Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

STOVES questions and answers here(see mod note in post 1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Brianne

Our inset stove will not stay burning overnight, it needs to be refuelled pretty often if its to keep rads hot.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭NobodyImportant

Hi all,

Getting a multi fuel stove installed in the next 2 weeks, nothing too fancy. The house is 120 years old and they are dropping in a double skinned flue, but they have said they need to knock a hole behind the mirror above the fireplace to insulate the chimney. Does this sound normal? Whats it for?

I wasnt there when they said this.

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

To Nobody! They need to break open the bottom of the chimney to re seal the bottom so that no dangerous flue gasses get up outside the flue liner and excape into the rooms above from the old chimney. They sound like they know what there doing to be doing this. Please read my attachment and you'll where I'm comeing from.
    ps. I personally think that stoves are brilliant, but only if installed correctly and also get a carbon monoxide alarm for the room.
    My Sister Avril.docx

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭NobodyImportant

Thanks, glad to hear they are being safe. I have 2 monitors already, might get another 2 for upstairs room just in case of leaks (4 chimneys close together, blocking the 2 upstairs ones and worried about leakage from one flue into a blocked one).

Look up me attachment about my sister please in previous message.thanks MD/ scudo2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 annieb2010

Hi,
    I'm looking at buying a multi-fuel boiler stove that will heat 15 rads (all various sizes but all double rads). House is 2,500 sq.ft. Wondering has anyone any recommendations on the best make or best performer. I was looking at the Glenmore 30KW http://www.stovescentre.ie/Shopping/Product/470-Glenmore-30kw-Boiler.aspx
    but would like some feedback from someone who has one, on how good it is.

Another option is the Green 30b but I have never heard of this make so unsure about it, although it does come with a 5 year guarantee so I would assume that they are pretty good if offering that?????

Any recommendations / experience from anyone with a stove that does actually heat 15 rads and water.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Poker Face

Sanchez83 wrote: »
    I see this crowd are doing a great deal on a Boru Carrig Mor-
    Irish made with warranty but there website doesnt actually say how long.
    http://www.emeraldstoves.com/special-offers#!/~/product/category=5695085&id=23714537

Previously i was raving about this stove and even though it hasnt been used much since still think its fantastic.
    http://www.henleystoves.com/boiler-stoves/the-druid-30kw-stove

Hi Sanchez83

In previous posts you mention this stove from Henley
    http://henleystoves.com/insert-stoves/the-achill-16-4kw-boiler-insert

Did you actually go for it? Im thinking of getting one of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kcb

Any advise on best place to go for 6kw room heater stove in Cork?

Looking for a good deal! Traditional multifuel, nothing too fancy will do.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,579 ✭✭✭micks_address

Local builders providers are a good place to start..
    kcb wrote: »
    Any advise on best place to go for 6kw room heater stove in Cork?

Looking for a good deal! Traditional multifuel, nothing too fancy will do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,248 ✭✭✭GY A1

Brianne wrote: »
    Our inset stove will not stay burning overnight, it needs to be refuelled pretty often if its to keep rads hot.

no stove will really, going to have to be topped up regulary for any heat, hows ur insulation, amybe ur losing alot of heat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,579 ✭✭✭micks_address

Hi folks Stanley sent me out some stove paint to touch up our matt cara. It's only the edges really where there are a few scratches. Has anyone any tips on applying the paint? Do you need a particular type of brush or anything?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭restive

Do any insert stoves have a lowish output to room and a high output to radiators? I like the stratford tf90 but would like an insert.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭JonnyM

I am looking at the Yola 25kw boiler stove for my house. I have 14 rads to heat. It says that the stove is 75% efficient so does this bring the kw output down? Also i dont want to go to all the trouble of fitting a stove only to find out it 'just about' heats my rads as i would prefer it to be able to do it with ease. I had a plumber give me a price and he said i would need about 20kw to the water and 6kw to room.
    I have a 4 bed semi.

Thanks

restive wrote: »
    Do any insert stoves have a lowish output to room and a high output to radiators? I like the stratford tf90 but would like an insert.

We have the Yola 17kw insert 14 to water and 3 to room. If I could have got one with more to the room I would have taken it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭restive

My problem is that my stove is in the kitchen and it gets uncomfortable hot. My existing stove gives 6kw to the room and heats the rads well. Ideally I would like a stratford tf90. It gives 4.5kw to the room and more heat to the rads than my existing stove. But to save space I would like an insert.

Restive our room 16 x 12 ft plus a large double rad which was on the whole winter. We just got the stove last winter and most definitely only for the rad we would not have enough heat atall from stove on its own into the room as 3 from a boiler insert is very little. Its fantastic to heat the rads, we have 2 large doubles and 5 large singles from it. It takes a bit of getting used to from an open fire but we're very pleased with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭emg74

Have you looked at the Stratford EcoBoiler Range - We got the EB12 last summer and are delighted. We got the stand alone model but there are insert versions too. Apparently they are far more efficient at heating water than the older Stratford models. I can't praise ours highly enough, it is a really great little stove.

Seems to be super efficient on fuel and once the rads get going it doesn't take a lot of fuel to keep them on. We only turned on the oil a handful of times over the last winter and didn't use alot more fuel than we did with our previous stove (charnwood Country 6) which just heated the cylinder and didn't heat any of the rads

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭vinniemac

I've a question in relation to a house that I'm about to refurbish. I'll be installing gas fired central heating but want to have standalone gas fired stoves like the Waterford Stanley Oisin model in two rooms.

There are existing chimneys that currently have 1970s gas fires fitted into them. I want to remove both fireplaces to fit the stoves. What else do I need to allow for? I don't particularly want traditional fireplaces, but obviously the walls around the stoves would need some heat resistant material. Similarly, what do I need in terms of a hearth? Will I need flue liners etc? I haven't gone shopping yet for the stoves, but would like to know the right questions to ask when I do, and also need to know what to ask the builder to provide.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Galego

Hi lads,

Looking for an insert stove. Not sure what size to go for. It will go in the fireplace for a living room (approx. 3x4 sq m).

Would I notice much different between a 5kw and a 6.6 (or 7) kw?

Was looking at the following models:

Stanley Cara 4.9kw
    Henley Achill 6.6kw

What are your thoughts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭Sanchez83

I myself would go with the higher heat output as it can get quite cold during the winter.You can reduce the heat by fueling less and using the air controls in the 6.6kw.In the 4.9 if its not hot enough all the fuel in the world wont push it past 4.9.
    Other factors need to be taken into account also such as the warranty coverage and of course the price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Galego

Sanchez83 wrote: »
    I myself would go with the higher heat output as it can get quite cold during the winter.You can reduce the heat by fueling less and using the air controls in the 6.6kw.In the 4.9 if its not hot enough all the fuel in the world wont push it past 4.9.
    Other factors need to be taken into account also such as the warranty coverage and of course the price.

Thanks for the advise.

Silly question now. What's the difference between an insert and an inset?

I would ideally be looking for something which can be pushed into the existing fireplace hole without any further work or attachments to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭Sanchez83

They are the same thing :P
    Some people say inset,others insert.
    Crisps or Taytos,Coke or Cola etc

emg74 wrote: »
    Have you looked at the Stratford EcoBoiler Range - We got the EB12 last summer and are delighted. We got the stand alone model but there are insert versions too. Apparently they are far more efficient at heating water than the older Stratford models. I can't praise ours highly enough, it is a really great little stove.

Seems to be super efficient on fuel and once the rads get going it doesn't take a lot of fuel to keep them on. We only turned on the oil a handful of times over the last winter and didn't use alot more fuel than we did with our previous stove (charnwood Country 6) which just heated the cylinder and didn't heat any of the rads

Glad I found your post. I've an EB 12 insert here but not due to be fitted into the hearth till Monday. Pulled out an old non boiler model and was a bit worried about heat output to room. Guess I won't really know till next Tuesday. Hope its not too warm Tuesday as I won't be able to wait to give it a go..... eager beaver...............:)

vinniemac wrote: »
    I've a question in relation to a house that I'm about to refurbish. I'll be installing gas fired central heating but want to have standalone gas fired stoves like the Waterford Stanley Oisin model in two rooms.

There are existing chimneys that currently have 1970s gas fires fitted into them. I want to remove both fireplaces to fit the stoves. What else do I need to allow for? I don't particularly want traditional fireplaces, but obviously the walls around the stoves would need some heat resistant material. Similarly, what do I need in terms of a hearth? Will I need flue liners etc? I haven't gone shopping yet for the stoves, but would like to know the right questions to ask when I do, and also need to know what to ask the builder to provide.

Just had a look at the Waterford Stanley site. You said you are looking for a gas fired stove....? The site only lists solid fuel, oil, or pellet as far as I can see.

If you are fitting a wood burner stove you can use an adapter into an existing lined chimney (like a clay pot lined chimney etc.). They sell them pretty cheap everywhere however it is not legal to do that in the U.K.

(Make sure to do a good chimney sweep first, mine wasn't too bad but you need to clean it before anything else).

There (U.K.) you must use a flexible chimney liner into the existing chimney. (Main grades 904 and 316, again google it)

Personally I had an adapter on the old stove but am replacing the stove and will use the flexi liner. More expense but doing it properly I suppose, safer too I guess. Google it, loads of info out there, actually tons of info on boards.ie

Speaking of which If you buy a liner take great care with it. I bought mine and had it laid out in the shed flat. Went into shed on Tuesday, stood on a rake, bounced off the lawnmower and fell onto the liner. They are not solid so I crushed it right in the center. Cue much screaming, not in pain but in sheer anger. Expensive fall.

Now I'm going to mention a crowd again but not because I want too but because I feel I have to. I rang (Tuesday) explaining to them (Hurst Heating and Plumbing, Mayo) what had happened hoping that they would not laugh at me too much (need the liner NLT next Monday for install) and that I needed a new liner. They had it here yesterday (Wednesday) at 9.30 a.m. Unbelievable....less than 24 hrs later the courier was at the gate with it.

So although I am still really annoyed at myself for the stupidity of falling on the bloody thing it's not so bad because they looked after me price wise too, which I thought was unusual in Rip off Republic.

I am about 200 miles from them so thats great work from them. They do a good deal on stoves, at least thay did on my Stratford Ecoboiler EB 12 Insert (It was €500 euro cheaper than anything local). Others may not find the same bargain from them I don't know.

Anyway here's a linkie http://www.hurst.ie/

Mostly over the years I have found almost all retail customer service absolutly terrible. (I actually wanted to use a lot of expletives but will refrain). I guess I'm just not used to decent retailers. Anyway best of luck to those guys, hopefully they are around many years from now.

P.S. Just another note here. I decided to use a pothanger cowl <which they (Hurst) don't do> and went to a local shop.

He quoted me €235. I couldn't help myself and actually had it out before I could stop myself... I said "are you off your f%^$*&g rocker".....

He insisted it was €235 and that they made little from the profit margin so I told him to change supplier and buy them in retail from U.K.... Only 80 sterling online.

Then he did a bit of rummaging and phone mumbling, came back and told me it was a mistake. It is €100.
    I told him to keep it I'd get it online. Don't know if that was a genuine error or a complete rip off. But basically if you a buying a stove, liner or parts..... do your research first.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭Robbie.G

Galego wrote: »
    Hi lads,

Looking for an insert stove. Not sure what size to go for. It will go in the fireplace for a living room (approx. 3x4 sq m).

Would I notice much different between a 5kw and a 6.6 (or 7) kw?

Was looking at the following models:

Stanley Cara 4.9kw
    Henley Achill 6.6kw

What are your thoughts?

I have a cara insert and I find it to be ample for our room which is around the same size as yours

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Francescoli

Hi,
    Looking for an insert stove. Not sure what size to go for,my room is approx. 13ft x 24ft.The room is fairly well insulated but has 2 doors into it and 2 large windows (5"8x4"4FT) at either end of the room.The calculators I have tried have all came in around 5KW,so is that a minimum and should I be looking at 6 or 7 KW ?
    I want it to go into the existing fireplace but not sure if it is suitable.Its a wooden fireplace with a marble hearth,I don't think I have sufficient space.Would I need to get rid of the wood and replace it with something non combustible ?

dqap.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭JonnyM

anybody any suggestions for a good boiler stove of about 25kw and over?

Looking at a yola 25kw stove at the minute but would like to know if anyone has something similar or better.

Hi,
    Looking for an insert stove. Not sure what size to go for,my room is approx. 13ft x 24ft.The room is fairly well insulated but has 2 doors into it and 2 large windows (5"8x4"4FT) at either end of the room.The calculators I have tried have all came in around 5KW,so is that a minimum and should I be looking at 6 or 7 KW ?
    I want it to go into the existing fireplace but not sure if it is suitable.Its a wooden fireplace with a marble hearth,I don't think I have sufficient space.Would I need to get rid of the wood and replace it with something non combustible ?

We had a 7kw here that was a standalone. It was quite warm and heated two joined rooms but so much is variable. Manufacturer, install, ventilation etc..... The more I read the more I get confused. I have seen a few done with the fireplace left totally intact i.e. with the surround left in place. The wooden surround looked too close to the stove for my liking in most I have seen but there are recommended minimums to combustable (i.e. your surround) matierals from the stoves.

Here's a link for one manufacturers guide to fitting though I would recommend reading several to get a good picture.....
    http://www.mulberrystoves.com/install-guide.html

guidelines: (from the above guide)

1) You must have a gap of 150mm each side of the stove to non combustible materials and 230mm if there are combustible materials to the side.

2) You must have 230mm above the stove to non combustible materials and 460mm above the stove if there is combustible materials (for example wood)

• Advertisement

Hi,
    I want it to go into the existing fireplace

but not sure if it is suitable.Its a wooden fireplace with a marble hearth,I don't think I have sufficient space.Would I need to get rid of the wood and replace it with something non combustible ?

dqap.jpg

Thats my fireplace ya teeving fecker!!

On a serious note. Insert fires go against a flat surface, will you b cought with the cast grin dome?

Advertisement