Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Annoying traits of radio presenters.....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Radio is for life

There's a lad Conor Brophy who I think does the business news on RTE.

Pronounces the letter 'o' as 'u' as in 'money' being pronounced as ' munny'

and government being called 'guvernment'.

Very annoying as 'utherwoise' he is quite good.

Also ,not Conor now but where did this 'Koe-erk' pronouncitation for 'Cork' spring from?

And finally!

Aoife Carragher AA Roadwatch, reduces her voice to one of the harshest rasps I have ever heard when she signs off after the bulletin.

I'd say she could burn through a steel door with it.!!

In think you may need to go back to school with a comment like that or should I pronounce that as sc-ooo-ll

Should I refer to you as numpty or a numbty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Pat Kenny - Portoogal, In Studio, Parse . . .
    Dunphy sluring, sounding pissed, and fighting.
    Matt Cooper (too many mangled words to list).
    Marian Finucane swallowing & chocking.
    George Hook & his daily nasal blockage.
    Tara Duggan (Newstalk News) depressing :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

LordSutch wrote: »
    Pat Kenny - Portoogal, In Studio, Parse . . .
    Dunphy sluring, sounding pissed, and fighting.
    Matt Cooper (too many mangled words to list).
    Marian Finucane swallowing & chocking.
    George Hook & his daily nasal blockage.
    Tara Duggan (Newstalk News) depressing :(

You forgot Ray Darcys sighing

• Registered Users Posts: 7,301 ✭✭✭jmcc

Marty Whelan - just being on Lyric FM and playing MOR schlock and then humming along to it without muting the mic.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

There's always a clip being played on Will Leahy's show of a man saying "Very happy, very happy" in a strong culchie accent.
    It's been going on YEARS now and it does my head in.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

Cunnur Hnt, Ur-tee-eee news

That man cannot pronounce anything with an O without substituting it for a U. Someone take the spud out of that gob****es mouth.

I dunno how many times I rang RTE to complain about him.

(Well, actually I do. 4 times. 4.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭Evan DietrichSmith

newmug wrote: »
    Cunnur Hnt, Ur-tee-eee news

That man cannot pronounce anything with an O without substituting it for a U. Someone take the spud out of that gob****es mouth.

I dunno how many times I rang RTE to complain about him.

(Well, actually I do. 4 times. 4.)

Well done, some of us have standards.

Let me guess, you got no response?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭Radio5

" slopping out is a way a life for prisoners in Cork prison" , so said Jenny O'Sullivan on the 6pm Radio news last week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

Will Leahy's shouty voice. And his never ending countdown to Friday.
    Eejit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭Evan DietrichSmith

MJ23 wrote: »
    Will Leahy's shouty voice. And his never ending countdown to Friday.
    Eejit.

With you on that one, this countdown to the weekend is a bit hackneyed now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

With you on that one, this countdown to the weekend is a bit hackneyed now.

Only 5 days til Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,002 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

The way DJs love to tell you that "the weekend has officially started" gets on my wick.

Who are they to tell me that 2pm on a Friday afternoon is the weekend, when I'm stuck at work for a few more hours.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

NIMAN wrote: »
    Who are they to tell me that 2pm on a Friday afternoon is the weekend, when I'm stuck at work for a few more hours.

They're also stuck in work, which makes it even odder. Should be announcing it at the *end* of their show maybe.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Going Forward

Derek Mooney's panic attack of a handover to Mary Wilson if his show runs seconds past half past four.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

That fella who does the Today FM phone in after the Prem League game is the 'pits of the world' if Smashy (or is it Nicey?) had a football phone in this is how it would sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,048 ✭✭✭prunudo

mike65 wrote: »
    That fella who does the Today FM phone in after the Prem League game is the 'pits of the world' if Smashy (or is it Nicey?) had a football phone in this is how it would sound.

Haha, was only thinking 10mins ago that I'm surprised there's nobody on boards giving out about him.
    I'm not mad on him myself but I kind of blank him out and just listen to the fans opinions.

Johnny Lyons is his name, used to do the sports news on 98fm

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Paul "i lár na páirce" Collins and his sharp intake of breath after every sentence when reading the sports news on Today FM.

Neil "Mind you" Prendeville

• Registered Users Posts: 10,227 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii'm Rebecca Lee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭Dublin_Mom

Aoife Carragher AA Roadwatch, reduces her voice to one of the harshest rasps I have ever heard when she signs off after the bulletin.

I'd say she could burn through a steel door with it.!!

Even worse, same Aoife Carragher does not represent AA roadwatch, but...EH EH roadwatch

I really have to switch off every time she is giving the report as it irritates me so much. Dont know where her accent is from but its awful

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 77 ✭✭A.J.Plumb

Dublin_Mom wrote: »
    Even worse, same Aoife Carragher does not represent AA roadwatch, but...EH EH roadwatch

I really have to switch off every time she is giving the report as it irritates me so much. Dont know where her accent is from but its awful

She is from Cavan as far as I know...pops my earwaxx big time does our Aoife !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,223 ✭✭✭jellybear

Aoife Carraghers croak every morning at the end of "AA Roadwatch" makes me feel physically sick. It's as if she couldn't care less who she's reporting for and just wants to finish the 30 second job she has to do every half hour!

As a side point the 'song' on the promo for Adrian Kennedy and Jeremy Dixon's new show on 98fm is beyond atrocious!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭annapanna

jellybear wrote: »
    Aoife Carraghers croak every morning at the end of "AA Roadwatch" makes me feel physically sick. It's as if she couldn't care less who she's reporting for and just wants to finish the 30 second job she has to do every half hour!

I can't bear her accent, it's like she thinks it's sexy to descend into a croak. The way she says 'eh eh' is just awful.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Going Forward

annapanna wrote: »
    I can't bear her accent, it's like she thinks it's sexy to descend into a croak. The way she says 'eh eh' is just awful.

TBH, all the AA segments are delivered in a rushed, careless way, with no format that I can discern, could start in Mayo or Waterford, in no order.

Surely one should be able to expect an intelligent report starting in Dublin, then running in alphabetical order each time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭Stavro Mueller

Where on earth did Today FM dig up their showbiz correspondent Georgie Gavin from? Her nasal dortspeak accent sounds like nails on a blackboard .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

NIMAN wrote: »
    Easily the most annoying thing on radio these days is Des Cahill's sports reports in the early morning show.

Has that fella got serious nasal/sinus problems? He sounds like he needs to see a doctor.

He's constantly sniffing, snorting, out of breath before the end of sentences, swallowing spittle etc when he's trying to do his report.

How do they vet people for jobs? Surely for the radio one of the main requirements would be a decent speaking voice with no annoying traits.

Callan -- I think it was (or Rosenstock?) -- did him up like a kipper for this. Sniff, sniff, munches sausage roll, etc. Unfortunately it just makes wheezy-Des all the harder to listen to. (Mind you, that's also true of half the TDs in the Dail...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Not so much a single presenter but the obvious "sad voice" adopted by presenters when they have some bad news to deliver to the people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Not so much a single presenter but the obvious "sad voice" adopted by presenters when they have some bad news to deliver to the people.

:confused::confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,650 ✭✭✭sheroman01

Newstalk - Off the Ball - there is a guest pundit for football who appears sometimes, kind of a "posh" Dublin accent. Has an unbearable habbit of saying "ehhhhhhhh" and "uhmmmmmmm" before every sentence. Anyone know who this is?

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Alicano

+1 for 'The weekend starts here'. I'm a shift worker :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭StreetLight

Michelle McMullen is a case in point, as well her ability to make. Every. Word. Sound. Like. A. Sentence.

Advertisement