Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ferguson Ariva 120 Users Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Thanks a million!

My pleasure, let us know what you think of it and perhaps you could fill in the missing channels and re post the dump file if you get time.

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Hi All
    I hooked up a 2nd hand Ferguson ariva 120 for a mate of mine last week, got it to work discovered couldn't get Setanta and Bt sports got everything else fine. I have it connected to the internet the problem is I updated the firmware and channel list but the settings got changed what I need to know is
    I cannot find where I should enter the server name, password, port number, I had the same problem last week but stumbled across where to put the port number by accciddent stupidly I didn't write it down how to get there again.
    It was a page that looked very like network ddns settings but it didn't have wildcard on it and it did have port on it
    My head is wreaked with this, any help greatly appreciated
    Regards
    D

We cannot discuss that issue here. Sent you a pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

As title, is there any cure for this, I switched off and unpluged but no joy. All programmes/channels are perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭zg3409

danjo-xx wrote: »
    As title, is there any cure for this, I switched off and unpluged but no joy. All programmes/channels are perfect.

It could be the screen resolution and a mismatch between the TV and the box. Try a SCART lead. Also I think there is a button on the ariva remote to change the HDMI from 720p to 720i to 1080p etc. Ideally this should be set to match the TV. Also some TVs have a button to change screen refresh rate etc.

Thats my wild guess.

zg3409 wrote: »
    It could be the screen resolution and a mismatch between the TV and the box. Try a SCART lead. Also I think there is a button on the ariva remote to change the HDMI from 720p to 720i to 1080p etc. Ideally this should be set to match the TV. Also some TVs have a button to change screen refresh rate etc.

Thats my wild guess.

The tv is a 14" crt so has no hdmi conn. Just using the scart, I tried all the different resolutions using the stb remote as you suggested but no joy.

Could it be the scart lead even though everything else is perfect.

• Advertisement

Does sound like scart issue from what you describe but this would also affect channels as well as the menu if the scart was the problem.

Could it be the scart lead even though everything else is perfect.

Tony wrote: »
    Does sound like scart issue from what you describe but this would also affect channels as well as the menu if the scart was the problem.

The simplist way is to try it on a TV with HDMI. It could be that the menu is too detailed and the characters are not lining up with the pixels on the low resolution screen. This might be causing the effect of the letters moving from one pixel to the next causing a shimmering effect.

Splash out on a 60" plasma. The problem might go away!

zg3409 wrote: »

Splash out on a 60" plasma. The problem might go away!

No way hosay, Big is Not beautiful..... :D

I can live with it as its only a 2nd tv and I dont watch it much anyway.

thanks for help.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭iba

No way hosay, Big is Not beautiful..... :D

I can live with it as its only a 2nd tv and I dont watch it much anyway.

thanks for help.

A Logik LED from Dixons/Currys is excellent for a second room/bedroom/kitchen IMO; very cheap and very very good quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭ranger4

Just After updating saorview by manualy adding ch 44 for RTE Hd etc and now cannot view any of the saorview channels when recording however the recording onto external hd seems to be fine? was working ok until i updated saorview with manual scan any ideas anyone thanks.

• Advertisement

You should be able to view channels on the same mux while recording but you will not for example be able to view RTE 1 while recording RTE 2 as RTENL in their wisdom have put these two channels on separate muxes

ranger4 wrote: »
    Just After updating saorview by manualy adding ch 44 for RTE Hd etc and now cannot view any of the saorview channels when recording however the recording onto external hd seems to be fine? was working ok until i updated saorview with manual scan any ideas anyone thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭ranger4

Tony wrote: »
    You should be able to view channels on the same mux while recording but you will not for example be able to view RTE 1 while recording RTE 2 as RTENL in their wisdom have put these two channels on separate muxes

Thanks tony, so which of the saorview channels should i be able to record and watch at same time thanks again.

The ones that are on the same mux . Maybe that info is on saorview.ie or someone else here may post it up . In any case the box will "grey out" the ones you cannot view at any particular time.

ranger4 wrote: »
    Thanks tony, so which of the saorview channels should i be able to record and watch at same time thanks again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

folks sorry if im asking something thats already been answered but the missus folks have the ariva 120 combo box, its telling them they need to rescan for rte 1, ive done the automatic rescan and it doesnt seem to make any odds, do i need to do something else to pick up rte1 hd ? dont know what firmware ver this box is as im not in front of it now
    thanks

Have a look at the end of the channel list first, if not there then delete the old channel using the channel edit function and then re scan. A re scan will not replace the old RTE as its SD , the new version is HD. More info here http://www.satellite.ie/acatalog/Frequently_Asked_Questions.html

folks sorry if im asking something thats already been answered but the missus folks have the ariva 120 combo box, its telling them they need to rescan for rte 1, ive done the automatic rescan and it doesnt seem to make any odds, do i need to do something else to pick up rte1 hd ? dont know what firmware ver this box is as im not in front of it now
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

thanks
    I'm in the same boat and I did some research at the weekend that suggests (at least in my case) it's nothing to do with the Ferguson box. It turns out when I do an automatic scan the box was picking up two separate transmitters from my antennae and each transmitter is broadcasting on two separate frequencies. The box then maps 30 channels. The first eight are from Tonabrucky (Mux1) and the RTE 1 channel is the standard version with the notice to re-scan. The next eight are from Maghera (Mux 1) and have the exact same channels. Then there are seven channels from Tonabrucky (Mux 2) where the first channel is RTE 1 HD and the last seven channels are from Maghera (Mux 2) identical to the previous seven from Tonabrucky. These last 14 channels are unwatchable.

My antennae is pointed at Maghera but seems to pick up Tonabrucky too because it's nearby. The quality of Mux 1 from both transmitters is listed by the Ariva box as being 90%+ and the picture is grand but the quality of Mux 2 from Tonabrucky is 80%, which means a lot of break up in the picture and sound. The Mux 2 signal from Maghera is non-existent. If you pull up signal bars it flashes onto 90% for a fraction of a second but mostly shows zero and a 'no-signal' message on the screen.

There seems to be two possible reasons.
    1) The antennae isn't pointed accurately at Maghera and repositioning it will resolve the problem.
    2) The antennae isn't able to pick up the higher frequency of Mux 2 from Maghera (746 MHz) and I need to replace it with a different type.

It might be worthwhile checking out the frequencies of the transmitter you should be receiving from and seeing if the box is actually receiving them.

You can also use the saorview coverage checker http://www.saorview.ie/get-saorview/make-the-switch/coverage-map/ to see the optimal transmitter and then just use manual terrestrial scan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

deleting and rescanning worked tanks

Can this be opened up for cleaning, there are no screws.

Yes, take off the feet I think

• Advertisement

iba wrote: »
    Yes, take off the feet I think
    doesn't have any feet!:rolleyes:

doesn't have any feet!:rolleyes:

Look under the stickers

It definitly opens.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭Hedgecutter

Which of these do I use to upgrade. Is there a English PDF version of the owners manual out there?

http://www.ferguson-digital.eu/en/download/HD-Satellite-Receivers/ariva-120-combo/A120Combo_2.15B8.zip/

Which of these do I use to upgrade. Is there a English PDF version of the owners manual out there?

http://www.ferguson-digital.eu/en/download/HD-Satellite-Receivers/ariva-120-combo/A120Combo_2.15B8.zip/

The first one

And there is an English manual in that link too

• Registered Users Posts: 39 gg69me

iba wrote: »
    The first one

And there is an English manual in that link too

hi there
    i need v2.15B8 as the link above says but when i click on the link i get v2.18B8 which is probably a more updated version but i actually want V2.15B8 if anyone has it . i need the official ferguson version as a backup in case my patch file dosent work....
    also does anybody know what the frequencies for setanta sports and setanta ireland is on astra28.2 as when i scan my ariva box on astra 2a and 2c and eurobird 1 i cant seem to pick it up but it will come in scrambled on the normal pace box from sky if i use the freq on lyngsat and other sat websites like that ...does the ariva 120 not go up that high frequency wise or what ????? thanks in advance..go raibh maith agat...

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭shamu2new

Installed a 120 box but major problem with the EPG Channel List - its extremely slow to load and will only really give programme info when you select a channel on the list - any ideas what I can do please?

shamu2new wrote: »
    Installed a 120 box but major problem with the EPG Channel List - its extremely slow to load and will only really give programme info when you select a channel on the list - any ideas what I can do please?

On satellite (UK) channels onmy now and next is sent by each channel, and you need to select each channel. On terrestrial (RTE) all 8 days guide are sent for all Irish channels. The only way to get 8 days guide on satellite is to use a Sky box (with or without subscription) or use a genuine freesat branded box, which can decode a special hidden 8 days guide.

On some German channels more info is sent in the open up to 8 days, but on the UK channels 8 days information is hidden in Freesat or Sky special formats, only normally decoded on their own branded boxes.

Did a scan last week of Radio Channels, and got about 200 cnls. Went in to Radio Channel List>all channels and there is only about 8 or 9 channels listed.

Any idea what might have caused this (no one was messing with the settings)

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Plascebo

Have a recent issue with my 120. When I turn it on I do not get now/next or any epg information until I go to a Soarview channel and back to satellite channel. Anyone else?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Plascebo

I notice there are new updates for the 250 and 150, would anyone have the latest update for the 120?

Advertisement