Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer questions you'd be embarrassed to ask any where else!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Galen wrote: »
    It sounds to me that you have a internet explorer bug. Google chrome uses a different version & type of flash to Firefox or internet explorer so that rules out flash. Firefox & Google Chrome route all traffic through internet explorer so I think you need to visit your local computer repair guy or gal.

Load of rubbish. Firefox and chrome don't magically route traffic anywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Flash is crashing, try use the html5 youtube player http://www.youtube.com/html5

• Registered Users Posts: 28,057 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Load of rubbish. Firefox and chrome don't magically route traffic anywhere

Mod: Thank you for your contribution, your expertise is appreciated, however please note that we try and use less excitable language in here.

tldr - mind your manners.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭Alice1

*Ali peers in, sees place empty. Decides to type question quickly and run*

Can somebody / anybody explain to me (in plain English) what exactly is "Handcent"? Got a new phone and tis way too fancy for me...

Its some sort of messaging system :D I only know that because I thought 'ah no, she means 'handset' and looked it up. Life is getting very complicated. God be with the days you sent a postcard.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Galen

Sorry folks, I seldom use windows since they released Vista. All my computers now use Linux Mint. I got my wires crossed, I was thinking of dial-up networking not flash. That and other settings were accessible through internet explorer, so don't shoot me the memory is rusty.

I don't know if this affects windows but in Linux, Google Chrome uses it's own version of flash encapsulated within it while Firefox uses the version of flash you've installed on you system. That's why I would suspect the system and research the fault in that area.

Any who, good luck. I'm off for a coffee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Himself is thinking about getting a new computer (our umpteenth!) as our old one is slowing down and giving us problems. At this stage I'm just horrified at the cost of all this IT stuff in the house. I fancied a little laptop for myself but my daughter's second laptop has just died within another short space of time (18 mths), they seem to just burn out very quickly. So just wondering if I should just take over our old computer for me, and then himself could buy a new computer for his own use. We already have an external drive on this yoke. What to do? I'm in a quandry and need advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

If the old one is working then take it over, if it is slow clean it out of stuff that is slowing it down. (If you can't do it yourself a computer repair place can do it for you and a lot more cheaply than buying a new one)

Look up a nearby place in the phone book (or on the web if you want) Get in touch and ask a price before you go there though, if you can, get a couple of quotes from different places.

No need to throw away an old computer if it is still usable, unless you are feeling a bit flash with the cash.

EDIT: Make sure that you safeguard the stuff you want to keep in your external drive before you start though. If the comp is slow for some hardware reasons, you can always get a new hard drive and/or motherboard fitted for a lot less than an entire new computer would cost you.

Thanks Rubes. As himself is pretty IT savvy he will probably do what is necessary. Our attic is fast becoming a computer graveyard! Think I will give up the laptop idea, they seem to be a waste of money.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

More a Net Question if i may go a little off topic ...When you are watching something on the Internet they know we are there the question is .What information about our computers can they access . For instance i've had cards on screen describing information on the system i use .What else though .Say a really big firm a newspaper or tv station ...is there a limit to what they can read . thanks .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭RUCKING FETARD

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Thanks Rubes. As himself is pretty IT savvy he will probably do what is necessary. Our attic is fast becoming a computer graveyard! Think I will give up the laptop idea, they seem to be a waste of money.
    Get a Desktop, with a good Power supply unit and Motherboard (the big green complicated as hell looking yoke:pac:) you can get a good 8 years outta one-->with a small upgrade every now and then.

Answer all these questions in a new Thread in this Forum and lads there will put you together a build on this site, brilliant site.

paddyandy wrote: »
    More a Net Question if i may go a little off topic ...When you are watching something on the Internet they know we are there the question is .What information about our computers can they access . For instance i've had cards on screen describing information on the system i use .What else though .Say a really big firm a newspaper or tv station ...is there a limit to what they can read . thanks .
    Oh jolly, individual websites, not so much, your Browser and your ip and if you followed a link to them, that sorta thing, but they pair up with companys out there now call Data Harvesters, they know loads, loads!

They put files called Cookie and Beacons on your computer, lets say yours is 1234567, using that along with web bugs and other tracking software they can follow you around the Web, well not you but 1234567.

So say if you go to Boards.ie, Facebook.com, Amazon.co.uk, Askmen.com, B&Q, Top Gear, Fianna Fail etc etc, they can start to put together a profile of you, like,

Male, hetrosexual, rough age group, into DIY, like Cars, blah blah.

They can parcel up this profile of 1234567 and sell it to Ad Companys and it's so advanced now that if you open the same site on two computers (yours and your sisters say) the ad companys can put a Dulux Weathershield ad displayed on a site you visit (cuz you looked at B&Q) and maybe Make-up on your sisters.

http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/collusion/
    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703940904575395073512989404.html
    http://adblockplus.org/en/
    http://noscript.net/
    http://www.superantispyware.com/
    http://www.ghostery.com/

Some light reading.:pac:

Thanks R.Fetard .I rarely have a security problem but i got a full screen page warning me about pishing and i thought the windows colours did'nt look quite right so i declined to click the proceed panel .I was blocked out but no hurry it was gone the following day .I still worried though but i've new adjustments made .A very rare experience for me & i'm aware of the damage it might have done .Well explained post thanks again .

Thanks R.Fetard .I rarely have a security problem but i got a full screen page warning me about pishing and i thought the windows colours did'nt look quite right so i declined to click the proceed panel .I was blocked out but no hurry it was gone the following day .I still worried though but i've new adjustments made .A very rare experience for me & i'm aware of the damage it might have done .Well explained post thanks again .
    Your Browser will give you with a big full screen warning before accessing known Malware ridden sites. As long as you say no or cancel the page you'll be grand.

50,000 sites hacked in the last week and abit with a new exploit so you'll probably see it again.

If worried you can run these

http://www.superantispyware.com/ (from above)
    http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/malwarebytes_free/

and whatever your anti-virus is, update and run.

Your Browser will give you with a big full screen warning before accessing known Malware ridden sites. As long as you say no or cancel the page you'll be grand.

50,000 sites hacked in the last week and abit with a new exploit so you'll probably see it again.

If worried you can run these

http://www.superantispyware.com/ (from above)
    http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/malwarebytes_free/

and whatever your anti-virus is, update and run.
    I FORGOT to mention i was trying to get into Hotmail when this Fullscreen warning appeared but when i finally got in the following day there was nothing ...no sign that suggested any trouble in the mail .
    .Super anti thing now installed .The logo looked incomplete on the warning .

Re the advertising mentioned by RF, I recently looked up a product and checked out a particular site for a bricks and mortar shop in the UK. Subsequently I am getting ads for this particular product from this specific shop on a regular basis.

I find this counter productive as I had already made a decision on the information I got from that shop, so continuously advertising it just makes me feel stalked, it certainly would not encourage me to go back there.

I am loathe to part with information unless i really must .Nobody gets info. and my accounts have very misleading information about me ,

I am loathe to part with information unless i really must .Nobody gets info. and my accounts have very misleading information about me ,

But that's just it, I didn't part with any information! I didn't buy from them, just passed through their website - spooky :eek:

I FORGOT to mention i was trying to get into Hotmail when this Fullscreen warning appeared but when i finally got in the following day there was nothing ...no sign that suggested any trouble in the mail .
    .Super anti thing now installed .The logo looked incomplete on the warning .
    Hmm, you shouldn't see it on Hotmail, if the 3 scanners find nothing and it happens again take a pic of it. Incomplete Logos doesn't sound right.

Boards has a Virus Forum here.

Those scanners, though very good, can miss dodgy Browser addons and nasty viruses called Rootkits-->better off reinstalling windows than trying to get rid of these.

Though they're usually way more in your Face than a warning screen so I'm not sure whats going on there.
    looksee wrote: »
    Re the advertising mentioned by RF, I recently looked up a product and checked out a particular site for a bricks and mortar shop in the UK. Subsequently I am getting ads for this particular product from this specific shop on a regular basis.

I find this counter productive as I had already made a decision on the information I got from that shop, so continuously advertising it just makes me feel stalked, it certainly would not encourage me to go back there.
    Super-Antispyware is very good at getting rid of all the stuff sites install to follow you. Use it every now and then for a clean out.

Cookies themselves are no harm, helps a good site to remember you, I haven't had to log in on Boards in yonks, or if I go to Amazon, what I was thinking about buying yesterday will be in the previously looked at section saving me having to go looking for it again.

Ad-block will stop you seeing all ads except for the non-intrusive ones, you can block them aswell if you want but the programmers thinking was to get rid of all the singing and dancing ones that ruin a browsing experience not to completely ruin a sites funding, you'll need to be using Firefox or chrome to install it.

I turn it off on the sites I like and use alot, like Boards, yeieeee:P, you just have to click, in Firefox anyway, Tools, Adblock, Disable on Boards.ie-->while you are on a boards page.

The other stuff I linked explain themselves well.

Edit:Actually most of the other Browsers have adblock capabilities aswell, I don't use them much so don't know how well they work.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭the bolt

how do i copy an add from donedeal to boards?im a regular lurker on bangernomics and often wonder how its done.:confused:

the bolt wrote: »
    how do i copy an add from donedeal to boards?im a regular lurker on bangernomics and often wonder how its done.:confused:
    Do you mean just a link and a pic? I went back 3 pages and that's all I see them using.

If you look up at the top of your screen now you'll see something like http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056400156&page=16 in the address bar, to link to a page on DoneDeal you just copy (right click on it and it'll all highlight and click on the word copy that appears) and paste that on here.

For a pic
    10. How can I insert pictures in my posts?
    This is also very easy to do, and very similar to number 9 above:
    1. You don't have to have anything written in the Message box to embed a picture. Text can be entered before or after you insert a picture into your post
    2. Click the little square yellow box with tony mountains in the foreground. It looks like this: insertimage.gif
    3. In the box that says "Please enter the URL of your image:", paste in the URL of the picture you want to embed in your post, and click OK

From here, to get a pics URL you just right click on it and click "copy image location".

Or to be really smart/play around with other ways, use something like sharex or Myimgur

• Advertisement

I stand corrected about the tracking by number, seems if you log into Facebook or Google+, they can track you by name now.:eek:

http://www.thehindu.com/sci-tech/internet/article3642737.ece

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭poppyvally

I want to put Dusty Springfield in my avatar. How do I go about it?

poppyvally wrote: »
    I want to put Dusty Springfield in my avatar. How do I go about it?
    You'll have to subscribe to put a decent pic in as your Avatar, theirs free ones here but they're not great.
    Subscribing

We also offer the option of a paid subscription to boards.ie so as to gain some special extras, which would be otherwise unavailable. These include:
    • Custom avatars (90x90, non-animated)
    • Username changes
    • Access to the sex and sexuality forum
    • Custom tagline
    • Different coloured user stars
    • Increased PM space, 5000 instead of 500
    • Access to subscribers and First Class lounge forums
    • Ability to PM larger numbers of users at once, 15 instead of 5
    • Ads can be turned off from your User CP

You can get the benefits of these for the minimum of 1 month, which includes the name change option.

The current prices are:

1 year - €50
    3 months - €13
    1 month - €5

To arrange this, go to:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/payments.php

Currently the only payment option is through Paypal.

It's hit and miss if you can keep your Avatar after your Sub ends, some get to keep it and some lose it.

I made a mistake and changed my view of Boards to the old one and I want to change it back to the new one. Help me please, I'm all dizzy now. I likes the new one better. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Goto the UserCP.
    In the Column down the lefthand side you'll find a group of links under the "Settings & Options" title.
    Click the Edit Options link.
    When that open scroll right to the bottom of the page and you'll see the Forum Skin selection dropdown list. Make your choice from there.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

As above, forum default is the one you want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭poppyvally

I'm happy to have come across this forum, as i thought I was the dopiest p/c user. My children try to help me out, but they expect me to get it all 1st go! I have to keep reminding them that THEY grew up with this technology but I am trying to come to grips with it in my golden years Anyone else feel this way about their offspring? They mean well but it's " mam i showed you that yesterday" tut..tut

Been there too Poppy. Come on in, we understand your pain. :)

OldGoat wrote: »
    Goto the UserCP.
    In the Column down the lefthand side you'll find a group of links under the "Settings & Options" title.
    Click the Edit Options link.
    When that open scroll right to the bottom of the page and you'll see the Forum Skin selection dropdown list. Make your choice from there.
    mp22 wrote: »
    As above, forum default is the one you want.

Done. And done. Thank you for that. Now another Boards problem. I have one notification for a new post on one of my followed threads, the little white square with the little red No. 1 in it beside my username. When I click on that, no new threads show up. Sorry I know these are Boards questions and not necessarily a computer question.

• Advertisement

poppyvally wrote: »
    I'm happy to have come across this forum, as i thought I was the dopiest p/c user. My children try to help me out, but they expect me to get it all 1st go! I have to keep reminding them that THEY grew up with this technology but I am trying to come to grips with it in my golden years Anyone else feel this way about their offspring? They mean well but it's " mam i showed you that yesterday" tut..tut
    untitle.JPG

You just weren't listening!

:p:pac:

Do you have it in your Head that you're gonna break something? If you do, forget it and you'll pick stuff up far quicker. You can't break anything that a reinstall won't fix.

Got my Da online few years back, flying at it now.

Advertisement