Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guns N' Roses Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Get In The Ring is a fun song, if only it wasn't dated because of Axl's rant mid song, but then again those were the times.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,579 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Is My World in this? Cos that's the worst.

I don't like Knockin On Heaven's Door at all. Well, apart from the solo.

Best bits, Estranged is a 10/10 tune for me. Solos are magnificent.

November Rain is amazing, but I stupidly over listened to it so it's lost some of it's magic for me.

Love Coma.

Have a special place in my heart for Breakdown. Kinda related to the posts above about going through a tough time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭littelady

My favs; So fine, yesterdays, get in the ring and attuide

My World is a mind f*** of a song..

• Registered Users Posts: 39,442 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    My World is a mind f*** of a song..
    Well Axl liked it lithium so you take that back.

• Advertisement

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Well Axl liked it lithium so you take that back.

That's because it was (unknown to the band at the time & when it all eventually fell apart) the direction Axl was headed musically..

Now I'm sure if you asked him 25 years on if he still liked it, you'd probably get a different answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,635 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Ol' Donie wrote: »

November Rain is amazing, but I stupidly over listened to it so it's lost some of it's magic for me.

Love Coma.

Have a special place in my heart for Breakdown. Kinda related to the posts above about going through a tough time.

I prefer Estranged over November Rain any day. I just think NR is way too overblown, whereas, Estranged is simpler, and Slash's playing on it is just beautiful.

I googled the lyrics of locomotive to see if it was that or breakdown had the outro that Axl hated being played too low. When reading the locomotive lyrics I started humming the tune

Love Coma.

I prefer Estranged over November Rain any day. I just think NR is way too overblown, whereas, Estranged is simpler, and Slash's playing on it is just beautiful.
    Slashs melodies on estranged are unreal and Axl was right to thank him on the album notes.

I like November rain better live. I think the pause in the live version before the outro fits the song better IMO.

Oh, I agree Estranged is miles better. No question about that.

Edit: The bIt in the sleeve notes when Axl thanks Slash for the riffs is one of my favourite things about all of UYI.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,635 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Oh, I agree Estranged is miles better. No question about that.

Edit: The bIt in the sleeve notes when Axl thanks Slash for the riffs is one of my favourite things about all of UYI.

IIRC, I think Slash played ALL the guitar parts on Estranged? In other words, Izzy didn't play any of it.....?

IIRC, I think Slash played ALL the guitar parts on Estranged? In other words, Izzy didn't play any of it.....?

According to the songs Wikipedia page, Izzy did rhythm & additional lead guitar

"Slash, thanks for the killer guitar melodies" is what it says.

The writing credit is just "Rose".

Incidentally, I just read that off the vinyl verrsion i bought a while ago.

It's one of those ones that comes with a download of the album.

I guess they had some work experience bod uploading the tracks, based on the listing of tracks.

Track 2 is called 12 Years.

Love Coma.

Not even the live version taken from the Freddie Mercury Tribute Concert in April '92? I find it better than the version on UYI II

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

There's no doubt that November Rain was ridiculously over the top in terms of production...the crappy synth strings and choir and whatever else Axl threw in. It's such a pity because the demo versions of that song (both acoustic guitar and piano) that were doing the rounds before the albums came out are fantastic. So raw and emotional and powerful...even now I get chills listening to them.

I remember there was a lot of hype beforehand around November Rain as it was Axl's baby, it had been knocking around for quite a while and he had apparently invested so much time and effort in getting it recorded. But, Slash's stunning solos aside, I was so disappointed with the album version.

Favourite songs? Hard to beat Estranged, it's a stunning piece of music and everything that November Rain wasn't. Other favourites are Locomotive, Coma, Dust N Bones, 14 Years, Civil War...which I had loved from when it got released on the Nobody's Child album around a year earlier.

Bought the albums on tape from HMV in Henry Street, went home and played them to death. I was 18, just about to start college, and there was all these great records being released one after another, it was an incredible time. You had UYI, Nevermind, Ten, Metallica's Black album...although Achtung Baby will always be my favourite but that's for another thread!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭littelady

Not on UYI but I love the cover of Axl and Tom petty - Free falling.

littelady wrote: »
    Not on UYI but I love the cover of Axl and Tom petty - Free falling.

Where's that? Wow love that tune.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

Breakdown and Estranged for me.

I was doing my final year in college around the time they UYI was out and for the final year project it was tradition to put a famous quote or a line from a poem in the second page after the title page, I put

"just because you're winning don't mean you're the lucky one"

for some reason that line always stood out for me.

Roanmore wrote: »

I was doing my final year in college around the time they UYI was out and for the final year project it was tradition to put a famous quote or a line from a poem in the second page after the title page, I put

Me too. I still say that quite often, to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭XsApollo

Any love for Back off Bitch in here?
    It's one of my favourites.

My go to songs are Back off Bitch, estranged ,coma, breakdown,locomotive, knocking on heavens door, you could be mine ( my kids love the drums :-P)

Least favourites that I never listen to would be ,you ain't the first, Garden of Eden, yesterdays, my world.

Roanmore wrote: »

Ha I had that written on my shoulder bag for college...nice to know it meant something to others at the time also!

XsApollo wrote: »
    Any love for Back off Bitch in here?
    It's one of my favourites.

My go to songs are Back off Bitch, estranged ,coma, breakdown,locomotive, knocking on heavens door, you could be mine ( my kids love the drums :-P)

Least favourites that I never listen to would be ,you ain't the first, Garden of Eden, yesterdays, my world.

Not as much as I would have hoped when the album came out. Mainly due to the fact that, like November Rain and a few other songs, I had heard the demo version and found it far superior (and I'm not trying to be one of those demo nerds...ohh man the demo has way more purity, etc).

It's just that the song is meant to be nasty and spiteful and the demo below had this in spades. The recorded version is more laboured and sounds leaden. And Matt Sorum's drumming style and sound doesn't help it either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭XsApollo

I have never listened to that demo before.
    I was 11 when these albums were released, only listened to the appetite songs on the radio and recorded what I could.
    On my birthday my mothers friend got me use your illusion 1 on tape, I don't think I even knew these albums were out.
    Anyway I never looked back.

Will give that demo a listen, it will be like a new song :-)

Not as much as I would have hoped when the album came out. Mainly due to the fact that, like November Rain and a few other songs, I had heard the demo version and found it far superior (and I'm not trying to be one of those demo nerds...ohh man the demo has way more purity, etc).

It's just that the song is meant to be nasty and spiteful and the demo below had this in spades. The recorded version is more laboured and sounds leaden. And Matt Sorum's drumming style and sound doesn't help it either.

I wish they kept that version of the song, but fine tuned it more, sounds better with Steven's drumming than the version with Sorum's drumming on I

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

GNR's first manager on Ray Darcys Show now

GNR's first manager on Ray Darcys Show now

Vicky Hamilton or Alan Niven?

I'm guessing it was the bould Vicky seeing as she's promoting her book. I'd say it's very readable actually. She certainly has her place in the band's history and Slash and Steven both gave her a mention at the Hall of Fame awards.

One can only imagine some of the things she saw and heard back in the day!

http://www.irishtimes.com/culture/music/managing-chaos-guns-n-roses-were-really-out-of-control-1.2798119

Listening to the Chicago 1992 version of mr brownstone and it's a good version but Jesus Matt sorums drumming is too perfect and hasn't the groove that Steven had.

I mean compare it to the ritz 88 show and the drumming by Steven adds so much to brownstone which is such a good song.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭RayK0309

Never really got the musicanship? side of the band...but for me..on any given mood..all of their songs rock. Axl's voice sounded ****in top notch on the very last...'For those about to rock'....I only hope he attacks the rest of his career with as much gusto!

Advertisement