Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Annoying traits of radio presenters.....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

Radio5 wrote: »
    Sean Rocks on Arena. There was a guest on last Thursday reviewing shows at the Galway Arts Festival. I'd say she hardly got through a sentence without being interrupted. Must be in the RTE book of instructions.

I’m terrible for interrupting myself but I’m not on radio. It’s crept into RTE Radio 1. Sarah McInerney was dreadful interviewing Dara O’Brien from FF today. Guy from Late Debate, Cormac O Hara is atrocious.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,061 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

dense wrote: »
    Why do AA traffic reports usually sound like horse race commentaries?

Rapid, random and breathless?

It's all those "rindabouts"

when taking a breath...*A combination of smacking lips,and a sharp intake through the nose*..Drives me nuts:mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

"s" being very soft and lispy, particularly prevalent in younger presenters, mostly female, but not always.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

The 2 sports guys Des Cahill and Paul Collins with their sniffing and snoring between words

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 386 ✭✭aroundthehouse

The 2 sports guys Des Cahill and Paul Collins with their sniffing and snoring between words

Both sound like they have mouths full of coleslaw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭Squatter

honeybear wrote: »
    I’m terrible for interrupting myself but I’m not on radio. It’s crept into RTE Radio 1.

Guy from Late Debate, Cormac O Hara is atrocious.

I find that every show presented by CO'H is more about what he thinks/says, rather than what his guests/interviewees want to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭Neames

"All that good stuff...." - Ivan Yates.

George Hook used that phrase a lot as well as "Hold a while..hold a while".....

Headwrecking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Sean O'Rourke has this weirdly dismissing way of saying 'Yeah..' or 'OK...' after any of his guests finish telling a story - always sounds like he was just waiting for them to shut up so he can start talking again.

And Marian Finucane's OutRAGEd WEIRldy EMPHAsisED MODe of spEECh when she thinks anything a guest has said is even mildly controversial is a touch grating.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,062 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Avoid Shane Beatty on KFM. He hasn't a notion.

"Oh, I didn't know they got black Ice in Canada."

I kid you not, he said those words, shocked he was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

beertons wrote: »
    Avoid Shane Beatty on KFM. He hasn't a notion.

"Oh, I didn't know they got black Ice in Canada."

I kid you not, he said those words, shocked he was.

Very hard to listen to him, he must do very little if any research into the topics he discusses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭crossman47

Any of the sports presenters during a news bulletin who say "And we will bring you all todays action in sport" when they are about to give a few 30 second snippets.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,062 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Very hard to listen to him, he must do very little if any research into the topics he discusses.

He was a gofor for Clem, a while back. Clem ditched the early mornings, and being the CEO was probably looming at the cheapest replacement. And I'm a regular listener, but it's Sunshine or 4FM from 9-11.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

sports presenters about to give an update or result starting with "I can tell you that Liverpool are 1-0 down......."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

can we just put all the sports presenters and programmes and news segments on one chanell--'sports fm ' so they rest of us don't have to be bothered with e.g Rory's progress on a golf course every hour on the hour no matter what you're listening to .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭johnire

Fergal Darcy constantly saying that basically everyone is “a good friend of mine” or calling callers “brother “. What’s all that about??

• Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Susan Cahill, presenter of Talking Books on Newstalk.

Not her voice. The cadence of her phrases. Oddly enough, only when she’s doing her “I’m presenting on the radio to a radio listener” voice. When she’s chatting to a guest she could pass for a normal human, having a normal conversation. When she’s doing her links though, she somehow morphs into some quasi-robotic did-a-course-in-radio-presenting vocoder.

Bizarre. Sometimes comical. Sometimes it’d make your teeth itch. Depends on your humour.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

johnire wrote: »
    Fergal Darcy constantly saying that basically everyone is “a good friend of mine” or calling callers “brother “. What’s all that about??

Don't forget "Legend" to basically anyone that speaks to him. I've noticed he's turning into another Gerry Ryan:

Caller: Hi Fergal, yes I've a problem with me Fallopian tubes.......
    Fergal: Ya know, I had exactly that same problem when I was a young fella......

You’ve hit the nail on the head! Yes “legend” is another one!

whiterebel wrote: »
    Don't forget "Legend" to basically anyone that speaks to him. I've noticed he's turning into another Gerry Ryan:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Mutant z

Talking down to and being condescending to their callers this largely applies to Joe Duffy just because you earn a decent wage on the national broadcaster doesn't make you better than everyone else this is the problem when you have bang ordinary presenters like Ray Darcy earning huge sums on RTE that they are somehow gods gift to broadcasting.

• Advertisement

johnire wrote: »

oh man that drives me insane, everyone is "a very good friend of mine"

The slot he did with Declan Pearce over at Audi in Germany was crigneworthy

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Howitzer the 5th

whiterebel wrote: »

The mention of 'Fergal D'Arcy and 'Gerry Ryan' in the same sentence is so incongruous and utterly astonishing that I've had to be picked up off the floor!

I appreciate you're making a point to illustrate something. Ryan was of course polarising. Often maddening and repulsive but often also brilliant.

That gimp from the whest on today fm is a bucket of puke. A born galoot who's horribly over promoted and woefully out of his depth.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭SheroP

Yeah the energy overload is killing me, cool the jets Fergal

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭supernova5

Mwireoin O' Connell on Todayfm has got to be the most pretentious individual on radio, she takes annoying, cringe worthy and puke inducing to a whole new level.....

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭SheroP

While I do listen to today fm, why do they make it so hard, all this nonsense constantly promoting themselves indirectly,”go and see so and so ,UNBELIEVABLE MARVELLOUS show” blah blah or “make sure and listen to my podcast” .really kills me,oh funny you should mention tag line and on then about some other promotion !! Ok that enough

anyone know what happened with Neil Delemere? whilst I enjoy marios show at the moment, its hard to see how he can keep it going long term as its so dependent on the guests, i thought they had some sunday brunch show on there for a while with susan feminism keogh but maybe it was scrapped

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

Ray Darcy is terrible for asking guests questions and answering them himself straightaway! Just now, in a group discussion about Love Island, he asked one of the guests: “Do your family all watch it?” Immediately HE answered: “They do”

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Howitzer the 5th

honeybear wrote: »
    Ray Darcy is terrible for asking guests questions and answering them himself straightaway! Just now, in a group discussion about Love Island, he asked one of the guests: “Do your family all watch it?” Immediately HE answered: “They do”

No more is required.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Presenters who bang on about the JNLR's when things are rosy, but dont mention them when theyre nova.....:D

• Advertisement

I have to agree. She really is hard work to listen to. I can never get over her accent. Where on earth did she get it from? It certainly wasn’t from Limerick anyway!She has the most irritating habit of repeating words and sentences.
    supernova5 wrote: »
    Mwireoin O' Connell on Todayfm has got to be the most pretentious individual on radio, she takes annoying, cringe worthy and puke inducing to a whole new level.....

Advertisement