Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Annoying traits of radio presenters.....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,002 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Matt Cooper,

"and here's XXXX witch the news".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The guy who does the Sunday Business Show on Today FM - a sharp intake of breath free with every sentence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭heybaby

mike65 wrote: »
    The guy who does the Sunday Business Show on Today FM - a sharp intake of breath free with every sentence.

Easily fixed, he just needs to slow down with his delivery and move away from the microphone, his producer really should be telling him to do so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

heybaby wrote: »
    Easily fixed, he just needs to slow down with his delivery and move away from the microphone, his producer really should be telling him to do so.

You do know I agree with your point on the aircheck debate but what do you do with a presenter like the one on Shannonside last Friday morning who had a grand total of 17 "eh's" in his final link on the breakfast show. Now i may have lost count but it just caught my attention as i scanned the dial. I don't think I hear that type of poor presentation on some of the more established community/hospital stations. It was awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭heybaby

bbability wrote: »
    You do know I agree with your point on the aircheck debate but what do you do with a presenter like the one on Shannonside last Friday morning who had a grand total of 17 "eh's" in his final link on the breakfast show. Now i may have lost count but it just caught my attention as i scanned the dial. I don't think I hear that type of poor presentation on some of the more established community/hospital stations. It was awful.

Wow 17 in one link !!??? Now thats alot but I recall about four years ago listening to Ben Murray on 'its your call' on FM104 and he at the time was guilty of the exact same thing, loads of eh's ums and aw's per link, now he has improved massively and Id say thats because he was pulled up on it and instructed to prep links. If you prep a link, it has a beginning, a middle and most importantly an end, you have less chance of stumbling, less chance of eh's and less repetition and your link has a purpose.

I agree with your point about some community / hospital stations being superior in this regard but this could be down voluntary stations scripting links to give them help when delivering on air, whereas with commercial stations some presenters especially when not airchecked regularly tend to think they know it all, get sloppy , dont prep and the you have a litany of eh's ...

Ultimately its down to management. Stations spend so much time on selecting the correct music for their station yet so little time polishing the performance of the person who talks in between the songs, its vital. Now not everyone will like any given dj but the very least that dj can do is deliver tight clean links that dont pish the listener off.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Going Forward

heybaby wrote: »

Ultimately its down to management. Stations spend so much time on selecting the correct music for their station yet so little time polishing the performance of the person who talks in between the songs, its vital. Now not everyone will like any given dj but the very least that dj can do is deliver tight clean links that dont pish the listener off.

I have often wondered just how much management actually focus on the quality of presentation and music selection as opposed to how advertising sales are going coupled with squeezing as many ads per hour into the schedule.

On Beat FM one of my locals, little is paid to anything as far as I can see, but they have no competition in the area regarding age group targets, so anything goes, as long as its aping 'Dublin' DJs.

Similarly SER has certain woeful presenters and newsreaders who genuinely cant read, yet they have great listnership figures.

Foreign news stories present particular challenges!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Jeremy Dixon feigning stupidity by pretending he doesn't know the name of a song and asking people to text in with the answer.
    You're sat in front of a computer, Jeremy, GOOGLE IT.
    Then you have the gobsheens who ring up to ANSWER HIS QUESTION and so I don't know who's worse.

Adrian Kennedy repeating himself over and over and over when talking about a phone in competition.

E.G "Text the word GIG, that's G.I.G to 53104 and you could win tickets to see (insert band name)..once again text the word GIG, that's G.I.G to 53104..I'll be calling someone back tonight so you've got just over and hour to text in..Once again, text GIG, that's G.I.G to 53104"

WE GET IT. WE'RE NOT STUPID. WE KNOW HOW TO SPELL THE WORD "GIG" AND YOU'VE SAID IT ABOUT FIVE TIMES IN TEN SECONDS. STOP BEING MORONIC."

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

fussyonion wrote: »
    Jeremy Dixon feigning stupidity by pretending he doesn't know the name of a song and asking people to text in with the answer.
    You're sat in front of a computer, Jeremy, GOOGLE IT.
    Then you have the gobsheens who ring up to ANSWER HIS QUESTION and so I don't know who's worse.

In fairness, it IS a *phone* show... this kind of simple little stunt is a standard ploy to get people in the mood for texting/phoning. What's the point of him GOOGLING IT when he can just get the listeners involved and maybe get a conversation going?
    Adrian Kennedy repeating himself over and over and over when talking about a phone in competition.

E.G "Text the word GIG, that's G.I.G to 53104 and you could win tickets to see (insert band name)..once again text the word GIG, that's G.I.G to 53104..I'll be calling someone back tonight so you've got just over and hour to text in..Once again, text GIG, that's G.I.G to 53104"

WE GET IT. WE'RE NOT STUPID. WE KNOW HOW TO SPELL THE WORD "GIG" AND YOU'VE SAID IT ABOUT FIVE TIMES IN TEN SECONDS. STOP BEING MORONIC."

This, again, is pretty standard and not exclusive to Adrian.

It's just making sure that the message gets through to the listener. YOU may not be stupid yourself, YOU may have gotten the message, but no matter how clear it's made, there are still SO many people who get it wrong in their text and pay for the pleasure (at 20c a text!).

While you should obviously never talk down to them, you should also never underestimate the potentially limitless extent of the stupidity of the public and always make things as clear as possible!

I've been on the receiving end of the texts as a presenter & producer and you'd honestly be surprised how many people, for example, get the keyword wrong (.e.g.: put WIN or COMPETITION at the start instead of GIG), spell the keyword wrong (yes, it happens ALL the time, no matter how simple a keyword you've used), put the keyword in quotes, just leave out the keyword, put the text number into the actual text at the start, etc. etc. etc. - all of which means they DON'T get entered into the competition but still get charged for the text... so yes, it's important to be as clear as possible to try to ensure that the number of morons falling through the cracks is reduced as much as possible!

Personally, my pet peeve on radio at the moment is when a presenter has ideas far above themselves and an unwarranted over-inflated ego. I could name a couple of examples, but I'd rather not as I know them personally. Tone it down, folks... your personality is important - sure, but it's not all about you - it's about your listeners/contributors/callers/the music. Get on with the business of entertaining us!

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭essdee

What annoys me is the way Gavin Jennings says "Morning Ireland" as if he's speaking to someone called Ireland. It happens when he speaks the two words alone (not when he says "You're listening to Morning Ireland" or "Welcome back to Morning Ireland"). He stresses the first syllable of Morning. It comes across to me as grumpy and a bit pretentious. The programme might have a big audience, but by no stretch of the imagination is he speaking to "Ireland." None of the other presenters on the programme have this affectation.

Has anyone else noticed it?

essdee wrote: »
    What annoys me is the way Gavin Jennings says "Morning Ireland" as if he's speaking to someone called Ireland. It happens when he speaks the two words alone (not when he says "You're listening to Morning Ireland" or "Welcome back to Morning Ireland"). He stresses the first syllable of Morning. It comes across to me as grumpy and a bit pretentious. The programme might have a big audience, but by no stretch of the imagination is he speaking to Ireland. None of the other presenters on the programme have this affectation.

Has anyone else noticed it?

Yes i have, but undecided as to whether it annoys me or not.
    A bit like Good Morning America I suppose.

Yes, it is a bit annoying alright!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭downonthefarm

sean moncrief when he goes mmmmm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

sinead desmond on ireland am ...."tuewitter" "tuewenty tuewo" lm prob spelling it wrong but she cant pronounce words beginning with "tw" have to put her on mute sometimes !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

NIMAN wrote: »
    Matt Cooper,

"and here's XXXX witch the news".

....the nooooze...I gave up listening to Matt Cooper some years ago. That was one of the things that used to irritate me about him, 'saherday' was another.

sean moncrief when he goes mmmmm
    Not forgetting when he goes ahhh emm emmm ahhhemmmm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

Bobby Kerr. when he goes, "...............

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭djh2009

Lapin wrote: »
    Here are some of mine.....

Chris Donoghue (Newstalk) - His sharp use of the letter T.

Although i fully agree with you on that one, for some reason he doesn't pronounce the "T" in the word twenty. The word to him has become "twenny".
    A most annoying trait from a most annoying little scroat !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Black Suir

Cat noises made by WLR's Karen Tomkins are very annoying. So do are the little segments that she and Timmy do where they pretend to be someone else, A Russian Gym Instructor and a woman called Tiffany this morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭Evan DietrichSmith

There's a lad Conor Brophy who I think does the business news on RTE.

Pronounces the letter 'o' as 'u' as in 'money' being pronounced as ' munny'

and government being called 'guvernment'.

Very annoying as 'utherwoise' he is quite good.

Also ,not Conor now but where did this 'Koe-erk' pronouncitation for 'Cork' spring from?

And finally!

Aoife Carragher AA Roadwatch, reduces her voice to one of the harshest rasps I have ever heard when she signs off after the bulletin.

I'd say she could burn through a steel door with it.!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

There's a lad Conor Brophy who I think does the business news on RTE.

Pronounces the letter 'o' as 'u' as in 'money' being pronounced as ' munny'

and government being called 'guvernment'.

Very annoying as 'utherwoise' he is quite good!

Isn't money pronounced munny? Never heard anyone say monny or mone-ee

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭reg114

pronouncitation
    .!!

Enlighten me, pronouncitation? One man's imperfect diction is another's imperfect spelling.

• Advertisement

Neeson wrote: »
    Isn't money pronounced munny? Never heard anyone say monny or mone-ee

Heh heh , you're kidding right?

Sorry bout the typo on pronunciation :o

Heh heh , you're kidding right?

Sorry bout the typo on pronunciation :o

Bit how is it pronounced? Monny?
    Mone-ee

Bit how is it pronounced? Monny?
    Mone-ee

Exactly .. He's on now calling 'months' 'munths'

Standard and Poors being the uuther two...

Terrible stuff

I always heard it as munny. Anything else would sound strange and drawn out.

MONNAY
    MONY

I always heard it as munny. Anything else would sound strange and drawn out.

MONNAY
    MONY

Don't be acting the gombeen man.

I haven't time for that.

Don't be acting the gombeen man.

I haven't time for that.

I'm not taking the piss I'm actually serious. I checked a video on YouTube there and it showed the American English pron. and it was munny sounding. Might be different here though? Spell out phonetically how it's meant to be because I have been wrong all the time the same as Conor!

Maybe the problem is that he stresses the wrong syllable?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

Exactly .. He's on now calling 'months' 'munths'

Standard and Poors being the uuther two...

Terrible stuff
    Munth is correct as is Muny.

Fuzzy Clam wrote: »
    Munth is correct as is Muny.

:D

Sorry lads won't play your game.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

:D

Sorry lads won't play your game.
    No games. Its pronounced with a U, unlike troll which is pronounced Trol.

Advertisement