Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strava Boards.ie Club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

ROK ON wrote: »
    Just back from a lunchtime cycle.

I felt great and despite not having warmed up, I was half way up Molls Gap and on for setting a new PB (over 1 minute off my prior best).

Then out of the corner of my eye I spy a crisp 20 euro note lying on the ground. I just ploughed on and made it to the top and checked my Garmin to see where the note was (2.4km from the top).

On my way down, it was still there.

If it wasn't for strava, I would have gotten off the bike and taken the 20 when I first saw it.

thats worrying. You could have stopped and claimed it was a bike change? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭dvntie

lennymc wrote: »
    ROK ON wrote: »
    Just back from a lunchtime cycle.

I felt great and despite not having warmed up, I was half way up Molls Gap and on for setting a new PB (over 1 minute off my prior best).

Then out of the corner of my eye I spy a crisp 20 euro note lying on the ground. I just ploughed on and made it to the top and checked my Garmin to see where the note was (2.4km from the top).

On my way down, it was still there.

If it wasn't for strava, I would have gotten off the bike and taken the 20 when I first saw it.

thats worrying. You could have stopped and claimed it was a bike change? :)
    Or a hamstring twinge ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,050 ✭✭✭buffalo

Lumen wrote: »
    I noticed that and reported it to try and get it unmarked. I haven't checked back recently, but I've heard nothing.

Did you do better than 1:16 on it?

http://app.strava.com/segments/714676

By the way, I found a loophole. You can view leaderboards for any segment through the API. I'm actually way down the bottom for Knockmaroon Hill.

1. S. scrivener 0:42
    2. S. O Gallachoir 0:45
    3. Nick Eustace 1:05
    4. Gordon O' Brien 1:07
    5. john malone 1:09
    5. D. Creighton 1:09
    7. Peter Clifford 1:11
    8. Vinny Colgan 1:12
    9. Max Power 1:13
    10. Brian Mc 1:15

• Registered Users Posts: 31,009 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

buffalo wrote: »
    By the way, I found a loophole. You can view leaderboards for any segment through the API. I'm actually way down the bottom for Knockmaroon Hill.

1. S. scrivener 0:42
    2. S. O Gallachoir 0:45
    3. Nick Eustace 1:05
    4. Gordon O' Brien 1:07
    5. john malone 1:09
    5. D. Creighton 1:09
    7. Peter Clifford 1:11
    8. Vinny Colgan 1:12
    9. Max Power 1:13
    10. Brian Mc 1:15

42 seconds. I think he's a MTBer.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭maloner

http://app.strava.com/segments/1147927

Someone (I'll wager his name was Nick....) created a new segment for Knockmarroon hill.

• Advertisement

maloner wrote: »

Someone (I'll wager his name was Nick....) created a new segment for Knockmarroon hill.

35kph up Knockmaroon Hill! Fffffffff...

I'm 16th!? /me marks it as hazardous. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭on_the_nickel

Please let Max Power be a real name.

Or is it an over-whelmingly disappointing Homer-like name change?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,738 ✭✭✭C3PO

Please let Max Power be a real name.

Or is it an over-whelmingly disappointing Homer-like name change?

Max is one of our long term Polish visitors whose real name is Maciej Staroniewicz! I think the lads in the club got sick of trying to remember how to pronounce his name properly and so "Max Power" was born! He's a strong road and MTB rider!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Lumen wrote: »
    35kph up Knockmaroon Hill! Fffffffff...

Did somebody do a big bunnyhop when going up this segment.........

198095.bmp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Bunnyhopper

This might interest those with video cameras and Strava. It lets you overlay Strava data on a youtube video.

http://suffervision.appspot.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

I must upload my ride from yesterday, it'll make good viewing. The GPS was having a hissy fit and not picking up speed dist or cadence proberly. Went from 0 to 75kph to 8pkh in the space of 2 seconds :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

i just set my pb for cruagh road finally in top half of rankings for longest segement took over 2misn over old time from yesterday.

Does anyone else go through the following cycle? Get home, upload race data. See KOM, 3rd overall here, 6th there. Feel pleased.

Check back two hours later, find everyone else has uploaded their data. No more KOM, no more 3rd. No more 6th. Break open a beer.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,308 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Does anyone else go through the following cycle? Get home, upload race data. See KOM, 3rd overall here, 6th there. Feel pleased.

Check back two hours later, find everyone else has uploaded their data. No more KOM, no more 3rd. No more 6th. Break open a beer.
    So long as you get it uploaded first, at least you have the "honour" of beng recorded as a KOM, and it remains on the ride record. In fact it's almost as important winning the race to upload to Strava as it is to win the "real" race;)

Beasty wrote: »
    So long as you get it uploaded first, at least you have the "honour" of beng recorded as a KOM, and it remains on the ride record. In fact it's almost as important winning the race to upload to Strava as it is to win the "real" race;)

The real issue here is waiting two hours for a beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭RO 06

Just like my Loughshinney one.Had the hounour for 2 days but it still says it when i look at it.

Sweet! I'll always have that KOM in my ride (and my heart), even though I now have been bumped down to second place. Sheeeeeerloooooooock!

khaaaaan.jpg?cb5e28

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,308 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

A certain ScouserBoardsie who shall remain nameless has recently uploaded his Garmin library going back a few years, and in doing so has acquired 15 KOMs.

Now I'm not saying there is anything dodgy about any of them. I am however very concerned over his fall from grace over recent years - hills that he used to get up at 60-70kph now take him more than twice as long

Lucky he wasn't doing those sorts of speeds in the car, as he could be done for breaking the speed limits on some of those roads;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Have to say not convinced about the accuracy on strava! That said surprised at how many trivial sections are competed with such venom......

Now off to take the Garmin off the roof of the Volvo :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭jimm

Sweet! I'll always have that KOM in my ride (and my heart), even though I now have been bumped down to second place. Sheeeeeerloooooooock!

It now seems that the term "Sherlocked" has two meanings in the cycling forum. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭g0g

I've somehow managed to hang onto one completely random KOM somewhere in Wicklow! I went on a Bray Wheelers weekend spin and clearly no one in the group is on Strava and no one else has ever cycled up the hill! I have no idea where it is, but I'm certain the next person up it will beat me! I challenge someone to find it!

I also hold a very random one (dunno who created it or if it's an automatic one!) coming out of Dublin along the Phoenix Park/Liffey, turn left over the Liffey at Island Bridge and head up that hill.

Surely no one with a hybrid should hold a KOM! :)

The one I'm determined (although I'll never get there!) to get up the top of is this one - the flat (Eastbound) stretch between Marley Park and the M50 near bottom of Kilmashogue Lane. Maybe Top 10 on it is a better goal! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

something that came up on twitter - apparently theives are using tracking sites like mapmyride, strava, etc to find out where people with high end bikes live. I have my strava set up to not show rides 500 metres from my house. Its under the settings -> privacy tab if anyone wants to set it up.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

I have this guy ...
    http://app.strava.com/activities/5567356#106062590
    but it doesn't show up as KOM? Is the section too short or what?

colm18 wrote: »
    I have this guy ...
    http://app.strava.com/activities/5567356#106062590
    but it doesn't show up as KOM? Is the section too short or what?
    You have an equal time to another guy, and they've given it to him!

(I have one or two like that)

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

I'll never get so close again - I'm only top ten in two segements! Now I know how Buzz Aldrin feels

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Congrats to Velopeloton on finishing the Climbing Challenge.......

......32100m in 19 rides is some going.

Enjoy drinking from the bidon of victory!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,738 ✭✭✭C3PO

Jawgap wrote: »

Congrats to Velopeloton on finishing the Climbing Challenge.......

......32100m in 19 rides is some going.

Enjoy drinking from the bidon of victory!!:D

Ryan is only 2/3 of the way ..... what chance do the rest of us mortals have?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

I haven't seen this before but Strava seems to have mistakenly grouped two different routes/segments, which have maybe 50% of their routes in common, under the same segment. The segment is here and the segment ridden by riders from position 10 onwards is not the same as that of the first 9 riders listed. I wonder if this happens often with similar routes/segments in Strava?

• Advertisement

It happened to me on this segment, where the segment goes round the Lusk by-pass, but the leaderboard includes those who took the direct route through Lusk

Despite taking the longer route, I still took the KOM by over 2 minutes mind ...

Advertisement