Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Annoying traits of radio presenters.....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭WestWicklow1

Gavin Jennings used to annoy me pronouncing Theresa Villiers as Villers. I was delighted when she resigned :):)

Mary Wilson interrupting people.

Nuacht readers on RTE1 saying "balloyeery". WHF are they actually saying?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭JoeA3

sheroman01 wrote: »
    Newstalk - Off the Ball - there is a guest pundit for football who appears sometimes, kind of a "posh" Dublin accent. Has an unbearable habbit of saying "ehhhhhhhh" and "uhmmmmmmm" before every sentence. Anyone know who this is?

Dan McDonnell ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Heckler

From the Last Word.

Nick Webb the business guy. His over eager enthusiasm is grating.

Patrick Freyne the TV guy. Always sounds like he has a knowing smirk on his face and is about to start laughing at any minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Heckler wrote: »
    Patrick Freyne the TV guy. Always sounds like he has a knowing smirk on his face and is about to start laughing at any minute.

+1000.

Somebody on another thread said - "it sounds like someone is tickling his balls".

His sidekick Jennifer (?) on that slot is even more grating.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,650 ✭✭✭sheroman01

JoeA3 wrote: »
    Dan McDonnell ?

No, not him. His accent is horrible but he's a little bit tolerable at least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Matt Copper (whom I normally don't mind to be fair) and his pronunciation of theatre as "TEE-ay-TURR". It's like fingernails down a chalkboard to my ears.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭Radio5

Presenters who feel the need to chat at length to whoever is doing the traffic reports (not just the AA roadwatch reports, any of them). Just let them tell us what we need to know and get on with it, no need for all the waffle.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,506 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Gavin Jennings used to annoy me pronouncing Theresa Villiers as Villers. I was delighted when she resigned :):)

Fair play to Jennings for showing respect to his subject and using the pronunciation she uses herself. Unlike the AA Roadwatch correspondent I heard recently telling us that there were traffic delays on the Gross vee nor Road in Belfast. He was using the Say what you See method but it just sounded wrong to my ears.

Other examples of where Say what you See would not work are the family names Belvoir, Beauchamp, Beaulieu, the aforementioned Grosvenor, and of course good old Captain Mainwaring. There are hundreds more, and the same goes for place names and trade names.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,710 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

I learned Grosvenor the hard way while in London years ago. :D

Just on Beauchamp, I would have always tended to pronounce that the French way but there is a fairly well-known firm of solicitors in Dublin called "Beauchamps" pronounced "Beechams." I have a really hard time associating the pronunciation and the firm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Fair play to Jennings for showing respect to his subject and using the pronunciation she uses herself. Unlike the AA Roadwatch correspondent I heard recently telling us that there were traffic delays on the Gross vee nor Road in Belfast. He was using the Say what you See method but it just sounded wrong to my ears.

Other examples of where Say what you See would not work are the family names Belvoir, Beauchamp, Beaulieu, the aforementioned Grosvenor, and of course good old Captain Mainwaring. There are hundreds more, and the same goes for place names and trade names.

Dun La-gare ferry was once mentioned on British radio.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

Didn't know this thread existed.

Áine 'I'll do it' Lawlor. I eh think she eh does the odd eh job around R.T. eh E.

If she goes off script for any amount of time it's eh, eh, eh. She's a professional,well paid broadcaster ! Wish tf she'd learn to string a few words together with out all the eh's. Drives me NUTS.

When she gets together with Paul Reynolds (crime) who's the same, it's radio out the window time.

"Thanks very much eh indeed" for reading
    she actually said that ^

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Ian Dempsey is annoying me lately singing over songs

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭peking97

Worst of all has to be Olivia O'Lairy (sic) as well as all the folks who mispronounce Et Cetera as Eggsetra!

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Radio is for life

Not so much a single presenter but the obvious "sad voice" adopted by presenters when they have some bad news to deliver to the people.

That's the basics of radio presenting (1st year stuff), hence the reason I assume you don't work in radio and never will, if you think there is something wrong with delivering bad news in a somber tone.
    Just saying!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Jack the Stripper

Is that clown that is on early evening still forcing everyone to tell them that they love him, 2fm.

That's the basics of radio presenting (1st year stuff), hence the reason I assume you don't work in radio and never will, if you think there is something wrong with delivering bad news in a somber tone.
    Just saying!

Its the way it switches though, nearly comical so obvious it's its artifice.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Howard100

Is that clown that is on early evening still forcing everyone to tell them that they love him, 2fm.

Eoghan McLovin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭dense

Right here goes, Playing the Gay Byrne Radio Show theme under a regular show "segment", often getting the hour wrong when giving a time check, allowing feedback, and pretending to be getting caught out by track intros.

That's all from one presenter!

And of course, promising some stupid piece of interesting information which can't be imparted right now but in a "little while".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,190 ✭✭✭bobbyss

That Lillian Smith. Can't stand her. Switch off quickly. Constantly telling us she's live from Cork. Who gives a ....?

And those stupid requests.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭crossman47

Just saw this thread. The rugby commentator Michael Corcoran always says "the match referee" (what other ref is there?) and "at this moment in time" - just say now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

crossman47 wrote: »
    Just saw this thread. The rugby commentator Michael Corcoran always says "the match referee" (what other ref is there?) and "at this moment in time" - just say now.

Moving forward, back in the day,awsome, you guys ,super excited, like, like........its the way they speak now...:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 19 CaptainPants

Pretending to be dumb as a brick in order to be a link between the clever person being interviewed and the presumably moronic average Irish Joe:

"I mean jaysus Mr. Krugman, I mean what is all this Economics crack all about really, it all sounds a bit high falutin to me..."

THe kinda thing George Bleeding Hook might say

• Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

Moving forward, back in the day,awsome, you guys ,super excited, like, like........its the way they speak now...:pac:

If you distilled the typical post-match interview down to its meaning, without the whole "culchies do management-consultant speak", and general verbal ticks, you'd be left with nothing at all. (Besides maybe "we lost and I has a sad", etc.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭yeppydeppy

I've stopped listening to radio because of these muppets - all of them - they're all terrible. Then you have the repetitive news bulletins and the pointless and useless traffic reports and the really annoying ads - jesus the ads! So now I just listen to a good book from the library.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

yeppydeppy wrote: »
    I've stopped listening to radio because of these muppets - all of them - they're all terrible. Then you have the repetitive news bulletins and the pointless and useless traffic reports and the really annoying ads - jesus the ads! So now I just listen to a good book from the library.

Its clear you dont need to be literate to read the news these days, the amount of mispronunciation is appalling, and as you said they repeat the mistakes all day...or is that just on nova...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

Why do presenters have to introduce Irish bands / Singers as "Coming up we have Irish music from ...The Coronas".

Is it done in any other country when they are introducing domestic acts?

Not a presenter, a regular guest on Pat Kenny's programme is some fella from the sciences (TCD or UCD) who guffaws at the beginning and/or middle and/or end of almost every sentence he utters. At this stage I think it's probably just as weird tic that doesn't happen once the red light goes off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭yeppydeppy

Not a presenter, a regular guest on Pat Kenny's programme is some fella from the sciences (TCD or UCD) who guffaws at the beginning and/or middle and/or end of almost every sentence he utters. At this stage I think it's probably just as weird tic that doesn't happen once the red light goes off.

Dr. Hibbert by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭gamecube

Chris Greene on 2fm saying.....Hi my name is Chris & this wonderful woman her name is Ciara!

(After 4 years on 2fm we know both yourself & Ciara's first ******* names!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

Why do presenters have to introduce Irish bands / Singers as "Coming up we have Irish music from ...The Coronas".

Is it done in any other country when they are introducing domestic acts?

Dunno, but wouldn't be surprised if it happened in other jurisdictions where they're swamped by a culturally dominant neighbour. France and Canada sprang to mind as possibilities, but I suppose if the content is in the French language, rather unnecessary to belabour the point.

Advertisement