Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slimming World

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

Due weigh in tomorrow evening after missing last week. Have been really good since Fri doing mostly s&p, but have had a serious case of the munchies today. Could have ate a horse today but kept mostly to sw. Hope the scales won't be too hard on me tomorrow!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

Guys I'm new to the SW thing, can I ask about syns, can you save up your daily syns for a few days or do you need to eat them that day or not at all? My leader said maybe for a special occasion but not to make a habit of it, also can you earn extra syns by exercising? I walk about 5 miles most days, surely that's worth something extra (she said hopefully...!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,175 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Tranceypoo wrote: »
    Guys I'm new to the SW thing, can I ask about syns, can you save up your daily syns for a few days or do you need to eat them that day or not at all? My leader said maybe for a special occasion but not to make a habit of it, also can you earn extra syns by exercising? I walk about 5 miles most days, surely that's worth something extra (she said hopefully...!!)

No, you don't get extra syns for doing more exercise. Slimming World is more focused on the eating plan side of things, getting you into the habit of filling up on free food and having your treats too - you certainly shouldn't be hungry, and there are lots of free foods that feel like a treat, for example lots of people love the Mullerlight yogurts many of which have no syns, and I love fat free Greek yogurt which tastes very indulgent.
    Saving up your syns isn't recommended, but for special occasions there's something called 'flexisyns' where you decide in advance that you will have up to a set number of syns on that particular day (for example, a lady in my group was talking about setting herself a limit of 70 syns for the day of a family wedding, and I think it was 35 syns for the following day so she could indulge in some hangover food!) but you don't compensate by having fewer syns another day, you just carry on as normal. Obviously you couldn't do this every week as your losses would suffer and it would make it harder to settle into a routine but it's a good safety net to keep you in control rather than having a total blowout.
    Welcome to SW :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Tranceypoo, I'd only do that out of necessity rather than planning it iykwim? Best to plan to stay within your syns on the day of a social occasion, keep track rather than guessing and pull back over the next day or two if need be. I know personally if I was 'saving' syns I'd have a blowout mentality which is what we're trying to change. It's working for me so far anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

Thanks....:(

Where do you buy the fat free Greek Yog?

• Advertisement

I buy Liberte in Dunnes, Tesco or Supervalu. It's often on special offer at €2 for a 500g tub. Fage is also nice but beware, their fat free and full fat yogurts come in almost identical pots (as I found out on Sunday!!). Dunnes do their own brand one but I think it's not as thick and luscious.
    Stick with SW for a while and you'll find yourself enjoying your regular meals more and depending less on your 'syns'; I've always been a chocolate and cheese fiend and assumed I'd have a pizza blowout within my first few weeks and the odd hot chocolate (another old love of mine) without counting syns etc but to be honest my tastes have changed, I think I had one day since September when I really craved pizza and instead I made myself a big bowl of 'free' pasta and sauce and enjoyed it so much more, I haven't had (or wanted) a hot chocolate, and I can have a bit of cheese as my healthy A choice any day I want... I don't drink regularly but you can definitely fit in a few drinks with slimline mixers within your syn allowance, and as long as you don't use too many syns in your regular meals you can afford to have a full size bar of chocolate within your syns every day if you want to.
    SW isn't about deprivation, give yourself a chance and you really will begin to enjoy it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Totally agree deemc! I'm amazed that I haven't had the urge to 'go mad', I honestly think it's because I'm eating so much and am never hungry unlike other weight loss plans!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Supervalu has ff greek, the Liberte is absol amazing!! So creamy.

Welcome to SW, its fab. Just shout if you have any other queries. The others have answered the Syns thing and you don't get extra for exercising.

It can take a few weeks to totally get your head around it so bear with it and try and find what types of food works for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,168 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

I never used to eat yoghurts but do all the time now. Sometimes mixed with fruits, porridge or SW pancakes.

I generally go with the Aldi "brooklea" fat free Greek Style strawberry yoghurt. Sometime the Muller light vanilla with dark chocolate bits. Both taste different of course

No idea if they'd suit anyone who loves yoghurts but I enjoy them.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭mejulie805

I usually have the toffee muller light for breakfast with fruit- less boring and just as good.

Speaking of yogurts, I got a free Glenisk yogurt today in Fresh..

Authentically Strained Greek Style Coconut Yogurt- 0% fat.

It's obviously new as it's not on the app or even the Glenisk website. And it's gone! Think it would be free?

• Advertisement

mejulie805 wrote: »
    I usually have the toffee muller light for breakfast with fruit- less boring and just as good.

Speaking of yogurts, I got a free Glenisk yogurt today in Fresh..

Authentically Strained Greek Style Coconut Yogurt- 0% fat.

It's obviously new as it's not on the app or even the Glenisk website. And it's gone! Think it would be free?

No, i think someone had it on our fb page recently. Ill have a look but nearly sure it was around 3 or 4 syns for the small tub.

andreac wrote: »
    No, i think someone had it on our fb page recently. Ill have a look but nearly sure it was around 3 or 3 syns for the small tub.

Oh no!!! Dammit, I thought it would be less than the low fat greek yogurts how disappointing!

Think they are 5 syns mejulie!!

-whaaat-2.png

I know, mad isnt it? Not all the ff yoghurts are syn free so be careful. I know some of the Onken FF are not syn free too.

I am in complete denial ;) the Glenisk Organic Greek Style Low Fat Yogurt are 3-4 syns depending on flavour, so I can't believe the fat free ones are higher :O I'll report back with my findings :D

I am in complete denial ;) the Glenisk Organic Greek Style Low Fat Yogurt are 3-4 syns depending on flavour, so I can't believe the fat free ones are higher :O I'll report back with my findings :D

Maybe just double check it to be sure. You never know!!

Just tweeted Glenisk and Slimming World about this (obviously I am a very calm person who is OK with not knowing something :pac:)

Glenisk got back to me and said they worked it out at 1 syn :D:D:D and even offered to send me some vouchers :p Wohoo!

I maintained this week - it flashed between 1/2 pound down and maintain, so I'm grand with that after my unexpected 3 pounds down last week!
    Going to try overnight oats with mullerlight toffee, a bit of Greek so it won't be so sweet, strawberries, raspberries, blueberries and apricots... Looking forward to tomorrow's breakfast already!

Only down a lb this week. Bit disappointed as I did sp for 4 days this week so it was Def not worth it.

I'd be delighted with a lb a week but I thought it would be more by doing sp.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭okiss

I was glad to find out the weight I put up last week was gone. I have to lose 8 lbs to get both my 2 stone 7 award and 3 stone award. I plan to do this in the next 2 weeks. I welcome any tips from other people here to help me do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

I was down a half this week, happy with that as last week was a wipeout with the funeral etc.

Now down 3 stone 1lb, delighted with myself ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Vahevala

Weigh in looms tonight :eek: I need to lose 1.5 lbs to get my 4 &1/2 stone award with SW... nervous already..

I always feel like I don't want to eat on WI day :o:o

Best of luck, no doubt you will smash it!!

I am all over the place and convinced that today will be week 3 with a gain.
    I am sticking to the plan but I feel the rolls coming back. I am so stressed out I just don't know what to do!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Vahevala

I am all over the place and convinced that today will be week 3 with a gain.
    I am sticking to the plan but I feel the rolls coming back. I am so stressed out I just don't know what to do!

Are you doing any exercise? Do you do a food diary? I find that really helps me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭2013Lara

Hi all, New to this thread. I'm in my 7th week of slimming world and down 1st6lb. Long way to go but starting to see a difference. How long did it take everyone to go down a clothes size? I'm still the same, seem to be losing weight from my upper body rather than lower. Have a communion on Sat that will no doubt have a lot of unhealthy sausages nuggets etc. I actually have no desire to eat them though, give me a salmon salad over it any day. I would love salt and chilli chicken from the Chinese though! Anyone have a good recipe? Have made a nice free fried rice myself before. Would like a nice curry sauce to go with it, I hear the mayflower mix is great and lowish in syns, (4 syns a portion), anyone manage to find it over here and save me from ordering a take away after the communion on sat?!

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭ja1986

2013Lara wrote: »
    Hi all, New to this thread. I'm in my 7th week of slimming world and down 1st6lb. Long way to go but starting to see a difference. How long did it take everyone to go down a clothes size? I'm still the same, seem to be losing weight from my upper body rather than lower. Have a communion on Sat that will no doubt have a lot of unhealthy sausages nuggets etc. I actually have no desire to eat them though, give me a salmon salad over it any day. I would love salt and chilli chicken from the Chinese though! Anyone have a good recipe? Have made a nice free fried rice myself before. Would like a nice curry sauce to go with it, I hear the mayflower mix is great and lowish in syns, (4 syns a portion), anyone manage to find it over here and save me from ordering a take away after the communion on sat?!

Hi Lara , if you look up the nakedblondie on Google with the salted chicken there is a recepie. it's a favourite in our house. It's honestly one of the nicest meals Iv made so far. Good luck x

Just on the topic of salt and chilli, I had chilli rock salt on SW chips at a friend's house the other day and it was great, you can use it before or after cooking but it's nicer if the chips are cooked in it. It's made by a small company in Cork.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,168 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

2013Lara wrote: »

My wife makes a free curry based on peas. We have it with a salt + chilli style "spice bag" dinner. Will get the recipe now

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement