Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The ESB And Eirgrid can go f*ck themselves - Merge

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭loremolis

Can anyone answer this?

Leaving the trees and the ESB stuff aside for a minute.

What is an appropriate length of time for her to remain in prison for her "crime" ?

1 month?
    3 months?
    6 months?
    1 year?
    2 years?
    5 years?

At what point will she have received appropriate punishment for her wrong doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

loremolis wrote: »
    Can anyone answer this?

What is an appropriate length of time for her to remain in prison for her "crime" ?

1 month?
    3 months?
    6 months?
    1 year?
    2 years?
    5 years?

At what point will she have received appropriate punishment for her wrong doing?

Indefinite, no idea on length.

Best not be long, keeping a prisoner is not cheap, the taxpayer will complain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

Can anyone answer this?

Whenever her obstruction would cause no further hassle to the work being carried out.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭joela

Can anyone answer this?

1 month?
    3 months?
    6 months?
    1 year?
    2 years?
    5 years?

I think that is her choice isn't it? Presumably when they complete the work the judge will release her anyway so I suppose if the protestors let the contractors do their job she could be home within a week. Or before if she purged her contempt:)

joela wrote: »
    I think that is her choice isn't it? Presumably when they complete the work the judge will release her anyway so I suppose if the protestors let the contractors do their job she could be home within a week. Or before if she purged her contempt:)

Presumably??????

You didn't answer my question.

She apparently commited a crime.

She went to prison for that crime.

"What in your opinion is an appropriate length of time for her to remain in prison for her "crime" ?

When will she have served enough prison time to earn her right to rejoin society?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Peetrik

Can anyone answer this?

1 month?
    3 months?
    6 months?
    1 year?
    2 years?
    5 years?

For the 'crime' of having the emotion of contempt?

There should be no fine or imprisonment for the human response of having emotions.

Whenever her obstruction would cause no further hassle to the work being carried out.

My question was posed without reference to the ESB, her trees or the work being carried out on her land.

She committed a crime and she is being punished.

To be honest I couldn't care less when she gets out, to me she is a querulous older lady who is causing a silly fuss over something that doesn't require a fuss. I wonder why she is causing such a fuss though, is it sheer pig headness at this stage? Or maybe she is being used and manipulated by some of these people spearheading an emotive campaign built on misinformation. To be honest I really don't care about Teresa Treacy, she is in Mountjoy not Guantanamo Bay and it was the choices she made that got her there. I don't know her, the sob stories and media spin quite frankly makes me gag and I absolutely detest issues being presented as environmental causes when they blatantly are not. So she can stay there indefinitely as far as I'm concerned, as a tax payer it is probably cheaper than holding up the line.

I ask you again, what is your opinion of the real environmental damage being done by the domestic turf cutters particularly in those areas designated as SAC. Do you follow the line of, oh for years we've cut turf here and it is our right? or do you follow the line of this is REAL environmental damage with far reaching impacts and long term consequences and on top of that it could cost us €26,000 a day in fines?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Zen65

Zen65,

Here is a link to a CER decision paper on the matter.

http://www.cer.ie/GetAttachment.aspx?id=1355e301-239e-4e5a-b621-aacc076ed008.

Section 2.2 of the document explains the legal basis by which the CER allows the ESB or Eirgrid to acquire an easement under Section 45 of the 1927 Electricity Supply Act.

There is an error, perhaps a deliberate one, in the document.

Eirgrid call it the acquisition of a wayleave. It's not. It's an easement.

Thanks for that clarification loremolis, it was very informative.

The document to which you linked refers to the East-West Interconnector (EWIC) which is a slightly unusual piece of infrastructure. I say it is "unusual" only because unlike all of the Transmission Assets which are owned by ESB Networks, the EWIC is owned by EirGrid.

However that's not relevant. What is relevant is that the legislation to which the CER referred relates only to the powers of Compulsory Purchase Order which were conferred on ESB under the 1927 Act, but rarely if ever used. After the 1999 Act EirGrid now has all the same powers. However, with the exception of the EWIC (the only asset EirGrid owns) EirGrid cannot hold an easement or wayleave for themselves but they given the authority to negotiate all wayleaves and easements for Transmission wayleaves on behalf of ESB Networks.

The rationale for this was to ensure that ESB could not obstruct the development of the Transmission system.

Under normal circumstances ESB Networks serves a wayleave on landowners. The wayleave provides for the power of entry onto land and the erection of such poles and masts that are necessary to construct electricity networks. The wayleave also allows for entry to land for subsequent maintenance. You are right to point out that these wayleaves are not exactly the same as an easement. The wayleave is not entered as a legal encumbrance onto the title of the land, which is the major difference.

However in other ways the terms "wayleave" and "easement" are often used interchangeably.

ESB Networks do not require approval from CER for each easement however. The power to compulsorily acquire land or the use of land does require that CER gives approval (in lieu of the minster in the 1927 act), but some 99% or more of the easements which ESB Networks has acquired are not acquired compulsorily but are acquired by negotiation. None of these require CER approval.

In the case of forestry, there is a specific form of easement which ESB Networks acquires as a standard from commercial forest owners. This places an onus on the forestry operator to maintain certain clearances below the overhead line. In fact this is where I have personally dealt with ESB Networks and hence am familiar with their ways. Unfortunately I was not negotiating the deal on behalf of myself, as I do not own enough land to plant a forest :( I might just about plant a tree or two!! As an aside, I found the ESB Networks staff to be exceptionally courteous and sympathetic in that instance.

Anyway I do know that they did not require CER approval. They based the valuation on a mechanism that they have agreed with IFA & Coillte.

In the case of Ms Treacy, EirGrid could agree a forestry easement quite simply if she would negotiate. There would be no need for CER to be involved. I don't know much about the Ms Treacy land issue, but I'm pretty sure she must have been totally entrenched for the matter to have ended up in court.

Z

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

My question was posed without reference to the ESB, her trees or the work being carried out on her land.

She committed a crime and she is being punished.

Same answer, but I'll reword it, if it makes you happy.

2 months for this particular offence, immediate arrest for a repeat offence.

• Advertisement

To be honest I couldn't care less when she gets out, to me she is a querulous older lady who is causing a silly fuss over something that doesn't require a fuss. I wonder why she is causing such a fuss though, is it sheer pig headness at this stage? Or maybe she is being used and manipulated by some of these people spearheading an emotive campaign built on misinformation. To be honest I really don't care about Teresa Treacy, she is in Mountjoy not Guantanamo Bay and it was the choices she made that got her there. I don't know her, the sob stories and media spin quite frankly makes me gag and I absolutely detest issues being presented as environmental causes when they blatantly are not. So she can stay there indefinitely as far as I'm concerned, as a tax payer it is probably cheaper than holding up the line.

I ask you again, what is your opinion of the real environmental damage being done by the domestic turf cutters particularly in those areas designated as SAC. Do you follow the line of, oh for years we've cut turf here and it is our right? or do you follow the line of this is REAL environmental damage with far reaching impacts and long term consequences and on top of that it could cost us €26,000 a day in fines?

Way to avoid answering a simple question.

This isn't a turf cutting thread but I'll go to the bother of answering your question anyway.

Turf cutting has been carried out in many areas for generation after generation. Possibly hundreds or even thousands of years.

Why not cut their hands off and cut the hands off their children too? That would stop them taking the turf that doesn't belong to them.

Better again, lock them up for an indefinite period of time.

When will she have served enough prison time to earn her right to rejoin society?

This is a really good question. Maybe a solicitor reading this thread will confirm this, but it is my understanding that a person imprisoned for contempt of court cannot be released from prison until they purge themselves.

That was the deal for Liam Lawlor I believe?

The principle is that unless a person recognises the rule of law they are not entitled to the freedom which citizenship bestows. That sounds draconian, and unfortunately it largely can only be applied against people who are honest enough to admit they do not recognise the rule of law, or who refuse an instruction from the judge. Conversely a murderer who is convicted for murder but who serves out his sentence is released from prison even if he clearly is likely to offend again (but has not said so).

Ironically, the quickest way for Ms Treacy to get out of prison (other than agreeing to not prevent access to EirGrid / ESB) is for the contractors to cut down the trees. Once there are no longer trees to protect there is no reason for her to declare that she will prevent access. I think!!

Z

I answered you, I said I don't care she can stay there indefinitely. How can I say any clearer?

You obviously are very shortsighted if you don't understand a real environmental issue such as the impact turf cutting is having on our natural environment. Anyhoo sure keep on doing it because it was always done just like institutional abuse, hiding child abuse because it was always done makes it ok.

Zen65 wrote: »
    Thanks for that clarification loremolis, it was very informative.

The document to which you linked refers to the East-West Interconnector (EWIC) which is a slightly unusual piece of infrastructure. I say it is "unusual" only because unlike all of the Transmission Assets which are owned by ESB Networks, the EWIC is owned by EirGrid.

That must mean the North South Interconnector will be owned by Eirgrid also?
    However that's not relevant. What is relevant is that the legislation to which the CER referred relates only to the powers of Compulsory Purchase Order which were conferred on ESB under the 1927 Act, but rarely if ever used. After the 1999 Act EirGrid now has all the same powers. However, with the exception of the EWIC (the only asset EirGrid owns) EirGrid cannot hold an easement or wayleave for themselves but they given the authority to negotiate all wayleaves and easements for Transmission wayleaves on behalf of ESB Networks.

Not all the same powers.

If you thought the last link was interesting then check the last 7 or so pages of this.

http://www.dcenr.gov.ie/NR/rdonlyres/4319FA63-D2D7-4E76-9A8F-B69016A1B63E/0/FOI20112RequestandReply.pdf

The rationale for this was to ensure that ESB could not obstruct the development of the Transmission system.

Under normal circumstances ESB Networks serves a wayleave on landowners. The wayleave provides for the power of entry onto land and the erection of such poles and masts that are necessary to construct electricity networks. The wayleave also allows for entry to land for subsequent maintenance. You are right to point out that these wayleaves are not exactly the same as an easement. The wayleave is not entered as a legal encumbrance onto the title of the land, which is the major difference.

The problem is that most landowners don't know the difference between an ESB wayleave and a full legal easement. Paricularly when it comes to compensation and the rights of the landowner to plant trees or erect buildings near powerlines.
    However in other ways the terms "waleave" and "easement" are often used interchangeably.

ESB Networks do not require approval from CER for each easement however. The power to compulsorily acquire land or the use of land does require that CER gives approval (in lieu of the minster in the 1927 act), but some 99% or more of the easements which ESB Networks has acquired are not acquired compulsorily but are acquired by negotiation. None of these require CER approval.

IMO they pay way way over the odds to acquire easements by negotiation.

They spend the extra money to avoid the statutory CER approval process which is far more transparent but a lot cheaper in terms of compensation paid.

In the case of forestry, there is a specific form of easement which ESB Networks acquires as a standard from commercial forest owners. This places an onus on the forestry operator to maintain certain clearances below the overhead line. In fact this is where I have personally dealt with ESB Networks and hence am familiar with their ways. Unfortunately I was not negotiating the deal on behalf of myself, as I do not own enough land to plant a forest :( I might just about plant a tree or two!! As an aside, I found the ESB Networks staff to be exceptionally courteous and sympathetic in that instance.

You say "acquires". Do you mean compulsorily acquires?

The "certain clearances" you mention do not exist in the Electricity Supply Acts.

Anyway I do know that they did not require CER approval. They based the valuation on a mechanism that they have agreed with IFA & Coillte.

In the case of Ms Treacy, EirGrid could agree a forestry easement quite simply if she would negotiate. There would be no need for CER to be involved. I don't know much about the Ms Treacy land issue, but I'm pretty sure she must have been totally entrenched for the matter to have ended up in court.

It strikes me as strange that the ESB acquire an easement in some forestry situations but in the case of this woman, they go in on a wayleave even though a wayleave doesn't allow then to take any forestry rights.

IMO they had no right under their Acts to allow them to destroy an existing forest without an easement.

I answered you, I said I don't care she can stay there indefinitely. How can I say any clearer?

You obviously are very shortsighted if you don't understand a real environmental issue such as the impact turf cutting is having on our natural environment. Anyhoo sure keep on doing it because it was always done just like institutional abuse, hiding child abuse because it was always done makes it ok.

Wow!

I hope this makes post of the day.

Comparing turf cutting to institutional child abuse.

The thread is called: The ESB and Eirgrid can go f*ck themselves

I didn't realise that they were institutions involved in that sort of thing.

I'm truely still baffeled at the notion that an old lady refusing to apease the ego of a judge who had already ruled against her is somehow worse than imprisioning her against her will for 3 weeks and counting.

I think you will find I was comparing the attitudes of sure it was always done rather than comparing turf cutting to child abuse. It is the attitude rather than the action.

I am well aware of the thread title and didn't realise using analogies was not allowed if they didn't relate directly to the thread title. Thanks for the tips I'll keep them in mind:)

That must mean the North South Interconnector will be owned by Eirgrid also?

AFAIK they don't own it, because under the Single Electricity Market the N-S interconnector is no longer considered to connect separate systems. EirGrid purchased SONI (the NI System Operator) so they do operate both systems. Each system is regulated separately but they are operated as one.

I think it's a great case of politics meets energy!! :)

Z

You say "acquires". Do you mean compulsorily acquires?

The "certain clearances" you mention do not exist in the Electricity Supply Acts.

No, I don't mean compulsorily. There are very few instances of any state-commercial body (other than the NRA) attempting to make a compulsory purchase of property or rights over property in the last 20 years. I expect Iarnród Eireann were big into it at some stage.

The "clearances" I refer to are not explicitly detailed in legislation (that I am aware of) but are incorporated into each wayleave/easement which is acquired by negotiation.

The 1927 Act gives powers to ESB to cut trees along the route of a power line (section 98) but does not state the criteria. I cannot remember if any subsequent amendment to the 1927 Act ever specified the clearances.
    98.—(1) The Board and also any authorised undertaker may lop or cut any tree, shrub, or hedge which obstructs or interferes with any electric wires of the Board or of such authorised undertaker.

Z

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I expect Iarnród Eireann were big into it at some stage.
    Just to be pedantic :)
    and because it's a very good example of what happens if you don't continue to invest in infrastructure.

we've lost most of the rail network since the founding of the state. (look at the maps / images here)

especially this large image

We even had monorails back in the day.

And besides CIE didnt' start till 1945.

Love this bit there were NIMBY's in 1834 too
    Although a railway between Limerick and Waterford had been authorised as early as 1826 (the same year as Britain's first locomotive-drawn line, the Liverpool and Manchester Railway) it wasn't until 1834 that the first railway was built, the Dublin and Kingstown Railway (D&KR) between Dublin and Kingstown (Dún Laoghaire), a distance of 10 km (6 mi). Due to local opposition the first terminus, Kingstown Harbour, was adjacent to the West Pier. It took a further three years before the line reached the site of the present station.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭drdeadlift

as a citizen of this country i dont want to pay extra for my electric because some eccentric, deranged wealthy land owner. doesnt want trees cut down. trees which she probably only planted when the esb said they planed to go through the field. how many elderly people who are not as well off as this tree hugger will feel the pain of increased fuel costs because of her actions. the trees should be chopped up and distributed among the local elderly underprivigled. this is similar to the tree huggers who stop motorways being built which save lives, just to protect trees. how many people lives or equal to one tree

Deranged and wealthy its her land her character need not come into this.Elderly people will be forking out increased prices this winter the wnkers in esb don't need excuses to increase prices.If people slowed down on the road less would die but they wont Irish drivers are careless.Im not a tree hugger but the tree is just as alive as a person.
    If you owned a nice bit of land,you enjoyed it maybe it was passed down to you im sure you wouldn't welcome the thoughts of the esb waltzing through at their own wish.Too many people are intimidated im glad she stood up for here corner no matter what you think is right or wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭tonsiltickler

Damn. Some tough as nails keyboard warriors on here. For all those saying "she got what she deserved" etc, I absolutely guarantee that if the esb wanted
    to put pylons on your land you'd be giving out stink.

The fact remains, a guard can beat the S*it out of someone and receive a suspended sentence, while an old lady who has cared for her land for years puts up a reasonable protest she gets jailed indefinitely. Something a little off there don't you think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

Peetrik wrote: »
    I'm truely still baffeled at the notion that an old lady refusing to apease the ego of a judge who had already ruled against her is somehow worse than imprisioning her against her will for 3 weeks and counting.

She believes in something passionately and was protecting it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭drdeadlift

Damn. Some tough as nails keyboard warriors on here. For all those saying "she got what she deserved" etc, I absolutely guarantee that if the esb wanted

The fact remains, a guard can beat the S*it out of someone and receive a suspended sentence, while an old lady who has cared for her land for years puts up a reasonable protest she gets jailed indefinitely. Something a little off there don't you think?

spot on,it who you know what you work at what family your from.Country is as bent as a unail.

we've lost most of the rail network since the founding of the state. (look at the maps / images here)

especially this large image

We even had monorails back in the day.

Those are great links. We could probably never rebuild the railways we once had, unless the laws around private ownership of land are changed totally. The "modern Ireland" practices of allowing badly planned ribbon housing development and one-off houses has left our island devoid of essential infrastructural corridors, so we are dependant on roadways and cars. At an individual level the impact of this might not be noticed (until the day when our new motorways have reached capacity and they become notorious for traffic-jams) but in terms of Ireland's attractiveness as a location for investment it's a substantial flaw.

The recent announcement by Google of its intention to expand operations in Ireland is an example of how the provision of infrastructure determines where companies invest. South Dublin Co Council have invested a lot of money to establish the Grangecastle business park, and they have ensured that there is ample provision for road, telecoms and electricity networks. If any one landowner had blocked the provision of these services to the park then there would not have been adequate infrastructure and Google may have simply looked elsewhere. Tax levels alone do not attract investment by multi-nationals, as anyone who works in the IDA knows. Many people don't make the connection that blocking national infrastructure directly affects employment in the country.

I don't know why EirGrid sought to build the 110kV line in Tullamore that crosses Ms Treacy's land, but I'm pretty sure it is not the whim of some daft EirGrid planner. Failure to complete the line is undoubtedly adversely affecting some business somewhere, and not affecting EirGrid themselves as they don't actually use the electricity that they transport around the country.

Z

I fail to understand why there is so much being made of the "old lady" tag in this case. Do we really believe that age & gender should determine how the law is applied??

Nobody sympathizes with elderly men being prosecuted because of what they may have done in their younger days. Nor should they sympathize.

It really does seem to me that the pro-tree campaigners recognise that the case is fundamentally weak, and that playing the "old lady" card somehow strengthens a weak argument.

Z

PS: Let me apologise now in case my comment here in any way offends the elderly. I genuinely do not mean anything offensive by it. I am looking forward to joining your club in the near future!

I fail to understand why there is so much being made of the "old lady" tag in this case.

The same reason the 'sod the envoirnment' side would be all too vocal if it was a tattooed cage fighter whos rights were being abused. You can deny it if you like but people do make character assumptions based on age and gender.

Ill rephrase if you like...

I'm truely still baffeled at the notion that someone refusing to apease the ego of a judge who had already ruled against them is somehow worse than imprisioning them against their will for 3 weeks and counting.

No I wouldn't because I am not a NIMBY, the cable must go somewhere or else you are going to be trying to generate your own to access the internet if you think about it. Please don't bring out the undergrounding line as it has been proven to be non-runner from every angle.

To be politically correct she is an older person at 65, could still be working as some people do at 65 and also it is etremely ageist the way people keep talking about her as though she is somehow mentally incapable and physically frail because she is 65. I would find that far more insulting if I were her. If it makes you feel any better she was only 62 at most when she first started arguing with the ESB. So she may be 65 but I'd feel the same no matter what age she is, you want government etc to pay for mistakes well that also applies to Ms Treacy.

The same reason the 'sod the envoirnment' side would be all too vocal if it was a tattooed cage fighter whos rights were being abused. You can deny it if you like but people do make character assumptions based on age and gender.

Ill rephrase if you like...

I'm truely still baffeled at the notion that someone refusing to apease the ego of a judge who had already ruled against them is somehow worse than imprisioning them against their will for 3 weeks and counting.
    Your post doesn't make much sense but again just to reiterate "her rights" have not been abused. This line went through the planning system in 2006 and again in 2008. There is no record on the publically accessible files of an objection from Ms Treacy so she didn't take the oportunity to use the system to fight for her rights as you see them.

• Advertisement

Your post doesn't make much sense

Ill try to help you understand what I mean...

Which is worse?
    1) A judge to feel insulted
    2) An old woman to be imprisioned for 3 weeks and counting

Advertisement