Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter Charts 2011/2012

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

I prefer this one :)
    cyclone.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Going a bit OT here but that first coaster looks fucking savage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭nelly17

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

ITS NEW RUN TIME! :D

... Think i have a problem :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

nelly17 wrote: »

.....pretty disturbing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,494 ✭✭✭bb1234567

nelly17 wrote: »

why would anyone ride something that made go them go unconscious:p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Iancar29 wrote: »
    ITS NEW RUN TIME! :D

... Think i have a problem :rolleyes:

The 12z operational run was quite the mild outlier in the ensembles there!
    182601.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭aurora 527

[URL="javascript: viewimage(1);"]uksnowrisk.png[/URL]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

18z GFS has what looks like Atlantic Blocking setting up at 240hrs

182637.png

Only to have the high end up as another euro high at the end of the run. :mad:

182638.png

:mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭jimmy.d

some cold showing up on 204hr with some snow involved

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Me likes :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    MTC has been talking about an outbreak of cold weather in the week before or during the Christmas period.

Can't believe i am about to say this :eek:

As long as it doesn't snow in the days leading up to Christmas then the cold weather is fine with me. I've got a very early flight out of DUB on the 21st of Dec taking me on my Christmas holiday safari to Kenya and Tanzania and will be devestated if i end up snow bound at DUB :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,636 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

mel.b wrote: »
    Christmas holiday safari to Kenya and Tanzania and will be devestated if i end up snow bound at DUB :(

That sounds like a great trip - was in Kenya myself earlier this year and had a great time with spectacular wildlife,scenery and weather!!!:D:cool:

PS: The Jet stream looks like heading a bit further south next week so should make for more "interesting" weather;)

Never seen so much black on a chart before!!! End of the world! :P

182731.png

• Registered Users Posts: 5,494 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Never seen so much black on a chart before!!! End of the world! :P

182731.png
    is that chart you posted showing wind strengths and not temperatures?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

bb1234567 wrote: »

Pressure systems

Here is the Temps

182732.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

The chart posted is surface pressure and 500 hPa heights (geopotential). It's a classic example of positive NAO, with low pressure over Iceland and high pressure over the Azores.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,883 ✭✭✭pauldry

Is this purely FI or not but I was wondering if there is a link to a chart that shows the chart like the ones above for xmas day 2011. Or is that a thread too far? Xmas Day Chart FI or otherwise that would be updated on each run with members here posting the image (since i cant)

You see in a real xmassy mood since the little uns seen santy today.

for those of you that hate the word xmas CHRIST!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,508 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Need something called Extreme Fantasy Island (EFI) or something :D

thurs00-1.gif

pauldry wrote: »
    Is this purely FI or not but I was wondering if there is a link to a chart that shows the chart like the ones above for xmas day 2011. Or is that a thread too far? Xmas Day Chart FI or otherwise that would be updated on each run with members here posting the image (since i cant)

You see in a real xmassy mood since the little uns seen santy today.

for those of you that hate the word xmas CHRIST!!

You could get the CFS charts for christmas day, it'll be another week or two before the GFS goes out that far.

• Advertisement

182764.png

182765.png

Brief northerly in 18z GFS

182766.png

8C 850's over Iceland in mid December :eek:

:pac:

Yeah sorry, as su campu said, it's pressure.
    Pressure so low you can't see Iceland any more!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

182764.png

182765.png

Brief northerly in 18z GFS

182768.png

What the difference in the control run on the 18Z and the run you just put up ?

EDIT , just noticed one is GFS and the other is GEFS

Scandi High building ?

182771.png

Some difference in the GFS and the GEFS
    182772.png

Scandi high wouldn't be great with no scandi cold . . .it'd take forever for the cold to come the whole way from russia!

Scandi high wouldn't be great with no scandi cold . . .it'd take forever for the cold to come the whole way from russia!

Its looks like the cold trickles in from greenland over the top of scandi HP into Siberia/ Russia and spreads easterly over Europe , not the worse scenario in the world .

-6's over the East coast prob would not deliver after traveling over a somewhat mild europe but its better than nothing,

Anyhow it so far off its not even a runner :(

Its looks like the cold trickles in from greenland over the top of scandi HP into Siberia/ Russia and spreads easterly over Europe , not the worse scenario in the world .

-6's over the East coast prob would not deliver after traveling over a somewhat mild europe but its better than nothing,

Anyhow it so far off its not even a runner :(

Would prob need a good few days of it to get the cold out this far all right. Better get an easterly after europe has frozen up a bit!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,883 ✭✭✭pauldry

Reckon the Xmas will be cold this year.

After this record breaking mild November mother nature will say lets show Ireland and pummel us with cold. Could be frost could be freezing fog or could be snow but who cares. Wont be mild muff.

NB Please take this prediction with a pinch of salt. I predicted snow on 28th November and that doesnt look likely now does it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭weathermaiden

pauldry wrote: »
    Reckon the Xmas will be cold this year.

After this record breaking mild November mother nature will say lets show Ireland and pummel us with cold. Could be frost could be freezing fog or could be snow but who cares. Wont be mild muff.

NB Please take this prediction with a pinch of salt. I predicted snow on 28th November and that doesnt look likely now does it

I often wish Mother Nature thought that way.

And pauldry, God loves a trier. One of these days you'll get it right and you'll be hailed a lrf hero. Move over Donegal Postman! :P

Advertisement