Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Martin McGuinness to be named as Sinn Féins candidate for the Presidential Election?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭blahfckingblah

Cicero wrote: »
    ^^^^^..no.."he" mean this...below is original OP post....I have asked for reasons why M.McG should be president...OP has asserted that these are his reasons.....I see nothing here in this post that merits presidential consideration.
    when i said he i was refering to Wolfe tone not you, and I quoted the relevant statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Frogeye

I detest SF but for some strange reason Martin is the first candidate that jumped out at me. For some reason I seem drawn to him. I am well aware of what the Provos did and stood so I'm confused but it looks like he will be getting my vote! I can't explain it.

As an aside, what would people think if the UUP or DUP were by some chance to put a candidate forward? Just putting it out there.....I guess whoever they might select would be seen as a traitor to his/her own community and there would be issues getting them a nomination and doubtless the unionest parties have no interest in doing it anyway but.....Ian Paisley for president?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭anymore

Frogeye wrote: »
    I detest SF but for some strange reason Martin is the first candidate that jumped out at me. For some reason I seem drawn to him. I am well aware of what the Provos did and stood so I'm confused but it looks like he will be getting my vote! I can't explain it.

As an aside, what would people think if the UUP or DUP were by some chance to put a candidate forward? Just putting it out there.....I guess whoever they might select would be seen as a traitor to his/her own community and there would be issues getting them a nomination and doubtless the unionest parties have no interest in doing it anyway but.....Ian Paisley for president?
    Truth be tols, there are members of the Unionist Community who do apply for Repubic of Ireland passports because sometimes it is more convenient to travel on the irish passport than on a UK one !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

^^^^^..no.."he" mean this...below is original OP post....I have asked for reasons why M.McG should be president...OP has asserted that these are his reasons.....I see nothing here in this post that merits presidential consideration.
    I think he has proved himself as a great statesman, he is capable of working well with people totally opposed to everything he stands for, he just got back from a trade mission to the US, he is perfectly used to rubbing shoulders with world figures, from British PMs to Nelson Mandela, to American presidents, he has met them all and handled himself excellently. He is well liked abroad and the man himself is a friendly and likable bloke. He certainly has the skill-set and experience that a president needs. If elected he will be sure to use the position, as McAleese has to a degree, to build relations across all divides in Ireland. He is a very experienced politician and he has done quite well as deputy first minister.

On top of that he is a republican and I share many views with him, in addition he is sure to highlight the cause of the disenfranchised Irish men and women in Ireland who cannot vote in the presidential election. I think that he will be an ideal man to oversee the centenary of 1916.

They are some of the reasons why I think he is a great candidate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Wolfe Tone wrote: »
    I think he has proved himself as a great statesman, he is capable of working well with people totally opposed to everything he stands for, he just got back from a trade mission to the US, he is perfectly used to rubbing shoulders with world figures, from British PMs to Nelson Mandela, to American presidents, he has met them all and handled himself excellently. He is well liked abroad and the man himself is a friendly and likable bloke. He certainly has the skill-set and experience that a president needs. If elected he will be sure to use the position, as McAleese has to a degree, to build relations across all divides in Ireland. He is a very experienced politician and he has done quite well as deputy first minister.

On top of that he is a republican and I share many views with him, in addition he is sure to highlight the cause of the disenfranchised Irish men and women in Ireland who cannot vote in the presidential election. I think that he will be an ideal man to oversee the centenary of 1916.

Good points there wolfetone .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

when i said he i was refering to Wolfe tone not you, and I quoted the relevant statement.

not starting an argument with you...but I did ask the OP to assert his position as to his reasons why M McG should be president....he referred me to his original post...I saw nothing in his original post that would merit such a claim...you quoted only part of the OP's original post which was inaccurate...I quoted the entire post above...

edit...just reading OP's response now...let me time for reply please....

not starting an argument with you...but I did ask the OP to assert his position as to his reasons why M McG should be president....he referred me to his original post...I saw nothing in his original post that would merit such a claim...you quoted only part of the OP's original post which was inaccurate...I quoted the entire post above...

edit...just reading OP's response now...let me time for reply please....
    brick wall ,,,head ,,,bang.... On topic I have met him a few times and he seems to be a good man, talks away, knows his stuff. Hes miles ahead of Gerry in my books

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭anymore

I wont be voting for him, but I have to say one of my reactions on hearing this was to take a perverse pleasure in the hope that Bertie Ahern would be only infuriated at this news.;)

I think he has .....................

I'm glad you have cleared that up OP

...you are now putting forward more reasons than you did originally for M McG as president..yet you referred me to your original post when I asked you for reasons..so...I will now look at these...

I think he has proved himself as a great statesman,

In what way OP?

he is capable of working well with people totally opposed to everything he stands for,

...but what has that got to do with the Presidency of Ireland?

he just got back from a trade mission to the US, he is perfectly used to rubbing shoulders with world figures, from British PMs to Nelson Mandela, to American presidents, he has met them all and handled himself excellently.

yes..I am being flippant here but...let's vote Bono so...

He is well liked abroad and the man himself is a friendly and likable bloke.

seriously...no...seriously....^^^^...that's an argument for being President of Ireland?

He certainly has the skill-set and experience that a president needs.

and that would be what exactly?

I think that he will be an ideal man to oversee the centenary of 1916.

why?

He is a very experienced politician and he has done quite well as deputy first minister.

so how does that help the Republic of Ireland?

Why dont you tell me what you think qualifies people to be president?

• Advertisement

Why dont you tell me what you think qualifies people to be president?

It's not my thread.....it's yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Foghladh

in addition he is sure to highlight the cause of the disenfranchised Irish men and women in Ireland who cannot vote in the presidential election. QUOTE]

Would that be restricted to voting in the presidential elections do you know?

It's not my thread.....it's yours.
    Its a discussion not an interrogation, I'm interested in knowing what your opinion is?

Its a discussion not an interrogation, I'm interested in knowing what your opinion is?

with due respect..my original and continuing query and purpose for posting in this thread rests with the OP...happy to post my opinion in another thread but not this one..

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Marty is that what his followers call him!!!

I have no idea what his followers call him. It's what I call him.
    Seems like a lovely woman and I do think she did a brillant job, but I would have prepared if she had actually come from our country, given that she was the figure head for it. And yes - I would definitely have prepared is the Republic of Ireland Presidential salary had gone to a citizen of this country - by the by that doesn't mean they have to be born here to me - be the entitlement thing just because your from Northern Ireland -sad.

I don't think people from Northern Ireland should automatically be entitled Republic of Irish passports, anymore than I think I should be entitled to a Northern Irish passport or a passpert to any other country.

So you think Irish citizens whould have their citizenship revoked. Nice of you. What about people born outside the state to Irish parents or grandparents?

Calling someones opinion silly just because you don't agree with is stupid and to IMO stupid truimphs silly everytime - but then intolerence is another historical feature of Sinn Fein supporters - yet another reason I'd rather they stayed in Northern Ireland :rolleyes:

It is silly. It's silly because Martin McGuiness is a citizen of the Republic of Ireland and therefore elligible to stand for elecetion in this country. Not voting for someone perfectly entitled to stand for election because you don't think they should be a citizen in the first place doesn't make a lick of sense. If you don't agree with his politics, then fine, don't vote for him.

You have no idea what my politics are by the way. Where did I say I have ever voted for Sinn Fein, or am ever likely to? You have made that assumption. To accuse me of intolerence is also laughable, coming from someone who would deny the right of citizenship to people born in Northern Ireland.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Moonfruit

Out of what is on offer, Mr Mcguinness is the best choice.
    He's done a lot for Irish politics and the Island of Ireland which what we are regardless of those who don't believe in thus.
    The winds of positive change are blowing our way, cast aside thoughts of recession and embrace our family that is Northern Ireland, accept back our prodigal son.
    President McGuinness
    'A president to be proud of'

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭ninjasurfer1

It's silly because Martin McGuiness is a citizen of the Republic of Ireland and therefore elligible to stand for elecetion in this country.

When did he become a citizen of the Republic of Ireland? :confused:

I know he's entitled to be part of the irish nation, but when did he become part of the political entity known as the Republic. (He's from Derry).

Not having a go, by the way. Just curious about whether being a citizen of the irish nation entitles someone to automatic membership of the republic.

I know he's entitled to be part of the irish nation, but when did he become part of the political entity known as the Republic. (He's from Derry).

Not having a go, by the way. Just curious about whether being a citizen of the irish nation entitles someone to automatic membership of the republic.

I'm not sure how to answer this. I have no idea what you mean by "Irish nation".

The official name for the 26 counties is Poblacht na hÉireann/Republic of Ireland. Anyone born in the 6 counties is entitled to citizenship of the Republic of Ireland.

It doesn't matter where he was born, the law states he can hold an Irish passport and is therefore a citizen of the Republic of Ireland.

they/them/theirs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

As far as Irish law is concerned, there is no difficulty about holding Irish citizenship and at the same time citizenship of another State. If you were born in Ireland prior to 1 January 2005 then you are entitled to be an Irish citizen.Dont know whether its automatic or you have to apply,presume you would have to apply.

Are we really going to go down this road of "he's not Irish"? Really? He is entitled to citizenship, as is everyone born in Ireland, and he has an Irish passport too.

• Advertisement

well saying as theres no difference between his citizenship than mine or yours then theres no point in viewing him as any different than me or you.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭jbkenn

Moonfruit wrote: »
    Out of what is on offer, Mr Mcguinness is the best choice.
    He's done a lot for Irish politics and the Island of Ireland which what we are regardless of those who don't believe in thus.
    The winds of positive change are blowing our way, cast aside thoughts of recession and embrace our family that is Northern Ireland, accept back our prodigal son.
    President McGuinness
    'A president to be proud of'
    I must have missed something here, what exactly has he done for the Republic of Ireland?, the citizens of which will have to fund his Presidency.
    The role of President is largely symbolic, but it does carry the role of Commander in Chief of Óglaigh na hÉireann, no, not the "tochaigh ar la" crowd, but the Defence Forces http://www.military.ie/which might lead to a slight conflict of interest on Martins part.
    Just a thought

jbkenn wrote: »
    I must have missed something here, what exactly has he done for the Republic of Ireland?, the citizens of which will have to fund his Presidency.
    The role of President is largely symbolic, but it does carry the role of Commander in Chief of Óglaigh na hÉireann, no, not the "tochaigh ar la" crowd, but the Defence Forces http://www.military.ie/which might lead to a slight conflict of interest on Martins part.
    Just a thought

What conflict of interest? The provisional IRA has called a permanent ceasefire and decommisioned it's arms. If it does still exist as an organisation, which I am sure it does, it's redundant and can't be far from disbanding.

they/them/theirs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

If people don't like him, don't vote for him. That is the democracy we live in. Everyone and his dog knows the past of Martin Mcguinness. If anyone wants to vote for him, they are entitled to use that vote. As are people against him.

He isn't going to win but that is just my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭ninjasurfer1

Are we really going to go down this road of "he's not Irish"? Really? He is entitled to citizenship, as is everyone born in Ireland, and he has an Irish passport too.

When did i say he's not Irish?
    I specifically said he's entitled to be part of the irish nation (as per article 2 of the constitution). However, the definition of the nation is quite vague.

My query was around the potential conflicts of being part of the Political Irish state with all of its own laws and also falling within the remit of the UK and its own laws.
    Simple questions like, which countries laws take priority, etc.

Again, i'm not stirring, just trying to get answers..

What conflict of interest? The provisional IRA has called a permanent ceasefire and decommisioned it's arms. If it does still exist as an organisation, which I am sure it does, it's redundant and can't be far from disbanding.
    oh.. I thought it had disbanded already, seeing as it has been out of work since 2nd of December 1999, redundancy paid in full and all, you learn something new every day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

I have to agree - he has an impressive political resume for the position of President - the skillset is there moreso than any other candidate or seeker of a candidacy.

For a lot of people here that will be a bitter pill to swallow.
    But the Presidential election in teh pat two decades is more about personality and this will be the dirtiest election ever!

gambiaman wrote: »
    I have to agree - he has an impressive political resume for the position of President - the skillset is there moreso than any other candidate or seeker of a candidacy.

I think people need to bring themselves up to speed on what exactly the Presidency of Ireland entails, it might bring some clarity to the contributions here.
    Have a look here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/President_of_Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭nordydan

It's silly because Martin McGuiness is a citizen of the Republic of Ireland and therefore elligible to stand for elecetion in this country.

I am sure if MMG had recently won a golfing major, he'd be readily accepted as "proper" Irish! Freestaters can be very a la carte about their definition of nationality

• Advertisement

You challenged my post earlier..I responded...I heard nothing further...this is your thread...in future...please don't challenge my posts if you don't want to debate and respond.....I'm not interested in people being selective in their debate, plain and simple....you haven't in any way shown how M.MC G is presidential material...which is the point of your original post in this thread....

Advertisement