Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer questions you'd be embarrassed to ask any where else!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,107 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Thanks folks, suspected lack of power might have been the issue, as the case of this has a 5v input.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭jj880

Here's mine for reference. You'd be surprised what you'll find on your old 3.5 HDDs.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭windowcills

Run a scan of the drive with treesize free, this will show the big folders and bypass file ownership issues

• Registered Users Posts: 11,623 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Treesize such a great app..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

I started a new job recently and I have a new email address .... and its really bugging me that it takes so long to type and then I have to double check & triple check that I got it right , whenever Im filling out online forms etc (yeah, first world problems! lol)

Anyway, is there a Chrome / Windows 10 text shortcut / auto-correct / substitution I can do (like my mobile phone does with Personal Dictionary) so i can type 'email' and it automatically becomes Rider@boards.oulwans.oulfellas.com (or whatever.....) ???

CAVE: I cant install anything on my PC as its a work one and I dont have access

please n thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,030 ✭✭✭✭Esel

You could create a .TXT file using Notepad or similar which contains your email address.

When you need to enter your email address into a form, do the following:

Open the TXT file and copy the contents to the clipboard

Return to the form and paste

Probably better to just get used to typing the address correctly though.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

lol .... yea, im sure it will be second nature soon, when muscle memory takes over. Ta Esel!

Keeping a txt file with stock replies is very handy or emails. It's a double click cut and paste with no error. Big time saver.

I usually automate stuff, but its a quick workaround if you can't do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,111 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Maybe I'm missing something here but on online forms I click in the space, or type in the first letter of my name /address/ email and it gives me the option of filling it in automatically. I am not seeing any security issues here, passwords I decide which ones will be remembered but public stuff like my name and address are there.

(laptop, Windows 10,11, Chrome, Brave)

That's a setting in the browser to remember forms, it's a cookie. Some places might set that to be cleared after the browser closes. Or it might be disabled. Data protection and all that.

• Advertisement

The trick with setting up an email system is to pick the shortest, available, sensable domain name, then for names use first 3 letters from surname and first letter of firstname so insead of

Thomas.farnell@larryowentechnicians.eu

It would be just

Fart@lot.eu

Much easier to type and remember

Its pretty fast and cheap to move to a new domain and address if there in only a few accounts

But if your only new there its best not to upset the apple cart

Post edited by windowcills on

• Registered Users Posts: 45,836 ✭✭✭✭muffler

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,444 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

All the O' and the Ó do. There's hundreds. 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Jellybaby_1

"so insead of Thomas.farnell@larryowentechnicians.eu

It would be just

Fart@lot.eu"

Nearly fell off me chair laughing!

I bought a new Asus Vivobook recently, about a month ago, and since I bought it it advertises McAfee at me every time I open it (fairly large pop up window bottom right corner). I told the guy in the shop that I didn't want it, and he went from being very helpful to aghast that I did not want it, evidently his commission must have been worth looking for. The laptop is not going to be told.

Initially I just closed it with the x, but it persisted, so eventually I said 'I'll take the risk' but still it comes, we have done the complete countdown - 'this offer ceases in x days'; its currently doing 'Black Monday' bargains at me. Presumably it will move onto Christmas gift bargains. Is there any way I can stop it? Right click does not do anything.

Not much of a problem in the scheme of things but it annoys me.

Post edited by looksee on

Say you had a curtain business, operating online as drapesdrawn.ie, and you were looking to set up a company email address that your business & 10 employees could use. Your business is getting well set up, so you want more than the likes of drapesdrawn7 @ gmail. com so you set up your own drapesdrawn domain, and your company’s main email might now typically be sales @ drapesdrawn . ie and a staff business email might be michaeldunne @ drapesdrawn . ie

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,349 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

The ASUS Viobook comes preinstalled with a McAfee Antive-virus called LiveSafe. Like most personal AV programs its free for an arbitrary length of time and then you start getting annoying reminders to buy the full suite. The funny thing is modern windows comes with Antivirus preinstalled. Its called Microsoft Defender so you don't need additional anti-virus.

To get rid of the reminder:

Right click on your Start button, then pick Apps and Features at the top. This will bring up a list of all installed software. Type McAfee into the search box, and then click on each item and click uninstall. Once it is uninstalled, the Windows Defender should automatically turn back on.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,769 ✭✭✭✭phog

Not really a computer question but I have a smart power adapter that I should be able to manage over WiFi, the problem is, I can't connect it to the WiFi.

I've switched off the 5GHz in the modem. The modem, the adapter and my phone are all in the same room but it still won't connect.

Is there a way to force it to connect to my WiFi

• Advertisement

I didn't entirely realise McAfee was installed, I thought it was just selling it. Thanks, sorted.

Why did you turn off the 5Ghz on your router?

What make and model of Smart power plug is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,769 ✭✭✭✭phog

It's a BG Smart adaptor and it was recommended to switch off the 5GHz to ensure the adaptor would pick up the 2.4GHz

Edit. I might actually try the 5GHz and see would that help

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭cnoc

Is it safe to use a 60W power lead on a 45W laptop charger

TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

If the plug fits and the polarity and voltage are the same, then yes

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭cnoc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭Breezy_

Ive a roborock S7 that only connects/works right with 2.4ghz. it seems to be a thing.

the 2.4Ghz has better range, so it should pick it up without disabling 5Ghz. But certainly disabling 5 can be useful for troubleshooting.

Oh sure, I know. To be honest, I was just making sure the poster wasn't confusing 5Ghz and 5G.

Despite published and adhered to standards, all manner of smart devices have their foibles and preferences with connectivity.

I used to work for a company that was developing an IoT device. We tested it with about a hundred wireless Access Points. Sent it out to the client and it didnt work. Their AP was not on our list of tested devices and for whatever reason, it just refused to connect to it. Not quite "back to the drawing board", but it was an additional 6 weeks of investigation and then patching the firmware to get it to work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭wandererz

Perhaps try connecting it to another WiFi device if you have one.

Or turn on WiFi sharing on a mobile phone just to see that it can actually connect to WiFi and there isn't a problem with the device itself.

Another option is to create another 2.4Ghz SSID on your router. Use WPA (not WPA 2). Give it a short name and a relatively simple password - just to test. If you can define the dns setting just for this SSID then set it to 8.8.8.8.

Advertisement