Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slimming World

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Mazda123

Hi everyone, I have been following this thread for a while and you all have given me great motivation and inspiration. Well done to everyone on your great weight loss journey. I joined slimming world 5 weeks ago and have lost 10lbs so far, 17lbs to target. Hope I can do it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Snookercues

Hello everyone,

I am back to SW tonight after about 2.5 years of pretty much eating my way back up to my "old" weight.... I lost almost 2.5 stone and since being in a new relationship, I have gotten lax and have piled it all back on :(

I am DREADING DREADING DREADING getting on the scales this evening... In fact I would pretty much say that I have more weight on me than I think i have....

I am going on holidays in 3 months (not counting or anything, says she sitting in work on Boards ha ha), and I want to be about 1.5 stone lighter so that I dont scare small children at the pool ;)

I get great inspiration from reading your stories - I hope to be able to post some stories of success myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,171 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

honreal wrote: »
    How anyone can follow a program that doesn't promote exercise along with a healthy diet is beyond me. I only came in here to get an idea of this Slimming world phase I hear so much about but I think I have read enough. I don't want to offend anyone but it all seems a bit strange. best of luck with it.

Shame you won't see this reply but you won't find a single nutritionist/fitness coach or anything else that will tell you you can lose weight without changing your eating habits.

The "diet gets rid of belly, exercise puts some shape on it" is the mantra there.

What SW does is get people thinking about healthy, freshly prepared food for the first time (in most cases). It boils down to "get rid of processed food, and add plenty of fruit and veg to your diet". It really is that simple

Now the problem lies in that if we all had fabulous will power we wouldn't be over weight in the first place so some of us need a but more structure. That's were SW comes in.

SW absolutely encourages exercise, it just does so with knowledge that most members are coming in with a low fitness base. So it encourages it softly, without screaming "get to the gym now".

And what happens is that people who lose weight in SW become more confident and, almost naturally, become more active and then look for more. That's where exercise really kicks in. SW even gives rewards for exercise in the same way it does for losing weight.

Myself, I've never been fitter than I am now. I've lost a lot of weight and a lot of inches off my belly. I can now run 5k easily enough and I know I couldn't have done it without the help of SW

Hello everyone,

I am back to SW tonight after about 2.5 years of pretty much eating my way back up to my "old" weight.... I lost almost 2.5 stone and since being in a new relationship, I have gotten lax and have piled it all back on :(

I am DREADING DREADING DREADING getting on the scales this evening... In fact I would pretty much say that I have more weight on me than I think i have....

I am going on holidays in 3 months (not counting or anything, says she sitting in work on Boards ha ha), and I want to be about 1.5 stone lighter so that I dont scare small children at the pool ;)

I get great inspiration from reading your stories - I hope to be able to post some stories of success myself.

Hi snookercues, you're doing the right thing returning to SW. You succeeded before and can do it again. First weigh in is the hardest but remember you will never see that number again (that's what keeps me going week to week). 1.5 stone is achievable in 3 months just aim for 7lbs, then the next 7lbs and so on. Best of luck with it!!

By the way weigh in this morning down 2 1/2. That's 12 1/2lbs in 6 weeks, delighted!

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Snookercues

So at least it's over! I'm at my heaviest by a long shot :( aw well.. Kinda feel half better now that I know! I don't feel I'm fooling myself anymore.
    Mazda that's terrific weight loss. If I could follow your success id be delighted! I'm going on holidays in 3 months and determined now big time!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Keane2baMused

Could someone give me an overview of slimming world and what it entails? I'm getting married next year and thinking of giving it a go!

As of today I'm 62.7kg (5ft 5in) and would like to lose about 4kg ideally.

I have allergies to nuts and fish so it's much more restrictive for my diet. These are adult onset too so this time last year I could eat them no bother!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,734 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Could someone give me an overview of slimming world and what it entails? I'm getting married next year and thinking of giving it a go!

I have allergies to nuts and fish so it's much more restrictive for my diet. These are adult onset too so this time last year I could eat them no bother!

Ring a personal trainer who will teach you excersise and nutrition and give you the tools to continue long after your wedding.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,171 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

No restrictions really. Just take out processed food and ensure 1/3rd of all meals are fruit/veg

There's nothing you have to eat; and nothing you can't eat (in moderation)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,175 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Hi and welcome.
    I had a lot more weight to lose than you do so I can only give my own experience as a person who had a woeful diet before I started and have improved it hugely since I joined SW. If you already follow a fairly balanced diet with lots of fruit and veg, you might find that the SW plan won't do much to help you lose the last few pounds. That's just a guess though!
    Slimming World is based around balancing your eating by having 3 meals a day comprising of one third 'speed' fruit and veg (most fruit and veg fall in to this category, while the others are regarded as 'free', meaning they can be eaten freely but must be balanced by that one third 'speed' at every meal), and the other two thirds consisting of free foods, for example lean meat, fish (though obviously not in your case), potatoes, pasta, rice, eggs,other non-'speed' veg and fruit, fat free natural yogurt and Quark, etc. Instead of cooking oil you're encouraged to use a cooking oil spray, FryLight.
    You're encouraged to eat until you're full and eat whenever you're hungry.
    Foods that aren't 'free' or 'speed' are counted as 'syns'. As you're under 10 stone, I think your syn allowance is 5-10 syns per day (if you were over 10 stone, it'd be 5-15). You can use your syns for sauces, spreads like butter and nut butters (obviously not in your case), bread, milk, yogurts, sweets, crisps, avocados, alcohol... anything you like, within your limit. Most people find they lose more weight when having at least 5 syns per day than if they chose to not use any syns (one of the mysteries of SW :D )
    Then there's healthy extras - you have an allowance of foods that would usually have to be synned, which should be included in the day's meals without having to count syns, because they provided nutrients you need for general health - fibre and calcium. Healthy A choice (calcium) options include milk, cheese etc. Healthy B choice (fibre) options include wholemeal breads and breakfast cereals and dried fruit.
    The beauty of the plan is that you can eat lots, so you shouldn't go hungry, and nothing is entirely off limits.
    Check the meeting times for your local group and go along a couple of minutes early for the meeting - you'll meet your consultant and be talked through the plan in the 'new members talk'. This takes 30-40 minutes, after which you'll sit in on the meeting, where everyone has a chance to discuss their result (loss, gain or maintain), how they feel about it, recipes they used during the week etc. You'll have a chance to ask any questions you have during this time too. Then you'll pay your membership fee (have a look out for any discounts, they come up from time to time in magazines) and have your first weigh in, where you'll be asked to set a target. You'll be given a pack including a book that outlines the plan and the syn values of various foods. You'll also get access to the SW website which has a much more comprehensive syn checker with a huge range of foods.
    Congrats on your wedding and good luck with the weight loss, any questions just pop them up here :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Maintained this week. That's grand, wasn't the best with food.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Keane2baMused

dee_mc wrote: »
    Hi and welcome.
    I had a lot more weight to lose than you do so I can only give my own experience as a person who had a woeful diet before I started and have improved it hugely since I joined SW. If you already follow a fairly balanced diet with lots of fruit and veg, you might find that the SW plan won't do much to help you lose the last few pounds. That's just a guess though!
    Slimming World is based around balancing your eating by having 3 meals a day comprising of one third 'speed' fruit and veg (most fruit and veg fall in to this category, while the others are regarded as 'free', meaning they can be eaten freely but must be balanced by that one third 'speed' at every meal), and the other two thirds consisting of free foods, for example lean meat, fish (though obviously not in your case), potatoes, pasta, rice, eggs,other non-'speed' veg and fruit, fat free natural yogurt and Quark, etc. Instead of cooking oil you're encouraged to use a cooking oil spray, FryLight.
    You're encouraged to eat until you're full and eat whenever you're hungry.
    Foods that aren't 'free' or 'speed' are counted as 'syns'. As you're under 10 stone, I think your syn allowance is 5-10 syns per day (if you were over 10 stone, it'd be 5-15). You can use your syns for sauces, spreads like butter and nut butters (obviously not in your case), bread, milk, yogurts, sweets, crisps, avocados, alcohol... anything you like, within your limit. Most people find they lose more weight when having at least 5 syns per day than if they chose to not use any syns (one of the mysteries of SW :D )
    Then there's healthy extras - you have an allowance of foods that would usually have to be synned, which should be included in the day's meals without having to count syns, because they provided nutrients you need for general health - fibre and calcium. Healthy A choice (calcium) options include milk, cheese etc. Healthy B choice (fibre) options include wholemeal breads and breakfast cereals and dried fruit.
    The beauty of the plan is that you can eat lots, so you shouldn't go hungry, and nothing is entirely off limits.
    Check the meeting times for your local group and go along a couple of minutes early for the meeting - you'll meet your consultant and be talked through the plan in the 'new members talk'. This takes 30-40 minutes, after which you'll sit in on the meeting, where everyone has a chance to discuss their result (loss, gain or maintain), how they feel about it, recipes they used during the week etc. You'll have a chance to ask any questions you have during this time too. Then you'll pay your membership fee (have a look out for any discounts, they come up from time to time in magazines) and have your first weigh in, where you'll be asked to set a target. You'll be given a pack including a book that outlines the plan and the syn values of various foods. You'll also get access to the SW website which has a much more comprehensive syn checker with a huge range of foods.
    Congrats on your wedding and good luck with the weight loss, any questions just pop them up here :)

That's super helpful thank you :D

My diet for the most part is quite good. My downfall however is chocolate and bread!! :(

Last nights dinner for example was Roast chicken (no skin) with a big side salad of spinach, rocket, peppers, chick peas and a little feta.

Breakfast is typically weetabix with blueberries.

Lunch is usually something with eggs and maybe avocado or baked beans or baked falafels.

I have seen so many amazing success stories with SW it's truly inspirational :) It boggles my mind when people come on and give out about it being a fad. If it is it's one of the most healthy, successful fad diets I have seen :)

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭angel eyes 2012

Hi I hope someone can advise me. I thought rice was a free food and I've been eating it every day, white rice or wholegrain. However, it is the microwave pouch version as it's convenient for work. I googled it and posters are saying it contains syns?! Can anyone help? I'm switching between Uncle Ben's and Tesco brand.

Hi I hope someone can advise me. I thought rice was a free food and I've been eating it every day, white rice or wholegrain. However, it is the microwave pouch version as it's convenient for work. I googled it and posters are saying it contains syns?! Can anyone help? I'm switching between Uncle Ben's and Tesco brand.

Yeah it's 2 syns per 250g pouch for Basmati, 3.5 syns per 250g wholegrain, and 1 syn per 250g pouch for long grain. It's because there's oil and stuff added to stop the rice all clumping together in the pack. Boil in the bag rice is free, and if you want a quick meal option loads of the 'MugShotz' things are free (some of them are rice based). Not my cup of tea but lots of people use and enjoy them.
    Alternatively you can cook your own rice in the microwave for a syn free option. Haven't done it in ages but here's the idea: In a microwave-safe baking dish or medium bowl, combine 1 cup long-grain white rice, 2 cups water, and ½ teaspoon salt. Microwave, uncovered, on high (power level 10) until the rice is tender and the liquid is absorbed, 15 to 18 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭angel eyes 2012

dee_mc wrote: »
    Yeah it's 2 syns per 250g pouch for Basmati, 3.5 syns per 250g wholegrain, and 1 syn per 250g pouch for long grain. It's because there's oil and stuff added to stop the rice all clumping together in the pack. Boil in the bag rice is free, and if you want a quick meal option loads of the 'MugShotz' things are free (some of them are rice based). Not my cup of tea but lots of people use and enjoy them.
    Alternatively you can cook your own rice in the microwave for a syn free option. Haven't done it in ages but here's the idea: In a microwave-safe baking dish or medium bowl, combine 1 cup long-grain white rice, 2 cups water, and ½ teaspoon salt. Microwave, uncovered, on high (power level 10) until the rice is tender and the liquid is absorbed, 15 to 18 minutes.

Thanks, this might be the reason why my loss is so slow! I just assumed it was free. Just proves that the plan doesn't encourage processed foods, which isn't a bad thing. Thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 fred72

Great thread, loads of helpful tips and information.

Just joined SW 2 weeks ago, had second weigh in last Monday and got my half stone loss... Chuffed to bits with it... Didnt think I would lose anything with the amount of food I ate...

Really easy to follow, I am in a very supportive group and I have eaten more then I usually do for the last 2 weeks, just a lot healthier options...

Can anyone tell me the syns in curry powder, more specifically the Mayflower brand, if possible...

The mayflower is 4 syns for 28g (roughly two tablespoons). It's enough for 2 people, so like 2 syns per portion

• Registered Users Posts: 2 fred72

Thanks Penny Tration...

fred72 wrote: »
    Great thread, loads of helpful tips and information.

Just joined SW 2 weeks ago, had second weigh in last Monday and got my half stone loss... Chuffed to bits with it... Didnt think I would lose anything with the amount of food I ate...

Really easy to follow, I am in a very supportive group and I have eaten more then I usually do for the last 2 weeks, just a lot healthier options...

Can anyone tell me the syns in curry powder, more specifically the Mayflower brand, if possible...

Hi Fred, that's a great loss in 2 wks. It took me 4 weeks to lose 7 pounds. I expected it to happen faster as I lost 5lbs the first week, then 1lb, then .5lb, and finally 2lbs. I'm delighted now that I stuck with it. I'm six weeks in and 12.5lbs down so looking forward to reaching my first stone in the next week or 2. It's great the amount of food that can be eaten. I have never felt hungry or deprived once. Best of luck and continued success!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭ThatGeekGirl

Decided to spoil myself today and made a nice big brunch - Wholemeal toast (HexB), egg, tomatoes, spinach, rasher medalions (free because no fat) and 2 aldi sausages (the hand tied ones in the black container) which work out as 6.5 syns each (13 syns total). I have a tendency to use my syns in my meals instead of doing the snack at night thing that alot of people like to do as I try to avoid sugar. The sausages were lovely, not something I would ever eat on a regular basis but I wanted to both stick in the SW plan and eat something that was regular - if that makes sense? Sick of the tasteless syn free sausages. Does anyone have any other suggestions or recommendations of medium/high syn products which are worth the once off splurge yet still within plan?

Superquinn reduced fat sausages. They taste exactly the same as the normal superquinn sausages (i HATE the low syn sausages), 2.5 syns each.

I'm told the Wow pork sausages are nice too, they're half a syn for two. because they're so low syn, I won't buy them because any low syn ones I've had are manky :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Mollyd90

Decided to spoil myself today and made a nice big brunch - Wholemeal toast (HexB), egg, tomatoes, spinach, rasher medalions (free because no fat) and 2 aldi sausages (the hand tied ones in the black container) which work out as 6.5 syns each (13 syns total). I have a tendency to use my syns in my meals instead of doing the snack at night thing that alot of people like to do as I try to avoid sugar. The sausages were lovely, not something I would ever eat on a regular basis but I wanted to both stick in the SW plan and eat something that was regular - if that makes sense? Sick of the tasteless syn free sausages. Does anyone have any other suggestions or recommendations of medium/high syn products which are worth the once off splurge yet still within plan?

OH MY GOD!! ive being counting them sausages as 2.5 syns each!! I worked out the syns on the syn calculator, i must have put in something wrong 2.5 syns each doesnt make sense when you think about it. thank god you posted this!

I try to eat 'regular' food too. i think i will keep to the plan longer if i do.
    the aldi pepper sauce is surprisingly low in syns if you use your hexa to make it.
    Im keep most of my syns for choc etc so im not much help to you with your question

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭StillThinking

I'm told the Wow pork sausages are nice too, they're half a syn for two. because they're so low syn, I won't buy them because any low syn ones I've had are manky

I've had the WOW pork sausages with sweet chilli and garlic, wasn't expecting much as they are so low on syns but must admit they were beautiful!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,024 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Yeah the pork with sweet chilli and garlic WOW ones are lovely! Plain pork is meh and turkey with sweet chilli don't taste any different so aren't worth the extra €1!

I really liked the WOW sausages too, only had the plain ones but they were very tasty and juicy. I cooked them on a George Foreman grill and really enjoyed them. Never was a fan of the Mallon's syn free ones so the WOW ones are a great option for the once-in-a-blue-moon cooked breakfasts in this house!

I may have to give them a try so!

Are they really dense though? What I hate about mallon's is how dense and meaty they are! Like chewing on a sock or something

I may have to give them a try so!

Are they really dense though? What I hate about mallon's is how dense and meaty they are! Like chewing on a sock or something

I find them grand - made a stew/coddle of sorts with them earlier and it was devoured lol! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Vahevala

Where did this come from?
    As you're under 10 stone, I think your syn allowance is 5-10 syns per day (if you were over 10 stone, it'd be 5-15).

I am under 10 stone and was never told this, I was told 15 for women (regardless of the weight)

Vahevala wrote: »
    Where did this come from?

I am under 10 stone and was never told this, I was told 15 for women (regardless of the weight)

Same here? I'm maintaining fine on my 15 so not giving 5 of them up lol!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Vahevala

tk123 wrote: »
    Same here? I'm maintaining fine on my 15 so not giving 5 of them up lol!

I actually found an old post where I queried this with the consultant and she said 5-15 is fine regardless of what you weigh, you may be given more at the start depending on your starting weight and bring it down to the 15 over time.

I more or less have around 14 a day & maintain quite well lol :D

• Advertisement

Re the lower syns if you're under 10 stone thing, now that I think of it the consultant who said it wasn't particularly good or knowledgeable :D I was a visiting member at her group and heard her saying to a new member 'as your starting weight is under 10 stone you'll have to stick to 5 to 10 syns per day'. I queried it with her and she maintained that once you hit 10 stone or under, you had to reduce syns. Thinking about it, it makes zero sense and as I say, she was the worst consultant I've ever come across so I apologise for quoting her without checking my facts!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement