Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer questions you'd be embarrassed to ask any where else!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

untitle.JPG

You just weren't listening!

:p:pac:

Do you have it in your Head that you're gonna break something? If you do, forget it and you'll pick stuff up far quicker. You can't break anything that a reinstall won't fix.

Got my Da online few years back, flying at it now.

I don't agree with you there RF. We seniors do listen, blah!:p but the person doing the teaching needs to teach it (a) the way the senior will understand it and (b) by using just a bit more patience would be nice too. On the other hand I do agree with you when you encourage us to relax and we will learn quicker. Seniors will relax when juniors chillax. Well done with your dad by the way! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭RUCKING FETARD

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Done. And done. Thank you for that. Now another Boards problem. I have one notification for a new post on one of my followed threads, the little white square with the little red No. 1 in it beside my username. When I click on that, no new threads show up. Sorry I know these are Boards questions and not necessarily a computer question.
    That's a Bug with the new layout. The Tech guys know and are working on it.

You can report stuff like that to them here if you want. Think it's mentioned in that thread already...if it's not then it's in this one somewhere, can't remember where I read it.

Do ye guys know about flux, it dims the brightness of your screen down automatically when it starts to get dark.

http://stereopsis.com/flux/

Godsend for the auld eyes!

I used the search on the Thread and it didn't find it mentioned anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

Do ye guys know about flux, it dims the brightness of your screen down automatically when it starts to get dark.

http://stereopsis.com/flux/

Godsend for the auld eyes!

I used the search on the Thread and it didn't find it mentioned anyway.

Fcek off :mad:
    Im still working on my multi quotes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭poppyvally

How do I delete private messages from facebook :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

On your Facebook page click Messages. (Left side of the screen, just under your profile pic). THat will open a list of all your previous messages.
    Select the conversation you want to remove. When that new page opens at the top of the screen you'll see the Actions button. There is a delete option in that dropdown list.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

OldGoat wrote: »
    On your Facebook page click Messages. (Left side of the screen, just under your profile pic). THat will open a list of all your previous messages.
    Select the conversation you want to remove. When that new page opens at the top of the screen you'll see the Actions button. There is a delete option in that dropdown list.

Thanks oldgoat. I got it eventually

Now folks, bear in mind that the last time I wore head phones, I was listening to a cassette walkman.

I used to love listening to books on tape. Today I saw an ad on tv for audable books for listening to on "your iPhone, Mp3 and android".

Now..obviously, I dont have any of those yokes but I like the idea of listening to books again. So I need an Mp3 I think? Thats the thing that looks like a small phone with ear phones yes?
    How do I get books for this thing if I get one?
    Im genuinely thick when it comes to this type of thing, so please...tell me in plain English..What'll I get and where will I get it?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,091 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Chucken wrote: »
    Now folks, bear in mind that the last time I wore head phones, I was listening to a cassette walkman.

I used to love listening to books on tape. Today I saw an ad on tv for audable books for listening to on "your iPhone, Mp3 and android".

Now..obviously, I dont have any of those yokes but I like the idea of listening to books again. So I need an Mp3 I think? Thats the thing that looks like a small phone with ear phones yes?
    How do I get books for this thing if I get one?
    Im genuinely thick when it comes to this type of thing, so please...tell me in plain English..What'll I get and where will I get it?

An iPhone is a phone made by Apple and android is an operating system used on various different phones, so you may actually might have one of these if you have a touchscreen phone.

the MP3 they were referring to is an MP3 player, which can look like a small phone - well sort of - but yes that's what that is. It can be used for audio books or music etc.

Now you don't actually need to go and buy one of them to listen to the books, people just use them as their portable for when their out & about, exercising, etc.

So you don't need anything other than your laptop/PC to listen to the audio books, you just need the audio book itself, which is usually in MP3 format - hence an MP3 player

you'll need to download the audio books, some can be free others you'll need to buy, so you'll need a credit card or something similar for these.

these are some website's that have audio books, you can google for more, but if you download the file you can play it & listen to it from your laptop/PC without buying anything else.

http://www.audiobooks.ie/

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?

http://www.booksshouldbefree.com/

Thanks a million :)

The childer informed me that they bought me an MP3 player last year :pac:
    Obviously I had great regard for it :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

That's just choice Chuckie! I can just see yer kids rollin' their eyes! I get that all the time. :D:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,208 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

yes, no 10 in the most asked questions "just add your add your URL address " what?
    how do i get the photos to open, all i get is attachment which people have to click on to see it,
    not as easy as adverts ,i just click on the photo for my adds, and bingo!
    cant do it on boards!

nig1 wrote: »
    yes, no 10 in the most asked questions "just add your add your URL address " what?
    how do i get the photos to open, all i get is attachment which people have to click on to see it,
    not as easy as adverts ,i just click on the photo for my adds, and bingo!
    cant do it on boards!
    URL is the address of the page/thing you want to link, so this page is http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056400156&page=17

Scroll up to the top and you'll see it in your address bar ^^^.

You want to link pics from you computer is it? You have to attach them first using the paperclip icon attach.gifwhen your writing you post. Find and upload your pic and a link will appear in that Manage Attachments window, click that to open the pic and you'll have your URL to link to using insertimage.gif.

If this is jibberish to read back I'll throw up a few pics for ya. You can test out doing in the test Forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭christmas2010

Looking for a bit of advice on how to store photos. I have a few thousand family photos at this stage.
    I need to take them off my laptop as they're slowing it down. I have them on an external hard drive but would like them somewhere else as well due to huge sentimental value

I'm told I should store them on a cloud system but am a bit vague about that. Any help or suggestions appreciated. Thanks

How many GBs you talking? What size is it?

Edit:Here's a good list of few free ones, it's not even an exhaustive list either, theirs more of them.

Referral Thread
    Referral Thread

Paid option from Currys
    Paid option from Carbonite (unlimited size)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,208 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

In case anybody is wondering ,what the f... is this , i just uploaded my first picture thanks to RUCKING FETARD. thanks
    (not that straightforward)

Mod Edit: I deleted your picture post. There is a Test forum (http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=361) for testing.

^^^Well Done! Their is abit to it alright till you get the hang of it.

I linked to a tool a few pages back http://myimgur.tk/ that you could try out aswell, same principal really, you upload to imgur instead and then link back here.

Biggest benefit is you have more control of the pics, after two days if you want to delete a pic you upload onto Boards (or somewhere else), you'll need a Mod to do it, by uploading it to an imgur account if you delete it from there, it goes from here aswell.

If you want to resize a pic, this is the thing! Can be a bit slow but very handy.

http://imageresizer.codeplex.com/

Looking for a bit of advice on how to store photos. I have a few thousand family photos at this stage.
    I need to take them off my laptop as they're slowing it down. I have them on an external hard drive but would like them somewhere else as well due to huge sentimental value

I'm told I should store them on a cloud system but am a bit vague about that. Any help or suggestions appreciated. Thanks

using cloud storage basically means that you can upload your photo's, files etc. to the website/provider and be able to view/download them from any computer you have internet access on.
    So you could put your photo's on it, go to someone house use their computer & show them your photos without bringing your laptop.

There are a lot of free cloud storage providers such as Dropbox or you could already have access to cloud storage with your email account, these will save you the bother of creating a new account on a different website too if you don't like doing that.

if you use gmail you'll have access to google drive which gives you 5GB free storage or if you're using hotmail you'll have access to SkyDrive which gives new users 7GB free i think.

You could also buy a flash drive (USB key/pen) and store them on that

Why do you think they're slowing down your laptop?
    I'd say it's something else rather than the photo's that's the cause of it, if the capacity of your hard drive is quite full >70% you should defrag it

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

Here's a question .I was looking at the metal bits on an sd card and wondered how the information held or stored ?A dvd is a groove with a burn mark on it but metal has me really puzzled .Does the information stay as what and as binary numbers which are abstract .What is the mark on the metal that is the information .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

SD cards are made up of NAND chips, NAND being a type of logic gate. An explanation of logic gates and their operation is a bit beyond the goals of this thread. A concise synopsis of their operation is here and for a more complete explanation you should try asking in the Computers and Technology forum.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

can someone tell me in simple language how to scan a photo to my computer. I've googled it, but they assume you know so much already, that I get lost in jargon. They do my head!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,056 ✭✭✭✭looksee

When you say scan, are you talking about a printed photograph and using a scanner?

That varies slightly with the scanner you are using, but generally if you put the photo face down on the scanner glass and switch the machine on you will get detailed instructions of how to do it. Tell us what kind of set up - scanner etc, you have, or what exactly you are trying to do.

looksee wrote: »
    When you say scan, are you talking about a printed photograph and using a scanner?

That varies slightly with the scanner you are using, but generally if you put the photo face down on the scanner glass and switch the machine on you will get detailed instructions of how to do it. Tell us what kind of set up - scanner etc, you have, or what exactly you are trying to do.

Thanks L/S, its a hp deskjet1050 I just want to scan photos on to a file

• Registered Users Posts: 28,056 ✭✭✭✭looksee

This is going to be a bit difficult, remembering all the options without being able to see what is happening! If anyone wants to get involved please do so.

So can we assume that you have the scanner plugged into power, and also you have a cable between the computer and the scanner.

Then press the power button and you should get signs of life.

I have just typed a load of instructions, then it occurred to me to check the actual manual which is here http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c02227094.pdf

Click 'print and scan' and get the info on pages 25 and 26.

Now, if you have got that far and you are still stuck, can you tell us exactly what you are stuck on? Otherwise it will seem more complicated than it need be.

Can anyone on my friends list delete a photo on my page? on facebook

poppyvally wrote: »
    Can anyone on my friends list delete a photo on my page? on facebook

if you posted the photo then no.

Microsoft Security Essentials has been on my pc for many months and doing a great job but i've noticed it has'nt been doing auto.update on start-up (config.) so i've re-installed it and waiting ....thought others might have this problem .

paddyandy wrote: »
    Microsoft Security Essentials has been on my pc for many months and doing a great job but i've noticed it has'nt been doing auto.update on start-up (config.) so i've re-installed it and waiting ....thought others might have this problem .
    Same, every now and then it needed a reinstall for some reason.

Giving Avast a go at the min.

• Advertisement

Same, every now and then it needed a reinstall for some reason.

Giving Avast a go at the min.

It's not auto updating at start up having been re-installed .I'll leave it and see if it will though;sometimes things sort themselves out somehow .

Advertisement