Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The ESB And Eirgrid can go f*ck themselves - Merge

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

sdeire wrote: »
    Just seen the poll. It's absurd.

The woman threw her toys out of the pram and very deliberately, with complete premeditation and intent, broke the law. Moreover she can be released whenever she chooses to comply with the court.

What sort of example would it set to set her free? You may as well put a full page ad in every paper saying "Dear Public, please feel free to thieve, rape or murder, we'll only lock you up for three days. Kind regards, the Judiciary".

It's lunacy to suggest she not be locked up. It was her choice to break the rules.

yeah because thats the same thing. you do realise theives and other dangerous criminals are being kept of of prison because there is no room dont you.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭loremolis

Zen65 wrote: »
    Are you certain of this loremolis? I cannot find this requirement on the CER website, do you have a link for it?

My reading of the CER's web is that they regulate ESB Networks only through licences and financial instruments, but not at an operational level. I know that private developers can acquire an easement through forestry without any recourse to a licence, so it is almost certain that ESB Networks don't require regulatory approval to buy one (because it is not a licence issue).

Z

I'm 100% certain.

Before the CER existed the ESB required the approval of the Minister.

If you like, I can point you to the relevant legislation.

Many people have commented here that this was a compulsory purchase and that we'll all go back to living in caves if landowners are allowed to get away with refusing to acknowledge a Compulsory Purchase Order.

It's NOT a Compulsory Purchase nor is it an easement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Peetrik

sdeire wrote: »
    Just seen the poll. It's absurd.

The woman threw her toys out of the pram and very deliberately, with complete premeditation and intent, broke the law. Moreover she can be released whenever she chooses to comply with the court.

What sort of example would it set to set her free? You may as well put a full page ad in every paper saying "Dear Public, please feel free to thieve, rape or murder, we'll only lock you up for three days. Kind regards, the Judiciary".

It's lunacy to suggest she not be locked up. It was her choice to break the rules.

Utter tripe, this is not a thief or a rapist or a murder this is an 65yr old lady whos only crime was refusing to say "yes please come onto my land and chop down all the trees Iv spent the last 20 years growing myself".

A country is made up of its citizens, the rights of citizens should ALWAYS take priority over the desires of corporations.
    If this is not happening, then the law should be changed to favor its citizens.
    If it still doesnt happen then it can only be because of corruption at the level that the laws are being created.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Why do people keep mentioning her age and sex? Are irish citizens without a penis and born before a certain date above the law now?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,950 ✭✭✭✭Stark

All the statutes have implied "little old lady" clauses.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭FetchTheGin

Jesus christ, where is the humanity in people anymore, this woman obviously feels this way because she spent many years making this land into what it is now.

To have her locked up in a cell for nearly 3 weeks is inhumane and devoid of any common decency.

This country and some of the people in it make me sick sometiimes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭drdeadlift

Im on the landowners side.She should not be in jail she hasnt done anything wrong,its up to the esb to meet an agreement to suit her.I was expecting more to be behind her.

Paparazzo wrote: »
    Are irish citizens without a penis and born before a certain date above the law now?

Laws change. The Germans had some great laws, blindly saying 'oh well if its the law then it must be ok' is a fallacy.
    The woman has obviously been done a great wrong and that is why people have issue with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Peetrik wrote: »
    Laws change. The Germans had some great laws, blindly saying 'oh well if its the law then it must be ok' is a fallacy.
    The woman has obviously been done a great wrong and that is why people have issue with it.

Godwined! They also have a great rail and autobahn system

And as Spock said:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Zen65

loremolis wrote: »
    I'm 100% certain.

Before the CER existed the ESB required the approval of the Minister.

If you like, I can point you to the relevant legislation.

Please do send me a link to the legislation which requires CER approval for easements to be purchased by ESB Networks. It would be a horrendous waste of money if that were the case, since anyone can buy an easement for other types of services to cross lands. There would be no rationale for requiring a utility company to get individual Regulatory approvals.

Z

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭loremolis

Zen65 wrote: »
    Please do send me a link to the legislation which requires CER approval for easements to be purchased by ESB Networks. It would be a horrendous waste of money if that were the case, since anyone can buy an easement for other types of services to cross lands. There would be no rationale for requiring a utility company to get individual Regulatory approvals.

Z

Zen65,

Here is a link to a CER decision paper on the matter.

http://www.cer.ie/GetAttachment.aspx?id=1355e301-239e-4e5a-b621-aacc076ed008.

Section 2.2 of the document explains the legal basis by which the CER allows the ESB or Eirgrid to acquire an easement under Section 45 of the 1927 Electricity Supply Act.

There is an error, perhaps a deliberate one, in the document.

Eirgrid call it the acquisition of a wayleave. It's not. It's an easement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

Jesus christ, where is the humanity in people anymore, this woman obviously feels this way because she spent many years making this land into what it is now.

To have her locked up in a cell for nearly 3 weeks is inhumane and devoid of any common decency.

This country and some of the people in it make me sick sometiimes.

+1

She seems a decent sort and is idealistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Paparazzo wrote: »
    Why do people keep mentioning her age and sex? Are irish citizens without a penis and born before a certain date above the law now?

Maybe because it's fact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 472 ✭✭wee truck big driver

Maybe because it's fact.
    its a fact that has no bearing on whether or not it is permissible to break the law and not expect to take the consequences

its a fact that has no bearing on whether or not it is permissible to break the law and not expect to take the consequences

The law, the infallabe law. It's never let us down before.

Peetrik wrote: »
    Utter tripe, this is not a thief or a rapist or a murder this is an 65yr old lady whos only crime was refusing to say "yes please come onto my land and chop down all the trees Iv spent the last 20 years growing myself".

A country is made up of its citizens, the rights of citizens should ALWAYS take priority over the desires of corporations.
    If this is not happening, then the law should be changed to favor its citizens.
    If it still doesnt happen then it can only be because of corruption at the level that the laws are being created.
    as a citizen of this country i dont want to pay extra for my electric because some eccentric, deranged wealthy land owner. doesnt want trees cut down. trees which she probably only planted when the esb said they planed to go through the field. how many elderly people who are not as well off as this tree hugger will feel the pain of increased fuel costs because of her actions. the trees should be chopped up and distributed among the local elderly underprivigled. this is similar to the tree huggers who stop motorways being built which save lives, just to protect trees. how many people lives or equal to one tree

The law, the infallabe law. It's never let us down before.
    it lets us down every day but you cant have somebody stick ther two fingers up at it, and let them off because they are an old lady

Come on people,

People are allowed to believe and we are allowed to look out for a support little old ladies.

as a citizen of this country i dont want to pay extra for my electric because some eccentric, deranged wealthy land owner. doesnt want trees cut down.

And keeping her in prison isn't costing the tax payer anything I suppose?

trees which she probably only planted when the esb said they planed to go through the field.

You obviously haven't bothered doing the most basic research and have no clue what your talking about.

as a citizen of this country i dont want to pay extra for my electric because some eccentric, deranged wealthy land owner. doesnt want trees cut down. trees which she probably only planted when the esb said they planed to go through the field. how many elderly people who are not as well off as this tree hugger will feel the pain of increased fuel costs because of her actions. the trees should be chopped up and distributed among the local elderly underprivigled. this is similar to the tree huggers who stop motorways being built which save lives, just to protect trees. how many people lives or equal to one tree

Ahem, farm incomes are half the average industrial wage, so she might not be rich.

1 in 4 of the population are illiterate so she may not be able to represent herself against authority.

And when was a cultivating an area with native flora and fauna eccentric. Native ash etc.

• Advertisement

CDfm wrote: »
    Ahem, farm incomes are half the average industrial wage, so she might not be rich.

Don't be silly, Land owner = wealthy. Everyone knows that.

Pity no-one told the cash strapped farmers.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭joela

CDfm wrote: »

1 in 4 of the population are illiterate so she may not be able to represent herself against authority.

And when was a cultivating an area with native flora and fauna eccentric. Native ash etc.

I think you will find the trees she planted were predominantly NOT native, what fauna did she cultivate unless you are including domestic birds & mammals? Ash plantation is not a diverse habitat and neither is conifer plantation. Monocultures of any kind are not good for biodiversity, a woodland should have layers not lines of trees.

Unlikely she is illiterate but then if she was I am sure one of the protestors, some of whom have never met her including one who is a neighbour, could have helped her?

She doesn't appear to be farming and even if she was the nice premium payments for her forestry would help her out.:rolleyes:

joela wrote: »
    I think you will find the trees she planted were predominantly NOT native, what fauna did she cultivate unless you are including domestic birds & mammals? Ash plantation is not a diverse habitat and neither is conifer plantation. Monocultures of any kind are not good for biodiversity, a woodland should have layers not lines of trees.

Unlikely she is illiterate but then if she was I am sure one of the protestors, some of whom have never met her including one who is a neighbour, could have helped her?

She doesn't appear to be farming and even if she was the nice premium payments for her forestry would help her out.:rolleyes:

How much would that be then?

:rolleyes: smiley should be banned.

Don't be silly, Land owner = wealthy. Everyone knows that.

Pity no-one told the cash strapped farmers.

Hmmmm I'd imagine the cash strapped farmers are in exactly the same position of most of Ireland so that really doesn't explain why she warrants sympathy for refusing to follow the court order.

Perhaps we could change the pitiful headline to "65 year old cash strapped woman goes to jail for her trees" I bet that'd gain a few extra deluded supporters at a candlelit vigil!

How much would that be then?

:rolleyes: smiley should be banned.

I can't give you a figure as I don't have forestry but I have family who have planted large areas of land in a similar manner and they told me many times that it was more than they had earned breaking their back milking cows.

http://www.coillte.ie/coillteforest/farm_forestry/why_plant_your_land/

I like the :rolleyes: because it conveys the way the abject stupidity about this particular case makes me feel :rolleyes:

Hmmmm I'd imagine the cash strapped farmers are in exactly the same position of most of Ireland so that really doesn't explain why she warrants sympathy for refusing to follow the court order.

Perhaps we could change the pitiful headline to "65 year old cash strapped woman goes to jail for her trees" I bet that'd gain a few extra deluded supporters at a candlelit vigil!

Deluded, heh.

Landowner does not equal wealthy, far from it in most cases.

I can't give you a figure as I don't have forestry but I have family who have planted large areas of land in a similar manner and they told me many times that it was more than they had earned breaking their back milking cows.

I like the :rolleyes: because it conveys the way the abject stupidity about this particular case makes me feel :rolleyes:

Oh ok, you don't know.

Thought as much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

a few extra deluded supporters at a candlelit vigil!

Careful with the candles, could burn down the trees.
    Perhaps a few electric lights ? oh no thats out too.
    Perhaps some battery powered eco friendly led lights ?, maybe solar powered ones? - nah the light wouldn't get through the trees.

Ah feck it, maybe just leave the criminal where she is, and get on with our lives.

Oh ok, you don't know.

Thought as much.

I don't tend to keep irrelevant figures in my head but here is a link http://www.coillte.ie/coillteforest/farm_forestry/why_plant_your_land/

• Advertisement

Careful with the candles, could burn down the trees.
    Perhaps a few electric lights ? oh no thats out too.
    Perhaps some battery powered eco friendly led lights ?, maybe solar powered ones? - nah the light wouldn't get through the trees.

Ah feck it, maybe just leave the criminal where she is, and get on with our lives.

Ooooh careful you can't call a 65 year old woman that you know!:eek:

Advertisement