Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory Best injury - Collar Bone

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,440 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

I think its a moot point to be honest, I would be very surprised if Sherry gets a run at all, unless we have more hooker injuries of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,769 ✭✭✭✭phog

I cant see Sherry getting game time but I can see why he's been called up. He's a fine player but to be honest he's nowhere near W/C standard. While I hope Best doesn't have to withdraw I think it would be great for Sherry's developement if he only got training time with the squad, I know this cant happen without Sherry actually replacing someone on the squad.

That's 3 hookers that Munster have now sent to the W/C, it's stretching us for the Ospreys game which will probably be our most difficult game of the RPD12 game so far this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

Don't know if this is the lastest, but...

http://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/worldcup/2011/1004/bestr_ireland_rwc.html

For anyone using their phones and/or can't click link
    Ireland hooker Rory Best has responded well to treatment on his shoulder but remains doubtful to face Wales in Saturday's World Cup quarter-final.

Best has been in rehabilitation since spraining his AC joint during Sunday's 36-6 victory over Italy at Otago Stadium.

Ireland are giving the Ulster front row, who has been in outstanding form, every chance to prove his fitness and have yet to rule him out of the World Cup.

"The medical team's worked hard with Rory over the last 24 hours. He's reacted well and we're very pleased with the response," said assistant coach Mark Tainton.

"He's not totally ruled out but his chances at the moment are long.

"He's doubtful for this weekend but has not been ruled out of the competition."

With Ireland due to name their side to face Wales in the early hours of tomorrow, time is running out.

If he fails to recover, Sean Cronin will start with Damien Varley promoted to the bench.

Munster hooker Michael Sherry has been summoned to New Zealand as precautionary cover for Best, who remains an official member of the World Cup squad.

"Rory Best is still progressing with his rehabilitation and while he is still rated doubtful for Wales, we felt it prudent to bring Mike down to New Zealand as precautionary cover," said manager Paul McNaughton.

"We expect Mike to arrive in New Zealand on Thursday."

• Registered Users Posts: 6,936 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Ok so it's looking like he won't be available for Saturday, which is a real shame. Hopefully he'll get another game after Saturday though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Picassso

i am fearful of wales without best
    we should try to start him
    inject him up and go for it
    cronin can come on maybe at HT when we've broken the welsh down somewhat with our setpiece

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,440 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Picassso wrote: »
    cronin can come on maybe at HT when we've broken the welsh down somewhat with our setpiece

We should start him if he's 100% fit, otherwise we should consider his welfare and our best interests - we cant start a game with a player that is not 100%. Unless his name is BOD of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭MrDerp

Bridge too far, I'd say, given the 6 day turnaround. He'll be a day or two short, best case scenario.

There's a sample rehab here:
    http://www.angelfire.com/pa2/thermod/acprog.html

If it's grade 1, the above indicates best case 7-8 day turnaround to be at full strength with full range of motion. You'd want to be sure that the balance in power is correct between his shoulders.

If at the lower end of injury scale, he could be well into training by the Tuesday/Wednesday before any semi should we get there. With the tournament level of base fitness you'd think he'd get back up there very quickly

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

I have to admit I haven't seen a lot of Sherry but the vibe from Munster guys on here seems to be reasonably positive. I'm not particularly keen on the notion of Varley as an international-class hooker, so maybe the Munster lads could let us know who'd they rather see on the bench, Varley or Sherry?
    Sherry is a much better player but he hasn't been in camp so doesn't know the guys line out calls so I'd have Varley ahead at the moment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Sherry is a much better player but he hasn't been in camp so doesn't know the guys line out calls so I'd have Varley ahead at the moment

Sherry has much more potential that Varley but right now, Varley is still the better player, imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

Fingers crossed that Best will be back for the semis provided we make it.

But its a great chance for Cronin to show what he is made of. Roll on Saturday :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭padser

Is Sherry allowed to train with the sqaud before being officially added?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭andrewdcs

padser wrote: »

Was thinking this myself, but then again he must be surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,769 ✭✭✭✭phog

No, Michael Corcoran even sugeested he may not even be allowed stay in the team hotel.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Deadly Delta

Looks more positive from these images, hope he makes it.

RoryBestBrianGreen_IrelandtrainRWCWellington.jpg

http://www.irishrugby.ie/rugby/24308.php

• Registered Users Posts: 33 kevtwin

This is my abiding image of Cronin alright. Sprinting like a maniac through a gap and then dropping the ball with the predictability of the sun rising.
    :rolleyes:

He sounds like our Andy Powell but i probably a better driver of a golf buggy!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,758 ✭✭✭cython

phog wrote: »
    No, Michael Corcoran even sugeested he may not even be allowed stay in the team hotel.

Going from the coverage surrounding Thomas Waldrom's call up for England a player can be flown out to NZ without taking a player out of the squad, but he can not join up with the team until he is officially replacing a player. So assuming the same treatment for Sherry as for Waldrom, he will be in a separate hotel (I think Waldrom was even in another city) and taking no part in squad training until such a time (hopefully never!) as Best has to be replaced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Picassso

Would it be feasible to not use him for lineouts and just put him in the side for scrums really?
    Just get one of the lads to throw the ball in so Best is not putting more pressure on the shoulder.
    Prob not realistic but maybe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

Would it be feasible to not use him for lineouts and just put him in the side for scrums really?
    Just get one of the lads to throw the ball in so Best is not putting more pressure on the shoulder.
    Prob not realistic but maybe?

Use him in the scrums to not put pressure on his shoulder? Have I read that right?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭LeeHoffmann

^ my thoughts exactly

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

If we're talking a 7-8 day turnaround, we could see Cronin starting with Best on the bench. He'll likely be at 80% or more, and could come on if Cronin has a mare.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

His shoulder looks ok, but it looks like his balance is ****ed.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

One thing I mentioned after the Russia match was my amazement that not only did we use our hooker off the bench, but Varley wasn't even on the bench to begin with?

Surely we thought we'd win that game, and at some point in the last 20 it'd be a good chance to give Varley a run out?

Now we'll have Varley on the bench for saturday with no game time under his belt?

Heh, do you think Besty will be handing our jerseys on the captain's run? ;)

Maybe that's our secret weapon, injure a gutsy hooker and get him to do a motivational speech the day prior to the big game. :P

Speaking of Fla, Cronin needs to get a bin and practice this!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

.ak wrote: »
    Heh, do you think Besty will be handing our jerseys on the captain's run? ;)

Maybe that's our secret weapon, injure a gutsy hooker and get him to do a motivational speech the day prior to the big game. :P

if that is the case we need to fly out 3 more hookers!!!

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    if that is the case we need to fly out 3 more hookers!!!

sounds like a party to me

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭padser

His shoulder looks ok, but it looks like his balance is ****ed.

Whatever about the quarter final - that at least looks promising if we get through

• Registered Users Posts: 4,758 ✭✭✭cython

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭ambid

On Vincent Browne just now they reviewed tomorrow's papers and I'd swear I saw a headline on the Irish Independent which said "Kidney names Best in the team".

I could be wrong, but...

Advertisement