Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

STOVES questions and answers here(see mod note in post 1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Brianne

We have 14 to water and 3 to room from our Yola so 4.5 to room sounds very good. What size is your room and do you have a rad in that room also?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭Widescreen

Hi folks, we have a large lounge which is hard to heat. It is 26 ft x 12ft. We are strongly thinking about a stove which would then also throw heat through to the kitchen and upstairs etc due to our layout.

Just a couple of questions!

1. Can anyone recommend a company in the Limerick area to purchase the stove from who would also come out and survey the fireplace etc first.

2.Would the chimney cleaning be done from the bottom up through the stove?

2.Is the cleaning involved any different to a standard chimney clean?

thanks

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,579 ✭✭✭micks_address

Hi Guys,

I'm sure this has been covered before but I wanted to get peoples opinions on how to light a stove so you always get it going as quickly as possible.

With our Cara insert i have tried with a couple of dry turf, couple of bits of kindling, a chunk of fire lighter and a briquette or two.

When i light the fire - i have the secondary air control full open and the spin dial on the front bottom fully open - the fire will blaze away for a few minutes until the kindling burns out but the other material doesnt light and the fire tends to nearly go out for maybe 20 minutes and smoulder away and then it will catch fire and blaze away. The trouble is if i open the door during this period smoke will come back into the room.. once the fire gets going i turn down the air controls and then its easy for the rest of the night refuelling etc..

I guess its a combination of maybe the flu warming up and maybe not adding enough kindling to the mix? What do people generally use to get their stoves going?

Cheers,
    Mick

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭Robbie.G

Hi Guys,

I'm sure this has been covered before but I wanted to get peoples opinions on how to light a stove so you always get it going as quickly as possible.

With our Cara insert i have tried with a couple of dry turf, couple of bits of kindling, a chunk of fire lighter and a briquette or two.

When i light the fire - i have the secondary air control full open and the spin dial on the front bottom fully open - the fire will blaze away for a few minutes until the kindling burns out but the other material doesnt light and the fire tends to nearly go out for maybe 20 minutes and smoulder away and then it will catch fire and blaze away. The trouble is if i open the door during this period smoke will come back into the room.. once the fire gets going i turn down the air controls and then its easy for the rest of the night refuelling etc..

I guess its a combination of maybe the flu warming up and maybe not adding enough kindling to the mix? What do people generally use to get their stoves going?

Cheers,
    Mick

The turf is to hard to light straight away.Go with paper,kindling,firefighters then a dry log or a small shovel of coal ie Antracite or supacite then when it establishes throw on your turf and close down your air

• Registered Users Posts: 12 josieannawfd

Does anybody have experience of this inset stove - – Boru 900i Double Sided.

We just bought a 1978 build detached house and we are planning to take out the two back to back fireplaces in living room and kitchen and install this stove instead.

Can anybody recommend this or give recommendations for double sided insert stoves? Its an expensive buy for us at 2,100 so we want to be sure.

We will not be putting in a back boiler.

Thanks.

• Advertisement

Hi Guys,

Cheers,
    Mick

I just use kindling, dry small timber pieces and a larger log on top and some smokeless coal. Secondary air I leave open all the time so window does'nt blacken. Spin dial in front full open for a few mins then close it down.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭peadar76

I'm trying to source a stove that is a room heater but is also cable of sending hot air via ducts to adjacent rooms. I'm pretty sure such a thing exists but I am having difficulty finding one. Has anyone heard of this type of stove? I'd appreciate if anyone can point me in the right direction

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭paul71

peadar76 wrote: »
    I'm trying to source a stove that is a room heater but is also cable of sending hot air via ducts to adjacent rooms. I'm pretty sure such a thing exists but I am having difficulty finding one. Has anyone heard of this type of stove? I'd appreciate if anyone can point me in the right direction

Regency stoves from Canada. At the moment they only sell in EU in some central European countries but should be here fairly soon. I brought a 22kw stove in a few weeks ago and installed it in my fathers house, it is heating 5 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms and 1 livingroom and a kitchen/dinningroom/living room via insulated tubes to all those rooms. Pretty effective so far but winter will reveal how well it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭Robbie.G

Try here might be similar to what your looking for
    http://vesta-heat.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Tifosi

Scan or Stovax, you are limited on the length of ducting to be installed to benefit from the warm air, currently 3m. Installation of a fan may improve this but verify with the manufacturer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭Widescreen

Hi folks, we have a large lounge which is hard to heat. It is 26 ft x 12ft. We are strongly thinking about a stove which would then also throw heat through to the kitchen and upstairs etc due to our layout.

1. Can anyone recommend a company in the Limerick area to purchase the stove from who would also come out and survey the fireplace etc first and advise the type of stove needed.

2.Would the chimney cleaning be done from the bottom up through the stove? If I had to get someone up on the roof every year it would be a bit of a pain I think.

thanks

Thanks!

Widescreen wrote: »

2.Would the chimney cleaning be done from the bottom up through the stove? If I had to get someone up on the roof every year it would be a bit of a pain I think.

thanks

Thanks!

We have to clean ours from the top down. Not popular for the cleaning guy but from the room point no soot or dust into it.

Not due a clean for a while but can anyone recommend a chimney sweep in North county Dublin, Lusk, rush area that will sweep from top down?

Much better results tonight lighting few pieces of coal in with the kindling and bobs your uncle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭Dtp79

Robbie.G wrote: »
    Try here might be similar to what your looking for
    http://vesta-heat.com/

I actually did something like this myself a few years ago as an experemint on a smaller scale just to heat one room. But could easily be modified to heat more rooms

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭robertxxx

Can people post pictures of ther finished stoves so others have an idea.

We have been given a quote for stove and installation which we feel is a bit high.
    Am I allowed to ask about coatings on this forum?

What quote did ye get and what type of stove?

Brianne wrote: »
    What quote did ye get and what type of stove?

Boru 600i double sided. Recessed 6cm each side. Comes in about €1650.

We have taken out fireplaces on both sides. But rest of work is putting hole in wall, installing stove, building up wall.€1400 for labour and materials.

Total €3,050

We paid 1400 for labour to put in an insert boiler stove and line chimney, that was not including stove or materials.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭Sanchez83

Sometimes you can get a better deal for installation if you buy your stove off a shop that also can fit it for you.
    I was quoted a nice reduction on fitting of about e200 less in a shop that had their own fitter.Another shop recommended a fitter but no reduction as he was obviously working for himself.

Ya the quote there is with the shop fitter. V expensive altogether but if that's the going cost...

• Registered Users Posts: 39 The Stove Man

Ya the quote there is with the shop fitter. V expensive altogether but if that's the going cost...

Very hard to say about prices without knowing the extent of the work or the materials included.

Best option is to get 1 or 2 more quotes from other fitters and you will then know if the price is right, stove fitters are all quiet at this time of year and you will get quotes back quickly

You say there is a 6 cm recess each side, this will need to be tiled or a metal frame created, if it is just plaster boarded or skimmed it will crack badly within weeks.
    The hardest part of fitting a stove is creating a surround that will not crack from the heat of the stove, so ask fitters plenty of questions as to how this will be achieved

Sanchez83 wrote: »
    Hi DK,
    When we were in our local shop a few weeks ago inquiring about an insert boiler stove we were very impressed with the following stove.
    There was also a fantastic stratford option but it was out of our price range.

http://henleystoves.com/insert-stoves/the-achill-16-4kw-boiler-insert

this henley stove is new to the market so the only drawback is you will not be able to get any reviews of how it works, how long it lasts etc

The henley achill non boiler on which it is based is not exactly the market leader,ie. the door handle melts as soon as a good hot fire is lit :eek:

Widescreen wrote: »

1. Can anyone recommend a company in the Limerick area to purchase the stove from who would also come out and survey the fireplace etc first and advise the type of stove needed.

thanks

Thanks!
    Ryan stoves, they are in the parkway shopping centre and out in birdhill also, I have recommended them previously and the op was happy with their service as they do free call outs and surveys
    I have no connection to them and have never seen one of their finished jobs so get a call out and make up your mind from there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭Sanchez83

this henley stove is new to the market so the only drawback is you will not be able to get any reviews of how it works, how long it lasts etc

The henley achill non boiler on which it is based is not exactly the market leader,ie. the door handle melts as soon as a good hot fire is lit :eek:

A door handle is a small problem to be fair. I'm sure there is an option for a metal handle.At €200-€300 less than a Stanley Cara for a stove that's made in the same place id go with the better value one everyday! Its also a higher kw at 6.5 from the research i did.

As for the boiler version,it does have the aesthetics of the Achill but its more like a Stratford 12HE Inset boiler.It was the Stratford that we originally looked at and wanted but it was just too expensive. Ok we accept that it may not be of the quality of the Stratford but for the price difference and with a 5 year warranty sure it was the option for us.The bonus was that it was a higher output of 16kw and there was a cert from Gastec to prove it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Karate Chop

Hi Guys,

Great thread!

I'm looking to get an Inset Stove put into my living room soon and I would really appreciate advice on the following.

My living room is about 25' x 12' x 8'. I live in a bungalow and I would like to be able to keep it lit overnight and heat other rooms. Can some advise of a good shop in Dublin with a decent showroom and good staff?

I am going to get thermaboard on the external walls of my living room. Should I get this done at the same time and what do I need to consider with this, do I even need to do this if I get a stove in?!

Has anyone got a flat screen TV on the wall over the stove, sounds like a silly question I know, but I was thinking of cutting out a section of the therma board to leave space for a tv, anyone do this?

Someone mentioned pics of their own Stoves, that would be great!

Thanks.

Hi Guys,

Great thread!

I'm looking to get an Inset Stove put into my living room soon and I would really appreciate advice on the following.

My living room is about 25' x 12' x 8'. I live in a bungalow and I would like to be able to keep it lit overnight and heat other rooms. Can some advise of a good shop in Dublin with a decent showroom and good staff?

I am going to get thermaboard on the external walls of my living room. Should I get this done at the same time and what do I need to consider with this, do I even need to do this if I get a stove in?!

Has anyone got a flat screen TV on the wall over the stove, sounds like a silly question I know, but I was thinking of cutting out a section of the therma board to leave space for a tv, anyone do this?

Someone mentioned pics of their own Stoves, that would be great!

Thanks.
    Just re the TV don't put it over the stove, putting a tv over a fireplace is just about the worst place you can put it for viewing comfort never mind that the heat rising from the stove will damage it

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Karate Chop

Just re the TV don't put it over the stove, putting a tv over a fireplace is just about the worst place you can put it for viewing comfort never mind that the heat rising from the stove will damage it

I have a 42" flat screen above the Fireplace at the moment and it is about the best place in the room for it.

Regarding the heat, I was hoping that having it recessed into the wall would protect it to some extent, also if there was a mantle piece above the stove it might steer the heat away!

I'd be interested to hear if anyone else has done it without a problem...

• Advertisement

I have a 42" flat screen above the Fireplace at the moment and it is about the best place in the room for it.

Regarding the heat, I was hoping that having it recessed into the wall would protect it to some extent, also if there was a mantle piece above the stove it might steer the heat away!

I'd be interested to hear if anyone else has done it without a problem...

The Mantel should help deflect the heat. Is it a marble fire surround?

Advertisement