Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Martin McGuinness to be named as Sinn Féins candidate for the Presidential Election?

Options
1192021222325»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Alopex

He is second favorite to win on paddy power. If he does win it will be preceived as the Irish public oficially backing the Provisional IRA campaign, by Protestants in Northern Ireland.

Now that's not to say I would believe that, I wouldn't as I understand the dynamics of the Irish presidential election, but that is how it will be perceived by Ulster Scots, and also the rest of the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

They mentioned another poll on the RTE Six One news, with 500 participents who voted Norris No1, Higgins No2, and McGuinness/Davis joint third.

There will be many polls between now and the real poll.

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭crucamim

seamus wrote: »
    Yes, apologies. On re-reading what I wrote, "led" is not what I intended. "aggravated" is probably closer to what I actually meant.

Surprise, surprise, like I requested previously in this thread and got no coherent responses, McGuinness himself has refused to clarify what a "West-Brit" is. He knows, like those that use it here on boards, that it's a derogatory term which directly implies an anti-British agenda on the part of the person who uses it.

Anti-Brit bigotry certainly influenced the direction of much of the violence in Northern Ireland. Whether it aggravated the extent of the violence is another question for another thread on another day.

As for this term "West Brit". I do not know how Martin McGuinness means it but to me it means a native of Eire who is an enemy of the Catholic people of Northern Ireland. e.g. Most Eire journalists.

Alopex wrote: »

If he does win it will be preceived as the Irish public oficially backing the Provisional IRA campaign, by Protestants in Northern Ireland.

What does it matter how THEY would see it?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

He is second favorite to win on paddy power. If he does win it will be preceived as the Irish public oficially backing the Provisional IRA campaign, by Protestants in Northern Ireland.

Now that's not to say I would believe that, I wouldn't as I understand the dynamics of the Irish presidential election, but that is how it will be perceived by Ulster Scots, and also the rest of the world.

To be honest ulster scots in the past saw the peaceful civil rights movements as Ira. So those that held or still hold that opinion are irrellevant in world politics. Also those who fail to condem the supramcest orange state at the time would hardly be in a position to criticise what or what not our state backs.

• Advertisement

steddyeddy wrote: »

Also those who fail to condem the supramcest orange state at the time would hardly be in a position to criticise what or what not our state backs.

People, who were so anxious for political power, they agreed to have Martin McGuiness as their Deputy First Minister, would hardly be in a position to complain if he manages to use that position to achieve higher things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Probably. But then again, most Unionists accept the conflict is over and we are still in the Union. Martin Mcguinness has went down a different road now. Even Gregory Campbell has admitted that. It seems to me a lot of people in the Republic are to still come to terms with Martin Mcguinness and his past.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,970 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

but that is how it will be perceived by Ulster Scots, and also the rest of the world.

Ulster Scots? Jesus Christ, lets just invent a group to be offended!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

KeithAFC wrote: »
    Probably. But then again, most Unionists accept the conflict is over and we are still in the Union. Martin Mcguinness has went down a different road now. Even Gregory Campbell has admitted that. It seems to me a lot of people in the Republic are to still come to terms with Martin Mcguinness and his past.

There are people in the South who make Ian Paisley look sensible and progressive. They will never be able to come to terms with SF, it is simply beyond their capabilities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

There are people in the South who make Ian Paisley look sensible and progressive. They will never be able to come to terms with SF, it is simply beyond their capabilities.
    Why not? This is what I would like some to explain.

Ulster Scots? Jesus Christ, lets just invent a group to be offended!
    Yeah, the Ulster Scots people in Ulster. I think he was basically making the point a large amount of people from that background will probably think that. But I would say not all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

It will be will it? Then should it be perceived that those who are still wanting to be under British rule in the north and vote for loyalists etc.. are backing the murder and oppression of Irish?
    But yet he is voted as deputy minister and yet if Irish vote him Irish president they will be somehow be feeling Irish people are backing Provos?
    And the rest of the world.
    See that shatter one(Alan Shatter said he would not agree with a former IRA commander being head of the Irish defence forces.)
    Disgraceful he brought that in speaking in Brussels.They have no say in our presidency and neither does any other country in world.And majority of countries agree with British rule out of Ireland.So i dont know why you are making like they give a **** if he is president or not.
    And he should be suspended for making those comments.

Read more: http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/sf-shatter-comments-on-mcguinness-completely-wrong-521793.html#ixzz1YoN7W9qr

Sounds like he is ****ting with Irish forces under his power will go to war with England lmao

Advertisement