Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slimming World

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭mejulie805

6 holidays a year!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Vahevala

I am 8 months on SW next week and have never taken a holiday :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭m'lady

dee_mc wrote: »
    To add to the above, are you drinking enough water? Most people have a high loss in the first week or two due to a 'flush' of water retention. Lower losses in first couple of weeks could suggest either that you weren't retaining water in the first place, or else you're not drinking enough in the past few weeks to flush the system.
    I've also heard that for some people, especially those who have been eating very little and/or irregularly in the time leading up to starting SW, the first few weeks are essentially 'refeeding' and it can take a few weeks to kick-start weight loss.
    In any case, stick with it, fill out your food diary as you eat, check your syns before you eat them, and if you're still not seeing significant losses have a word with your consultant and your doctor.
    Best of luck and don't be afraid to ask questions and check your daily menus etc with us here on this thread! Well done for getting started!

Have never heard that about 'refeeding' but it makes a lot of sense. I'd be one of those that didn't eat regular or much food before starting sw, and my first 2 weigh ins I only lost 1 pound each week, now in my 3rd and 4th I've lost a steady 2 pounds both weeks which is good for me as I don't lose weight fast as I've an underactive thyroid too.

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭mrmorgan

my 2nd weigh in , -1.5 so thats 3.5 down in 2 weeks

at 22st i should have a bloody stone off at this point

i have slipped up 2 or 3 times in week

man, 3.5 pounds in two weeks is great, dont be wanting to lose too much weight too soon, it's mot maintainable.

I am down 6 pounds in two weeks and at 19 st. i feel thats too much. i rather lose my 5 stone target nearly over a year if i am honest

Eircom_Sucks, I know you feel you have a long way to go but you won't lose a stone in that short a time frame, so give yourself a bit of time. I was never a huge loser of weight each week but it came off regularly and that to me was more important.

Stick with it and as long as you are having losses, that is the main thing :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Heyes

I'm having a tough week :(
    Time of the month cravings for sugar and chocolate - trying to stay within syns but have gone over by 2 one day and 3 yesterday, coffee is helping a little bit and I've made a massive pot of tomato and herb pasta sauce - 42 portions! - which is quick and filling for dinner, but can't help feeling a bit negative and 'guilty' for having the cravings, being a woman is crap sometimes!!

Drink LOADS of water and it bizarly helps to reduce the cravings

• Registered Users Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Dodge wrote: »
    Fully expect to be half a stone up today. Week off work and a few social outings have lead to a lot of bad food being consumed

not a single regret either. :)

Was up half a pound. Hovered on maintain too. Feels like a loss :P

Back to basic this week though

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

mejulie805 wrote: »
    6 holidays a year!

Thanks mejulie.
    Vahevala wrote: »
    I am 8 months on SW next week and have never taken a holiday :eek:

Unfortunately I have to tomorrow night, sudden death in family!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,176 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Heyes wrote: »
    Drink LOADS of water and it bizarly helps to reduce the cravings

I'm on it, sipping all day, have drank just under a litre and now I'm home from work should manage about the same again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Monife

Down 3lb :) sick at the mo so be really happy to maintain next week. Good luck to all :)

• Advertisement

I heard a nice idea for a SW friendly recipe today: Chicken nuggets/goujons coated with cooked quinoa instead of breadcrumbs. Have tried some made with a Smash coating and they were pretty nice but I'm a bit of a Smash-phobe so haven't tried making them myself, quinoa sounds a bit more natural to me than dehydrated potato flakes!
    Anyone had any success with coating chicken without using flour before dipping in egg? Is it worth a syn or two to just go ahead and use some flour?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

Weigh in this week. Down 3 :) Guess I'll continue taking the stairs in work (up to the 4th floor)

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭mejulie805

My condolences clappyhappy..

I made the Malaysian curry last night with some cauliflower rice... the cauliflower is not as bad as I'd thought it would be- more of a cous cous setup than rice though!

dee_mc that sounds like it could work! My consultant is recently raving about using Weetabix as a coating- have yet to try anything like this..

Thanks mejulie.

Unfortunately I have to tomorrow night, sudden death in family!!

So sorry to hear that :(

3 pounds down! Can't believe it, feeling crap and bloated all week so I'm beyond delighted :D

3 pounds down! Can't believe it, feeling crap and bloated all week so I'm beyond delighted :D

fair play, well done

Guys, how does duck work on this plan?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

mrmorgan wrote: »
    Guys, how does duck work on this plan?

In what way? Is it not listed in your book under the meats?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I heard a nice idea for a SW friendly recipe today: Chicken nuggets/goujons coated with cooked quinoa instead of breadcrumbs. Have tried some made with a Smash coating and they were pretty nice but I'm a bit of a Smash-phobe so haven't tried making them myself, quinoa sounds a bit more natural to me than dehydrated potato flakes!
    Anyone had any success with coating chicken without using flour before dipping in egg? Is it worth a syn or two to just go ahead and use some flour?

Somebody in our group used a packet of 'flavoured/spiced' dry couscous (lemon maybe) and said it worked really well. Haven't tried it yet though! Would you need to syn the couscous/quinoa?

tk123 wrote: »
    Somebody in our group used a packet of 'flavoured/spiced' dry couscous (lemon maybe) and said it worked really well. Haven't tried it yet though! Would you need to syn the couscous/quinoa?

I'd count one or two syns seeing as it's a 'tweak', as tweaks go it's not a terrible one! Bought some quinoa today anyway (the price of the organic stuff!! over €10 for a small bag! Dunnes own brand bog standard all the way for me!) so will try it and report back... should be nice in salads and stuff too.
    Apparently people are making 'Doritos' out of lasagne sheets now?! Heard about that in group today, a tweak too far for me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭okiss

Last week was a good week for me. I then went through a few days that I was eating everthing bad. It my time of the month so I was up a few pounds today.
    I have already made an eating plan for the next few days and have done some shopping for this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Down another 3lb, that's 10.5 in 3 weeks :) Definitely glad I started when I did!

So the quinoa goujons are a big hit!
    I rinsed half a cup of quinoa in a fine sieve (to get rid of a bitter taste) then cooked it in a cup of salted water (just brought it to the boil, then reduced the heat to lowest setting and left covered for 20mins until a bit fluffy and water all absorbed). Left it to cool on a plate while I cut some turkey breast steaks into strips (3 packs for €10 in Dunnes, I used 2 packs). I mixed a teaspoon of Cajun seasoning with a tablespoon of flour and tossed the turkey strips in this to coat, then dipped each one first in egg wash (1 large egg beaten with about 2 tablespoons of milk) and then in the quinoa. I put the goujons on a baking tray lined with parchment and sprayed with frylight (I suspected the quinoa would stick to the tray otherwise!), then sprayed the goujons with more frylight and seasoned with salt and pepper. Baked at 220 celsius for about 25 minutes, turning once.
    Served with SW chips and roasted butternut squash and a rocket and lambs lettuce salad, this was the nicest dinner I've had in ages!
    Lovely savoury taste from the quinoa, I actually prefer it to breadcrumbs. Quite crunchy.
    http://s1281.photobucket.com/user/dee-mc/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-05/20150513_202632_zpsq1c0t8d0.jpg.html

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭PawneeRanger

Lads, I'm disgusted with myself. I started my new job a month ago and I have gone completely off the rails. I'm back up half a stone and I feel rotten. I'm off on my holiday next week, which was supposed to be my incentive for keeping at this, but I've buggered it up.

Now I'm going to have the airport panic of "will the seat belt close?" then a week of covering myself up because I feel like a beached whale.

I overheard a new colleague making a joke about how the head of HR is fat and that's why all the new people are fat (3 of us started at the same time, none of us small...) I know I need to ignore **** like that but I'm just so disappointed in myself. I was doing so well :(

Bleh.

I need a kick in the bum!

Lads, I'm disgusted with myself. I started my new job a month ago and I have gone completely off the rails. I'm back up half a stone and I feel rotten. I'm off on my holiday next week, which was supposed to be my incentive for keeping at this, but I've buggered it up.

Now I'm going to have the airport panic of "will the seat belt close?" then a week of covering myself up because I feel like a beached whale.

I overheard a new colleague making a joke about how the head of HR is fat and that's why all the new people are fat (3 of us started at the same time, none of us small...) I know I need to ignore **** like that but I'm just so disappointed in myself. I was doing so well :(

Bleh.

You need to go easy on yourself.
    The person making jokes about HR hiring people because of their body type is a dick.
    If he/she said anything like that in my presence I'd remind him that I can lose weight, but he'll still be a small-minded, sanctimonious little prick.
    Starting a new job is hard - it's stressful. It's understandable that you didn't stick to your eating plan for the first while, as you had other things on your mind.
    Now you have a great excuse to get back on track: ease yourself into it when you're on holiday, following the plan in as much as you can, and give yourself a day or two of unchecked indulgence and relaxation.
    Before you go, maybe you could cook a few SW friendly meals for the freezer so that you can get right back on plan after your holiday?
    If the seat belt is uncomfortable, politely ask for an extension - they're very often needed, it's totally normal and acceptable to request one.
    Above all, have a lovely holiday! You've put in a lot of hard work, you know the basics of the plan and you know it works so you know you can make it work for you again ;)
    Bon voyage!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Monife

Bleh.

+1 to what Dee said but on the seatbelt issue, my waist was around 50 inches when I went on holidays last and I just about squeezed into it :) slight bit more slack on Aer Lingus. So that might give you an idea :)

So the quinoa goujons are a big hit!
    I rinsed half a cup of quinoa in a fine sieve (to get rid of a bitter taste) then cooked it in a cup of salted water (just brought it to the boil, then reduced the heat to lowest setting and left covered for 20mins until a bit fluffy and water all absorbed). Left it to cool on a plate while I cut some turkey breast steaks into strips (3 packs for €10 in Dunnes, I used 2 packs). I mixed a teaspoon of Cajun seasoning with a tablespoon of flour and tossed the turkey strips in this to coat, then dipped each one first in egg wash (1 large egg beaten with about 2 tablespoons of milk) and then in the quinoa. I put the goujons on a baking tray lined with parchment and sprayed with frylight (I suspected the quinoa would stick to the tray otherwise!), then sprayed the goujons with more frylight and seasoned with salt and pepper. Baked at 220 celsius for about 25 minutes, turning once.
    Served with SW chips and roasted butternut squash and a rocket and lambs lettuce salad, this was the nicest dinner I've had in ages!
    Lovely savoury taste from the quinoa, I actually prefer it to breadcrumbs. Quite crunchy.
    http://s1281.photobucket.com/user/dee-mc/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-05/20150513_202632_zpsq1c0t8d0.jpg.html

Oh might try this at the weekend - there's some quinoa in the press! :)
    I use a microwave rice cooker for quinoa (and rice lol) at it always comes out lovely and fluffy. Got it in homestore I think it was around €10 http://sistemaplastics.com/products/microwave/rice-steamer

tk123 wrote: »
    Oh might try this at the weekend - there's some quinoa in the press! :)
    I use a microwave rice cooker for quinoa (and rice lol) at it always comes out lovely and fluffy. Got it in homestore I think it was around €10 http://sistemaplastics.com/products/microwave/rice-steamer

Hmm might invest, I'm crap at cooking rice and my quinoa was less than fluffy too!

Guys any ideas on syns or could it be free - chicken stock from roast chicken that's been chilled and fat layer removed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭littlenubbin85

Got my two stone award last night. Down 1 and a half lbs. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement