta be serious enough for him to be out atleast a week.

Also, possibility that healy might get cited for the shoulder charge he put on bergamasco trying to clear him out, but he didn't attempt to wrap his arms around. It was after bergamasco threw a few wild digs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 WavyDavy

Shane Horgan on RTE saying the vibes about Rory Best aren't good but we'll have to wait until the morning to find out more. So nothing confirmed yet.

Everyone should watch Seanie :)

Looked bad enough to me, hopefully he'll be ok but I doubt it, at least we still have 2 hookers and 4 props out there so we can continue doing live scrum practise.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Strauss isn't a big man Ross and Healy do well propping outside him

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

.ak wrote: »
    If you break a colar bone you don't get up, simple as.

A myth Willie John dispelled a long time ago!

• Advertisement

A myth Willie John dispelled a long time ago!

And Seanie McMahon since then, and many jockies down through the years

Advertisement