Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

STOVES questions and answers here(see mod note in post 1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭leanbh

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Gest

Robbie.G wrote: »
    It is possible depending on your plumbing.Is the heating an open vented system or sealed one? What's the layout of the house 3 storey or single storey? Where's the hotpress? These all have a factor in the stove so your best bet is to call in a plumber with knowledge of solid fuel and get their advice

It is an open vented system. The house is two storey with the hotpress upstairs about 2 meters vertical to the chimney.

Many thanks for your advice. I will def get an expert in just looking for general advice so I will know what I am talking about!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

leanbh wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Jotul F163, not completely circular but appears to me to be 450mm dia. Height 903. I have one on order!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

Two wee questions:

1. In an old house (built circa 1878) is it possible to not use a flexi flue and simply use the naked chimney flue space.

2. Dublin area can any one recommend someone to some fit a boiler?

Z

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭Sanchez83

IMO you should 100% use a flexible flue in a chimney that old and if possible use the highest grade possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Galego

Hi all,

this insert stove claims to be a "plug and burn" stove.

Firewarm Insert Stove
    http://www.firewarm.ie/insert_stove

Is it as simple as that?

Any advise would be much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭JonnyM

Looking for an insert stove over 20 kw within a budget of about €1500 anybody recommend one??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

Zipppy wrote: »
    Two wee questions:

1. In an old house (built circa 1878) is it possible to not use a flexi flue and simply use the naked chimney flue space.

2. Dublin area can any one recommend someone to some fit a boiler?

Z

Would you drive a car that old !!!!

From somebody (myself) who has lost his sister to carbon monoxide poisioning from a solid fuel cooker and leaking chimney in an old cottage.

I am shocked at the level stupidity in people. No personal offence intended to you I'm just totally shocked.

Get professional help please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭Sanchez83

I've never come across an insert stove over 20kw.About 17kw is as big as ive seen.
    Id imagine its because they are too small in size so a 20kw insert would be huge if one existed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Gosub

Hi all,
    looking for a recommendation on output.

1300sq ft open plan bungalow with attic conversion. Open stairs and open plan upstairs. Best insulation throughout and triple glazed windows.

The stove will be free-standing, non boiler, multi-fuel.

What output would suit this situation best?

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭GY A1

Gosub wrote: »
    Hi all,
    looking for a recommendation on output.

1300sq ft open plan bungalow with attic conversion. Open stairs and open plan upstairs. Best insulation throughout and triple glazed windows.

The stove will be free-standing, non boiler, multi-fuel.

What output would suit this situation best?

Thanks.

what room are u putting it in and how big is the room,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Gosub

GY A1 wrote: »
    what room are u putting it in and how big is the room,
    It'll be in an open plan living/dining/kitchen room, which is around 600 sq ft.

How to work out what size stove you need:

Why is this important?

It is very important that the output of the stove matches the area that you are trying to heat. There is no point having a stove with a very large output in small room, as the stove will not run efficiently and be too warm. Equally there is no point in having a stove with a small output sitting in a large room, which would not heat the room sufficiently. It is essential that you know the size of the room you are trying to heat at least. Other factors come into play as well, but a general estimate of the output needed to heat the room can be made using the measurements from the size of the room.

There are two ways of doing the calculation,

one is in feet, which calculates the minimum amount of British Thermal Units (BTU's) needed to heat the room (this can be converted into kilowatts)
    the other is in meters, which calculates the minimum amount of kilowatts (kW) needed to heat the room.
    Remember, that these calculations are a guideline. We recommend that you always take independent professional advice prior to making the final decision.

Calculation in feet:

Step 1: You need to take three measurements - the length and the width of the room, and the height of the ceiling. (L, W, H)

Step 2: Multiply each of these measurements - the length by the width and then by the height, and now you have the volume (cubic capacity) of the room). (L x W x H)

Step 3: You multiply the volume by a factor of either 5 , 6 or 7 based on the following:

If your room has an average amount of windows and doors and has an average amount of insulation, then multiply the volume by a factor of 5. (L x W x H) x 5
    If your room has a higher than average amount of windows and doors and has a lower than average amount of insulation, then multiply the volume by a factor of 6. (L x W x H) x 6
    If you room is north facing, or has little or no insulation, or has a very high number of windows and doors, then multiply the volume by a factor of 7. (L x W x H) x 7
    You now have the number of BTU's (British Thermal Unit's) required to heat your room.

Step 4: You can convert this total to kW's by dividing it by 3411.80.

Example:

Room dimensions - Length 20 feet, width 30 feet and ceiling height 8 feet (ie. 20 x 30 is 600sq foot)
    20 x 30 x 8 = 4800 cubic feet
    for average insulation and number of windows, 4800 x 5 = 24000 BTU's
    to convert to kW, 24000 / 3411.80 = 7.033 or 7 kW stove

you can go bigger if the room is open an the heat can circulate

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭roshje

Anyone got the Yeoman CL7NHB inset any feedback would great, cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

How to work out what size stove you need:

Why is this important?

It is very important that the output of the stove matches the area that you are trying to heat. There is no point having a stove with a very large output in small room, as the stove will not run efficiently and be too warm. Equally there is no point in having a stove with a small output sitting in a large room, which would not heat the room sufficiently. It is essential that you know the size of the room you are trying to heat at least. Other factors come into play as well, but a general estimate of the output needed to heat the room can be made using the measurements from the size of the room.

There are two ways of doing the calculation,

one is in feet, which calculates the minimum amount of British Thermal Units (BTU's) needed to heat the room (this can be converted into kilowatts)
    the other is in meters, which calculates the minimum amount of kilowatts (kW) needed to heat the room.
    Remember, that these calculations are a guideline. We recommend that you always take independent professional advice prior to making the final decision.

Calculation in feet:

Step 1: You need to take three measurements - the length and the width of the room, and the height of the ceiling. (L, W, H)

Step 2: Multiply each of these measurements - the length by the width and then by the height, and now you have the volume (cubic capacity) of the room). (L x W x H)

Step 3: You multiply the volume by a factor of either 5 , 6 or 7 based on the following:

If your room has an average amount of windows and doors and has an average amount of insulation, then multiply the volume by a factor of 5. (L x W x H) x 5
    If your room has a higher than average amount of windows and doors and has a lower than average amount of insulation, then multiply the volume by a factor of 6. (L x W x H) x 6
    If you room is north facing, or has little or no insulation, or has a very high number of windows and doors, then multiply the volume by a factor of 7. (L x W x H) x 7
    You now have the number of BTU's (British Thermal Unit's) required to heat your room.

Step 4: You can convert this total to kW's by dividing it by 3411.80.

Example:

Room dimensions - Length 20 feet, width 30 feet and ceiling height 8 feet (ie. 20 x 30 is 600sq foot)
    20 x 30 x 8 = 4800 cubic feet
    for average insulation and number of windows, 4800 x 5 = 24000 BTU's
    to convert to kW, 24000 / 3411.80 = 7.033 or 7 kW stove

you can go bigger if the room is open an the heat can circulate

Hmmm....
    So you install 100% efficiency stoves!
    That is also a very basic way of calculating heat loss requirements for a room.
    You need to take into account wall structure, north facing walls, number of external walls, suspended or concrete floors, size of windows, double glazing or single, etc. etc.

Hmmm....
    So you install 100% efficiency stoves!
    That is also a very basic way of calculating heat loss requirements for a room.
    You need to take into account wall structure, north facing walls, number of external walls, suspended or concrete floors, size of windows, double glazing or single, etc. etc.[/QUOTE]

its a guide for a starting point, but you know it all :rolleyes:
    each situation will have to be assessed to get it accurately,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

It's just doing it your way & if your guesstimate was accurate & the stove efficiency was 70% efficient, your stove will be 30% under-sized.
    Won't be happy campers sitting in front of it!

But thanks for wonderful vote if confidence in me. It's always nice to get such lovely comments.

shane0007 wrote: »
    It's just doing it your way & if your guesstimate was accurate & the stove efficiency was 70% efficient, your stove will be 30% under-sized.
    Won't be happy campers sitting in front of it!

But thanks for wonderful vote if confidence in me. It's always nice to get such lovely comments.

your welcome

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Pajo_16

Just had a boiler stove installed today. It's running an end terrace house with seven radiators and copper cylinder.

Hope it performs half as well as advertised... the open fire was costing fortune.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Brianne

Yes hope you ll be pleased with it. What make is that? Mind you it will still take a lot of fuel to keep your stove going also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Pajo_16 wrote: »
    Just had a boiler stove installed today. It's running an end terrace house with seven radiators and copper cylinder.

Hope it performs half as well as advertised... the open fire was costing fortune.

Hows that mantle holding up?

Is it becoming very hot?

Pajo_16 wrote: »

is that the boru stove, looks well

• Registered Users Posts: 8,506 ✭✭✭micks_address

Yeah i'd be worried about that... with our cara insert it would melt that from the wall.. maybe your stove is different or has a deflector or something on it..
    MugMugs wrote: »

Is it becoming very hot?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Pajo_16

MugMugs wrote: »

Is it becoming very hot?

We have not had it on long enough to confirm for sure but it does not seem to get too hot, considering the day they tested it it was 18 C outside. Hopefully when the weather turns I will return here and post some more info.
    is that the boru stove, looks well

Yes, it's the Boru Chieftain. I am an engineer by profession and spent many weeks trying to find a boiler stove that would fit into the fireplace opening. I found one in England but the total kW was too low and the output to the room was too high. I think this was the one I initially went after: http://www.stovesonline.co.uk/wood_burning_stoves/Woodfire-12i-boiler-stove.html
    I liked the Woodfire 12i as I could have kept the cast iron insert, which would have saved a couple of pounds, but, the more I looked at it I though the styles don't go well together.
    I found the Boru, not greatly advertised, contacted them and they pointed me to their installer in Antrim.
    Yeah i'd be worried about that... with our cara insert it would melt that from the wall.. maybe your stove is different or has a deflector or something on it..

Well, I could see that if it were only a stove, but as its a boiler stove and only 2 kW to the room. But again, I'll have to wait until the weather turns before I can confirm for sure.

Estimate we went with:
    £0120.00 1 x Cast Iron Back Panel
    £0899.00 1 Boru Chieftain Boiler
    £0060.00 2 x Vitreous Elbows [determined to be not required after]
    £0028.00 1 x Liner Adaptor
    £0207.00 9 m of Liner
    £0038.00 1 x Liner Cowl
    £0080.00 Materials & Backfill
    £0090.00 Plumbing & Fittings
    £0495.00 Labour
    £2017.00 Total
    £2420.00 Total Inc. VAT

• Registered Users Posts: 48 ltz400

i have a problem with a oil stove at my home house
    its a harmony2 boiler stove its not heating the water right it took 3hours this eve for the hot water cyclinder to get warm and it doesnt heat any rads what i notice was that the flow pipe from stove was very hot and the return was cold
    any reason for this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭Robbie.G

ltz400 wrote: »
    i have a problem with a oil stove at my home house
    its a harmony2 boiler stove its not heating the water right it took 3hours this eve for the hot water cyclinder to get warm and it doesnt heat any rads what i notice was that the flow pipe from stove was very hot and the return was cold
    any reason for this

Sounds like prob with circulating pump.
    It's proberly best to call in someone and it might be a good idea to get it serviced at this time also

• Registered Users Posts: 48 ltz400

thanks robbie
    as for pump if i turn down stat the pumps comes and works fine what i was thinkin would a laddamat valve would that help as i see it keeps the flow and return at almost same temp

i have a local plumber that does the big job hear but would be good to know whats happening

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭cordni

Hi there, I got a multifuel stove fitted last year and am absolutely delighted with it. I have however developed some cracks in the plaster surrounding the stove. Is there a heat resistent solution I can paint on to stop this happening?

many thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭seanin4711

Hi,
    need some info on what is the consensus on the most economical stove(non-boiler) for a regular semi-detached house,long and narrow sitting room.
    so many stoves like a needle in a hay stack.
    budget circa 350-450€
    thanks
    john

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Hi,

I'm going building on an extension onto our house (standard 4m by 3m) and am going to look to put a stove in the furthest corner from the main house. I have access to coal so I don't want to burn anything else and I don't want the hassle of hooking it up to the main heating so there'll be no back boiler on it, can anyone recommend a stove for me as well as a surround for the corner? I have looked around the internet and can't seem to find anything.

Advertisement